Switch Theme:

New historical kits for possible use in 40K  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Arlington, va

?? Those are US Amazon.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
Ah, the 'smile' is their charity program, you can leave it off take you to the same site.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/27 16:49:52


 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

my predictive text messed up, not edited

(they will ship to the UK but by the time they do, and the kit's are taxed they're no longer cheap)

 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Not really historical but this probably fits best in here



due this autumn apparently, and at 1/35 is probably going to be bigger than Dust etc walkers (so it would work very well as a superheavy for weird WWII gaming etc)

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]






Svalarheima, MA

What’s the best still decently supported Weird War II game out there these days?

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

...That's totally not a knock off of one of Dust's heavy walkers (and not the first time Model Collect have done that. Oh well, intellectual property doesn't exist in the gaming industry outside of GW).



Most Alt History games start up and die after a while. I suspect in part because they don't bother with actual historical accuracy, so don't manage to siphon off the historical market. Rather its the type of gamers who came from Games like 40K who may be interested instead. Who are typically flippant as to what they play, so eventually disappear off to collect something else with lasers and silly looking tanks.

Currently as far as I'm aware there's only really Konflikt 47. Secrets of the Third Reich had a revival, but it didn't seem to gain a massive amount of interest. Even K47 seems like a second or third tier product as far as Warlord Games are concerned. Its still supported and receiving expansions, with a release schedule set up for the immediate future (with big releases set for September). However its kind of tied to Bolt Action, and from what I played more like a home brew than a well balanced rule set. Tacking on features which are a bit cheesier than the regular WWII game.

Personally I just use existing rules sets and tack on the alternative history models. Its simple to stat them up if they're at least tied to reality (and not just space ships with plasma cannons). Though my own tastes lead me to just modifying other rules like Star Wars: Legion or Tanks for whatever setting I'm playing, rather than adopting a period specific set of rules.

(Obligatory plug for my Painting and Modelling Alt-history WWII thread here obviously )

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2019/06/11 16:17:16


 
   
Made in us
Mauleed




 Alpharius wrote:
What’s the best still decently supported Weird War II game out there these days?


Dust 1947 - going strong and growing! https://www.dustusa.net/

And the main site: http://www.dustgame.com/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/06/11 16:22:29


 
   
Made in gb
Leutnant




Somerset uk

jearrington wrote:
 Alpharius wrote:
What’s the best still decently supported Weird War II game out there these days?


Dust 1947 - going strong and growing! https://www.dustusa.net/

And the main site: http://www.dustgame.com/


Now I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that the dust setting is totally dead here in the uk. ‘‘Tis a shame really as the mech kits were pretty cool.

   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps







I love Dust's German flyers.
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







I can't stand Dust's chibi anime aircraft, personally, except maybe if looted by Grots.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/06/13 06:54:26


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

At least there's a few 1/72nd scale alternative history aircraft out there. Though in my own experience the real special stuff was done as short runs in resin, not mass produced plastic kits. I'd been looking for a helicopter for some German Paratroopers for instance, though just couldn't find the particular model I wanted, or the alternatives for a reasonable price.

It seems like historical miniatures are either focused on the smaller or larger scales, not the space in between, You can't even find a 1/50th resin kit for a T-54/5 - the most produced tank in history - if that's a way of judging things. I mostly just scratch build or convert my own stuff (which helps that I focus on modern vehicles largely based on Soviet era designs, and alt-history WWII stuff which to ease manufacturing used existing components ...eugh, other than these damn Soviets I'm working on right now who are all over the place - despite their ethos of incremental changes).

...Ah, but I'm perhaps bringing the baggage of a historical modeler into a thread mostly concerned about stuff which looks cool for 40K. Most I suspect will just stick a drain pipe onto that tank I'm griping about the details with and call it a Leman Russ.

 
   
Made in ch
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel





 Wyrmalla wrote:
At least there's a few 1/72nd scale alternative history aircraft out there. Though in my own experience the real special stuff was done as short runs in resin, not mass produced plastic kits. I'd been looking for a helicopter for some German Paratroopers for instance, though just couldn't find the particular model I wanted, or the alternatives for a reasonable price.

It seems like historical miniatures are either focused on the smaller or larger scales, not the space in between, You can't even find a 1/50th resin kit for a T-54/5 - the most produced tank in history - if that's a way of judging things. I mostly just scratch build or convert my own stuff (which helps that I focus on modern vehicles largely based on Soviet era designs, and alt-history WWII stuff which to ease manufacturing used existing components ...eugh, other than these damn Soviets I'm working on right now who are all over the place - despite their ethos of incremental changes).

...Ah, but I'm perhaps bringing the baggage of a historical modeler into a thread mostly concerned about stuff which looks cool for 40K. Most I suspect will just stick a drain pipe onto that tank I'm griping about the details with and call it a Leman Russ.


Suppose you don't know any decent sized Artillery pieces that could stand in for a Thudd gun / Heavy mortar or an Earthshaker?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





Not Online!!! wrote:
Suppose you don't know any decent sized Artillery pieces that could stand in for a Thudd gun / Heavy mortar or an Earthshaker?

Incidentally, Poland now has journal coming out every month with plastic WW2 models: http://wrzesien1939.pl/sklep/

Something that might work for you is the one with 100 mm field artillery gun:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:


[yes, they for some reason made 3 different kits of just that one gun differing in details only, IIRC crew is not included]

They also have german 10.5 cm if you prefer that:

Spoiler:
   
Made in ch
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel





 Irbis wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Suppose you don't know any decent sized Artillery pieces that could stand in for a Thudd gun / Heavy mortar or an Earthshaker?

Incidentally, Poland now has journal coming out every month with plastic WW2 models: http://wrzesien1939.pl/sklep/

Something that might work for you is the one with 100 mm field artillery gun:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:


[yes, they for some reason made 3 different kits of just that one gun differing in details only, IIRC crew is not included]

They also have german 10.5 cm if you prefer that:

Spoiler:


Thanks, altough the picture links are broken and i can't speak polish beyond the K word.
Is it in the right size ?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

As 40K stand ins I'd imagine you're looking for some massive barrels on your artillery pieces. Which either means going for a larger scale of model and just not focusing on how out of scale the operating controls are, or finding something with such a large bore, If you're using these models for 40K then you'd want to probably err towards larger scales anyway, as the official models tend to have outsized proportions.

There really isn't much in the way of anything in 1/48th scale for set artillery pieces. Outside of Italeri's 88mm flak gun. Even 1/48th scale may be too small however. The largest producers of artillery pieces come in 1/56th scale - commonly used for 28mm historicials, like Warlord Games, Trench Worx, Company B, Perry Miniatures etc. Without working on them most would at best count as Auto or Lascannons, as they'd be just too small for 40K. As are the large bore pieces not something so common in 28mm, as they aren't feasible for actual game use - and those which do appear are mostly self propelled like on tank chassis.

All this to say, most of the 40K applicable artillery pieces seem to come from after market 40K companies like Victoria Miniatures. Though you may get away with the largest of 28mm models like these from Heer 46. Even the Soviet B-4 has a smaller bore than a Leman Russ' Battlecannon (to get to that size in 28mm the piece would have to be the size of a few train cars...).







 
   
Made in ch
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel





Spoiler:
 Wyrmalla wrote:
As 40K stand ins I'd imagine you're looking for some massive barrels on your artillery pieces. Which either means going for a larger scale of model and just not focusing on how out of scale the operating controls are, or finding something with such a large bore, If you're using these models for 40K then you'd want to probably err towards larger scales anyway, as the official models tend to have outsized proportions.

There really isn't much in the way of anything in 1/48th scale for set artillery pieces. Outside of Italeri's 88mm flak gun. Even 1/48th scale may be too small however. The largest producers of artillery pieces come in 1/56th scale - commonly used for 28mm historicials, like Warlord Games, Trench Worx, Company B, Perry Miniatures etc. Without working on them most would at best count as Auto or Lascannons, as they'd be just too small for 40K. As are the large bore pieces not something so common in 28mm, as they aren't feasible for actual game use - and those which do appear are mostly self propelled like on tank chassis.

All this to say, most of the 40K applicable artillery pieces seem to come from after market 40K companies like Victoria Miniatures. Though you may get away with the largest of 28mm models like these from Heer 46. Even the Soviet B-4 has a smaller bore than a Leman Russ' Battlecannon (to get to that size in 28mm the piece would have to be the size of a few train cars...).







Thanks, something to mull over, very much appreciated, the diameter does not really concern me, moreso the main part of the gun size wise. ( considering my Renegades and heretics are from the anvil regiments line i am not to concerned with the overbroad barrels.)

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in es
Steadfast Grey Hunter





You might want to look at Victoria miniatures sledgehammer

https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/artillery/products/bfg-sledgehammer
   
Made in ch
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel







Now that are some for earthshakers,

Altough i will probably go with the 10.5 from BA as a heavy mortar/ Quad launcher, altough i would need a comparison pic.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

I have Warlord Games' 10.5cm German Howitzer in use with my modern Syrians (IIRC Czech post-war copies have shown up there). You could fit it on a 60-70mm round base I guess. Its 1/56th scale and so thinner proportioned than those Victoria Miniatures gun pieces - and probably a bit more complex to put together due to the size of the parts (and lack of instructions). The barrel's about as thick as a plastic Lascannon; even a 12.8 cm (one of the largest anti-tank guns of WWII) has a barrel just a tad thicker than a Lascannon - which are a few of the Heer46 models I linked.


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/06/14 19:04:59


 
   
Made in ch
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel





 Wyrmalla wrote:
I have Warlord Games' 10.5cm German Howitzer in use with my modern Syrians (IIRC Czech post-war copies have shown up there). You could fit it on a 60-70mm round base I guess. Its 1/56th scale and so thinner proportioned than those Victoria Miniatures gun pieces - and probably a bit more complex to put together due to the size of the parts (and lack of instructions). The barrel's about as thick as a plastic Lascannon; even a 12.8 cm (one of the largest anti-tank guns of WWII) has a barrel just a tad thicker than a Lascannon - which are a few of the Heer46 models I linked.




That should work. Thanks again your awesome.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: