Switch Theme:

Silver Templar’s - is it enough already  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ie
Regular Dakkanaut




I don't think the rules are any harm, and as folks have said, I think it's just a way of keeping Silver Templars available to anybody who built them.

That said, I got Conquest, and while the Silver Templar subgoodies were nice, the number of decals etc were limited and their paint scheme/lore struck me as especially bland, I'm not sure how likely it is anybody went to the rounds of building a whole force of them anyway?
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





I've got an ultima founding chapter so I'm really eager to read this WD so I can get more info on how pure Primaris chapters orginize

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

Likewise. My interest in the Silver Templars is less on the gameplay (seriously, is that all this is about? Something that was probably someone's pet passion project as a Conquest exclusive, not the dedicated time and focus of the entire 40k division), and more on the "so how do all Primaris Chapters work, what kind of organisation and structure do they have, how common are their relics, their resources, their background".

I'm much more interested in their lore than any gameplay material.

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Likewise. My interest in the Silver Templars is less on the gameplay (seriously, is that all this is about? Something that was probably someone's pet passion project as a Conquest exclusive, not the dedicated time and focus of the entire 40k division), and more on the "so how do all Primaris Chapters work, what kind of organisation and structure do they have, how common are their relics, their resources, their background".

I'm much more interested in their lore than any gameplay material.


I agree the fact that people are blowing a gasket over rules is silly. WD is the LAST place I want to see rules that are more then a curiosity, I'd be willing to bet money that the silver templars rules are just a preview of some generic stuff from the new codex anyway, just like blood ravens.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





If it’s a way of allowing people to keep thier silver Templar’s alive because they bought conquest and invested in holding the army, is WD the place to put that. I mean behind a pay wall? You already paid several times over.

I just don’t think it’s very good customer service, Warhammer community would have been better place for it. And white dwarf, as a paid for item, should have something new in it.

I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but at times like this it’s an opportunity for GW to give something back. I also can’t see the rules in the app yet.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





mrFickle wrote:
If it’s a way of allowing people to keep thier silver Templar’s alive because they bought conquest and invested in holding the army, is WD the place to put that. I mean behind a pay wall? You already paid several times over.

I just don’t think it’s very good customer service, Warhammer community would have been better place for it. And white dwarf, as a paid for item, should have something new in it.

I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but at times like this it’s an opportunity for GW to give something back. I also can’t see the rules in the app yet.


You realise that is less asinine then GW selling what ammounts to a balance patch each year...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




mrFickle wrote:
I mean behind a pay wall? You already paid several times over.


Isn't that GW's business model in a nutshell?
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

mrFickle wrote:
If it’s a way of allowing people to keep thier silver Templar’s alive because they bought conquest and invested in holding the army, is WD the place to put that. I mean behind a pay wall? You already paid several times over.

You know that Conquest wasn't available in North America, right?

I just don’t think it’s very good customer service, Warhammer community would have been better place for it. And white dwarf, as a paid for item, should have something new in it.

I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but at times like this it’s an opportunity for GW to give something back. I also can’t see the rules in the app yet.

If you think that White Dwarf is a "paywall", that's on you. This is wider availability not exclusive to a subscription model.

Anyone can pick up White Dwarf.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Oh noes! My army's theme is so poor that if I don't have a special rule telling me that they're Silver Templars, how ever will I know who they are? Woe is me!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Removed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/08 00:29:25


 
   
Made in us
Chaos Space Marine dedicated to Slaanesh





It's Marine Fatigue. At this point I'm reasonably sure it's less about how much Marines got in that article and just that Marines are still getting anything after everything else they got in Indomitus and will be getting in SM Codex 3.0. You could release an entirely underpowered special character for the Ball Fondlers, a chapter appearing in an obscure 40K video game that crashed and burned harder than a Stormlemur attempting to carry Your Mom, and it'd still irk people for reasons I can't entirely blame them for; it just comes across as tone-deaf.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




Not Online!!! wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
If it’s a way of allowing people to keep thier silver Templar’s alive because they bought conquest and invested in holding the army, is WD the place to put that. I mean behind a pay wall? You already paid several times over.

I just don’t think it’s very good customer service, Warhammer community would have been better place for it. And white dwarf, as a paid for item, should have something new in it.

I know it’s not the biggest issue in the world but at times like this it’s an opportunity for GW to give something back. I also can’t see the rules in the app yet.


You realise that is less asinine then GW selling what ammounts to a balance patch each year...

Ding ding ding we have a winner, and that's why you say no to buying GW's printed material!

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I just hope these rules are based off of the upcoming Codex, and not the current one.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I just hope these rules are based off of the upcoming Codex, and not the current one.

GW just made a bunch of books that aren't gonna be compatible with 9th, sooooooooo...

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





I'm not 100% on the coherency rules admittedly but the way I see it, these Silver Templars have the most OP strategy of any army.

Their Targetted Volly allows them to select the models who are removed when wounded rather than the controlling player. You have a unit of lets say 30 Termagants spread out in a line but in coherency, and I kill 3 in shooting. I could effectively remove the middle ones, make the unit fall out of coherency and be forced to keep removing models until back into coherence (which would theoretically be half the unit.)

It's the same dick move that Stormcasts can do in AOS

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sorry, where are the Silver Templar rules?

   
Made in us
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine



Ottawa

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Sorry, where are the Silver Templar rules?


There were some in the Conquest mini-dex. All I can remember were two stratagems - one that allowed a Silver Templar character to select an enemy character and reroll all failed to hit rolls against the targeted character, and another that triggered when firing stalker bolt rifles from an Intercessor squad - the Silver Templars player could allocate the wounds on the target instead.
   
Made in us
Chaos Space Marine dedicated to Slaanesh





Sumilidon wrote:
I'm not 100% on the coherency rules admittedly but the way I see it, these Silver Templars have the most OP strategy of any army.

Their Targetted Volly allows them to select the models who are removed when wounded rather than the controlling player. You have a unit of lets say 30 Termagants spread out in a line but in coherency, and I kill 3 in shooting. I could effectively remove the middle ones, make the unit fall out of coherency and be forced to keep removing models until back into coherence (which would theoretically be half the unit.)

It's the same dick move that Stormcasts can do in AOS



Really?

That'd be obnoxious if you knew about it; it's an utterly atrocious gotcha-from-nowhere ability to have buried in the back of a goddamn White Dwarf!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Lemondish wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Sorry, where are the Silver Templar rules?


There were some in the Conquest mini-dex. All I can remember were two stratagems - one that allowed a Silver Templar character to select an enemy character and reroll all failed to hit rolls against the targeted character, and another that triggered when firing stalker bolt rifles from an Intercessor squad - the Silver Templars player could allocate the wounds on the target instead.


Okay, Stalker Bolt Rifles Only makes that less utterly OMGWTF, but it's still a really dickish strat.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/08 04:59:33


 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 CEO Kasen wrote:
It's Marine Fatigue. At this point I'm reasonably sure it's less about how much Marines got in that article and just that Marines are still getting anything after everything else they got in Indomitus and will be getting in SM Codex 3.0. You could release an entirely underpowered special character for the Ball Fondlers, a chapter appearing in an obscure 40K video game that crashed and burned harder than a Stormlemur attempting to carry Your Mom, and it'd still irk people for reasons I can't entirely blame them for; it just comes across as tone-deaf.


Its the same issue as whether BA/DA/SW count as "Marines" or not, just even more subtle. "Marines" have gotten quite a bit if you roll them all together. They've gotten very very little if you separate out BA/DA/SW as well as DW, and Primaris vs FirstBorn. If you look, you'll find an overwhelming percentage of the new "Marine" releases are Primaris and fill gaps in their army list for people doing Primaris Only - which GW hyped - or for the people who believe old marines are getting squatted somewhere between soon and not too far off.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Yeah, I believe BA/DA/SW each come out of 8th with 2 Primaris characters (one Lt, one SC) and an upgrade sprue, in terms of releases specifically for them.

That's still better than some other factions - Tyranids, for example - but not a huge amount.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

 Dysartes wrote:
Yeah, I believe BA/DA/SW each come out of 8th with 2 Primaris characters (one Lt, one SC) and an upgrade sprue, in terms of releases specifically for them.

That's still better than some other factions - Tyranids, for example - but not a huge amount.


While that may be true, rules buffs were applied to Astartes (eg Shock Assault), which benefited Space Marines as a whole, regardless of their armour colour. It's also the case Space Marine models are usable (to a greater or lesser extent) by most if not all the Chapters, whereas Necron stuff, for example, is useless to me as a Drukhari player.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/09/08 09:11:21


Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in gb
Instigating Incubi




The dark behind the eyes.

Breton wrote:
 CEO Kasen wrote:
It's Marine Fatigue. At this point I'm reasonably sure it's less about how much Marines got in that article and just that Marines are still getting anything after everything else they got in Indomitus and will be getting in SM Codex 3.0. You could release an entirely underpowered special character for the Ball Fondlers, a chapter appearing in an obscure 40K video game that crashed and burned harder than a Stormlemur attempting to carry Your Mom, and it'd still irk people for reasons I can't entirely blame them for; it just comes across as tone-deaf.


Its the same issue as whether BA/DA/SW count as "Marines" or not, just even more subtle. "Marines" have gotten quite a bit if you roll them all together. They've gotten very very little if you separate out BA/DA/SW as well as DW, and Primaris vs FirstBorn. If you look, you'll find an overwhelming percentage of the new "Marine" releases are Primaris and fill gaps in their army list for people doing Primaris Only - which GW hyped - or for the people who believe old marines are getting squatted somewhere between soon and not too far off.


The thing is, whilst some of the Marine subfactions might not have gotten as much as standard Marines, I think you'll still struggle to get much sympathy from xeno players simply because of how many units those subfactions already have.

For example, in the Space Wolf HQ section alone, I count 35 options (just going by Battlescribe). Over 40 if you count Legends.

That's more options than exist in the entire DE codex.

The basic Wolf Lord has access to:
- Jump Pack
- Terminator Armour
- Phobos Armour
- Gravis Armour
- Thunderwolf

- Chainsword
- Frost Axe
- Frost Sword
- Lightning Claw
- Power Axe
- Power Fist
- Power Maul
- Power Sword
- Thunder Hammer
- Wolf Claw (single)
- Wolf Claw (pair)
- Master-Crafted Power Sword (Gravis Armour only)
- Bolterstorm Gauntlet (Gravis Armour only)
- Master-Crafted Instigator Bolt Carbine (Phobos Armour only)
- Chainfist (Terminator Armour only)
- Relic Blade (Terminator Armour only)

- Master-Crafted Botgun
- Bolt Pistol
- Plasma Pistol
- Combi-Flamer
- Combi-Melta
- Combi-Plasma
- Storm Bolter

- Storm Shield (Terminator and Thunderwolf only)


The basic DE Archon (currently the only generic HQ choice available for Kabal) has access to:
- Venom Blade
- Huskblade
- Agoniser
- Power Sword

- Splinter Pistol
- Blast Pistol

If you include Legends, then he gets all of 2 more options (Blaster and Phantasm Grenade launcher).


To be clear, I'm not trying to be harsh towards SW players or anything. I just think it's perhaps easy to forget how much the SM subfactions have compared to many other factions in the game.

Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.
 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"



 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





@vipoid, weren't you the one that had the number of releases / faction in one thread?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

Not Online!!! wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

Yeah I know.
I'm questioning the relevance of this chapter in the 40k universe.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in gb
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




 harlokin wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
Yeah, I believe BA/DA/SW each come out of 8th with 2 Primaris characters (one Lt, one SC) and an upgrade sprue, in terms of releases specifically for them.

That's still better than some other factions - Tyranids, for example - but not a huge amount.


While that may be true, rules buffs were applied to Astartes (eg Shock Assault), which benefited Space Marines as a whole, regardless of their armour colour. It's also the case Space Marine models are usable (to a greater or lesser extent) by most if not all the Chapters, whereas Necron stuff, for example, is useless to me as a Drukhari player.


Depends how much of a connection/pride the marine player has to their chapter/fluff I guess, they might want to stick with their respective fluff chapters rules as a point of pride/passion. On a plus side your Drukhari also works as a Ynnari army, which whilst not amazing rules wise is at least a different flavour.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 wuestenfux wrote:
Who are those Silver Templars?
GW's enthusiasm about SM finds no end.


Article?

Yeah I know.
I'm questioning the relevance of this chapter in the 40k universe.


They were a "make the conquest subscribers feel special" chapter they added as part of that release program. The fuss in WD will just be as a means to wider distribute their content.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/08 09:31:34


 
   
Made in gb
Instigating Incubi




The dark behind the eyes.

Not Online!!! wrote:
@vipoid, weren't you the one that had the number of releases / faction in one thread?


No.


Are you thinking of Darkness Eternal, maybe?

He's the chap who has the same icon as me.

Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.
 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"



 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 vipoid wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
@vipoid, weren't you the one that had the number of releases / faction in one thread?


No.


Are you thinking of Darkness Eternal, maybe?

He's the chap who has the same icon as me.


Dunno that list still was amazing considering that all Of Chaos got was 2/3 rds of sm in the Same timeframe.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Instigating Incubi




The dark behind the eyes.

Not Online!!! wrote:
 vipoid wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
@vipoid, weren't you the one that had the number of releases / faction in one thread?


No.


Are you thinking of Darkness Eternal, maybe?

He's the chap who has the same icon as me.


Dunno that list still was amazing considering that all Of Chaos got was 2/3 rds of sm in the Same timeframe.


Oh, I think I know which list you're referring to.

Yeah, it was definitely something of an eye-opener.

(Still wasn't me who posted it, I'm afraid, otherwise I'd be happy to post it again for you here.)

Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.
 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"



 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: