Switch Theme:

Captain Brown paints the 8th Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment the Spiders 600+ pictures to date  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader






Sydney

Now that's an army!

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Sharp looking force you have there!

I’m a big fan of the painting comp as a motivational tool. Really helps keep projects moving, even when the spirit is weak.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 12.5K+ Slowly growing 2Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




Surrey, BC - Canada

kestral wrote:That grey cloth is looking really good - the overall scheme with the bases is highly striking and effective.

Thank you kestral
The Riddle of Steel wrote:I agree with Kestral: the shading and layering on the grey cloth is very nice. And the models have enough contrast to define individual detail in large squads, which keeps them from blending together into a blob when you have large platoons. And everyone having the regimental number on the shoulder pads is a nice touch.

I also like the bits of characterful detail you have, such as the plasma gunners (unlike the other special and heavy weapons troopers) are all wearing gloves, presumably because of their weapons' propensity for overheating! I love those kind of modeling and painting details that cater to the background information and rules.

Thanks The Riddle of Steel, although cutting down the waterslide transfers was a pain. Yes, that was the goal of the heavy gloves and googles.
Lamby wrote:Now that's an army!

Thank you Lamby
Nevelon wrote:Sharp looking force you have there!

I’m a big fan of the painting comp as a motivational tool. Really helps keep projects moving, even when the spirit is weak.

Thanks Nevelon, speaking of the Unofficial painting completion...this month's entry I am pulling a model off the shelf that has been sitting for more than seven years on the shelf. I bought a plastic Valkyrie in late November 2011, having built and painted two resin ones I figured I would do one for my Spiders as flyers were all the rage and I was tired of facing opponents with several.

So going back in the archives here is some older shots of unbooking and assembling the model (which I was going to convert into a Vendetta as that was the best tank killer in the game at the time).

Here she is with six Lascanons.



Now I am going to do the Valkyrie configuration first and finally paint her.



The long painting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Houston, TX

Very cool! I am working on a Valkyrie myself. It is a wonderful kit. After messing with FW resin for my last few vehicle projects for my Horus Heresy army, it nearly brought tears to my eyes how nicely this plastic kit fit together.

I spent the last few days magnetizing the weapons (which I am not sure is worth the trouble for such a weak-ish fighting vehicle). But now that you are going to paint one, I should post my own WIP pictures and we can see how they turn out. Of course, your old resin ones were a big inspiration. Looking forward to seeing this one come together in your Spider colors.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in gb
Annoyed Blood Angel Devastator





Ooh, looking forward to see how the Valkyrie comes along! Is it just the lighting or is her tummy already white? Looks kinda shark like with the grey top... would look awesome with the big toothy mouth on the front! Would be a nice finish to the big infantry blob too

Gobert Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





I've enjoyed seeing your guard in the painting challenges, nice to see the force all together here. That valkyrie is going to be a great addition to the army, good luck getting it done on time for the challenge
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




Surrey, BC - Canada

The Riddle of Steel wrote:Very cool! I am working on a Valkyrie myself. It is a wonderful kit. After messing with FW resin for my last few vehicle projects for my Horus Heresy army, it nearly brought tears to my eyes how nicely this plastic kit fit together.

I spent the last few days magnetizing the weapons (which I am not sure is worth the trouble for such a weak-ish fighting vehicle). But now that you are going to paint one, I should post my own WIP pictures and we can see how they turn out. Of course, your old resin ones were a big inspiration. Looking forward to seeing this one come together in your Spider colors.

Thanks, when I bought this I had plans to convert it into a Vendetta and bought six Las Canons for that purpose, so I also glued the doors and rear hatch in...which will make the addition of a couple of heavy bolters an issue if I was to want them.
gobert wrote:Ooh, looking forward to see how the Valkyrie comes along! Is it just the lighting or is her tummy already white? Looks kinda shark like with the grey top... would look awesome with the big toothy mouth on the front! Would be a nice finish to the big infantry blob too

gobert, the top is a dark grey and the undercarriage is a light grey. I am not going to do the toothy grin, but I am going to try and do the Imperial Eagle wings.
Maharg wrote:I've enjoyed seeing your guard in the painting challenges, nice to see the force all together here. That valkyrie is going to be a great addition to the army, good luck getting it done on time for the challenge

Thank you Maharg.

Some base colours on my Valkyrie.





The long painting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Houston, TX

Good start!

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

My dream is to one day build a Valkyrie Heavy Imperial Guard army. Just need to win the lottery first . I like the direction the painting is coming on it. Will it be all black for the top, or is that just the basecoat?

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Annoyed Blood Angel Devastator





Great start, eagle wings sound as cool as toothy grim! What we can see of the cockpit looks sweet too.

Gobert Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




Surrey, BC - Canada

The Riddle of Steel wrote:Good start!

Thanks The Riddle of Steel
Theophony wrote:My dream is to one day build a Valkyrie Heavy Imperial Guard army. Just need to win the lottery first . I like the direction the painting is coming on it. Will it be all black for the top, or is that just the basecoat?

Well my Elysians have two and a Vulture and they just sit in a display case and never seem to get fielded anymore. It is dark grey on the top and light grey on the underside.
gobert wrote:Great start, eagle wings sound as cool as toothy grim! What we can see of the cockpit looks sweet too.

Thank you gobert.

OK, first the magnetized bits for the side fuselage mounts. Rocket Pods, Sensor, Las Canon and Multi Laser


Then the start of the imperial eagle wing designs on the top of the wings. Obtained a template and cut out the wings then secured it with electrical tape and white tac.
Spoiler:


First attempt...not a very clear outline.
Spoiler:


Then I used the cut out shape and glue it with a glue stick over the first white coat and then painted around it with grey.
Spoiler:


The long painting war continues...

CB


DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

For straight line templates, you might be able to cut and use painter’s tape. I lay some down on my cutting mat, and then cut strips the length/width I need and then apply them to the model. Now I just do it for hazard stripes and Eldar, but with the wide tape you might be able to get those wings. Use the template to cut the tape.

I still get some seepage if I don’t press it completely down, but it gets a pretty good line.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 12.5K+ Slowly growing 2Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in us
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Houston, TX

Ah, brilliant idea on the rocket pods! I wish I would have seen this a week ago before I did mine. I have no idea why they did not just make them with a thinner mounting strip on there like you have.

Xhorik 87th Drop Troops P&M blog https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/775655.page

Project log and campaign featuring Orks, Imperial Guard, Marines, Tyranids: http://www.xhorikwar.blogspot.com/
Currently focused on our Horus Heresy campaign with White Scars, Death Guard and Imperial Militia.  
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




Surrey, BC - Canada

The Riddle of Steel wrote:Ah, brilliant idea on the rocket pods! I wish I would have seen this a week ago before I did mine. I have no idea why they did not just make them with a thinner mounting strip on there like you have.

Thanks The Riddle of Steel
Nevelon wrote:For straight line templates, you might be able to cut and use painter’s tape. I lay some down on my cutting mat, and then cut strips the length/width I need and then apply them to the model. Now I just do it for hazard stripes and Eldar, but with the wide tape you might be able to get those wings. Use the template to cut the tape.

I still get some seepage if I don’t press it completely down, but it gets a pretty good line.


Thanks for the suggestion Nevelon. Mrs. Captain Brown had the same one, but I decided to at least finish what I had started to see if it was salvageable.

So, after removing the glued on template.


After touching up. If the forward feather looks a little odd it is because it follows the vectoring thruster towards the end of the wing.

I do not need it to be perfect as there is the highlight dry brushing to come and the weathering...which will tarnish the eagle wings.

Now to get the transfers on.

The long painting war continues...

CB



DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: