Switch Theme:

Who else misses the old style sci fi art...  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

What's your problem mate?

Some really great new Twitter Accounts that are posting a lot of the retro GW artwork. Check out PlanetOldhammer, Cool Old Gaming Art and The Crown of Command podcast amongst others. A couple of snippets from there

Classic Ork by Paul Bonner


1990s Imperial Guardsman, by Jes Goodwin


This one is a special one for me it was the first WD I saw in a newsagent when I was a kid. It had that much an impact, I still remember it
WD 110 cover 1989, by the sadly departed Wayne England

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in gb
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine






UK

Yes, still love that old art, and some of those WS covers are classics!

https://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=7655#

The first one I ever bought, however, was issue 100, and I was blown away - So much content, I absorbed it all, and my birthday list immediately changed

   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

 Pacific wrote:
What's your problem mate?

The 5 year gap between posts

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

 DalekCheese wrote:
 Pacific wrote:
What's your problem mate?

The 5 year gap between posts


Sorry Dalekcheese that was needlessly aggressive/defensive of me

Yes, still love that old art, and some of those WS covers are classics!

https://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=7655#


That was a great one.. I think the cover of the Ultramarines boardgame as well, sadly I never got to play it (don't know how much there was to it, other than an opportunity to the use the RTB01 boxset marines).

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

 Pacific wrote:
 DalekCheese wrote:
 Pacific wrote:
What's your problem mate?

The 5 year gap between posts


Sorry Dalekcheese that was needlessly aggressive/defensive of me


S’fine

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

Does it mean that the new art everybody was complaining about had become the old art and therefore great?

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
Made in za
Regular Dakkanaut



South Africa

 DalekCheese wrote:
 Pacific wrote:
What's your problem mate?

The 5 year gap between posts


Why is your post dated 2187?????

KBK 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

If I want to look at old school Jes Goodwin art, I just pull "the gothic and the eldritch" off the bookshelf.

As for the rest. "John" Blanche posts on social media and so do a few others.

I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

This image from the original Space Marine rulebook has always stayed with me. Together with the short story next to ti it really nailed the desperation of the HH war in one page.


The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Very cool - I can't remember seeing that one.

That original HH story - was it Bill King or Alan Merrett? I have read differing accounts (I may be confused Bill King as I know he did the great story in the Space Hulk: Deathwing book).

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in gb
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot




UK


One of my favourites was one that I only ever saw in one of the miniatures catalogues.

It was by either Kev Adams or Adrian Smith and depicted a Blood Axe Ork Nob and an Imperial Commander having a discussion whilst their combined troops launched an attack in the background.



Unless that was posted on the previous page in one of Pacific's 'work blocked for me' images.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/14 11:53:12


   
Made in gb
Enginseer with a Wrench





Northumberland

I follow Adrian Smith on Instagram and his stuff he puts up is always terrific. I always loved his old artwork for the CSM codex, all of the mutations looked truly disgusting!

One and a half feet in the hobby


My Adeptus Mechanicus Painting Log:
# The Explorator Fleet of Labrunnia IX #

 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Kayback wrote:
 DalekCheese wrote:
 Pacific wrote:
What's your problem mate?

The 5 year gap between posts


Why is your post dated 2187?????


I don’t know, but I’ve seen the glitch before. Presumably some kind of Y2K dating problem

See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

alphaecho wrote:

One of my favourites was one that I only ever saw in one of the miniatures catalogues.

It was by either Kev Adams or Adrian Smith and depicted a Blood Axe Ork Nob and an Imperial Commander having a discussion whilst their combined troops launched an attack in the background.

Unless that was posted on the previous page in one of Pacific's 'work blocked for me' images.


It was indeed, bottom of the last page

While Heroquest looks like it might be making a comeback, here are a couple of those:

Advanced Heroquest by John Sibbick


I might be biased but I think probably one of the best pieces of box art ever made, original Heroquest by Les Edwards


And not Heroquest, but definitely of a similar theme (White Dwarf 107 cover also by Les Edwards)


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

 Pacific wrote:

Advanced Heroquest by John Sibbick



Always drawn tot he orc in this image. He clearly loves his job.

The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in gb
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot




UK

 Pacific wrote:
alphaecho wrote:

One of my favourites was one that I only ever saw in one of the miniatures catalogues.

It was by either Kev Adams or Adrian Smith and depicted a Blood Axe Ork Nob and an Imperial Commander having a discussion whilst their combined troops launched an attack in the background.

Unless that was posted on the previous page in one of Pacific's 'work blocked for me' images.


It was indeed, bottom of the last page


Lovely art work, all the better for not being colour.

In the same way, although I enjoy both depictions of the Emperor vs Horus, my favourite is the simpler yet more powerful (to me) original piece.



   
Made in ca
Damsel of the Lady





drinking tea in the snow

 .Mikes. wrote:

Always drawn tot he orc in this image. He clearly loves his job.


"Just happy to be here, boss!"

For hero quest art this one was always one of my favorites



Nice action, the ledge seems so perilous and the gargoyle crumbling out of the wall... just a lot of fun.

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

alphaecho wrote:
 Pacific wrote:
alphaecho wrote:

One of my favourites was one that I only ever saw in one of the miniatures catalogues.

It was by either Kev Adams or Adrian Smith and depicted a Blood Axe Ork Nob and an Imperial Commander having a discussion whilst their combined troops launched an attack in the background.

Unless that was posted on the previous page in one of Pacific's 'work blocked for me' images.


It was indeed, bottom of the last page

Lovely art work, all the better for not being colour.
In the same way, although I enjoy both depictions of the Emperor vs Horus, my favourite is the simpler yet more powerful (to me) original piece.


Me too, I really like the original. I hadn't realised that both this and the later version were both by Adrian Smith,although the later colour version is much more grand (almost seemed to me like something that would be a fresco or painted on the ceiling in a cathedral) and of course the game universe/miniatures had moved on a lot when the second one was done.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/16 19:05:20


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in gb
Thane of Dol Guldur





Bodt

There is a nice charm in most of the old art for me. I think my golden era of as around the turn of the millennium, where the universe was established and the artists were really pushing it with great work in colou and b/w. The modern digital stuff lacks a lot of character I think, plus when they get details wrong or proportions etc it just looks odd, where's with the older stuff you can forgive it because of its more pulp style.

I do like the 'remembrancer' pencil sketches of the heresy characters though. Some of those are great.

Heresy World Eaters/Emperors Children

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in no
Fresh-Faced New User




As a kid I walked into the tabletop store and saw some 40k comics, I opened them up and it was mindblowing, the artstyle was realistic, dark and the characters looked awesome, grizzled men and women who really looked like they lived and breath in a different reality. It was believable, and those comics that showed me the world of 40k in it's realistically drawn style that doesn't pander at all was for a kid something amazing.

Now I bought a book on black library and I saw something called "warhammer adventure" and it was basically Dora the Explorer style but in 40k with kids being main characters but also not being kids. I don't understand who this new stuff is supposed to impress? Kids don't want to watch other kids roleplay as adults, they want to see adults doing cool gak, it's a reason why the old action/drama/adventure cartoons focused on adults fighting good vs evil whereas shows with kids were comedy based.

The new art is pandering and patronizing and it doesn't work, also the bright pastel coloring makes it just look like just another marvel comic. Nah man, gimme the good old stuff that blew my mind as a kid, that were stuff that the entire school was talking about back in the day, stuff that expanded our imaginations, not pander to us.
   
Made in us
Chaos Space Marine dedicated to Slaanesh






 chromedog wrote:

(As in the USA are incapable of doing SF farce. US Red Dwarf bombed - the UK was legendary. US SF is all deadly serious nowadays. Bring back the Quark era.).


Nowadays, sure. But I'll be damned if we didn't love Spaceballs, Ice Pirates, Buckaroo Banzai, etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/14 10:07:28


 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Yes I wonder that too Jularbo.

Completely anecdotal, but I tried to loan a couple of recent White Dwarf mags to my partner's nephews (who are just about senior school age). No interest at all. Don't get me wrong the current miniatures, art and overall style is incredibly well realised - but the fundamentals of the universe have changed. You had that seminal art on the cover of Rogue Trader, those small marines fighting and dying desperately looks of pain on their faces, to Roboute Gulliman coming back to life and resplendent in his glory, in the space of that 30 years.

I think you are right - I wonder if there is enough not to differentiate from the likes of Marvel superheroes and the like. It's not just 40k; the drab and somewhat low-fantasy of WHFB replaced by the supermen of AoS and Sigmarites.

I know you can make a really strong argument for things having to evolve and to become more mainstream (and there is such a benefit to not having GW stores that are gloomy caves with a few guys with long hair sat in the corner listening to metal) but it does make you think that it has lost it's soul (or point of differentiation to other media at least) along the way.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in no
Fresh-Faced New User




 Pacific wrote:
Yes I wonder that too Jularbo.

Completely anecdotal, but I tried to loan a couple of recent White Dwarf mags to my partner's nephews (who are just about senior school age). No interest at all. Don't get me wrong the current miniatures, art and overall style is incredibly well realised - but the fundamentals of the universe have changed. You had that seminal art on the cover of Rogue Trader, those small marines fighting and dying desperately looks of pain on their faces, to Roboute Gulliman coming back to life and resplendent in his glory, in the space of that 30 years.

I think you are right - I wonder if there is enough not to differentiate from the likes of Marvel superheroes and the like. It's not just 40k; the drab and somewhat low-fantasy of WHFB replaced by the supermen of AoS and Sigmarites.

I know you can make a really strong argument for things having to evolve and to become more mainstream (and there is such a benefit to not having GW stores that are gloomy caves with a few guys with long hair sat in the corner listening to metal) but it does make you think that it has lost it's soul (or point of differentiation to other media at least) along the way.


I feel ya man yeah you are right about it losing it's soul. I'm doing a Dark Heresy campaign , the youngest members are 20 year olds and they are in it because of the old stuff, I mean compare Dow 1&2 to 3. Also completely anecdotal too but my younger brother didn't give a gak about heroes 6 or 7 but when he played heroes 2 and 3 he got hooked for life so I think the mainstream argument is a marketing graduate's pipedream, it will not end well for GW, but ofc they will blame the old men in their gloomy caves still clinging to the good stuff while listening to metal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/14 10:37:03


 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant






Possibly my favorite box art of any game is the 2nd edition Space Marine box. I vividly remember seeing it in a store window in the Summer of 1991. It seized my imagination in a way no other art ever had. It was epic and grand without being overly busy. It's what got me into the hobby. If there was ever a piece of original art I wanted to own it would be that. I may have to look into finding a high quality print.
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

 Cannibal wrote:
Possibly my favorite box art of any game is the 2nd edition Space Marine box. I vividly remember seeing it in a store window in the Summer of 1991. It seized my imagination in a way no other art ever had. It was epic and grand without being overly busy. It's what got me into the hobby. If there was ever a piece of original art I wanted to own it would be that. I may have to look into finding a high quality print.


I've been looking for a while to try and find a high-res version of that art too. I would love a copy of it or like you say a print.

If anyone has a link or a copy of a file, I would be extremely grateful!

It was the same for me, Epic 2nd edition was my first 'proper' wargame. Remember looking at Rogue Trader and all the supplements on the shelf in a local model shop. The sales person in the shop saw me looking and then said, at that point 40k is a bit of a muddle, but have you seen this new game? And then reached for the Space Marine boxset. Was immediately captivated by it - just such an awesome piece of artwork or really did capture what Epic was about.

* There are some higher-res links at the start of this thread but most of them have that damned Photobucket bandwidth watermark over them. I will get everything I can from there and then re-host it.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Moustache-twirling Princeps





Gone-to-ground in the craters of Coventry

Is that the 'Scarface' picture?
It's very realistic, and though not that much like other box art of the time, an excellent picture in its own right.

4000 pts - 4000 pts - Harlies: 1000 pts - 1000 ptsDS:70+S+G++MB+IPw40k86/f+D++A++/cWD64R+T(T)DM+
IG/AM force nearly-finished pieces: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-38888-41159_Armies%20-%20Imperial%20Guard.html
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw (probably)
Clubs around Coventry, UK 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Ah that was the 1st edition Space Marine (yes Dark Angels with the 'scarface' similarity) - that box was the Marine vs. Marine set that started the Horus Heresy storyline.

2nd edition was the ultramarines with the big Reaver titan in the background. Had Marines, Eldar and Orks in that set.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Jularbo wrote:
Now I bought a book on black library and I saw something called "warhammer adventure" and it was basically Dora the Explorer style but in 40k with kids being main characters but also not being kids. I don't understand who this new stuff is supposed to impress? Kids don't want to watch other kids roleplay as adults, they want to see adults doing cool gak, it's a reason why the old action/drama/adventure cartoons focused on adults fighting good vs evil whereas shows with kids were comedy based.

Yup, and that's why the biggest, most popular releases aimed at kids in the last 20 years, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, My Little Pony, Gravity Falls, Twilight, Eragon, Golden Compass, Train Your Dragon, etc, etc, were full of adults doing macho stuff. Oh, wait, no, they were starring kids and teenagers. Maybe you should realize you're not the centre of the universe and your tastes might not be universal pinnacle?

But maybe that's just the rotten west. Let's see what was most popular in Japan - Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Psyren, Carole & Tuesday, Bookworm, Abyss, etc, etc, etc, also somehow don't follow the adult best nonsense and funnily enough most popular series are about kids and teenagers. I wonder why when this market is far more cutthroat than western one and you can't fake/buy manga popularity and it has to be genuinely outdoing all competition in serialized press before getting chance of animation or even standalone release?

Even the really dark, violent series that could teach Warhammer a thing or two about grimdark like say Goblin Slayer, Claymore, Berserk, Fate, Overlord, etc, etc, funnily enough don't do the adult gak either. Late teens or at worst characters that barely entered 20s. Aka, someone relatable to kids. But I guess the whole planet must be wrong, eh?

Funnily enough, the real reason why cartoons used to contain only adults was because back then, they were toy ads - and executives believed macho garbage they could relate to sells better. You have been brainwashed by commercials meddled by old dudes who didn't know any better so hard they warped your worldview, and when market sent these to dustbin once competition by stuff that kids really wanted to read killed them, you found yourself doing the first part of the meme that ends up in someone saying "OK BOOMER". Which is good summation what today's young think of "cool gak" as seen by "adults"
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

I think they should have put all the new Primaris/Cawl background and Gulliman coming back in to Warhammer Adventure, it would have been a better fit

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Why? 40k has always been a cartoony mess, they fit just fine in the kid's GW game
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: