Switch Theme:

Déjà-vu. Or what WHFB bloodknights have in common with Heavy intercessors.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Jackal90 wrote:
The blood knights really weren't a heavy priced one.
New plastic kit, larger models and nearly half the price that they were.

Some things are beyond a joke though.
Still think it was around the "goldswords" era that it started going mad.


He doesn't mean the new plastic blood knights, I think it was referencing the old pewter blood knights which came out brand new very expensive then they went to finecast and jumped up even more in cost. I'm sure the new plastic blood knights feel amazing by comparison.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Jackal90 wrote:
The blood knights really weren't a heavy priced one.
New plastic kit, larger models and nearly half the price that they were.

Some things are beyond a joke though.
Still think it was around the "goldswords" era that it started going mad.


He doesn't mean the new plastic blood knights, I think it was referencing the old pewter blood knights which came out brand new very expensive then they went to finecast and jumped up even more in cost. I'm sure the new plastic blood knights feel amazing by comparison.


This, also, sure as a "Special" classification you didn't need or even couldn't really field all that many of them. But when 10 of these cost you in essence 4 x as plastic marauder horsemen, which were an awesome kit and still are btw... yeah.. there's a problem there then.

Also a better exemple indeed would've been the DE infantry already brought up or the goldhänders...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




GW prices are strange anyway. IG 10 man box costs as much as it does, when it gets the new sprue for heads and weapons, it will probably cost more. All nice, up until you get told that the same box once had 20 dudes.

I think someone told me that other non marine armies had boxs like that too, I just don't know which factions.

if GW suddenly gets the idea to remake GK termintors and starts puting them in stores, as a paladin/termintor box with 3 models inside, at the cost of the 5 man box we have right now. I don't think people are going to be happy, just because the heads of the models are updated and the box comes with 2 force staffs instead of 1 per box.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 AngryAngel80 wrote:
If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.


Am waiting for the upgraded guard to hit my FLG's. need em to modify the lasguns into R&H grenadiers and potentially makeing a squad or so of Melee Vets..
But it's certainly the last box of em i need.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.


Am waiting for the upgraded guard to hit my FLG's. need em to modify the lasguns into R&H grenadiers and potentially makeing a squad or so of Melee Vets..
But it's certainly the last box of em i need.


Well maybe they will surprise me and the cost will stay the same ?.....


hahahahahahaha...yeah right.
   
Made in nl
Regular Dakkanaut






 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.


Am waiting for the upgraded guard to hit my FLG's. need em to modify the lasguns into R&H grenadiers and potentially makeing a squad or so of Melee Vets..
But it's certainly the last box of em i need.


Well maybe they will surprise me and the cost will stay the same ?.....


hahahahahahaha...yeah right.


They might but they will probably be monopose, and some of the poses will be very specific. So it'll look horrible when you try to field an actual infantry force made up of them.

   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





I think he meant that Gw will increase the price for the additional sprue, for the 18 + years old cadians.
Not talking about potentially new Guardsmen.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




 A Town Called Malus wrote:
Witch Elves stood out to me as a particularly horrendous example from the end of WHFB. Sure £35 for 10 models doesn't look too bad for GW pricing, until you realise that in order for them to be useful on the table in 8th edition you needed 30-40 of them at the minimum. £105-£140 for a Core, not special or rare, unit was quite the price tag.


Also that they aren't even 10 unique sculpts. It was 2 5 woman sprues doubled.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in gb
Assassin with Black Lotus Poison





Bristol

ERJAK wrote:
 A Town Called Malus wrote:
Witch Elves stood out to me as a particularly horrendous example from the end of WHFB. Sure £35 for 10 models doesn't look too bad for GW pricing, until you realise that in order for them to be useful on the table in 8th edition you needed 30-40 of them at the minimum. £105-£140 for a Core, not special or rare, unit was quite the price tag.


Also that they aren't even 10 unique sculpts. It was 2 5 woman sprues doubled.


And a regiment of 30 women in acrobatic poses looks pretty silly. If they had just had them captured in a pose that implied running, it would have been fine. Instead they are all leaping off random bits of masonry. That kind of posing works in skirmish units like wardancers but not block regiment units like Witch Elves.

The Laws of Thermodynamics:
1) You cannot win. 2) You cannot break even. 3) You cannot stop playing the game.

Colonel Flagg wrote:You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me.
 
   
Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought




The dark hollows of Kentucky

 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.


Am waiting for the upgraded guard to hit my FLG's. need em to modify the lasguns into R&H grenadiers and potentially makeing a squad or so of Melee Vets..
But it's certainly the last box of em i need.


Well maybe they will surprise me and the cost will stay the same ?.....


hahahahahahaha...yeah right.

Maybe they'll sell the upgrade kit separately. A similar kit for other factions would be great. An upgrade kit for CSM with 3 chaincannons and an assortment of other weapons would sell like hotcakes. They probably aren't that smart though.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






I have given up trying to make sense of GW pricing. They will have prices that are entirely reasonable or even a bargain (considering the quality) hit the floor right next to models pushing the bar for absurdity.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page


I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history. 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 A Town Called Malus wrote:
ERJAK wrote:
 A Town Called Malus wrote:
Witch Elves stood out to me as a particularly horrendous example from the end of WHFB. Sure £35 for 10 models doesn't look too bad for GW pricing, until you realise that in order for them to be useful on the table in 8th edition you needed 30-40 of them at the minimum. £105-£140 for a Core, not special or rare, unit was quite the price tag.


Also that they aren't even 10 unique sculpts. It was 2 5 woman sprues doubled.


And a regiment of 30 women in acrobatic poses looks pretty silly. If they had just had them captured in a pose that implied running, it would have been fine. Instead they are all leaping off random bits of masonry. That kind of posing works in skirmish units like wardancers but not block regiment units like Witch Elves.


honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Assassin with Black Lotus Poison





Bristol

Not Online!!! wrote:

honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.


That did cross my mind, when I went and double checked their price.

The Laws of Thermodynamics:
1) You cannot win. 2) You cannot break even. 3) You cannot stop playing the game.

Colonel Flagg wrote:You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Gadzilla666 wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
If they up the Guard box a bunch I don't know who will be buying it, it's already crazy expensive for 10 guardsmen. It goes up much more it'll be competing with intercessors for cost and I'm sorry but even if you hate marines, 10 primaris marines are a much better purchase than 10 guard for near the same price. Both in terms of value for money but in how many you'd need just to field a good army.

Though I guess then they'd make the heavy Ints look like a good buy ? The flayed ones will stay looking like a total rip off however.


Am waiting for the upgraded guard to hit my FLG's. need em to modify the lasguns into R&H grenadiers and potentially makeing a squad or so of Melee Vets..
But it's certainly the last box of em i need.


Well maybe they will surprise me and the cost will stay the same ?.....


hahahahahahaha...yeah right.

Maybe they'll sell the upgrade kit separately. A similar kit for other factions would be great. An upgrade kit for CSM with 3 chaincannons and an assortment of other weapons would sell like hotcakes. They probably aren't that smart though.


I really wish they would sell the upgrade sprue seperate, I'll buy a few if so and they aren't insanely expensive. At this stage in knowing GW I can't assume they will be sane they just go all over the board their policy on releases is kind of all over the crazy scale, price wise.
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Not Online!!! 798542 11136374 wrote:
honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.


But this means GW were gigantic donkey-caves makes people buy end times books and invest in to WFB, while knowing real well that they are going to cancel the game very soon. The whole time void between the last edition of WFB and AoS was what 2 months?

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Karol wrote:
Not Online!!! 798542 11136374 wrote:
honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.


But this means GW were gigantic donkey-caves makes people buy end times books and invest in to WFB, while knowing real well that they are going to cancel the game very soon. The whole time void between the last edition of WFB and AoS was what 2 months?


it's GW. GW has done worse things.
And GW plans in advance, end times and a lot of endtime release models were carried over.

And initially the end times were liked until people realised that GW would indeed blow up the old world...
Well that and some rather wierd balancing.... *looks at nagash.

Otoh there's all those Khemrian constructs that just... vanished for no reason at all... sadly.



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:


I really wish they would sell the upgrade sprue seperate, I'll buy a few if so and they aren't insanely expensive. At this stage in knowing GW I can't assume they will be sane they just go all over the board their policy on releases is kind of all over the crazy scale, price wise.


honestly, i fully expect GW to demand another 5 CHF for the additional sprue in the cadians.
Which is a shame really, because they could've added that sprue like 5 years ago but no.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/01 09:13:19


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Karol wrote:
Not Online!!! 798542 11136374 wrote:
honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.


But this means GW were gigantic donkey-caves makes people buy end times books and invest in to WFB, while knowing real well that they are going to cancel the game very soon. The whole time void between the last edition of WFB and AoS was what 2 months?


It is weird it's almost like the end times was set up to build up, make excitement, stir up sales and smash peoples armies apart.

They knew exactly what they were doing, they wanted to sell books, and push old models then punch people in the ball sack. Everyone knew it would be a story line shift, no one expected what they did do and it pissed off a fair few people when it happened. If I played some of the armies that were straight squatted I'd have been livid. As is, I never went to AoS, never will probably and just wait to see if the new Fantasy reboot is workable with my guys or play other fantasy based systems with them or old WHFB editions.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Karol wrote:
Not Online!!! 798542 11136374 wrote:
honestly, i feel like wytch elves were future proofed for AoS, which happens to be a skirmish game.


But this means GW were gigantic donkey-caves makes people buy end times books and invest in to WFB, while knowing real well that they are going to cancel the game very soon. The whole time void between the last edition of WFB and AoS was what 2 months?


it's GW. GW has done worse things.
And GW plans in advance, end times and a lot of endtime release models were carried over.

And initially the end times were liked until people realised that GW would indeed blow up the old world...
Well that and some rather wierd balancing.... *looks at nagash.

Otoh there's all those Khemrian constructs that just... vanished for no reason at all... sadly.



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:


I really wish they would sell the upgrade sprue seperate, I'll buy a few if so and they aren't insanely expensive. At this stage in knowing GW I can't assume they will be sane they just go all over the board their policy on releases is kind of all over the crazy scale, price wise.


honestly, i fully expect GW to demand another 5 CHF for the additional sprue in the cadians.
Which is a shame really, because they could've added that sprue like 5 years ago but no.


Looking at the cost for them, in USD, if they cost them much higher who the heck is going to buy them ? The sprue is nice and I'd buy it alone but for most guard players, they have extra guys and would love more options. For the cost increase they will most likely do it it, no way. Who is going to buy enough troop boxes to even make an army for guard at those costs ?

As I had said, they'd be about the same price as a troop box for primaris marines, or even first born marines for that matter. Both would give more bang for the buck than 10 guardsmen and they'd be able to make actual viable armies of much fewer boxes. Who would want to spend primaris level cash on models so old just for an upgrade sprue at that point ? If they leave the cost the same ( super duper doubtful ) that would be great but they won't. If they sell the sprue on its own, people will buy them for sure. I don't know how many ancient troop boxes it'll sell raising the cost up however.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/02 10:20:54


 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Angry Angel, i was wrong, they will demand seemingly 6.5£ more for the upgrade sprue, so the price for me will probably increase around 10-15 CHF because GW magic exchange rates...


 Nerbil wrote:


No prices for Dominion distributed this morning.

Concerning.


And all that for a bunch of heads and some special weapons on a kit that can go drink with me.

Edit: sigh, at this stage why even bother with IoM cadian shock troops, when you can just buy the brood brothers box which will also give you an aditional HWT

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/08 09:31:02


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm just sitting here waiting to see what crazy cost they jack the price up to in USD and if they will sell the sprue on its own for a reasonable cost.

If it jacks up much higher as you say and I said, what is the point then ? Get people all hyped for it just to cost it into the ground.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 AngryAngel80 wrote:
I'm just sitting here waiting to see what crazy cost they jack the price up to in USD and if they will sell the sprue on its own for a reasonable cost.

If it jacks up much higher as you say and I said, what is the point then ? Get people all hyped for it just to cost it into the ground.

Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Ship's Officer





Bristol (UK)

They have, and still do, sell upgrade sprues. Some of those sprues are even distributed within kits as well.
So it's possible.

I don't think it's likely, I would expect those to have been shown on the leaked prices if they did exist.
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Not Online!!! 798542 11143479 wrote:
Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.


In 8th ed they made and sold upgrade sprues for all the primaris chapters. If I remember correct people really wanted to get the salamander ones, because it had a thunder hammer. I think the store I go to still has the white scars blisters with the upgrades, alongside the limited edition sob with bolter.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
I'm just sitting here waiting to see what crazy cost they jack the price up to in USD and if they will sell the sprue on its own for a reasonable cost.

If it jacks up much higher as you say and I said, what is the point then ? Get people all hyped for it just to cost it into the ground.

Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.


They do sell some of them last I looked, like the deathwatch upgrade sprue for instance. If they will do it for this ? That could go either way, I am hoping they do because they'd maybe see some peoples hands then as not many are going to spend $45 USD for 10 guard just for it, that really is terrible sucky for costing.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Karol wrote:
Not Online!!! 798542 11143479 wrote:
Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.


In 8th ed they made and sold upgrade sprues for all the primaris chapters. If I remember correct people really wanted to get the salamander ones, because it had a thunder hammer. I think the store I go to still has the white scars blisters with the upgrades, alongside the limited edition sob with bolter.


Yeah, except those separate sprues tend to be either Marines or Chaos marines....



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 AngryAngel80 wrote:
I'm just sitting here waiting to see what crazy cost they jack the price up to in USD and if they will sell the sprue on its own for a reasonable cost.

If it jacks up much higher as you say and I said, what is the point then ? Get people all hyped for it just to cost it into the ground.

Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.


They do sell some of them last I looked, like the deathwatch upgrade sprue for instance. If they will do it for this ? That could go either way, I am hoping they do because they'd maybe see some peoples hands then as not many are going to spend $45 USD for 10 guard just for it, that really is terrible sucky for costing.


45 $... I still think that's not going to happen with the separate sprue, if only because GW tends to only really do that nowadays for the specific chapters of SM and CSM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/09 08:00:04


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in fi
Ye Lord of The End Times (and a good guy)





Good moving goal posts. "Since when...?" "yeah but that doesn't count"

2021 painted/bought: 538/575 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





tneva82 wrote:
Good moving goal posts. "Since when...?" "yeah but that doesn't count"


Have you something productive to state or not.
the fact remains that most sprues sold separately were marines and chaos marines upgrade sprues.
Special weapons bits service died long ago aswell.
So excuse me again, but since when does GW intend to sell upgrade sprues for non marines separately, because as of right now i am not aware of non FW ones.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

There's also the Genestealer Cults Upgrade Frame and the Tzaangor Upgrade Pack.

Which upgrade packs are not available separately?
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Not Online!!! wrote:
Karol wrote:
Not Online!!! 798542 11143479 wrote:
Since when does GW sell sprues seperately? They did curb stuff like that long ago, so i think we look at a gak out of luck situation for guard players that wanted to get some of them.


In 8th ed they made and sold upgrade sprues for all the primaris chapters. If I remember correct people really wanted to get the salamander ones, because it had a thunder hammer. I think the store I go to still has the white scars blisters with the upgrades, alongside the limited edition sob with bolter.


Yeah, except those separate sprues tend to be either Marines or Chaos marines....


I am not following your line of thought.GW makes upgrade sprues for model lines that are popular, need it and will sell. What kind of an upgrade sprue would you want for something like necrons? The SoB model line is build in a such a way to entice people buying extra boxs to make specific non grunt level units, so giving an upgrade sprue would make no sense, as it is already build in to the SoB troops and heavy boxs.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





tneva82 wrote:
Good moving goal posts. "Since when...?" "yeah but that doesn't count"


I don't really think it's a moving goal post, heck I am here wishing they would sell it on its own but I really don't think they will. I hope though that I am wrong and they surprise me, so far with this release they have not surprised me.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: