Switch Theme:

MCU tv shows, spoilers within.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Rampaging Carnifex





Toronto, Ontario

Watched the show last night with the wife and we both loved it. I wasn't really sure what to expect to be honest. Being a late 80s baby I wasn't exposed to a whole lot of vintage sit coms but that didn't seem to make much difference to how much I enjoyed the show. We actually watched it twice to make sure we caught all the Easter eggs.

I really do hate the weekly release format though, it just completely defeats the purpose of putting shows up on a streaming service. It just seems like they want to wrangle another month of subscription out of people. How about just having enough content that people never want to cancel? Crazy idea, I know.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Well, the weekly release format - y'know, the one that has worked since TV was a thing - does tend to keep people's interest in a series for longer than the weekend of release. Even ignoring subscriptions, that's got to be more useful (and valuable) to the network than the "dump and run" approach usually used by Netflix.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in ca
Rampaging Carnifex





Toronto, Ontario

Yeah I get that weekly release is a tradition wise ass. It's also antiquated as hell now. People have been binging their TV shows for about a decade at this point. Plus, people who prefer to watch only an episode a week can still do so if they put up the whole run at once.
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council






Well, lets not pretend weekly releases was be best because thats how it always was. IT was a product of restrictions on filiming, TV slots needing to be filled, and getting people to come back in order to go to advertisements.
Tradition =/= inheratnly better.
Culture around TV has changed, and while i like talking about a show, sometimes it can be frusterating when shows that where made with Binging in mind(Hyper serialized like Wandavision, The Boys, The Expanse) are now released weekly.
When older shows where released weejkly, you had a complete episode. Boom, done. come back next week for a new adventure.

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






I think more important then that, when tv was episodic with each episode returning to the status quo it didnt matter if there was a huge gap in time between episodes.

Now that long form story telling is being done with tv series using episodes as chapters in a singular narrative its more important to keep audience in the mood/theme/plots of the over all story. Binging helps the show get digested as it is meant to be. As a singular narrative. The weekly release schedule has me consume any amount of hours of other content that gets me feeling other feelings and sunk in to other themes and when i come back 7 days later i need to get myself back into the right head space.

Who are these people again? What did they do last week? What was that thing from 3 weeks ago being called back to now? It just doesnt work as well anymore with the types of stories being told.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/16 20:13:36



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in ca
Rampaging Carnifex





Toronto, Ontario

Thank you to hot sauce and lance for making my point more eloquently than I could
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Personally, I'm not sure it helps their revenue streams, either.

I was pondering subbing for the Mandalorian... once all the episodes were up. Then I remembered this was coming out, so decided not to. When this ends, I'm pretty sure I'll see how long it will be until some other show I'm interested in comes out and delay again.

When Mando season 1 happened, I did the free trial and dumped it afterwards. Unless there is a big glut of content coming, I'm just as happy not to sub. If I 'miss' something when its new, oh well.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council






Well lets also wonder, Mando was 2020s most pirated show, how much more does this encourage piracy?

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Trustworthy Shas'vre





Leicester

Less? It certaintly reduces spoiler potential, because there aren't people floating round in different time zones / shift patterns having binged the whole thing and put up clips before I even finish work for the day...

DS:80+S+GM+B+I+Pw40k08D+A++WD355R+T(M)DM+
 Zed wrote:
*All statements reflect my opinion at this moment. if some sort of pretty new model gets released (or if I change my mind at random) I reserve the right to jump on any bandwagon at will.
 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







 hotsauceman1 wrote:
Well lets also wonder, Mando was 2020s most pirated show, how much more does this encourage piracy?


It's the same entitlement culture we see with 40k rulebooks - "I want this content, but I don't think I should have to pay to access it."

I've not paid for Disney+, so I've not watched any of the Mandalorian bar a couple of clips on YT, and I haven't watched any of Wandavision beyond the trailer.

Should they come out with a boxed set - which they might've for Mando s1, I've not looked - I may pick them up that way, but until I do, I'm not going to try to pirate the content,

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Thinking about it some, I think Mando Season 2 is where Disney perfected their decision method for going weekly versus binging.

Mando Season 2 basically has a MASSIVE discussion point every two episodes on the show and was kind of a big cycle of Setup / Payoff then Resolution/Setup.

So people just kept on talking about the show, the anticipation of the next Discussion Point encouraging people to subscribe to see it first hand.

Then, of course, you get to the Season Finale and the Climatic Discussion Point with the anticipation for that meaning MORE people sign up...

And people are STILL talking about Climatic Discussion Point.

I'm sure this has all been focus grouped and planned out to the 9th degree... (Which is kind of insidious when you think about it, but then again, Mouse, it's kind of their thing, and would be other companies, if they were competent at it.)

But in an alternate world, where Mandalorian Season 2 was a binging show... This method wouldn't work. You wouldn't get that drip and drab of new people who were excited about what they heard of the Payoff of the last Discussion Point and the Setup of the next Discussion Point.

Instead, all that has just flown by in an evening. Ultimately, the only thing people would have really talked about was the Climatic Discussion Point, which would have likely just had the same impact as it did with the weekly release.


But bringing it back on topic, I'm wondering if my theory will pan out with WandaVision, I think it should... The Discussion Points may be smaller, more based on the shows mystery, but, I can see some echoes of the theory.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





even back in season 1 I read an article suggesting Disney had the right idea. they noted it kept people subscribed longer, obviously, it also, they noted, made it easier to talk about the show as everyone had reliably seen so far. they compared and contrasted it with the Witcher which had aired around the same time, and noted that around the holiday table people discussed the Mandalorian more then the witcher because it was easier to know how far along everyone was.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:
Personally, I'm not sure it helps their revenue streams, either.

I was pondering subbing for the Mandalorian... once all the episodes were up. Then I remembered this was coming out, so decided not to. When this ends, I'm pretty sure I'll see how long it will be until some other show I'm interested in comes out and delay again.

When Mando season 1 happened, I did the free trial and dumped it afterwards. Unless there is a big glut of content coming, I'm just as happy not to sub. If I 'miss' something when its new, oh well.


you'll be subscribed for the rest of the year then. once wanda vision finishes falcon and winter soldier comes out. after that finishes another thing comes out, disney plus basicly has a new series every two months for the rest of the year

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/17 21:05:26


Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




BrianDavion wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:
Personally, I'm not sure it helps their revenue streams, either.

I was pondering subbing for the Mandalorian... once all the episodes were up. Then I remembered this was coming out, so decided not to. When this ends, I'm pretty sure I'll see how long it will be until some other show I'm interested in comes out and delay again.

When Mando season 1 happened, I did the free trial and dumped it afterwards. Unless there is a big glut of content coming, I'm just as happy not to sub. If I 'miss' something when its new, oh well.


you'll be subscribed for the rest of the year then. once wanda vision finishes falcon and winter soldier comes out. after that finishes another thing comes out, disney plus basicly has a new series every two months for the rest of the year


Loki might bring me in. F&WS definitely won't. Third string tag-along characters 'bro-ing' around doing... stuff? Pass.
The 'Star' additions don't seem to be happening here, and the shows after Loki are kinda... eh. Ms Marvel is a maybe (not a character I know well, and the animated things they did with her, Squirrel Girl and an Agents of Shield/Spider-teen tie-in ensemble weren't that great) , Secret Invasion could be good, but that's a ways off.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/17 21:23:05


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






 Compel wrote:
Thinking about it some, I think Mando Season 2 is where Disney perfected their decision method for going weekly versus binging.

Mando Season 2 basically has a MASSIVE discussion point every two episodes on the show and was kind of a big cycle of Setup / Payoff then Resolution/Setup.

So people just kept on talking about the show, the anticipation of the next Discussion Point encouraging people to subscribe to see it first hand.

Then, of course, you get to the Season Finale and the Climatic Discussion Point with the anticipation for that meaning MORE people sign up...

And people are STILL talking about Climatic Discussion Point.

I'm sure this has all been focus grouped and planned out to the 9th degree... (Which is kind of insidious when you think about it, but then again, Mouse, it's kind of their thing, and would be other companies, if they were competent at it.)

But in an alternate world, where Mandalorian Season 2 was a binging show... This method wouldn't work. You wouldn't get that drip and drab of new people who were excited about what they heard of the Payoff of the last Discussion Point and the Setup of the next Discussion Point.

Instead, all that has just flown by in an evening. Ultimately, the only thing people would have really talked about was the Climatic Discussion Point, which would have likely just had the same impact as it did with the weekly release.


But bringing it back on topic, I'm wondering if my theory will pan out with WandaVision, I think it should... The Discussion Points may be smaller, more based on the shows mystery, but, I can see some echoes of the theory.


This. Weekly episodes deserve dense plotting. There’s stuff in episodes 1 and 2 I missed. So I’ll need to go back and re-watch. I expect much the same of the rest. Obvious stuff, nod and a wink stuff, call backs which add context to earlier happenings etc.

That strikes me as a less rewarding technique for binge series. Those should be spectacle all the way, to keep me bingeing.

Consider the mysteries around Wandavison.

Spoiler:
Wanda and Vision are both aware of their powers, and that need to keep them hidden. But beyond that, they’ve no real knowledge of what’s going on.

Why are we seeing them time travel through Sit Com tropes? Both in terms of the why time travelling, and why sit coms in particular.

There has to be a reason.

Why is some stuff showing in colour, and to Wanda’s concern.

What’s with the commercials? How significant are they?

Is Wanda really pregnant?

Why did Wanda reverse time with the person came out the sewer?

All from less than an hour’s screen time.

Now, make that a full series release on day one, and those talking points would be gone. And for those without the time to binge in a oner, Spoiler City.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

I WAS someone who was exposed to those sort of sitcoms as a child.

I just can't watch most TV shows "set" in that period anymore. They make me cringe. Especially canned laughter tracks.

I'll pass on the rest of it.


I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in gb
Nasty Nob





UK

I watched it out of curiosity because I quite liked the characters in the movies but I'm not enjoying it TBH. It all seems a bit contrived and it's not really got it's hooks into me compelling me to watch another episode.
I may put it on in the background while I'm painting, if I remember it's on.

"All their ferocity was turned outwards, against enemies of the State, foreigners, traitors, saboteurs, thought-criminals" - Orwell, 1984 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 chromedog wrote:
I WAS someone who was exposed to those sort of sitcoms as a child.

I just can't watch most TV shows "set" in that period anymore. They make me cringe. Especially canned laughter tracks.
You realise they're done with the 50's and 60's black and white sitcoms, right?

And they filmed some of it in front of a real audience, meaning it wasn't canned laughter.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

Yes but it still looks and "feels" like an old sitcom.

Which is the effect that they were going for. The visual "gags" are also old enough to be collecting pensions.

I gave it a go. I'll give the rest a miss.

It's ok, I've still got "the expanse" and tbh, Marvel's spandex crowd never really did much for me anyway.

I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in gb
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





Scotland, but nowhere near my rulebook

Re. Episodes all at once vs. one a week:

Who's was still talking, let alone thinking, about Tiger King by April?

Everyone with Netflix must have watched that. It hit at the same time as lockdowns started in the UK. The memes, the internet chat etc.

And then it was gone. People talked about the Mandalorian Series 2 for TWO MONTHS. Surely that's going to bring in more viewers?
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 chromedog wrote:
The visual "gags" are also old enough to be collecting pensions.
That's the point though...

And each episode is taking us through a different decade of those sorts of things. It's not staying 50's/60's black and white sitcom. We're done with that before the end of the second episode.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






 Graphite wrote:
Re. Episodes all at once vs. one a week:

Who's was still talking, let alone thinking, about Tiger King by April?

Everyone with Netflix must have watched that. It hit at the same time as lockdowns started in the UK. The memes, the internet chat etc.

And then it was gone. People talked about the Mandalorian Series 2 for TWO MONTHS. Surely that's going to bring in more viewers?


Not sure that’s such a good example, given its an exceptionally meme worthy show. So even if people aren’t discussing the plot, it’s at least dented the public consciousness.

It’s not a show for me however, and I’m heartily sick of said memes.

And it all boils down to the content. As noted, Mando and Wandavision were clearly plotted for episodic, week by week discussion. This is close to DS9 and Buffy’s approach, though said shows had no option. All four provide weekly talking points, helping to make each show a date in the calendar.

When a show is designed to be bunged out in a oner? They can take a different approach entirely, as the aim is to keep my eyes on as long as possible.

I really couldn’t say which format I prefer, as my opinion is based entirely on whether the individual experience is worth it. Wandavision and Mando? Keep it episodic, I say!

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council






Ok let's give another example.
Who is still talking about "The Boys'
No one I know, it was replaced by something else.
Who is still talking about lower decks? Or Lovecraft country.
It may stay around a bit longer because of the weekly release schedule but it's not that much longer after the finale.
But the conversation doesn't last long
We stopped talking about Wandavision Saturday night. Or atleast theories.

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





I find more and more I much prefer the weekly format. The sense of community and culture around such things is a lot stronger than binge shows that demand you watch them the first weekend or just not participate. I'd gotten back to appreciating it via anime, but I'm really happy to see it return to American television as well.

 AduroT wrote:
 LunarSol wrote:
I'm a huge fan of all the source marterial this seems to be inspired by. Very excited to check it out.


If you’re talking about the Vision comic run where he had the whole synth family (I think I saw people making comparisons previously) this is nothing like that story.


I never really cared about the synth family itself, just the inherent premise "sitcom ideal suburbia" falling apart as soon as its exposed to characters that don't fit its rigid structure. The show definitely follows the same ideas that made it a great run, even if it's focus on recreating the sitcoms itself is far more of the focus. Different, but familiar all the same.

Also, my thoughts on what may be going on:

Spoiler:
I'm curious if this is less Wanda's world than it is Vision's. In the first episode we see a SWORD agent watching the episode from a control room. I'm curious if what we're seeing is more of a monitoring of the fragments of Vision that Shuri was trying to separate from the mind stone prior to the snap. The second episode definitely seems to point more towards Wanda though. Both her control she exerts over the world and the outside trying to reach her specifically.

I feel like Agnes is the obvious villain here, being Wanda's confidant and guide. She chips at the 4th wall, but clearly doesn't want it to break. I'd pin her down as some sort of demon (or whatever "not magic but science" version of demons they go with) helping Wanda restore Vision's backup in order to manipulate her into breaking reality to some end.
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

 LunarSol wrote:
I find more and more I much prefer the weekly format. The sense of community and culture around such things is a lot stronger than binge shows that demand you watch them the first weekend or just not participate. I'd gotten back to appreciating it via anime, but I'm really happy to see it return to American television as well.


Not to sound like a hipster, but I've been anti-binging for some time (at least back to the Netflix Marvel series.)

If all the episodes are released at once, I'll still largely only watch one a day at most.

I think some shows are now.made with binge watching in mind, but I'd they're not you're effectively trying to turn 8-12 parts of episodic television into one or two ludicrous length movie installments, and this does weird things to the narrative structure.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in ca
Junior Officer with Laspistol





London, Ontario

I expect the 1/week idea is indeed to stretch it out, keep people interested over a longer period of time, and to keep subscriptions up.

Also, while it can be said that people that don't want to binge can spread it out, people that *do* want to binge can just wait until the whole thing has been released.

Were I a producer of said content, or the service that provides it, I'd probably want to stretch that content out some. Like The Boys, and American Gods, on Prime, I know I wouldn't have that service if it weren't for those shows... and truth told I only have that because my wife does the Prime thing. Same with Disney Plus... we (as a family) like the MCU, and Star Wars, so we picked it up to watch Mando and the other movies. We just started watching the MCU in timeline order a couple of weeks ago.

I guess my grand point was that a weekly release schedule is almost certainly a financial decision that the services choose to make maximum profits. I will probably drop and pick up D+ once we clear the MCU timeline, and come back when new Mando is available.

That said! Looking foward to checking out Wandavision. Sounds fun with a bit of a dark undertone... right up my alley.
   
Made in us
Battlefield Tourist




MN

Still haven't seen it, but it is pretty clear to me that they will need Dr. Strange to sort Wanda out with her psychological issues.

Do you like Free Wargames?
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Well, this is meant to tie into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (and is the phase 4 opener).

Genuinely intrigued to see how it copes without Tony and Cap.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Well, this is meant to tie into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (and is the phase 4 opener).

Genuinely intrigued to see how it copes without Tony and Cap.


Should be fine. Dr. Strange 1 was mostly just plagued by a plodding origin story and an utterly lackluster villain (and villain plot), a lack of Tony and Cap wasn't really an issue for any of the earlier Marvel films. The mediocre ones mostly just lacked stakes and engaging villains.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/18 22:55:00


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

Besides, if the persistent rumours are to be believed, it won't have to.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Azreal13 wrote:
Besides, if the persistent rumours are to be believed, it won't have to.


even if they do come back, I don't expect them to be headlining, Tony'll come back as an AI, and my guess is IF Evens comes back it'll be as "old steve" and he'll be playing a similer role to that played by Nick Fury

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: