Switch Theme:

Vocabulary of 40K: are you pronouncing wrong?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




Lee-man Russ is how its pronounced in Audiobooks.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Stephen1974 wrote:
Lee-man Russ is how its pronounced in Audiobooks.



Seriously? Is he hanging out with He-Man?

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in fr
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





Watch Fortress Excalibris

Racerguy180 wrote:
But then he should've been the shortest Primarch, right???

Napoleon was of average height for his time. As with many historical figures, lots of the things "everyone knows" about him are not actually true.

“By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward.” - Mikhail Bakunin

If your response to "Nazis are bad!" is "No, no! It's BLM and Antifa and Sigmarxism that are the real problem!" then you are the real problem. 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




Voss wrote:
Stephen1974 wrote:
Lee-man Russ is how its pronounced in Audiobooks.



Seriously? Is he hanging out with He-Man?


Nope, i've moved on to Ram Maam.
   
Made in us
Terminator with Assault Cannon




San Jose, CA

 Duskweaver wrote:
Racerguy180 wrote:
But then he should've been the shortest Primarch, right???

Napoleon was of average height for his time. As with many historical figures, lots of the things "everyone knows" about him are not actually true.


So if he's average height for 18-19th century France, 5'6" so him and Tom Cruise are same, so short.p
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

 spiralingcadaver wrote:
 Sim-Life wrote:
Theres no official way to pronounce Tzeentch because Tzeentch is ever-changing.

For what its worth, common pronunciation around here is "zeen-ch"


People do realize the tz sound is, like, in any number of non-European languages, right? Like, this is like saying "I pronounce onion 'unnun' because why would nio go together? It's magic change magic."


Thank you.

This was really bothering me. How can anyone see “Tz” and think “They probably don’t mean that sound present in scores of languages and many English words stolen from said languages. Must be a ‘Z’ or an ‘S’”?

   
Made in gb
Enginseer with a Wrench





Northumberland

You gotta watch out for those chittiness (chitinous) hordes of Tyranids plaguing the galaxy instead of "kytinous" ones.




One and a half feet in the hobby


My Adeptus Mechanicus Painting Log:
# The Explorator Fleet of Labrunnia IX #

 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Gathering the Informations.

Kas-Er-Kin

That's how it is pronounced per the Eye of Terror book where it was literally spelled and sounded out for you.

I've heard it Kase-R-Ken, Kase-R-Kyne, and a couple other ways that were just mindboggling to me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/17 21:50:11


 
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Les Etats Unis

 Olthannon wrote:
You gotta watch out for those chittiness (chitinous) hordes of Tyranids plaguing the galaxy instead of "kytinous" ones.





Wait, isn't it literally pronounced "kytinous" though?

Dudeface wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Is there another game where players consistently blame each other for the failings of the creator?

If you want to get existential, life for some.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

It is, but it's not a word you hear very often out loud, so the assumption is that the "ch" is pronounced like how you'd think it should be normally (like in cheese!).

I didn't know until I heard it said outside of a 40k context that it is ky-tin, and not chih-tin.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/18 01:25:16


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Chitin is up there with ichor and scimitar for things D&D and Warhammer players just get wrong.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in nl
Brainy Zoanthrope




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
It is, but it's not a word you hear very often out loud, so the assumption is that the "ch" is pronounced like how you'd think it should be normally (like in cheese!).

I didn't know until I heard it said outside of a 40k context that it is ky-tin, and not chih-tin.



......

You know what, screw it. I'm going to forget I read this through sheer force of will.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Voss wrote:
Chitin is up there with ichor and scimitar for things D&D and Warhammer players just get wrong.


I used to say skim-it-ar when I was a kid

Also psyker was a really hard one to figure out without someone telling us. We weren’t that familiar with words starting with a silent p so I think one of my freinds used to say puh-sick-er


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Out of interest in American publications of 40K do they, for example, change Axe to Ax and so on? Or do you have to live with the U.K. English spelling of everything?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/18 08:04:22


 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







mrFickle wrote:
Out of interest in American publications of 40K do they, for example, change Axe to Ax and so on? Or do you have to live with the U.K. English spelling of everything?


I believe you meant to say "the correct spelling" there...

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




Southampton, UK

Yeah, I've not had too much trouble (to my knowledge!) with Warhammer stuff, but I have definitely suffered at the hands of reading unfamiliar words without ever hearing them...

As a young teen back in the day, reading a lot of Tom Clancy - for some reason I decided that 'fatigue' as in military battledress uniform had a different pronunciation than 'fatigue' as in tiredness. And that that pronunciation sounded like 'fatty-gay'. No, I don't know why. But damn it, it burrowed in deep. I still have to mentally correct myself now.
   
Made in fr
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





Watch Fortress Excalibris

Crispy78 wrote:
No, I don't know why.

English-speaking militaries do have a habit of adopting French terms but pronouncing them... eccentrically. 'Reveille' ('revally') is the most obvious example. As 'fatigues' was also, originally, a French word, it wouldn't actually be that strange if US and UK soldiers called them 'fatty-gays'.

“By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward.” - Mikhail Bakunin

If your response to "Nazis are bad!" is "No, no! It's BLM and Antifa and Sigmarxism that are the real problem!" then you are the real problem. 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






Ottawa, ON

 Duskweaver wrote:
I pronounce Roboute Guilliman as if it's a French name. Because I always imagine him as this guy.


Out of curiosity, what would the French pronunciation be?

Ask yourself: have you rated a gallery image today? 
   
Made in es
[DCM]
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor






your mind

Joubert Guillome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/18 21:12:10


   
Made in us
Terminator with Assault Cannon




San Jose, CA

 jeff white wrote:
Joubert Guillome.


So Benson???
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Crispy78 wrote:
Yeah, I've not had too much trouble (to my knowledge!) with Warhammer stuff, but I have definitely suffered at the hands of reading unfamiliar words without ever hearing them...

As a young teen back in the day, reading a lot of Tom Clancy - for some reason I decided that 'fatigue' as in military battledress uniform had a different pronunciation than 'fatigue' as in tiredness. And that that pronunciation sounded like 'fatty-gay'. No, I don't know why. But damn it, it burrowed in deep. I still have to mentally correct myself now.


I always used to real hyperbole as hyper-bowl like it was some sort of sport
   
Made in gb
Frenzied Berserker Terminator




Southampton, UK

Oh yeah, me too!
   
Made in gb
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant





Liverpool, England

I say Cust-o-dees and Ast-ar-tees but I am also guilty of saying Arr-bites.
For characters I've always said Abba-dun and Robe-oot-ay Gill-im-man with a rolling R and vaguely ambiguous Mediterranean accent.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: