Switch Theme:

Warhammer+ GW's Video on Demand channel coming soon  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

$1 a month, painting videos, weekly exclusive previews, access to BL digital content...

It COULD work.

Fold in a working army builder and rules access and then it could be worth $5.

 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 Marshal Loss wrote:
Skeptical but happy to be won over if it's any good.

This is my feeling as well.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

 streetsamurai wrote:
Hard to see how they will have enough content to justify that kind of app. I guess if the price is not too high...


It looks like they have over a dozen shows and programs which are going to be launching through whatever this service is (it seems to be more than just tv/movies, etc. based on what little has been revealed), I think its going to come down to how many hours of content are available on launch and how many hours they add each month. If they're charging $10 a month I would guess they would need to have 40-60 hours of content minimum on launch and add at least a dozen hours worth each month afterwards. If its $5 a month then I think its a much lower level of expectation, maybe 20 hours at launch and and another 8 hours added per month afterwards. Thats only quantitative, it still needs to be *good* content - nobody is going to give a damn if they are putting 100 hours per month of shows and movies if its all worthless dreck.

In any case, I had a hunch this was coming and doubled down on my stock holdings of the company a few months ago, I very much doubt I'm going to regret it despite the cynicism you lot are spouting off. Especially if there is value-added beyond the shows, per Warcom:

This brand new service is heading your way in July, and you’ll be able to start watching all these shows, and more, on your favourite device – from your mobile or tablet to your 4K TV – thanks to a bespoke app created by a big name in VOD content.

Of course Warhammer+ will offer far more than these animations – the full line-up and awesome subscriber benefits will blow your socks off.


Add audiobook access, black library ebooks, a complete range of digital rulebooks updated with the latest faq and errata, and maybe a monthly "$5 off your purchase on our webstore" coupon, and even you lot will be throwing your money at them.

The real question is, does something like Eisenhorn launch through this platform or will they go to something more accessible beyond the community to try to get more market penetration/reach? I doubt this platform will be able to support the live action budget needed for something like this, and its going to be a hard sell to people that aren't inside the walls of the community to get them to sign up for this app, no matter how good the show is. I very much doubt a Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. type service is going to agree to fund development on a program like that (basically a requirement for a big budget show like that, we're talking budgets of $10-15 million per episode, a season could easily run more than GWs annual profits) without exclusive streaming rights, and Warhammer + subscribers are going to ragequit in droves if it doesn't include access to GWs biggest title.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/22 19:53:10


This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
$1 a month, painting videos, weekly exclusive previews, access to BL digital content...

It COULD work.

Fold in a working army builder and rules access and then it could be worth $5.



Personally I find GW tutorials very lacking and on you tube, twitch etc you can find considerably better and the abundance is amazing ( free of charge).
Weekly news I would not pay 1 cent for Warhammer fest thing... I don't find paying for previews/publicity a good value for my money.
I don't consume BL.

As a full hobbyist I have learned, due to GW years of silence on social media, to find better and more elsewhere.

Also the new prices I have been looking at some previews and GW core products makes me wonder if they totally lost the plot... I mean heavy intercessors and Lelith and vamp court to name a few.
So I don't think its going to be £1 a month.

If we are talking paying it needs to be considerable value in comparison with what is currently out there for free IMO.

   
Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter





They are holding the videos randsom. I can only watch if I pay every month. I wish for something physical to own, that I can say is mine. There is no guarantee that plus will still exist in 10 years

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/22 20:04:50


 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I do wonder if this might be the reason for the bizarre discision to not sell stand alone e-book versions of the codexes/battletomes any more

bundle digital access to all of them in with a subscription and it may make more sense for many

 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I’d pay 10$ a month for Darren Latham painting tutorials. Anything else would be a bonus.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 ScarletRose wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I’m going to be radical here.....

But how about people wait to see how exactly they’re gonna run this, before declaring it the worst thing since *insert objectively awful thing or person here*?
I am happy to pay money for product that obviously cost them money to make, rather than just demand they give all of it to us for free. The amount of entitlement thinking going on here actually surprises me, did people really think this was all just going to be free? Of course GW can still upset me with the price, but the concept of 'stuff costs money' is far too well established for me to get upset about it.


But no one is demanding free stuff?

It's simply a huge skepticism that GW can deliver any amount of content that would be worth the cost. It's like if they announced the new box set would be one marine but still cost $150 - complaints about that wouldn't be about "ungrateful plebs wanting free minis" it would be about value.

I'm sure there's a stable you can park that high horse in somewhere around here though.


But what is that cost?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but they mentioned this is built by someone who is streaming already and I can't help but notice that Disney Plus and Warhammer Plus are similar in name. Given that Warhammer is now part of Marvel it would seem to be that this is a natural fit.

If this is some channel on Disney Plus that is a couple bucks then I'll check it out. If it's some standalone with anywhere near the cost of Disney Plus it just ain't happening.



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/22 20:16:16


   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

 OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
I do wonder if this might be the reason for the bizarre discision to not sell stand alone e-book versions of the codexes/battletomes any more

bundle digital access to all of them in with a subscription and it may make more sense for many


I'd pay $10-15/month for complete access to the complete range of digital rulebooks for the current edition alone, adding animation/film/shows, etc. is just icing to me at that point. To date I have refused to purchase a single rulebook from GW for 9th ed, not chapter approved, none of these crusade books, no codexes, etc. the only thing I got is the core rules because I bought 2 copies of indomitus. Hopefully GW proves this to have been a smart move on my part and rewards me with some sweet sweet digital rules.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







Mightytyrant wrote:
I’d pay 10$ a month for Darren Latham painting tutorials. Anything else would be a bonus.


They are still available for free on YouTube. As much as I like that content it only gathered close to 60k subscribers which is not that much in the great scheme of things im afraid.

   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





If they do include painting tutorials, I'd expect them to start going after YouTube painters who use their products. Maybe that's too cynical, but I'd at least expect a lot of the big ones to "GW has reached out to me with an exciting opportunity..." where they only cover Warhammer stuff behind this service, assuming they're not told to never paint anything non-Warhammer again so long as they have a contract going.

 NinthMusketeer wrote:
 Arbitrator wrote:
Would explain why they're so eager to crack down on fan projects despite, in theory, being free advertising - they want to consolidate any and all animation behind a subscription service and if fans are cranking bolter porn out for free, it risks hurting the incentive to subscribe.
You know the guy doing Astartes was getting 20k a month from his Patreon? "Free" stopped being free decades ago.

And how much was that costing GW themselves?


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/05/22 20:24:47


 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran







Enter Warhammer+

This brand new service is heading your way in July, and you’ll be able to start watching all these shows, and more, on your favourite device – from your mobile or tablet to your 4K TV – thanks to a bespoke app created by a big name in VOD content.


Amazon Prime sub-channel? How man other "big name in VOD content" companies pimp outside content?
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Coming soon to Curiosity Stream!
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Daedalus81 wrote:
Given that Warhammer is now part of Marvel it would seem to be that this is a natural fit.


Obviously I don't know if that's what you meant to communicate but I just have to quickly point out that GW/Warhammer is not a part of Marvel/Disney. Marvel has the rights to do GW comics, and not even exclusive rights since the BL has been printing some.

For the 70s and 80s Marvel was the king of liscenced comics, Conan, Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers plus a host of minor ones like Team America, Logans Run and 2001 (of all things). They got out of that in the 90s and 2000s to focus on their own IP but have roared back into in recent years picking up Conan (again) and now doing Aliens and Predator (which are now also under the Disney umbrella). But they never owned any of those.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/22 20:31:00


 
   
Made in us
Snord






That they are taking this direction with their service makes me really wish I could see their market research.

My assumption is that there are enough GW whales out there to support this service. Going by the success of their business, revenue wise, despite the increasingly toxic way in which they're marketing their products, there must be. What's better than provoking an impulse buy from a consumer? Provoking an impulse buy with a subscription built in.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





At the very least its not going to be just the animation, if it was just that I couldn't see it doing well at all, but if it was something like the shows, a back-catalogue of white dwarf digital issues, streams, and maybe an occasional digital story/novel or audiobook, then that wouldn't be so bad.
   
Made in ca
Dangerous Skeleton Champion





This seems like a shortsighted move. It would e better to put the shows on Netflix or Amazon and use them as advertising.

Necrons
Imperial Knights
Orcs and Goblins
Tomb Kings
Wood Elves 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

jojo_monkey_boy wrote:That they are taking this direction with their service makes me really wish I could see their market research.

My assumption is that there are enough GW whales out there to support this service. Going by the success of their business, revenue wise, despite the increasingly toxic way in which they're marketing their products, there must be. What's better than provoking an impulse buy from a consumer? Provoking an impulse buy with a subscription built in.


Thing is you don't need "Whales" for a subscription service. Most are cheap enough that you'd rely on regular customers and simply run on it being cheap enough to be forgotten expenditure each month

Egyptian Space Zombie wrote:This seems like a shortsighted move. It would e better to put the shows on Netflix or Amazon and use them as advertising.


Like I said earlier, I figure they'll use their direct customers as market research to find out which shows are the most popular and well received and then push those onto bigger networks. Perhaps even using those viewing figures for a better position at the negotiating table when approaching those platforms. Rather than going in cold as an unknown brand and name in the TV industry (even if they are using established makers)
   
Made in us
Stealthy Grot Snipa





Atlanta, GA

 jojo_monkey_boy wrote:
That they are taking this direction with their service makes me really wish I could see their market research.

My assumption is that there are enough GW whales out there to support this service. Going by the success of their business, revenue wise, despite the increasingly toxic way in which they're marketing their products, there must be. What's better than provoking an impulse buy from a consumer? Provoking an impulse buy with a subscription built in.


Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "the increasingly toxic way in which they're marketing their products"?
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:
Given that Warhammer is now part of Marvel it would seem to be that this is a natural fit.


Obviously I don't know if that's what you meant to communicate but I just have to quickly point out that GW/Warhammer is not a part of Marvel/Disney. Marvel has the rights to do GW comics, and not even exclusive rights since the BL has been printing some.

For the 70s and 80s Marvel was the king of liscenced comics, Conan, Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers plus a host of minor ones like Team America, Logans Run and 2001 (of all things). They got out of that in the 90s and 2000s to focus on their own IP but have roared back into in recent years picking up Conan (again) and now doing Aliens and Predator (which are now also under the Disney umbrella). But they never owned any of those.


Sorry - let me rephrase. GW has a working relationship with a company strongly tied to Disney.

   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

 Overread wrote:
Egyptian Space Zombie wrote:This seems like a shortsighted move. It would e better to put the shows on Netflix or Amazon and use them as advertising.
Like I said earlier, I figure they'll use their direct customers as market research to find out which shows are the most popular and well received and then push those onto bigger networks. Perhaps even using those viewing figures for a better position at the negotiating table when approaching those platforms. Rather than going in cold as an unknown brand and name in the TV industry (even if they are using established makers)
The rumour is their live action stuff (like Eisenhorn) is going on HBO.
   
Made in ie
Pustulating Plague Priest





This feels like GW losing the run of itself.

They got a LOT of good will out of people in the post-Kirby era but they are very quickly falling back into their old ways and are squandering what they earned.


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





I think it was always going to be something similar to this.

As to “they don’t have enough content” thing, how many people subbed Disney just for the Marvel shows OR Star Wars. The answer was a lot.
(Yes lots of people were down for both or Disney stuff for the kids, or fox, on ana on. But people will just sub to something and then leave it running all the time. Price just needs to be low enough to think ah yeah I’ll just not worry. £3 would do that. If it’s over £5 then you think about it more).
GW have the problem of they don’t know how to price things.
It’ll be nearer a tenner. Like when the 40k app first launched they priced it wrong.

To those that don’t like sitting subbed to something for little content,
Just get one month (if they do DD) after like the first 11 shows are out, cancel and do the same in a year or whatever.
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

It'll be 24 hours of Ultramarines. And one episode of whatever that new show they were supposed to be working on.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Amazon sub channel is a good shout.
Disney wold work but they’d have to up the price, they don’t do variable subs. Amazon have the add ins etc.

Eisenhorn has to not be on this to succeed with its cost. That’s not being shopped for networks not this.

I’d potentially drop my Audible for this if it had BL audios in it, even a one a month system similar.
Very price dependant I guess on what included..
But if they’re making it “more than just the animation” it won’t be an add to something like Amazon.
But I’d happily take something done like that.
   
Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter





 Egyptian Space Zombie wrote:
This seems like a shortsighted move. It would e better to put the shows on Netflix or Amazon and use them as advertising.


Exactly what I was hoping. My guess is no service wanted them or they couldn't agree on a price and contact. though on the other hand, castlevania didn't shy away from gore and nudity
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





So after the disappointment of Cursed City, we also have a no-show for neither Primaris Lieutenant: The Movie nor Paragon Suit: Nundam Wing.

Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I’m going to be radical here.....

But how about people wait to see how exactly they’re gonna run this, before declaring it the worst thing since *insert objectively awful thing or person here*?

Ah yes; because none of the other times we've heard 'WaIT aNd SEe!' have been entirely predictably lackluster at all...
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Lord Damocles wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I’m going to be radical here.....

But how about people wait to see how exactly they’re gonna run this, before declaring it the worst thing since *insert objectively awful thing or person here*?

Ah yes; because none of the other times we've heard 'WaIT aNd SEe!' have been entirely predictably lackluster at all...


I feel like people think "wait and see" means "just wait and you'll see that it will be fine" rather than "let's wait for all the details before jumping to potentially exaggerated conclusions".

   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Danny76 wrote:

As to “they don’t have enough content” thing, how many people subbed Disney just for the Marvel shows OR Star Wars. The answer was a lot.


Was it, though?

I can't see it having been any significant portion of their customer base, or they wouldn't have lasted 6 months due to canceled subscriptions once people had worked through the existing content.

And I suspect that even amongst those who did, many will have stuck around for the massive back catalogue, particularly when they added the Fox stuff. Warhammer+ won't have that, and they're competing for the money in an over-saturated market.

The only way I can see this working is if they go the Amazon route and your subscription gets you a bunch of tangible benefits outside of just stuff to watch.

 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: