Switch Theme:

Wiz Kids to launch D&D sprue models and paints  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




These look really good, give me all the demon lords and I would be very happy.

Modron line as well could be cool, but that’s probably a bit too out there :9
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




They look pretty cool. Build-a-adventurer kits are always fun.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






I have a good use for that minotaur.

These figures would be great to add into the boxed adventure figure batches, such as that crazy dragon, or the Kobold layer.



At Games Workshop, we believe that how you behave does matter. We believe this so strongly that we have written it down in the Games Workshop Book. There is a section in the book where we talk about the values we expect all staff to demonstrate in their working lives. These values are Lawyers, Guns and Money. 
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker






These look okay but I think I'll stick with Reaper for D&D / fantasy models.
   
Made in us
Master of the Hunt





Philadelphia

I don't see this doing that well for smaller models.

Wizkids already has the DeepCuts Unpainted sets recently

It will work well for big creatures

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/01 14:43:11


   
Made in au
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller




Down Under

Giving people options of loadouts between the smaller models will be popular for a decent chunk.

If they can keep the price down to be competitive with the deep cuts models willl be a great option for people.

I would keep my Reaper Bone stuff for my NPC and mass monsters but having this would be a great boon to my players who have been talking about upgrading their starting minis.

Glory is fleeting. Obscurity is forever.




 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





BrianDavion wrote:
it looks like rather it's just a simple line of paints with clear names which I can understand why, Vellajelo is confusing as feth due to their huge range and names

So names like aluminium, dark red, steel, or leather brown are confusing now?

Especially seeing pic of this paint range shows 'sea hag blue', GW style completely non-descriptive name

Don't like bottles though, feel like they are big downgrade compared to standard V ones.

   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Vain wrote:
Giving people options of loadouts between the smaller models will be popular for a decent chunk.



That's the biggest missed opportunity I see here. It doesn't look like you can swap arms or heads among the range. Pilgrim Hat Dude has 2 or 3 options of each arm, nice options, but that's it. If you want to use something from the Druid you're going to have to get out your knife and putty.

 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

BrianDavion wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
Just had a chance to read the article in full. Here's the lowdown on the new paints from the article:

Created in partnership with the maestros of Vallejo, 60 paints will be making their way to stores at the end of this year for an undisclosed - but apparently affordable - price. These will be available individually (in pots with dropper lids) or via two boxsets. One, known as the Starter Case, includes 30 basic colors and serves as an entry-level option. The second is an intermediate bundle with 30 more complex effects. In other words? You'll be able to collect the entire Prismatic line if you buy both.

Although the range includes some formulations we've seen before (albeit in smaller pots this time), 20 are entirely new, D&D-branded additions. These hope to be more user-friendly than the competition with names like 'Scarlet Red' or 'Gunmetal' that do exactly what they say on the tin. In addition, each pot features easy-to-understand branding that'll tell you which kind of paint, wash, or effect you're seeing at a glance.

It will be interesting to see what these 'more complex effects' exactly are.


My guess would be some of Vellajo's "technical" paints. things like their crackle medium, varnishes etc.

Their Special Effects Set has eight paints, leaving twenty two more paints. Even with the mediums and varnishes and pumice stone that's still a few items that we don't know about.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Experienced Saurus Scar-Veteran





California the Southern

This is a pretty cool move.

Archon's plastics are continuing to get better and better too.

If these kits and paints are going to be as easily accessible as modern D&D seems to be, even better.
I'd love to be able to wander in to some of the bigger retail chains and be able to grab this stuff.

Whether limbs are easy to swap or not isn't a big worry of mine (as I'll make it work like most of you) but the fact that they're including all the extra bits is certainly appreciated.

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 highlord tamburlaine wrote:
This is a pretty cool move.

Archon's plastics are continuing to get better and better too.

If these kits and paints are going to be as easily accessible as modern D&D seems to be, even better.
I'd love to be able to wander in to some of the bigger retail chains and be able to grab this stuff.

Whether limbs are easy to swap or not isn't a big worry of mine (as I'll make it work like most of you) but the fact that they're including all the extra bits is certainly appreciated.


I doubt it, I've not seen the current d&d minis in most retail stores but D&D is carried in more places then say.. 40k, so you might see those little gaming stores that mostly sell CCGs and a few RPG books get some in.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





My local Walmart has had the 5E starter box and dice sets in toys for at least a year. If there's money to be had the big box stores will look at it but I'd be surprised to see individual minis and paint for sale there as there's just too many options for both players to make, character wise, and for stores to carry and it would take up a lot of space for options that people may not have interest in for that local area.

If Wizkids did a box set that was paints, brush, and then a combo of minis (dragon, adventuring party mix for example) that could be something I could see there as it's an eye catching thing with all you need to starting painting.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/08/02 05:04:53


 
   
Made in us
Incorporating Wet-Blending






 Vain wrote:
I would keep my Reaper Bone stuff for my NPC and mass monsters but having this would be a great boon to my players who have been talking about upgrading their starting minis.


Yep. RPG players do like their custom avatars, and multipiece sets, while not as versatile as a 3D printed custom miniature (eg. HeroForge) aren't as expensive. If anything, I hope these multipieces are designed in mind for swapability among sets, not just within one, since you'll have extra bits, and RPG players will want *that* special bit (especially familiars) for their character!

Archon plastics are quite good -- I think their Woodhaven Late Pledge has the same prices as their KS. So if you just want a load of mini's, go right to the source!

I'm still waiting for a starter set that has brush-on colored primers and washes. I've been using colored primers for my tabletop mini's with washes and don't miss the primer step, don't spend as much time with the hobby paint

The paints are "pots with dropper lids". Looks only like custom eye-dropper containers, though? It's heretical, but, for advanced tabletop, I prefer screw caps to pots to eyedroppers for convenience. Eyedroppers clog and my paint schemes don't need to subtle differences from mixing and a palette.


Good fiction is consistent. 
   
Made in us
Sneaky Sniper Drone




Les Etats Unis

 Irbis wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
it looks like rather it's just a simple line of paints with clear names which I can understand why, Vellajelo is confusing as feth due to their huge range and names

So names like aluminium, dark red, steel, or leather brown are confusing now?

Especially seeing pic of this paint range shows 'sea hag blue', GW style completely non-descriptive name

Don't like bottles though, feel like they are big downgrade compared to standard V ones.



I'll believe you if you can tell me the difference in color between Foul Green, Sick Green, Goblin Green, Olive Green, Deep Green, Heavy Green, Livery Green, "Yellow Olive" (appears to be neither of those colors), Black Green, Heavy Black Green, Green Sky, Park Green Flat, Uniform Green, Military Green, and Bronze Green are without looking them up.

Vallejo does have some self-evident colors such as "Dark Red" and "Medium Blue," it's true, but things get a lot more confusing that than pretty quickly.

Dudeface wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Is there another game where players consistently blame each other for the failings of the creator?

If you want to get existential, life for some.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 ced1106 wrote:

The paints are "pots with dropper lids". Looks only like custom eye-dropper containers, though? It's heretical, but, for advanced tabletop, I prefer screw caps to pots to eyedroppers for convenience. Eyedroppers clog and my paint schemes don't need to subtle differences from mixing and a palette.



As I mentioned above those are the type of bottles, with eyedroppers, that artist inks come in which is why they could be a contrast like paint. The ones I used would not work well with a thicker paint. Though Vallejo paints tend to be on the thinner side out of the pot. It's clear some are washes as there's one shown in the image so it could also just be normal paint line which would be much more boring.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/02 08:25:25


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Flipsiders wrote:
 Irbis wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
it looks like rather it's just a simple line of paints with clear names which I can understand why, Vellajelo is confusing as feth due to their huge range and names

So names like aluminium, dark red, steel, or leather brown are confusing now?

Especially seeing pic of this paint range shows 'sea hag blue', GW style completely non-descriptive name

Don't like bottles though, feel like they are big downgrade compared to standard V ones.



I'll believe you if you can tell me the difference in color between Foul Green, Sick Green, Goblin Green, Olive Green, Deep Green, Heavy Green, Livery Green, "Yellow Olive" (appears to be neither of those colors), Black Green, Heavy Black Green, Green Sky, Park Green Flat, Uniform Green, Military Green, and Bronze Green are without looking them up.

Vallejo does have some self-evident colors such as "Dark Red" and "Medium Blue," it's true, but things get a lot more confusing that than pretty quickly.


Yeah, I've bought a handful of Vallejo paints before and it's tricky figuring out what is what sometimes.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

 Monkeysloth wrote:
My local Walmart has had the 5E starter box and dice sets in toys for at least a year. If there's money to be had the big box stores will look at it but I'd be surprised to see individual minis and paint for sale there as there's just too many options for both players to make, character wise, and for stores to carry and it would take up a lot of space for options that people may not have interest in for that local area.

If Wizkids did a box set that was paints, brush, and then a combo of minis (dragon, adventuring party mix for example) that could be something I could see there as it's an eye catching thing with all you need to starting painting.


There were those "metal minis" (a beholder set, a dragon set) that were being sold in Walmart/Target for a while. If they had been plastic, I would have picked them up.

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormonu wrote:
 Monkeysloth wrote:
My local Walmart has had the 5E starter box and dice sets in toys for at least a year. If there's money to be had the big box stores will look at it but I'd be surprised to see individual minis and paint for sale there as there's just too many options for both players to make, character wise, and for stores to carry and it would take up a lot of space for options that people may not have interest in for that local area.

If Wizkids did a box set that was paints, brush, and then a combo of minis (dragon, adventuring party mix for example) that could be something I could see there as it's an eye catching thing with all you need to starting painting.


There were those "metal minis" (a beholder set, a dragon set) that were being sold in Walmart/Target for a while. If they had been plastic, I would have picked them up.


Were those the same ones that had Harry Potter and some DC stuff too that were like 40mm in height?
   
Made in pt
Fireknife Shas'el




Lisbon, Portugal

 KidCthulhu wrote:
Color me genuinely impressed!

Not before assembling and priming yourself first!

KT, 40k, AI & BFG: / SW Legion & X-Wing: CIS / MCP

 Unit1126PLL wrote:
"FW is unbalanced and going to ruin tournaments."
"Name one where it did that."
"IT JUST DOES OKAY!"

 Shadenuat wrote:
Voted Astra Militarum for a chance for them to get nerfed instead of my own army.
 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

 Monkeysloth wrote:
 Stormonu wrote:
 Monkeysloth wrote:
My local Walmart has had the 5E starter box and dice sets in toys for at least a year. If there's money to be had the big box stores will look at it but I'd be surprised to see individual minis and paint for sale there as there's just too many options for both players to make, character wise, and for stores to carry and it would take up a lot of space for options that people may not have interest in for that local area.

If Wizkids did a box set that was paints, brush, and then a combo of minis (dragon, adventuring party mix for example) that could be something I could see there as it's an eye catching thing with all you need to starting painting.


There were those "metal minis" (a beholder set, a dragon set) that were being sold in Walmart/Target for a while. If they had been plastic, I would have picked them up.


Were those the same ones that had Harry Potter and some DC stuff too that were like 40mm in height?


Pretty much, but I * think * the D&D stuff was 28mm.

It never ends well 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





So I was doing a bit of poking around the internet to see what else I could find about this stuff, and found the following site already listing stuff for pre-order(!) for the kits to come out in November.

https://www.phdgames.com/2021/08/04/dungeons-dragons-frameworks-miniatures-wizkids/

I won't be indulging in that myself, not until I can see the minis that interest me. But they do have a list of minis coming out:

Spoiler:

WZK75009 D&D Frameworks: Elf Ranger Male $14.99
WZK75010 D&D Frameworks: Dwarf Cleric Female $14.99
WZK75011 D&D Frameworks: Orc Barbarian Male $14.99
WZK75012 D&D Frameworks: Human Druid Female $14.99
WZK75013 D&D Frameworks: Human Fighter Male $14.99
WZK75020 D&D Frameworks: Tiefling Rogue Female $14.99
WZK75022 D&D Frameworks: Dragonborn Paladin Male $14.99
WZK75023 D&D Frameworks: Elf Wizard Female $14.99
WZK75025 D&D Frameworks: Human Fighter Female $14.99
WZK75027 D&D Frameworks: Elf Monk Male $14.99
WZK75030 D&D Frameworks: Human Wizard Male $14.99
WZK75031 D&D Frameworks: Dwarf Barbarian Female $14.99
WZK75034 D&D Frameworks: Tiefling Warlock Male $14.99
WZK75035 D&D Frameworks: Dragonborn Sorcerer Female $14.99
WZK75036 D&D Frameworks: Dwarf Fighter Male $14.99
WZK75038 D&D Frameworks: Human Rogue Female $14.99
WZK75039 D&D Frameworks: Human Warlock Male $14.99
WZK75041 D&D Frameworks: Beholder $24.99
WZK75042 D&D Frameworks: Mind Flayer $14.99
WZK75043 D&D Frameworks: Troll $24.99
WZK75044 D&D Frameworks: Night Hag $24.99
WZK75045 D&D Frameworks: Drider $24.99
WZK75049 D&D Frameworks: Hill Giant $39.99
WZK75052 D&D Frameworks: Wight $14.99
WZK75053 D&D Frameworks: Ghast & Ghoul $24.99
WZK75056 D&D Frameworks: Minotaur $24.99
WZK75057 D&D Frameworks: Ogre $24.99
WZK75060 D&D Frameworks: Basilisk $24.99
WZK75066 D&D Frameworks: Orcs $49.99
WZK75067 D&D Frameworks: Kobolds $49.99
WZK75071 D&D Frameworks: Human Cleric Male $14.99
WZK75075 D&D Frameworks: Human Monk Male $14.99
WZK75076 D&D Frameworks: Stone Giant $39.99
WZK75072 D&D Frameworks Wave 1: Retail Reorder Cards Not for Resale
WZK75073 D&D Frameworks Wave 1: Quick-Pick $694.67


The prices don't seem too bad to me. It'll be interesting to see how those giants look, and if they present decent alternatives to GW ones.

Otherwise, definitely looking forward to the male human fighter and cleric - and lamenting that that a male human barbarian is not in the mix!

Hopefully they are good enough quality to do well and get another series made to cover that gaping hole!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/05 06:30:21


   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

Darn. Those are about $5 more per individual character than I had hoped for.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





most will be $10 at discount sellers. Not too bad for a PC model but not enough for me to want to buy for anything else unless I really like the sculpt.

Interesting to see the Balrog isn't in the first wave.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






Haven't played d&d since 3 rd edition, but what is that flaming sword dude supposed to be? A warlock?

lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 streetsamurai wrote:
Haven't played d&d since 3 rd edition, but what is that flaming sword dude supposed to be? A warlock?

that'd be my guess although he could proably be painted up nicely as a standard wizard easily eneugh

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Houston, TX

 streetsamurai wrote:
Haven't played d&d since 3 rd edition, but what is that flaming sword dude supposed to be? A warlock?


Yeah, a warlock. The three pacts in the PHB are pact of the blade (which lets you manifest a weapon), pact of the chain (bind a more powerful familiar), and pact of the tome.

These are a bit more expensive than I thought. The individual characters arent bad, but $40 for a hill giant is way too much IMO. The dungeons and lasers dragons, also made by archon, are only $30.
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







Sorta wonder if any of the monsters are the same sculpt as Dungeons and Lasers.

15$ for heroes is a bit much for wargaming, but monsters are quite appealing.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm waiting to see what those larger ones are as if it's overall awesome like the balrog that's not a bad price.

One to look and and consider is a minotaur on what? a 40mm base? Is it worth $25 when basically you'll not use 1/3rd of the things in the kit?

If there were two bodies for that price then I don't think it would be too bad after online discounts but still more then pretty much any plastic minotaur out there.



If these were designed so the head and hands could easily be swappable without drilling and setting your own magnets then maybe there could be an argument for the price. But that's clearly not what they're doing based off of the renders.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2021/08/05 18:24:40


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




 Monkeysloth wrote:
most will be $10 at discount sellers. Not too bad for a PC model but not enough for me to want to buy for anything else unless I really like the sculpt.

Interesting to see the Balrog isn't in the first wave.


It may be missing it that list but it is on pre-order at mini market. $80 for balor. If it's scaled as the current nolzurs preprimed balor, to me that seems a lot since that would be half the height of the gw bloodthirster set with much smaller wings...

If can get it for less. Maybe 60 I hope?

And someone mentioned these aren't for beginners. The original press release in Feb that these were coming said it's for advanced modellers/painters.

Regards

Sf
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

The prices seem ridiculously high to me. Reaper sells Bones versions of these monsters for a fraction of the cost. Heroes are easy to find cheaper from Bones, Nolzur’s or by the bunch via plastic Frostgrave boxes. The days of paying $15 for a generic, bland hero mini are long gone.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: