Switch Theme:

No more muckin' about - Proppa Ork Tactics Thread [Lists in spoilers or we'll krump ya]  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





‘Chop da Shooty gitz, shoot da Choppy gitz.’

If you need protection for your Boyz on the way across the table, and Shooty goodness, consider the Wazbom Dakkajet. KFF will help with the first, the KMB and Smasha gun with the second.

   
Made in cz
Fresh-Faced New User





Prague

Hard task.

Tellyport strategems. A lot. 3?
Da jump from turn 1.
Wazboom plus 2 dakkajets to clear the screens before masive deepstrike.

Warbosses allows advance and charge.

Ignore other support characters. IMHO almost imposible to use them effectively in this scenario. But maybe some other opinions here...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/13 08:52:59


6000pt 
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine





russellmoo wrote:
The thing to remember is to be real about the limitations you place on yourself. In reality the way 8th edition's rules are designed, to make a melee army work you need to be able to reliably make it into close combat. This means for an ork army you can rely on a kultur bonus i.e. Evil sunz or stratagems.

Goff greentide struggles because there are no options to help them get into close combat, only buffs that make them hit harder once they get there.

If you want to keep within the goff kultur you can take a gorkanaut that is deep striking in. He can then shoot a hole in the chaff and use a stratagem to charge 3d6.

You can use your other boyz for chaff clearing on turn 1. Maybe make a first wave of boyz and stormboyz, then turn two everything else.

It is going to be tricky to get the numbers right. Also you can still be a melee centered army and bring some solid shooting. The fact is some things in this game just need to be shot, rather than choppa'd.


I sold out, but not completely. While my main army is still Blood Axes, I'm running 40 boyz in a Bad Moons / Dread Waagh SSAG detachment. Those 160 rerolling shots on turn 1, DaJumped anywhere, sound so good. Had to add yellow shoulder pads (blech) but the deed is done, and will run them soon.
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





Nebraska, USA

i feel your pain not wanting to play kultures you dont wanna play either for fluff or painting reasons.
Its the reason i run pure bad moonz. None of my stuff except a few random hyper-old stuff is painted anything else (Snikkrot not counting as hes fixed bloodaxe so painting him in bad moonz would be weird)
Lot of things i want to run but are a waste of time if i use bad moonz, and mixed kultures with the same paint scheme is a pain to keep track of.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

9000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
4000pts Admech/Knights 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




I don't think you can run an even mildly competitive ork list without mixing kultures in an unfluffy way.
I just think of my warband as a merry klusterfu.k of greenskins put together by fate of war, ready for some good ol krumpin hah hah
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 JimOnMars wrote:


I sold out, but not completely. While my main army is still Blood Axes, I'm running 40 boyz in a Bad Moons / Dread Waagh SSAG detachment. Those 160 rerolling shots on turn 1, DaJumped anywhere, sound so good. Had to add yellow shoulder pads (blech) but the deed is done, and will run them soon.


Key word there is "Sound so good" but in reality are meh. You use 1 strat to mob up, you use another strat to dakka twice and a weirdboy to da jump.

The math boils down to being able to wipe out a tac squad in 1 turn. But thats like 130pts where as you used closer to 340pts and 3 CP to do it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Vineheart01 wrote:
i feel your pain not wanting to play kultures you dont wanna play either for fluff or painting reasons.
Its the reason i run pure bad moonz. None of my stuff except a few random hyper-old stuff is painted anything else (Snikkrot not counting as hes fixed bloodaxe so painting him in bad moonz would be weird)
Lot of things i want to run but are a waste of time if i use bad moonz, and mixed kultures with the same paint scheme is a pain to keep track of.


My army is painted in a firm mismatch of kultures. I have a ton of Evil Sunz and Blood Axes and some Bad Moonz. I have ZERO Snakebitez and the only real Goff I have is Ghaz.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/14 13:49:28


If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in us
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






Looks like the new marine transport is getting a rule that lets them disembark after the vehicle moved as long as it didn't advance, but the unit disembarking can't charge. Makes me hopeful that trucks and BW's get a similar rule if we get a V2 of our codex.

2700+
2500+
1000
500 
   
Made in us
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'




Douglasville, GA

No point if we can't charge out of it. Might as well stay inside and fire out of it with Open-Topped.

Side note: a multi-Kultured Ork army is about the fluffiest thing I can think of. Ork settlements aren't like the other races. You got Goffs brawling with Bad Moonz, and Deathskulls lootin' from Evil Sunz, and all the rest. And when they want to scrap with someone else, it ain't like the Bad Moonz are gonna stay behind while the Snakebitez go play. They all want to get in on that Waagh.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 DrGiggles wrote:
Looks like the new marine transport is getting a rule that lets them disembark after the vehicle moved as long as it didn't advance, but the unit disembarking can't charge. Makes me hopeful that trucks and BW's get a similar rule if we get a V2 of our codex.


Unless they give us a unit thats worth taking in a transport it doesn't really help us. I am assuming we get the reverse of this rule, we can get out and charge but not advance or some such shenanigans. But at the moment....what unit do we have that would use a transport to arrive into CC? Boyz? Not in trukkz and even a BW isn't worth it because if you lose 1 boy to Overwatch you lose 19 attacks.

Nobz? Still too over priced and not killy enough. Meganobz? Same as nobz but worse in my opinion. So what unit do you put in these transport to benefit from this possible new rule?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 flandarz wrote:
No point if we can't charge out of it. Might as well stay inside and fire out of it with Open-Topped.

Side note: a multi-Kultured Ork army is about the fluffiest thing I can think of. Ork settlements aren't like the other races. You got Goffs brawling with Bad Moonz, and Deathskulls lootin' from Evil Sunz, and all the rest. And when they want to scrap with someone else, it ain't like the Bad Moonz are gonna stay behind while the Snakebitez go play. They all want to get in on that Waagh.


Damnit, I broke the exalt button

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/14 14:51:46


If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in us
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






 flandarz wrote:
No point if we can't charge out of it. Might as well stay inside and fire out of it with Open-Topped.

Side note: a multi-Kultured Ork army is about the fluffiest thing I can think of. Ork settlements aren't like the other races. You got Goffs brawling with Bad Moonz, and Deathskulls lootin' from Evil Sunz, and all the rest. And when they want to scrap with someone else, it ain't like the Bad Moonz are gonna stay behind while the Snakebitez go play. They all want to get in on that Waagh.


Agreed, that's why I said I hope we get a similar rule not an exact copy. Even if it was an exact copy of the rule if there was a stratagem or additional rule letting the unit charge after disembarking it would make trucks more appealing.

2700+
2500+
1000
500 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





Nebraska, USA

Yeah for orks that rule is sorta pointless.
Tankbustas or burnas would be about all you'd ever want to do that with, and both would be a suicide tactic not a valid every-day strat.

I also play Admech and im super salty that even though we just got a transport that was given unusual emphasis that "it has a loading ramp!" we didnt get that rule, but Marines did when marines usually dont want it either. Admech would have gone bonkers for that rule lol

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

9000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
4000pts Admech/Knights 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 DrGiggles wrote:
Looks like the new marine transport is getting a rule that lets them disembark after the vehicle moved as long as it didn't advance, but the unit disembarking can't charge. Makes me hopeful that trucks and BW's get a similar rule if we get a V2 of our codex.


Not really. Orks are not marines, they want to be able to charge.
The transport rules are a little backwards, they should have allowed disembark after moving, but reduce the minimal charge distance to 3" to stop turn 1 charges...not that those aren't already possible with tyranids.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/10/14 18:33:29


What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in us
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'




Douglasville, GA

SemperMortis wrote:
But at the moment....what unit do we have that would use a transport to arrive into CC? Boyz? Not in trukkz and even a BW isn't worth it because if you lose 1 boy to Overwatch you lose 19 attacks.

Nobz? Still too over priced and not killy enough. Meganobz? Same as nobz but worse in my opinion. So what unit do you put in these transport to benefit from this possible new rule?


Maybe Badmoonz Burnas? Hop em out, let em double shoot, then charge em in with their AP-2 CC Burnas? Throw a Banner Nob and Pain Boy in there with them, to fill up some slots in the Battlewagon. Probably not optimal, but it could be useful.
   
Made in se
Krazy Grot Kutta Driva






So, when is our turn In this psychic awakening?
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Book 4 at the beginning of next year if I understand correctly.
We're up against Space Wolves, so don't expect a meaningful victory for us in the storyline.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ca
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot





Ugh, I hate that we're against the space furries. Wasn't a fan of that last time with Sanctus Reach, I'd hate for them to just do an effective repeat of that. Give me BT anytime over them. I was disappointed to hear that it wasn't against Nids since I know that the last big thing was the Octarius Orks still duking it out against the Nids in the system.

Given the emphasis on psykers, we'll probably get a plastic Weirdboy from the event, if we're lucky we'll get another psychic table and maybe Old Zogwort. Since the 2 factions involved in the Eldar one got one new kit each, I'm guessing we'll get either plastic Kommandos or Tankbustas. Space Wolves will get some wulfen-primaris thing or SW specific unit, with a plastic primaris wolf priest/rune priest probably.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/14 21:49:13


My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





Nebraska, USA

Yeah im a bit annoyed its against Wolves again too.
Especially since theres bound to be stuff i want in there, and i kid you not we have 0 space wolf players around here lol. So i cant go halvsies, gotta just hope i can ebay off the filthy 'umie side.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

9000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
4000pts Admech/Knights 
   
Made in ca
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot





Worst part is if the kits from the Eldar box is anything to go by, besides the new kits, it'll be mainly them trying to push things with low sales. So probably the obligatory trukk, stormboyz, warbikerz, killa kanz or god forbid anything like a rukkatrukk squigbuggy.

My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Box sets are kanz and deff dreads all the time


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Orks back in the top 4s, despite Ironhands everywere:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/dhrgmm/pandas_weekend_rundown_10121013/

At Midtcon Rasmus Olesen places second with the established combination of tons of smashas, lootas, SAGs and evil suns boys.

Andreas Drachmann comes in fourth with goff boyz and nobz!

Elliot Levy places third at Michigan GT with a deff skulls brigade and lootas.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/15 08:19:47


 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in us
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






 Jidmah wrote:
Box sets are kanz and deff dreads all the time


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Orks back in the top 4s, despite Ironhands everywere:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/dhrgmm/pandas_weekend_rundown_10121013/

At Midtcon Rasmus Olesen places second with the established combination of tons of smashas, lootas, SAGs and evil suns boys.

Andreas Drachmann comes in fourth with goff boyz and nobz!

Elliot Levy places third at Michigan GT with a deff skulls brigade and lootas.


That is surprising. Do you have a stream or breakdown on how Andreas was using his list? I'm guessing he made the boyz all skarboyz and marched up with Ghaz to drown the enemy in S5 attacks while the smashas do their thing?

2700+
2500+
1000
500 
   
Made in no
Krazy Grot Kutta Driva






What´s our best chance vs those broke ass IH ? Shooting, CC, or board Control?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Orks flyer spam?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/15 18:26:46


 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut





 Emicrania wrote:
What´s our best chance vs those broke ass IH ? Shooting, CC, or board Control?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Orks flyer spam?


Picking up Iron Hands?
   
Made in se
Krazy Grot Kutta Driva






We are organizing a major in February and the first rule will be WYSIWYG with colour scheme aswell. I'm so fething tired of yellows IH or red WS...
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Too bad that doesn't stop getting tons of IH benefits with parent chapter system anyway. Indeed lots of IH armies are actually using the custom traits as it is...

Also how you deal with orks then There's no custom klan system so are you going to force those with custom colour scheme play without klan bonuses?

edit: while I agree with the sentiment alas the GW has screwed up system so badly this just doesn't work. Alas we are stuck with free rules often leading to totally illogical combinations(like evil suns who wants to be the slow units rather than fast) and being totally screwed in terms of balance and really kicking anybody in the groins for trying to stick to one chapter/regiment/whatever(seems according to GW only 2 dynasties of necrons use airplanes and of those only 1 really. Rest have literally bonuses that have zero effect to airplanes...maximum advance? Gee. Planes do that already! Actually since it specifically says advances 6" rather than rolling dice would it mean plane advances 6" rather than 20" as other races? So weakens the unit...)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/10/16 12:00:48


https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/11/16/tneva82-goblins-humans-and-elves/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Emicrania wrote:
We are organizing a major in February and the first rule will be WYSIWYG with colour scheme aswell. I'm so fething tired of yellows IH or red WS...


What if you army has a custom paintjob? No bonuses?
This is why I don't really like how the faction rules were done initially. The custom chapter thing should have been done from the very get go.

What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in eu
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





 DrGiggles wrote:
That is surprising. Do you have a stream or breakdown on how Andreas was using his list? I'm guessing he made the boyz all skarboyz and marched up with Ghaz to drown the enemy in S5 attacks while the smashas do their thing?

Sorry, no. The entire coverage gets drowned in "IH is OP" discussions, I couldn't find anything related to how the ork players played.

However, what those three guys did show us that we can beat Iron Hands, as the average player faced them them roughly every other game.

Most of their power seems to come from
1) castled up executioners(FLY and -2" charge against them) with iron stone and repair shenanigans that can pretty much move anywhere they want as they don't get -1 to hit
2) Invictors popping up 9" outside of your deployment zone to gun down infantry and block movement
3) TF cannon shooting twice (while re-rolling ones) and potentially halving movement of whatever it hits
4) Units that go over the curve by losing the -1 to hit penalty from moving and re-rolling ones like storm talons and land speeders

So I guess if your best chance at beating them is not getting caught on the wrong foot by invictors and then don't shoot things you can't kill - ie prioritize invictors, talons, land speeders, tf (if visible) and objective campers over the castle.
Charging is dangerous since the overwatch by most of these things is really deadly (high ROF, hit on 5+), and the executioners reduce your charge range, so use with care.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

Anyone use Runtherds to keep Grots from legging it? I cant seem to justify 35 points =/

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in us
Xeno-Hating Inquisitorial Excruciator




MI

 Ratius wrote:
Anyone use Runtherds to keep Grots from legging it? I cant seem to justify 35 points =/

Even harder to justify when you consider a Warboss can do the same job and more. Runtherds are sadly underwhelming in 8th.
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





Nebraska, USA

Theres some lengthy discussions about runtherders several pages back.

Jist of it: never, ever, EVER use runtherders.

You need 1 to cover like 2-3 30x grot squads for it to actually be worth it. And even then...just use a damn warboss.
Runtherders dont even use an elite slot so they arent even viable to fill slots up.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

9000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
4000pts Admech/Knights 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




As passengers on a transport are not affected by aura abilities, v1.6 FAQ rulebook, do units in a battlewagon get the +1 to hit if competitive streak goes off?

I would say no, as competitive streak is a 24” aura effect from the unit that destroyed an enemy unit (my interpretation).
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: