Switch Theme:

Hunger and Slake and Lightning Claws  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Bounding Ultramarine Assault Trooper





I've got a question about Hunger and Slake, Tyberos, the Red Wake's( Some important figure in the Space Sharks) Power-chain-fist hybrids. Do the hooked blades on the end retract into the gauntlet? Do normal Lightning claws have this ability?
Thanks!

I didn't choose the Astartes life, the Astartes life chose me.
Blog: http://tiny.cc/sirblog
Youtube: http://tiny.cc/siryt
Instagram: http://tiny.cc/sirgram
 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

It's hard to tell from the model, but I've never heard of lightning claws retracting so I'm pretty sure they don't, and I don't think Hunger and Slake do either.

Edit: The only time I think I've seen a reference to Lightning Claws retracting is in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, I think the Imperial Guard commander has lightning claws that retract, but his are quite small and slender with a relatively large housing for them to retract into, so I think his are an exception.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2015/01/16 05:53:13


 
   
Made in se
Glorious Lord of Chaos






Almost literally in the Phantom Zone.

They can also retract in Deathwatch.

Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-!@# comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That is why we need feminism, and why I am not simply egalitarian. 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 Ashiraya wrote:
They can also retract in Deathwatch.


The RPG? Nice. I imagine that's because in an RPG you do things other than just fight, so you might require use of your hands? Where as the ttg and most of the fiction just has fighting...

I mean, logically they should retract but there's not much evidence of them actually doing so.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran




Snake Mountain

As mentioned 40k RPG Lightning claws retract, I also believe one of the older Codices mentioned this also however as far as I'm aware these days they still cannot retract.

Also I can't really tell that well from his model but it doesn't look like Tyberos's weapons can retract, thats just my 0.02 USD though.

'I'm like a man with a fork, in a world of soup.'

Check out my Blog: http://rysaerinc.wordpress.com/ - Updated 26/01/2015

3DS Friend Code: Rysaer - 5129-0913-0659 
   
Made in us
Crazed Spirit of the Defiler






In the Night Lords books it describes one of the terminators retracting his lightning claws repeatedly. I would say Tyberos would leave Hunger and Slake at the ready to kill at a moments notice.

"Because the Wolves kill cleanly, and we do not. They also kill quickly, and we have never done that, either. They fight, they win, and they stalk back to their ships with their tails held high. If they were ever ordered to destroy another Legion, they would do it by hurling warrior against warrior, seeking to grind their enemies down with the admirable delusions of the 'noble savage'. If we were ever ordered to assault another Legion, we would virus bomb their recruitment worlds; slaughter their serfs and slaves; poison their gene-seed repositories and spend the next dozen decades watching them die slow, humiliating deaths. Night after night, raid after raid, we'd overwhelm stragglers from their fleets and bleach their skulls to hang from our armour, until none remained. But that isn't the quick execution the Emperor needs, is it? The Wolves go for the throat. We go for the eyes. Then the tongue. Then the hands. Then the feet. Then we skin the crippled remains, and offer it up as an example to any still bearing witness. The Wolves were warriors before they became soldiers. We were murderers first, last, and always!" —Jago Sevatarion

DR:80SGMB--I--Pw40k01#-D++++A+/fWD-R++T(T)DM+
 
   
Made in gb
Courageous Space Marine Captain






Glasgow, Scotland

I seem to remember in Fulgrim that Horus extends the claws on his Talon, suggesting that at least the Heresy era, finger-tip claws can retract. I also believe that Corax retracted his claws in First Heretic? Which are knuckle mounted (the same weapons Shrike in 40k uses).

I'm celebrating 7 years on Dakka Dakka!

DR:90+S++G+++M+B+IPw40k08#-D+++A+++/cwd363R+++T(Ot)DM+
Check out my Deathwatch story, Aftermath in the fiction section!

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!
 
   
Made in us
Ancient Venerable Dreadnought





The Beach

 ImAGeek wrote:
 Ashiraya wrote:
They can also retract in Deathwatch.


The RPG? Nice. I imagine that's because in an RPG you do things other than just fight, so you might require use of your hands? Where as the ttg and most of the fiction just has fighting...
Wait, you do other things than fight in Deathwatch? Well, I guess there's the down time while you travel to the next location you plan to kill things at. And occasionally talking to people about the things you're supposed to be killing.

I mean, logically they should retract but there's not much evidence of them actually doing so.
Logically? Any kind of retractable mechanism is going to be inherently less stable than a fixed system.

Logically you shouldn't be wearing giant claws attached to the back of your hand if you plan to be doing delicate work, lol.

Marneus Calgar is referred to as "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible. If the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: Tutorial, Posing, Conversions and other madness. The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy

 
   
Made in gb
Mysterious Techpriest




United Kingdom

In a few of the HH novels Iron Hands terminators (Gabriel Santar and his Morlocks) have retractable claws (so they can use guns as well).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2015/01/16 16:39:45


 
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






in the Chapter's due the two main RG characters have retractible claws in their gauntlets, not on their hands I think.

Also I think it was the same in Shadow Captain.

413th Lucius Exterminaton Legion- 4,000pts

Kaptin KlawJaw's FreeBootahz!-1,500pts

The Royal Court of BlüdGrave- 2,000pts

 
   
Made in us
Ancient Venerable Dark Angels Dreadnought





Wrist mounted lightning claws can retract. Those mounted on the digits can't for obvious reasons.

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
 
   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Fort Benning, Georgia

Looking at the Chaos Lightning Claws, I doubt very highly that they retract. Those are literally talons where fingers are usually found. Space Marine ones at least look like they potentially could.

But I think Games Workshop invented something that looks like a cool weapon, only later to realize it made no practical sense and invented a way out of it by pretending like they meant for them to be retractable all along.
   
Made in be
Three Color Minimum





Fulgrim,page 389:

'Julius smiled and turned to Gabriel Santar, lightning sheathed claws sliding from the gauntlets of his Terminator armour.'

 casvalremdeikun wrote:
 grendel083 wrote:
I don't think they'll FAQ a White Dwarf...
Perhaps not, but since GW seems to subsist off sadness and pain, I can't rule it out.


 H.B.M.C. wrote:
GW's never found an opportunity they couldn't miss

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



Orlando

In the fluff there have been chaos terminators able to retract and extend their claws. I remember one story of Abbadon on his command ship visited by Cypher and Cypher does something that pisses off one of Ab's terminator bodyguard who extends his lightning claws and steps forward, and Cypher casually shoots him in the chest with his plasma pistol and keeps talking to Ab.

So yes they can extend and retract, otherwise they would be almost useless on the battle field, not to mention even unpowered while riding in a bouncing transport would slice up the interior of the transport.

Infantrymen do not die, they go to heaven and regroup. 
   
Made in de
Lesser Daemon of Chaos





There are many marks of different stuff around, so i don't think it would be too far fetched to have both. Certain "uber" lightning class that are impractical for anything but slicing people. Advantage: propably longer reach. And the more practical sliding claws, that are shorter because they have to retract.
Just as you can disable a powerfist i'm certain you can also disable lightning claws, so that accidentally cutting with nonretracting claws is not such a big deal. It's still impractical obviously, but less dangerous...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2015/01/16 22:27:20



40k - IW: 3.2k; IG: 2.7k; Nids: 2.5k; FB - WoC: 5k; FB-DE: 5k 
   
Made in us
Bounding Ultramarine Assault Trooper





Thanks for the answers! I took another look and decided, no Tyberos's claws can't retract. They have a little hook/barb/point near the end, so they aren't straight like normal lightning claws. Anyway, Tyberos's melee weapons are kinda silly. You can't make a fist without cutting your fingers off on the chainsword part.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2015/01/17 01:06:53


I didn't choose the Astartes life, the Astartes life chose me.
Blog: http://tiny.cc/sirblog
Youtube: http://tiny.cc/siryt
Instagram: http://tiny.cc/sirgram
 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

Tyberos' weapons are silly, but they're some of the coolest melee weapons in the game. He delivers the most painful slap/high five of anyone in the galaxy!
   
Made in gb
Courageous Space Marine Captain






Glasgow, Scotland

 ImAGeek wrote:
Tyberos' weapons are silly, but they're some of the coolest melee weapons in the game. He delivers the most painful slap/high five of anyone in the galaxy!


Not really? Lightning claws are effectively punch-daggers, and his are barbed so they do more damage. His digits are not that maneuverable but even so, making a fist won't chop them off, he sinply deactivates the chain bits. And when needed to slice throw vehicles or heavy armour, he grabs them with his hands and the blades chew through. They combined 2 weapons into 1 thus meaning he has more versatility and range of targets. I fail to see how such things are silly.

I'm celebrating 7 years on Dakka Dakka!

DR:90+S++G+++M+B+IPw40k08#-D+++A+++/cwd363R+++T(Ot)DM+
Check out my Deathwatch story, Aftermath in the fiction section!

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!
 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

They're silly because of the way it's layed out? He literally can't do anything with his hands other than damage/destroy things. I know he's fighting but I'm sure you'd need use of your hands for something during a battle...
   
Made in us
Crazed Spirit of the Defiler






If The Red Wake's not killing, it's only because he is moving towards his next target!

"Because the Wolves kill cleanly, and we do not. They also kill quickly, and we have never done that, either. They fight, they win, and they stalk back to their ships with their tails held high. If they were ever ordered to destroy another Legion, they would do it by hurling warrior against warrior, seeking to grind their enemies down with the admirable delusions of the 'noble savage'. If we were ever ordered to assault another Legion, we would virus bomb their recruitment worlds; slaughter their serfs and slaves; poison their gene-seed repositories and spend the next dozen decades watching them die slow, humiliating deaths. Night after night, raid after raid, we'd overwhelm stragglers from their fleets and bleach their skulls to hang from our armour, until none remained. But that isn't the quick execution the Emperor needs, is it? The Wolves go for the throat. We go for the eyes. Then the tongue. Then the hands. Then the feet. Then we skin the crippled remains, and offer it up as an example to any still bearing witness. The Wolves were warriors before they became soldiers. We were murderers first, last, and always!" —Jago Sevatarion

DR:80SGMB--I--Pw40k01#-D++++A+/fWD-R++T(T)DM+
 
   
Made in gb
Courageous Space Marine Captain






Glasgow, Scotland

 ImAGeek wrote:
They're silly because of the way it's layed out? He literally can't do anything with his hands other than damage/destroy things. I know he's fighting but I'm sure you'd need use of your hands for something during a battle...


Um...no. Terminators aren't hacking systems or attending Diplomatic meetings with paperwork. Terminators smash stuff to smithereens. Even more so the Carcharodons. Tyberos has 1 goal, and that's kill the enemy very dead. And if he needs to text someone he gets someone else to do it. And like I said, he's perfectly capable of deavtivating the chainblades. Its not like they are whirring 24/7.

I'm celebrating 7 years on Dakka Dakka!

DR:90+S++G+++M+B+IPw40k08#-D+++A+++/cwd363R+++T(Ot)DM+
Check out my Deathwatch story, Aftermath in the fiction section!

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!
 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

I guess. I still maintain that in any combat situation you're probably at some point going to need to use your hands, but I didn't even think about deactivating the chainfist part of it.
   
Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought






AL

 Deadshot wrote:
Its not like they are whirring 24/7.


Or are they?

Gods? There are no gods. Merely existences, obstacles to overcome.

"And what if I told you the Wolves tried to bring a Legion to heel once before? What if that Legion sent Russ and his dogs running, too ashamed to write down their defeat in Imperial archives?" - ADB 
   
Made in us
Crazed Spirit of the Defiler






If Papa Smurf can get along with two power fists, than Tyberos should do just fine.

"Because the Wolves kill cleanly, and we do not. They also kill quickly, and we have never done that, either. They fight, they win, and they stalk back to their ships with their tails held high. If they were ever ordered to destroy another Legion, they would do it by hurling warrior against warrior, seeking to grind their enemies down with the admirable delusions of the 'noble savage'. If we were ever ordered to assault another Legion, we would virus bomb their recruitment worlds; slaughter their serfs and slaves; poison their gene-seed repositories and spend the next dozen decades watching them die slow, humiliating deaths. Night after night, raid after raid, we'd overwhelm stragglers from their fleets and bleach their skulls to hang from our armour, until none remained. But that isn't the quick execution the Emperor needs, is it? The Wolves go for the throat. We go for the eyes. Then the tongue. Then the hands. Then the feet. Then we skin the crippled remains, and offer it up as an example to any still bearing witness. The Wolves were warriors before they became soldiers. We were murderers first, last, and always!" —Jago Sevatarion

DR:80SGMB--I--Pw40k01#-D++++A+/fWD-R++T(T)DM+
 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

Yeah but then power fists are just big hands, you still have all movable fingers with nothing in the way, and with the power field down they're just big gloves. Hunger and Slake, even with the chain blades off, they're still there in the way. You wouldn't be able to grip anything with them for example, which you might need to - to stop yourself falling or something.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Lost Wages, Nevada

If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.



I do agree though, his weapons are a bit silly. In an awesome murder everything kind of way.

   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest




CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.



I do agree though, his weapons are a bit silly. In an awesome murder everything kind of way.


Ha! Epic quote!
   
Made in gb
Hallowed Canoness





Between

Of course they retract! If they didn't retract, he wouldn't be able to lean in menacingly and say, "Any other problems, bub?" before holding them up to make a snickt sound.



"That time I only loaded the cannon with powder. Next time, I will fill it with jewels and diamonds and they will cut you to shrebbons!" - Nogbad the Bad. 
   
Made in us
Huge Hierodule




Maryland

I've always imagined that newer Mk. Lightning Claws were capable of retracting. I've always thought that it was one of the "advancements" made between the old Heresy-era fingernails and the more current ones.

Hydra Dominatus: My Alpha Legion Blog

Liber Daemonicum: My Daemons of Chaos Blog


Alpharius wrote:Darth Bob's is borderline psychotic and probably means... something...

 
   
Made in gb
Courageous Space Marine Captain






Glasgow, Scotland

 ImAGeek wrote:
Yeah but then power fists are just big hands, you still have all movable fingers with nothing in the way, and with the power field down they're just big gloves. Hunger and Slake, even with the chain blades off, they're still there in the way. You wouldn't be able to grip anything with them for example, which you might need to - to stop yourself falling or something.


Having the model in front of me, I really doubt they would hinder your ability to manipulate things anymore than usual, considering the size of the hands comared to anything he'd be holding. Regardless of any of that, you really don't seem to understand the Carcharodons. If Tyberos and his lot are deployed to a warzone, its either because there is no one else for hundreds of lightyears, or because they need the Carcharodons' expertise. Either way, deploying them means that the Imperium want the enemy very very dead, very very quickly, messily and absolutely. The Carcharadons Astra land on your front door, say "Knock Knock Motherf***er!" (In pseudo-space Latin of course) before beating the loving gak clean out of you and your whole army and all your stuff. They fly into a blind rage (shown in rules by giving Carchardons Rage immediately after killing any enemy in CC, way back on 5th where Rage sent you running after the nearest enemy). There is no quarter given, no mercy, none asked. And Tyberos is right in the heart of it, with his fists right in the heart of you and going full on apegak. He's not wasting time picking up guns and swords, or shaking hands with IG Generals at meetings, (not that he'd lower himself to that level either), he's killing things very dead, and afterwards he grabs his boys and his dead and gear and gets out and goes home to kill more gak before his evening supper. He's not interested is using his hands for anything more thay killing. Remember, this is the Chapter Master of the chapter that took the title of "Most Brutal combat style" away from the Minotaurs (who are rumoured to be made of World Eater Geneseed) when they entered the Badab War, which ended shortly after they started killing things. This is the chapter who's rules are better for a Khorne Marine army than Khorne Marines. This is the chapter who do not give a flying feth how impractical their weapons are for anything other than killing, as long as they are dead killy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2015/01/18 00:37:57


I'm celebrating 7 years on Dakka Dakka!

DR:90+S++G+++M+B+IPw40k08#-D+++A+++/cwd363R+++T(Ot)DM+
Check out my Deathwatch story, Aftermath in the fiction section!

Credit to Castiel for banner. Thanks Cas!
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: