Switch Theme:

KS Pacific Rim Miniatures Game - Wave 2 shipping pg 4  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN




Well, the rules overview is there, I guess.

Too bad I don't know what special abities get triggered though. She won't tell me, so I guess I'll have "deal with it".

I do like the action cards sequence. Not really much else to remark on. The overview is pretty sparse.

Interesting to note: even the non demo 'demo' displayed uses 4 models.

   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





I'd think more terrain/buildings would help a lot too.

Insidious Intriguer 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

 Mysterio wrote:
I'd think more terrain/buildings would help a lot too.


Honestly, I think a better design would be pretty helpful as well.

I don't think it is a horrible design, but it appears mediocre at best. :( Which is painfully disappointing.

I agree with other people on various sites. This is a very rushed design. Yet another half baked KS game to get lumped in with the rest of the sub par KS games designed for a cash in without regard to bringing anything new to the table.

Which frankly fits the entire idea of the kaiju genre since their movies basically reflect that ethos.
But that rationale still didn't help Richard Berg's Kaiju World Wars, a big production and license that was universally rejected by the gaming community at large. Now forgotten other than the infamy for its disappointment.

If you're a backer, I'm not trying to sway your opinion. Enjoy your game.

But if you're not a backer and are looking for a decent kaiju game based on a fun license, you'll just have to keep waiting like the rest of us. Nothing to see here.

Sorry backers if I'm not helping to ramp up funding so you can get more stuff. Tell the creators to do better. It's their fault for it's lack of success. The names 'Alessio' and ' Pacific Rim' can only carry it so far.

   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

 Hellfury wrote:
 Mysterio wrote:
I'd think more terrain/buildings would help a lot too.


Honestly, I think a better design would be pretty helpful as well.

I don't think it is a horrible design, but it appears mediocre at best. :( Which is painfully disappointing.

I agree with other people on various sites. This is a very rushed design. Yet another half baked KS game to get lumped in with the rest of the sub par KS games designed for a cash in without regard to bringing anything new to the table.

Which frankly fits the entire idea of the kaiju genre since their movies basically reflect that ethos.
But that rationale still didn't help Richard Berg's Kaiju World Wars, a big production and license that was universally rejected by the gaming community at large. Now forgotten other than the infamy for its disappointment.

If you're a backer, I'm not trying to sway your opinion. Enjoy your game.

But if you're not a backer and are looking for a decent kaiju game based on a fun license, you'll just have to keep waiting like the rest of us. Nothing to see here.

Sorry backers if I'm not helping to ramp up funding so you can get more stuff. Tell the creators to do better. It's their fault for it's lack of success. The names 'Alessio' and ' Pacific Rim' can only carry it so far.

It might not be up to gamer standards, or bring anything new to the table, except people. this is a project for a movie that did great internationally, and therefore doesn’t have to bring new stuff to the table, just be exciting for those who enjoyed the movie. If they can cash in on some of the fans of the movie then it will be good for everyone as it will grow the community. If people enjoy it, but want more depth, variation or want to explore other games then it’s a total win. But for it to be the next BIG thing, I think that’s not really their goal. After all it’s not like they would be allowed to create their own Kaiju or characters and any further expanse will be dictated by the movie.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

I enjoyed the movie and find the design middling, but I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Their goal is cashing in on a license with the least amount of effort. Let's not kid ourselves about otherwise.

Also, if you watch the interview with Alessio, they DO have the ability to create new Kaiju. Still subject to review by licensee of course

   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





I am going to watch the new movie this week. Hopefully it gets me in the mood to assemble & paint my second Imperial Knight.

This Pacific Rim board looks really sparse. Why didn´t they do a demo game for potential customers?
   
Made in ca
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

I'm very happy for this game to succeed in spite of it being a competitor to my own Titanomachina game. Actually, because it's a competitor!

Firstly, we need more giant robot gaming, and I don't have the name recognition that Alessio Cavatore and Pacific Rim have. If people buy this and it scratches an itch, I feel like they're going to dig around to see what else is out there (and games like GKR: Heavy Hitters, and Giga-Robo are already going to be in stores). If people know this sort of thing is available, then they're going to go looking for it. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that. Introducing people to this sort of gaming is good.

Secondly, there's a ton of space in the giant robot genre to play. GKR, Giga-Robo, and my own Titanomachina are all visually distinct from Pacific Rim: Extinction, and they all cover similar ground in a similar way while providing variety, and choice is good for consumers. That other people are trying to fill that space suggests, to me, that it's a space worth filling. There's space for lots of different sub-genres and games!

Finally, I'm pretty sure I followed that game-play video, and understand the gameplay description on the KS, and since someone was going to do it, and Riverhorse did a better job on Terminator Genisys than the movie did (not nearly enough chrome metal kill-bots!), so it could certainly be worse if it is just a cash-grab tie-in.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Glorious Nation of U.S.S.A!

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/pacific-rim-uprising?ref=hp

Initial reviews of the movie are coming in and it doesn't look promising. I hope that this won't be history repeating itself for Alessio as with Terminator when a poorly received movie sunk an otherwise good game (from what I heard both online and in person) in the long run.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/20 22:51:33


 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





 warboss wrote:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/pacific-rim-uprising?ref=hp

Initial reviews of the movie are coming in and it doesn't look promising. I hope that this won't be history repeating itself for Alessio as with Terminator when a poorly received movie sunk an otherwise good game (from what I heard both online and in person) in the long run.


Thanks for the link. You probably saved me from an expensive cringe-fest. Boyega already spoiled Star Wars for me but to be fair a lot of his fellow cast members were not up to the task at hand.

Well, how does the Pacific Rim cast look like? It reminds me of Power Rangers and this is not a good thing. Seriously, a 15-year-old brat piloting a military vehicle? HELL, NO! The only bright side are the two crazy scientists who do their shenanigans for comedic relief. But is this enough to watch the movie? Nope.
   
Made in gb
Mighty Vampire Count






UK

 warboss wrote:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/pacific-rim-uprising?ref=hp

Initial reviews of the movie are coming in and it doesn't look promising. I hope that this won't be history repeating itself for Alessio as with Terminator when a poorly received movie sunk an otherwise good game (from what I heard both online and in person) in the long run.


The "Critics" said Last Jedi was a fantastic film - IMO they lied and/or were influenced to lie.

Make your own mind up I say But yes a film doing badly will influence its sales.

I enjoyed the first film but probably going to give this KS a pass as backed 6 this month already and its not standing out enough.

I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.

   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

It's difficult for a young kaiju on the cusp of daikaiju-hood to connect with an emotionally cold robot, and the movie needs to convey that. It's the director's fault for not casting Laurie Metcalf.

   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





 Hellfury wrote:
Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.


You beat me to it!

Kaiju/Super-Robot movies are probably never going to get great reviews/universal acclaim - they just need to be fun.

Insidious Intriguer 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Glorious Nation of U.S.S.A!

 Hellfury wrote:
Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.


No one said that metacritic is the only, best, or even recommended way to judge any movie.. it's simply an easy way to get a quick wide snap shot of opinions. The best way to judge a movie is to see it yourself because each judgement is simply an opinion rather than a statement of fact and vary from person to person. Even reviews from a biased review industry that gives certain protected groups a pass based on their genetic characteristics and/or politics gets things completely different compared to the general viewing public (see the Last Jedi mentioned above). But, as an easy quick way to get a wide snapshot, the link I posted will also have a user score as well when the movie is actually released. Until then, it's probably not best to get your skinny jeans in a bunch and trigger a hipster tizzy just because someone posted a link to a single url that presents a wide variety of opinions in a handy format.

Also, there is absolutely nothing about a "kaiju" movie or any other subgenre that specifically excludes having good writing and acting nor does good writing or acting somehow take away from what makes a "kaiju" movie actually "kaiju". I don't expect Oscar caliber writing or acting as a baseline but I do expect a minimum average quality writing and acting in any professional studio made movie I'm paying money to see. I don't believe that is a high standard to have either.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Los Angeles

 warboss wrote:


Also, there is absolutely nothing about a "kaiju" movie or any other subgenre that specifically excludes having good writing and acting nor does good writing or acting somehow take away from what makes a "kaiju" movie actually "kaiju". I don't expect Oscar caliber writing or acting as a baseline but I do expect a minimum average quality writing and acting in any professional studio made movie I'm paying money to see. I don't believe that is a high standard to have either.


Thank you. I came in to say something similar but you eloquently beat me to it.

The first movie was pretty crap too, from a writing/acting stand point. The action was great, but there were plot holes big enough to skip a Jaeger through. And the "emotional" elements were cliche' and felt forced to me. I mean, don't get me wrong, the movie sold me the moment I saw Gypsy Danger smack a Kaiju with a tanker ship, but there were entire stretches of the film where I was bored, rolling my eyes and waiting for the next monster fight. And the rewatchability is limited. I just can't sit through the whole movie because of how bad it is in places.

   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

 warboss wrote:
 Hellfury wrote:
Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.


No one said that metacritic is the only, best, or even recommended way to judge any movie.. it's simply an easy way to get a quick wide snap shot of opinions. The best way to judge a movie is to see it yourself because each judgement is simply an opinion rather than a statement of fact and vary from person to person. Even reviews from a biased review industry that gives certain protected groups a pass based on their genetic characteristics and/or politics gets things completely different compared to the general viewing public (see the Last Jedi mentioned above). But, as an easy quick way to get a wide snapshot, the link I posted will also have a user score as well when the movie is actually released. Until then, it's probably not best to get your skinny jeans in a bunch and trigger a hipster tizzy just because someone posted a link to a single url that presents a wide variety of opinions in a handy format.


Sadly, my skinny jeans aren't triggered into a hipster tizzy over the url itself. I agree that an aggravate is easy and handy.

I was actually being critical of some of the critics comments made on meta critic by people who clearly don't know what to expect from a kaiju flick.

But then again, the basic reading comprehension that a second grader possesses would have revealed that.

Your defense mechanism makes me look fat in these skinny jeans.

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





The trick to critics is to find the ones whose opinions you share and not really care about a general consensus. It's also generally a good idea to real the whole criticism over a score or summary.

I haven't heard from my absolute favorite critics on this one yet, but my second tier hasn't been particularly kind to the film and their reasons lead me to believe that won't change when I hear from the rest. It sounds like there's too much plot that's not particularly interesting and too many characters that don't really go anywhere in the plot. That's the trouble with action films; even if the plot isn't the point, it can still make the film miserable if you spend a considerable time with it.
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Just give me quips at the appropriate times and most will be forgiven.

   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





 Hellfury wrote:
Spoiler:
 warboss wrote:
 Hellfury wrote:
Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.


No one said that metacritic is the only, best, or even recommended way to judge any movie.. it's simply an easy way to get a quick wide snap shot of opinions. The best way to judge a movie is to see it yourself because each judgement is simply an opinion rather than a statement of fact and vary from person to person. Even reviews from a biased review industry that gives certain protected groups a pass based on their genetic characteristics and/or politics gets things completely different compared to the general viewing public (see the Last Jedi mentioned above). But, as an easy quick way to get a wide snapshot, the link I posted will also have a user score as well when the movie is actually released. Until then, it's probably not best to get your skinny jeans in a bunch and trigger a hipster tizzy just because someone posted a link to a single url that presents a wide variety of opinions in a handy format.


Sadly, my skinny jeans aren't triggered into a hipster tizzy over the url itself. I agree that an aggravate is easy and handy.

I was actually being critical of some of the critics comments made on meta critic by people who clearly don't know what to expect from a kaiju flick.

But then again, the basic reading comprehension that a second grader possesses would have revealed that.

Your defense mechanism makes me look fat in these skinny jeans.


You just out-InquisitorBob'd BobtheInquisitor - well done!

I think fans of the first movie, and Kaiju movie fans in general, will enjoy this movie.

I was glad when a sequel was announced, because I didn't think the first movie performed well enough to warrant another one, so I'm glad that it did, but I won't be expecting another one.

Insidious Intriguer 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




So far in in at the earlybird. That may change though. The geek and sundry videos (per usual) are pretty horrible. Doesent give me anything really besides seeing it uses special dice and a stupid looking movement tool. (Creators must play a lot of FFG games..)

The idea as a whole is cool, the figures are cool and I enjoyed the first movie for what it was. No interest in the second movie and without getting to actually watch people play the game and learn it, my pledge may be dropping soon.

   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ah, what the hell. Just bought a ticket for Thursday to watch it. I can still act like Ebenezer Scrooge on other days of the year. If the movie really sucks, then I can bitch about it later on in this thread.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Bristol

and a stupid looking movement tool


Here's the reason behind the movement tool and no hex grid:

Hex Gauge
This tool is used for manoeuvering the Jaegers and Kaiju around the battlefield. Using this tool offers great flexibility in how and where the huge machines and monsters can move. We developed this tool, rather than using a hex grid, for two main reasons:

1) Flexibility: using the tool means the Jaegers and Kaiju aren’t always locked into a grid relative to each other. This means they can move, approach, and then ‘snap’ together into combat from any direction. It also allows us to better represent the different mechanical and biological motions of the Jaegers and Kaiju.

2) Freedom of play space: Using the hex tool means that Pacific Rim: Extinction can be played on any surface, whether it be kitchen table, poster mat, or custom crafted game table! There is no need for a specific hex grid, so the Jaegers and Kaiju can clash anywhere!


Also the Gipsy Avenger has been reposed to look more dynamic as a result of backer feedback.
[Thumb - Gip1.jpg]

[Thumb - Gip2.jpg]

[Thumb - Gip3.jpg]

[Thumb - Gip4.jpg]

[Thumb - Gip5.jpg]

   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

 Mysterio wrote:
 Hellfury wrote:
Spoiler:
 warboss wrote:
 Hellfury wrote:
Re: the film.

The ratings look pretty good if you read the comments.

The low ratings seem to be from critics who have no clue what a kaiju movie is.

"It doesn't inspire me emotionally."

Really?!? Gee, I was hoping a giant robot movie kicking major monster ass to be a tour de force of Oscar caliber writing/acting that would send me emotional insipration to sing Michael McDonald songs.

I mean, I could be a gak movie. But going by metacritic may not be the best course of action to judge a kaiju movie. Maybe listen to reviewers who like kaiju films and could add context to their critique? Just a thought.


No one said that metacritic is the only, best, or even recommended way to judge any movie.. it's simply an easy way to get a quick wide snap shot of opinions. The best way to judge a movie is to see it yourself because each judgement is simply an opinion rather than a statement of fact and vary from person to person. Even reviews from a biased review industry that gives certain protected groups a pass based on their genetic characteristics and/or politics gets things completely different compared to the general viewing public (see the Last Jedi mentioned above). But, as an easy quick way to get a wide snapshot, the link I posted will also have a user score as well when the movie is actually released. Until then, it's probably not best to get your skinny jeans in a bunch and trigger a hipster tizzy just because someone posted a link to a single url that presents a wide variety of opinions in a handy format.


Sadly, my skinny jeans aren't triggered into a hipster tizzy over the url itself. I agree that an aggravate is easy and handy.

I was actually being critical of some of the critics comments made on meta critic by people who clearly don't know what to expect from a kaiju flick.

But then again, the basic reading comprehension that a second grader possesses would have revealed that.

Your defense mechanism makes me look fat in these skinny jeans.


You just out-InquisitorBob'd BobtheInquisitor - well done!

I think fans of the first movie, and Kaiju movie fans in general, will enjoy this movie.

I was glad when a sequel was announced, because I didn't think the first movie performed well enough to warrant another one, so I'm glad that it did, but I won't be expecting another one.


I would like an explanation of what you mean by that.

   
Made in ca
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

I think he means that it only turned about $100m domestically, and $300m worldwide on a ~200m budget.

   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





Yea, I definitely didn't think it 'made enough' to get a sequel made, but, here we are!

I'll just be happy with having another mainstream Kaiju/Robot movie to watch!

Insidious Intriguer 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Armpit of NY

Looking like rough going ahead for this Kickstarter. Yeah, they made their funding goal, but while most Kickstarters have a mid campaign slowdown, this one has lost money 3 days in a row now, and backers 4 days in a row according to Kicktraq
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1428582690/pacific-rim-extinction/#chart-daily

I might have been interested in something that was prepainted and not Trek/Wing. But I was lukewarm on the property at best, and after seeing the game in action and how the campaign has been run (unlocking stretch goal stuff you can pay more for! Yeah!), it is a definite hard pass. I don't see the game making even a tiny ripple in the gaming pool before sinking into oblivion.
   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





Maybe they could eventually send someone back in time to...


...nah, too implausible.

Shame here, really. Had high hopes for this one, and for the movie too.

Of course, I'll still go see the movie.

Insidious Intriguer 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Glorious Nation of U.S.S.A!

Judging from the kicktraq link posted above (thanks, totalfailure!), they've lost over 20 backers today but gained over $20,000 in funding with the introduction of a big money "all in" pledge. Hopefully that works out for them.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Armpit of NY

It seemed to me it was going up before they even announced the details of the all in pledge. I wonder if someone/someones was dumping personal cash into this to pump it up. Because despite the money raised going up, so far today 26 more people have dropped out. Fifth day in a row of net backer loss. That’s not going to sustain a community for a game no matter how much money it raises.
   
Made in ca
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

So I watched PR:E and was maybe disappointed by it. Good use of Mr. Trolololo though. It's not that it was bad, but it lacked something the first movie had.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: