Switch Theme:

Owoo!! Space Wolf Tactica: 8th Edition.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in fi
Sure Space Wolves Land Raider Pilot





So what is the full wording on the outflank stratagem? Infantry only?

7000+
2500 
   
Made in hk
Perfect Shot Ultramarine Predator Pilot




 Weazel wrote:
So what is the full wording on the outflank stratagem? Infantry only?


It's good enough already, even if it is "infantry only". I can outflank a decently large pack of Wuflen (like 7-8 men strong). With reroll the charge ability they will be pretty scary. Moreover, it relive my Landraider or Spartan to carry something else, like Bloodclaws or WG Terminators.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I played my first game this weekend with the new CA rules and I have to say what a difference! I used Harald Death Wolf with a squad of wulfen and grey hunters in a drop pod. outflanked/deep struck into an open corner behind his lines and really did some work, not only in killing an exocrine and some huge flying monster but also creating a huge distraction that allowed my twc and other stuff deployed normally to advance more safely.

The much cheaper drop pod secured me line breaker at the end as well. They seem to be worth taking again finally.

I also ran into a situation where true grit would have been extremely useful. Thinking it’d be meh and situational I burned my cps earlier. He consolidated genestealers into my grey hunters from a Razorback he blew up. We did the true grit just for fun without counting it and I would have killed 4 of them instead of having to retreat and doing nothing.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2017/12/04 06:18:32


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




ArmchairArbiter wrote:
I played my first game this weekend with the new CA rules and I have to say what a difference! I used Harald Death Wolf with a squad of wulfen and grey hunters in a drop pod. outflanked/deep struck into an open corner behind his lines and really did some work, not only in killing an exocrine and some huge flying monster but also creating a huge distraction that allowed my twc and other stuff deployed normally to advance more safely.

The much cheaper drop pod secured me line breaker at the end as well. They seem to be worth taking again finally.

I also ran into a situation where true grit would have been extremely useful. Thinking it’d be meh and situational I burned my cps earlier. He convoluted genestealers into my grey hunters in a Razorback he blew up. We did the true grit just for fun without counting it and I would have killed 4 of them instead of having to retreat and doing nothing.


That is true, I didn't think of true grit in that fashion, but it really could be situational / useful. Instead of falling back you can keep shooting. Good point out.
   
Made in fi
Sure Space Wolves Land Raider Pilot





Neophyte2012 wrote:
 Weazel wrote:
So what is the full wording on the outflank stratagem? Infantry only?


It's good enough already, even if it is "infantry only". I can outflank a decently large pack of Wuflen (like 7-8 men strong). With reroll the charge ability they will be pretty scary. Moreover, it relive my Landraider or Spartan to carry something else, like Bloodclaws or WG Terminators.


Never said it wasn't good. Just hadn't seen a full leak of it is all.

Between that stratagem and Wulfen actually becoming significantly cheaper it's becoming very tempting to buy a box or two even if I still loathe the models...

7000+
2500 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




Germany, Frankfurt area

It's Space Wolves Infantry only

 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Splashing Dark Angels for fun and profit...

So I can forgive all the other Space Wolf players if you haven't been following the Dark Angel teasers, yesterday however an interesting strategem came up.



Today - more DA fluff, including pretty solid 'reroll 1' if you stand still and the ability to buff plasma as well.

So - I'm splashing some DA.

I'm looking to take a DA Spearhead with an Interrogator-Chaplain with a jump pack and power fist and a small pile of hellblasters. The hellblasters can be left alone to burn their way through things and don't need a re-roll 1's buff as DA. (Presuming they stand still.)

The Chaplain will be faced off with a jump pack wolf priest, the LD 10 bubble on the wolf priest, combined with the self-heal and ability to deploy both of them via jump pack if necessary is my current thought.

I was originally thinking just a patrol, but the benefit of stationary re-rolls opens up a good synergy with plasma that the wolves don't have.
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut





yeh im liking that option! Though ive also been thinking of using wolf hellblasters for that strat to infiltrate or aggressors!
   
Made in it
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls




Italy

Wulfen and wolf guard terminators can become absolute beasts with that buff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/06 11:00:17


Orks 9000
Space Wolves 5500
Drukhari 4700 
   
Made in hk
Perfect Shot Ultramarine Predator Pilot




 Blackie wrote:
Wulfen and wolf guard terminators can become absolute beasts with that buff.


Arjack the Rockfist comes to mind, he will be really good and have enough wounds to eat that 50% chance MW. Compared to Wuflen or Terminators who only have 2 wounds.
   
Made in it
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls




Italy

But arjac is a single dude. With the stratagem you can buff 5-10 models in the same unit. Which means more attacks and more wounds in total than arjac.

The stratagem could have made TWC absolutely amazing, but unfortunately it can only be applied to infantries.

Orks 9000
Space Wolves 5500
Drukhari 4700 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




It literally only affects one model.
   
Made in us
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor






 Blackie wrote:
With the new stratagem I'm trying a list with TWC, wulfen and bikes deployed plus a second outflanking unit of wulfen and deep striking terminators. 10-12 long fangs, 3 min units of grey hunters and 2 HQs (among njal, arjac, wolf lord, wolf priest) to complete the list. Sometimes I have some points spared and I also include 5-6 fenrisian wolves.

I'm glad we now have the possibility to play a pure SW list, I didn't abandoned twin ass cannons razorbacks but I love the typical SW units and thanks to CA I'm really enjoying playing them for the first time in this edition.


What is your go-to for long fangs loadouts?

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





xmbk wrote:
It literally only affects one model.


No the way it reads is you roll for each model in the squad. If it survives it gets the buff.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Literally, it says "choose one model".
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





xmbk wrote:
Literally, it says "choose one model".


I am an idiot and speed read through the part talking about both armies. LMAO.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/12/07 16:37:19


 
   
Made in us
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard




Ulfhednar_42 wrote:
Splashing Dark Angels for fun and profit...

So I can forgive all the other Space Wolf players if you haven't been following the Dark Angel teasers, yesterday however an interesting strategem came up.



Today - more DA fluff, including pretty solid 'reroll 1' if you stand still and the ability to buff plasma as well.

So - I'm splashing some DA.

I'm looking to take a DA Spearhead with an Interrogator-Chaplain with a jump pack and power fist and a small pile of hellblasters. The hellblasters can be left alone to burn their way through things and don't need a re-roll 1's buff as DA. (Presuming they stand still.)

The Chaplain will be faced off with a jump pack wolf priest, the LD 10 bubble on the wolf priest, combined with the self-heal and ability to deploy both of them via jump pack if necessary is my current thought.

I was originally thinking just a patrol, but the benefit of stationary re-rolls opens up a good synergy with plasma that the wolves don't have.

Question:
Does anyone think that this Strategem is worth TWO Command Points? Because I could possibly take like an Aux detachment just to get access to this. I don't really want to start a whole collection of Dark Angels, but getting a bump like this to a beatstick character would be super great.
   
Made in it
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls




Italy

xmbk wrote:
It literally only affects one model.


You're right, only one model. I read it wrong.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 gwarsh41 wrote:
 Blackie wrote:
With the new stratagem I'm trying a list with TWC, wulfen and bikes deployed plus a second outflanking unit of wulfen and deep striking terminators. 10-12 long fangs, 3 min units of grey hunters and 2 HQs (among njal, arjac, wolf lord, wolf priest) to complete the list. Sometimes I have some points spared and I also include 5-6 fenrisian wolves.

I'm glad we now have the possibility to play a pure SW list, I didn't abandoned twin ass cannons razorbacks but I love the typical SW units and thanks to CA I'm really enjoying playing them for the first time in this edition.


What is your go-to for long fangs loadouts?


Typically 6 dudes with 5 lascannons. Even 6 with 4 lascannons or 5 with 4 lascannos work good. Occasionally I've tried 6 with 5 lascannons and 6 with 5 missile launchers in a list with no vehicles. I've also played a unit of 6 with 5 heavy bolters in a rhino or razorback, IMHO not that great. Never tried plasma cannons in this edition and I don't own long fangs with multi meltas.

Lascannons are the best loadout for long fangs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/07 08:04:46


Orks 9000
Space Wolves 5500
Drukhari 4700 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





If one were to add a Knight to a Space Wolf army... what Knight would you guys purchase? I had forgotten there were so many variants.
   
Made in us
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets






A Protoss colony world

After reading through Chapter Approved and the point changes/stratagems for Space Wolves, I find myself wanting to perhaps get started in earnest on my own Sons of Russ. I recently purchased Burning of Prospero at a huge discount, and I want to make one of the Mk. III squads into a unit of SW Gray Hunters. I already have one squad of Gray Hunters built, with 2 Plasmaguns. Should I put more Plasmas on this new squad, or should I perhaps go with Meltas instead? Are Meltas a good option for them? Perhaps out of a newly-discounted Drop Pod?

My armies (re-counted and updated on 12/01/17, including usual wargear options):
Dark Angels: ~10300 | Space Marines (Blood Ravens and others): ~1000 | Space Wolves: ~1500
Inquisition: ~200 | Officio Assassinorum: ~500 | Imperial Knights: ~Coming soon!
Tau Empire: ~5700 | Chaos Space Marines (various legions): ~7700 | Death Guard: ~1900 | Chaos Daemons (all types): ~2300
Check out my P&M Blogs: ZergSmasher's P&M Blog | Stormsurge blog | Imperial Knights: Renegade blog | Total models painted in 2017: 65 | Total models painted in 2018: 10 | Current main painting project: Alpha Legion Sorcerer
 Mr_Rose wrote:
Who doesn’t love crazy mutant squawk-puppies? Eh? Nobody, that’s who.
 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Waaaghpower wrote:

Question:
Does anyone think that this Strategem is worth TWO Command Points? Because I could possibly take like an Aux detachment just to get access to this. I don't really want to start a whole collection of Dark Angels, but getting a bump like this to a beatstick character would be super great.


I'd take a patrol with an ablative scout squad with 'concealed positions' rather than burn the second CP. It's 5 inexpensive models to get your double ended beat stick.
   
Made in it
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls




Italy

 ZergSmasher wrote:
After reading through Chapter Approved and the point changes/stratagems for Space Wolves, I find myself wanting to perhaps get started in earnest on my own Sons of Russ. I recently purchased Burning of Prospero at a huge discount, and I want to make one of the Mk. III squads into a unit of SW Gray Hunters. I already have one squad of Gray Hunters built, with 2 Plasmaguns. Should I put more Plasmas on this new squad, or should I perhaps go with Meltas instead? Are Meltas a good option for them? Perhaps out of a newly-discounted Drop Pod?


Plasma guns are way better than meltas in this edition. Drop pods received a cheaper price but with the 9'' limit you can't arrive in melta range. Maybe multi meltas can work with pods since their range in better and they can arrive in melta range.

Orks 9000
Space Wolves 5500
Drukhari 4700 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I just miss dropping my dreadnought with multimelta behind enemy lines and popping a predator in the rear then hiding behind the drop pod for the next few turns as my opponent trys to get revenge on my dread. Lol good times. :p

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Azuza001 wrote:
I just miss dropping my dreadnought with multimelta behind enemy lines and popping a predator in the rear then hiding behind the drop pod for the next few turns as my opponent trys to get revenge on my dread. Lol good times. :p



The forgeworld drop pod that transports a single dreadnought is cheaper than the standard dreadnoughts so you can still attempt to do that .
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran




UK

ArmchairArbiter wrote:
If one were to add a Knight to a Space Wolf army... what Knight would you guys purchase? I had forgotten there were so many variants.


I have run a Knight Crusader with my Wolves to great effect. Battle Cannon, Avenger Cannon and Stormspear missiles makes him a beast for the volume of fire he can put out. My experience to date has been that Knight melee weapons are really only worth taking if you are facing another super-heavy. Against anything else, massed stomp attacks are far more effective which means the best use of the Knight chassis is to load it with as many guns as possible and blaze away.

It doesn't usually last to the end of the battle but it does not go down easily and it does not go down alone. It normally easily makes it points back and can absorb the firepower of most armies for a turn or two giving your Wolves the chance they need to get up close where they excel.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star. 
   
Made in no
Powerful Ushbati





Bergen

I ran SW in 5th. Edition. Lots of drop pods and wolf guards. You could place wolf guards in other units. Some times bikes.

When bran redmaw came, I converted him.

I have not played since 6tt with them. But the new stratagem looks great.

I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




UK

Managed to end my losing streak in large part thanks to the new stratagem. I spent 3CPs to have 3 units outflank.

Wulfen arriving on one flank getting a 9" charge, then drop podding in 20 bloods claws within 12" of them for the re-roll buff.

On the other flank I had outflanking Long Fangs with multi-meltas - they totally whiffed. If they had done their job I would have won more comfortably.

Then I had a unit of Wolf Guard with storm bolters also in outflank which I left till turn 2 to arrive, after the Wulfen and blood claws had cleared a hole for them to arrive in the backline.

Rest of my list was more Long Fangs with lascannons (also whiffed their shots before getting minced by a daemon prince), two units of grey hunters who performed admirably as objective campers, a fire raptor which I easily had my best game with (60pt-ish drop from Chapter Approved helped) - it completely chewed through marines and cultists whilst also threatening armour with its lascannons.

Also included a Wolf Priest with jump pack - not sure that's the way to run him though. I had real difficulty getting him close enough to combat units to give his buff. Maybe a bike would be better for the 20" advance move? Not sure yet.

Finally a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with TH and plasma pistol - really liked him - especially when he caught up to the Fire Raptor! Have often run Bjorn in HQ but he's just too slow/too many points.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 Patch wrote:
Managed to end my losing streak in large part thanks to the new stratagem. I spent 3CPs to have 3 units outflank.

Wulfen arriving on one flank getting a 9" charge, then drop podding in 20 bloods claws within 12" of them for the re-roll buff.

On the other flank I had outflanking Long Fangs with multi-meltas - they totally whiffed. If they had done their job I would have won more comfortably.

Then I had a unit of Wolf Guard with storm bolters also in outflank which I left till turn 2 to arrive, after the Wulfen and blood claws had cleared a hole for them to arrive in the backline.

Rest of my list was more Long Fangs with lascannons (also whiffed their shots before getting minced by a daemon prince), two units of grey hunters who performed admirably as objective campers, a fire raptor which I easily had my best game with (60pt-ish drop from Chapter Approved helped) - it completely chewed through marines and cultists whilst also threatening armour with its lascannons.

Also included a Wolf Priest with jump pack - not sure that's the way to run him though. I had real difficulty getting him close enough to combat units to give his buff. Maybe a bike would be better for the 20" advance move? Not sure yet.

Finally a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with TH and plasma pistol - really liked him - especially when he caught up to the Fire Raptor! Have often run Bjorn in HQ but he's just too slow/too many points.


Good explanations. I find that it depends on my strategy and the rest of the army that I go with Bjorn or WL on Thunderwolf. If I am expecting to be on the defensive I go Bjorn and some venerable dreads with blizzard shield / great axe. If I am going to be on the offensive Bjorn is too slow like you said and it's thunderwolf time.
   
Made in us
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets






A Protoss colony world

Ooh, I like the idea of outflanking some Multimeltas close to the enemy. I don't have my CA book in front of me, but does the strat allow them to pop up like the Alpha Legion guys that use Forward Operatives, or do they count as having walked on during that turn (and therefore suffer the -1 to hit on heavy weapons)?

My armies (re-counted and updated on 12/01/17, including usual wargear options):
Dark Angels: ~10300 | Space Marines (Blood Ravens and others): ~1000 | Space Wolves: ~1500
Inquisition: ~200 | Officio Assassinorum: ~500 | Imperial Knights: ~Coming soon!
Tau Empire: ~5700 | Chaos Space Marines (various legions): ~7700 | Death Guard: ~1900 | Chaos Daemons (all types): ~2300
Check out my P&M Blogs: ZergSmasher's P&M Blog | Stormsurge blog | Imperial Knights: Renegade blog | Total models painted in 2017: 65 | Total models painted in 2018: 10 | Current main painting project: Alpha Legion Sorcerer
 Mr_Rose wrote:
Who doesn’t love crazy mutant squawk-puppies? Eh? Nobody, that’s who.
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Hey friends.
I played my first game post chapter approved. Tabled a necron army. Outflanking wulfen were undoubtedly the MVPs if the game. They were destroying from the first to the last turn. I’m so happy and can’t wait until we actually have a codex. Named hero cost reduction made me decide to run bjorn and Njall. Won’t leave home without them now! In 2k I’ll probably run Arjac as well. Sucks that the razorbacks and assault canons went up, but man the new stratagems are great and all the other point cost reductions are more than welcome! I’d like to see some rules for adding attack bikes to wolfguard bike squads. I always liked the look of the side cars. But seem uselesss with swiftclaws only. Sorry if my rant was pointless. For Russ!!!
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: