Switch Theme:

Is the BLOB-STAR good for the game?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Is the BLOB-STAR good for the game?
Yes
No
BLOBBY G for life

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





In 8th edition becuase of the aura effect, everyone (Just like AOS) seems to plop a their army in a huge disgusting blob on one side of the table facing another huge disgusting blob that is the other army.

The "BLOB-STAR" is just damn ugly and it looks rather stupid.

How many times have you seen and used BLOBBY G?

So far both of their premier games are all about BLOBBING.

Is the BLOB-STAR the future of ALL GW wargaming?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/12/26 15:39:58


 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






It's a design feature I dislike (it's up there with re-rolling). However, I'll take it over the mess that 7th produced all day, every day.

I believe auras are far too present, and they seem to be designed individually without looking at the codex as a whole and determining how they interact.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/26 15:31:36


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I agree aura-hammer creates a lazyness not seen before in deployment and tactics.
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

Putting it bluntly the only one I really feel is problematic is Guilliman. His stuff applied to everything Ultramarines rather than just those with Ultramarines Chapter Tactics(which was in and of itself another issue since CT only applied to limited things).
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos





Pancakey wrote:
The "BLOB-STAR" is just damn ugly and it looks rather stupid.


To clarify, your argument against it is purely aesthetic?

I like the synergy and combos that it brings to the game.

I would also argue blob construction is tactical in its own way, just like anything else.

Let me know if you sell your stuff though, I might be interested.
   
Made in us
Potent Possessed Daemonvessel





I do wish that the aura abilities were more a unit within x can do y. Instead of all units, it just makes for a bit more balance. If the abilities were akin to IG orders for instance.
   
Made in fi
Fixture of Dakka





Luckily hh avoids that. Only game gw has now that has anything resembling decent game

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

8100 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I only play with fully painted terrain and models. The epic look of a 10,000 point fully painted game is one of the major reasons why I play tabletop wargames.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
tneva82 wrote:
Luckily hh avoids that. Only game gw has now that has anything resembling decent game


We do play HH as well and the constrast is stark!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/26 15:51:49


 
   
Made in us
Liberated Grot Land Raida




tneva82 wrote:
Luckily hh avoids that. Only game gw has now that has anything resembling decent game


Yeah you never see big gunline blobs around a huge unkillable aura-buffer primarch character in Horus Heresy.

neeeeeeeeever see that.

   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






I didn't vote because I really don't think it's a problem considering the worst offender of blob star (Guilliman) is actually part of the weakest army in the game and even with ultimate blobstar power still can't place highly in tournaments. however - if other armies had access to this style of play - it would be overwhelming to the point it would break the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/26 15:54:32


"We are eternal all this pain is an illusion"
-Tool 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

Breng77 wrote:
I do wish that the aura abilities were more a unit within x can do y. Instead of all units, it just makes for a bit more balance. If the abilities were akin to IG orders for instance.

Ehh...I'd go with the Tau abilities rather than Orders. Most Orders are extremely generic while Tau have some weapon specific stuff that is broader and affects more.
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User




I didn't vote either because I like aurahammer, but I wish the power level of the effects was inversely proportional to the radius. For example:

12" morale/leadership, re-roll
6" re-roll 1s to hit/wound
3" re-roll all hits/wounds, +1/-1 to hit/wound

I think conventions along those lines would solve most of the complaints.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/26 16:06:48


 
   
Made in gb
Warp-Screaming Noise Marine





Well 7th was guilty of 'castling' and that was worse imho. 'I nominate this corner of the table, come get me!'

GW said "Forge the Narrative". This means "we are too lazy to write a comprehensive and balanced rule set, just make something up to plug the gaps" - Ch 4, Page 13387 of the Lexicanus Bullshitticus Translatorum. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 NoiseMarine with Tinnitus wrote:
Well 7th was guilty of 'castling' and that was worse imho. 'I nominate this corner of the table, come get me!'


Castling felt like a strategy.

It seems everyone does the BLOB-STAR because you don't have a choice, this is HOW 8th ed works.
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos





Pancakey wrote:


Castling felt like a strategy.

It seems everyone does the BLOB-STAR because you don't have a choice, this is HOW 8th ed works.


I have to say I see a lot more castling in tournaments than the mythical blob-star. You know the tactics section often discusses what works under optimal circumstances right? You know that if you make your blob too big it basically doesn't work in tournament because you won't be able to move everything fast enough to finish in the time limit?

Yes, in theory, I could build a list that spam Horrors and just outnumbers you on objectives and cover the whole table.

You know how feasible that army is in tournament? Not at all. Ultimate fail, good luck placing in the top 50.

So yes, maybe at your local game store, the local jackhole shows up with 500 Horrors and claims "I have built the most annoying army in the world to play against!", and you know what? He's right. But he's not winning any tournaments, that's for sure.

Also, I love that castling seems like a strategy, but ranked and supported troop formations doesn't? Where's the line on this? Can you define for us what constitutes a strategy and what's just aesthetically displeasing to you?

"In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement in this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative."  
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Just talking about how everyone plays a giant blob now. This is my experience and I don't like the way it looks or the way it plays. Maybe you do. Thats great!

Also in regards to strategy if you don't have a choice and have to BLOB-STAR because of game mechanics like auras. Is it a strategy?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/26 16:36:15


 
   
Made in us
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot





Michigan

I agree that it's unsightly to look at. A way to stop this would be to re-introduce templates (at least the flamer) and/or to say units with this rule gain this ability instead of units within 3"

Necrons - 6000+
Eldar/DE/Harlequins- 6000+
Genestealer Cult - 2000
Currently enthralled by Blanchitsu and INQ28. 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






Is it unsightly to look at?



Perhaps you could call it "Codex Cover Hammer". So, my question would become: If you love HH and hate 8th...then go play HH or indeed keep playing 7th. No one is stopping you from doing so.

If 8th "crushed" your gaming group - sorry to hear it. I've experienced the opposite in two gaming groups I'm part of, with dozens of players actually coming back and digging up old armies. Oddly we all play plenty of "strategic" wargames. 40K is just for fun pushing around cool models and telling stories.

I'd argue if you think 7th ed. 40K is "tactical" or "strategic" in any way shape or form, you're missing out on a world of actual strategic wargames --- 40K is the kiddie pool of actual military wargames.

 
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos





Pancakey wrote:
Just talking about how everyone plays a giant blob now. This is my experience and I don't like the way it looks or the way it plays. Maybe you do. Thats great!

Also in regards to strategy if you don't have a choice and have to BLOB-STAR because of game mechanics like auras. Is it a strategy?


I could say the same thing about castling though, if you play an army that caters to gunline, most likely you're going to castle most of the time. At that point is it a strategy or is it the methodology demanded by the exigencies of your list?

Some lists will favor a blob or ranked deployment (nobody actually deploys as a random blob), others will favor castling, still others will favor minimizing troops on the table in favor of deep striking their most important aspects.

I would avoid viewing the 40k world through the lenses of the tactics forum, useful as input, not as worldview.

"In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement in this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative."  
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Blob-stars are not a problem if you play with maelstrom or other styles of progressive scoring. If you play Eternal War the game of course suffers a lot, and you will see the dreaded corner deploy a lot.

But even at its worst it is still a million times better than the invisible death-stars of 7th edition.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





So I play Eldar/Ynnari and almost never deploy in anything remotely approaching a blob. I may maximize my LoS blocking deployment on turn 1 but after that my army breaks apart into multiple pockets of effective units.
   
Made in us
Liberated Grot Land Raida




Pancakey wrote:
Just talking about how everyone plays a giant blob now.


Statement with no evidence. There are plenty of different list archetypes in the current competitive meta that do not involve circling around an aura character, it is one strategy among many.

Pancakey wrote:
This is my experience and I don't like the way it looks or the way it plays. Maybe you do. Thats great!


Anecdote, opinion. All I can agree with here is the fact that one competitive list archetype has changed from "tons of razorbacks with heavy bolters deployed in a parking lot" to "Tons of razorbacks with twin assault cannons deployed in a parking lot with guilliman". Yowza. What change. Very different.

Pancakey wrote:
Also in regards to strategy if you don't have a choice and have to BLOB-STAR because of game mechanics like auras. Is it a strategy?


I don't think this is even a sentence, let alone an argument. Nobody's forced to play around aura characters, you can leave them out of your army if you want to. For certain armies (Vanilla Marines, Admech) it is arguably the most optimal way to play, but nobody is actually coming to your house and jamming that awful plastic guilliman sculpt in your bag and screaming "REMEMBER, TWO THIN COATS!!!"
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






Eldar generally don't need blobs - their version of auras is predominantly spell-driven. Only a few armies are really based around auras.

 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

tneva82 wrote:
Luckily hh avoids that. Only game gw has now that has anything resembling decent game

You should give the Middle Earth game a whirl. Vastly superior rules to anything else in thier stable.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Elbows wrote:
Is it unsightly to look at?



Perhaps you could call it "Codex Cover Hammer". So, my question would become: If you love HH and hate 8th...then go play HH or indeed keep playing 7th. No one is stopping you from doing so.

If 8th "crushed" your gaming group - sorry to hear it. I've experienced the opposite in two gaming groups I'm part of, with dozens of players actually coming back and digging up old armies. Oddly we all play plenty of "strategic" wargames. 40K is just for fun pushing around cool models and telling stories.

I'd argue if you think 7th ed. 40K is "tactical" or "strategic" in any way shape or form, you're missing out on a world of actual strategic wargames --- 40K is the kiddie pool of actual military wargames.


I agree , but I would like a few inches of water in the kidde pool!
   
Made in gb
Warp-Screaming Noise Marine





 Elbows wrote:
Is it unsightly to look at?



Perhaps you could call it "Codex Cover Hammer". So, my question would become: If you love HH and hate 8th...then go play HH or indeed keep playing 7th. No one is stopping you from doing so.

If 8th "crushed" your gaming group - sorry to hear it. I've experienced the opposite in two gaming groups I'm part of, with dozens of players actually coming back and digging up old armies. Oddly we all play plenty of "strategic" wargames. 40K is just for fun pushing around cool models and telling stories.

I'd argue if you think 7th ed. 40K is "tactical" or "strategic" in any way shape or form, you're missing out on a world of actual strategic wargames --- 40K is the kiddie pool of actual military wargames.


Yep, see. All in one corner. Clearly castling

GW said "Forge the Narrative". This means "we are too lazy to write a comprehensive and balanced rule set, just make something up to plug the gaps" - Ch 4, Page 13387 of the Lexicanus Bullshitticus Translatorum. 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

Characters auras, and rules in general, are one of my top 3 complaints about 8th. I feel like they wanted to limit the prevalence of deathstars, but instead gave us deathblobs.

So, now we have armies with auras and army special rules that just stack and stack on each other, and it gets a bit ridiculous. I mean, using someone like abbadon to babysit a chaos gunline seems very anti-fluffy and boring. But it's effective.

I think command type auras would be a lot better off if they only affected one unit. And special characters like G-man would be able to affect 3, or D3, or something. But having a character sitting in the middle of a parking lot and giving like 10+ units rerolls is straight dumb.

So, yeah. Overlapping character auras is a big, dumb problem, that isn't getting better anytime soon. Hell, I'd prefer they bring back the old IC rules, and if they wanted to limit deathstars, maybe limit the amount of characters that can be attached to a unit. I think it would make the rules a lot simpler and more fair.

But, no one cares what I think - least of all geedubz.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




Put in more viable sniper units. By which I mean make something other than ratlings or sniper drones worth taking.
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle






Jacksonville, NC

Reminds me of Warmahordes in a way, which wouldn't be bad, except Warmahordes didn't exclusively use Auras for EVERYTHING.

I think limiting Auras would be fine, using them sparingly, and making the auras shorter range so they would apply to one to two units max. However, the character rules and all that can go to hell as well; IC's weren't broken, and I liked attaching characters to units.

Nurgle/CSM aficionado - Check out my P&M Blog! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/745328.page 
   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived




On moon miranda.

I don't mind auras in theory, but I don't like Characters being completely untargetable either, which I think contributes to some of the issues with such abilities. Some of the stacking and universal application is an issue as well, some abilities really do need to be restricted to work only on certain units or unit types, and some need to not be able to stack with other similar abilities.

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Heavy Gear Painting Log, Northern Guard, Southern Republican Army, and Terrain
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: