Switch Theme:

Conquest! The Last Argument of Kings! (Latest on pg23: Dweghom Batrep!)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





SeanDrake wrote:
In the UK in my area the game is sadly DOA after people saw the unit prices, a lot of people even cancelled there starters. Saying that the starter is reasonable value even if I personally only like one of the armies in it which is why I did not order it.

Going to watch and see if they do reasonably priced starters for the other factions might pickup the other human faction.


Price does seem high to me too, plus no one that I'm aware of is getting this at our club. Shame as the models look nice. Hopefully someone else gets it and starts the ball rolling.
   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Belgium

Models do indeed look nice, but not stellar as well. I didn't find their plastic sprues that high in quality. As for the prices...there's no need to be apologetic here. Their unit boxes are indeed GW levels of prices. They're expensive, this is the truth. Just because the starter is a good deal doesn't exonerate the rest. You know people will eventually have to take the units separately just for those they can't have in the starter box, like the spire archers.

TBH, the most annoying part is their scale. They're indeed bigger than the usual 28-32 mm, even on heroic scale. They're not easily compatible with other companies' work. Some terrain intended for this scale look quite indeed small in comparison, especially buildings. They're not really compatible with your existing collection, and it is better to make specific terrain for them at their scale.

Parabellum is not better than GW. They do try to make something work on long term, and that's good - but it's pretty clear they made their stuff "bigger" on purpose so that you have to buy their products to play and not find proxies easily elsewhere.

Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight





Nottingham

That's not true.

The first batch of models were 28mm. Theh were too fine and the decision was made to not have to compromise of the vision of the world by making stupidly thick spear shafts, swords and bows to compensate. Then the big hands to compensate for that.


PLOG: Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings

The source of my Conquest : Www.facebook.com/ParaBellumWarGames


The First Word of The Last Argument - My Youtube channel 
   
Made in us
Wraith






Milton, WI

I would love to get into Conquest.
The figures are great!

As far as I know, they've had this scale since early on.
I know when we saw it at Adepticon 2 years ago, the figures were the current scale, and they looked amazing.

The argument that they don't fit your existing collection is crap.
A game and its minis should hold up as their own thing. Fitting into your existing collection isn't their goal.

Here comes a game where you would want to use their IP minis to represent the races and cultures they've put in the work of creating. They want them this scale because they feel it presents them best.

Bam, said the lady!
DR:70S+GM++B+I+Pw40k09/f++D++A(WTF)/hWD153R+++T(S)DM++++
Dakka, what is good in life?
To crush other websites,
See their user posts driven before you,
And hear the lamentation of the newbs.
-Frazzled-10/22/09 
   
Made in ca
Been Around the Block





Any word on when it will get released in Canada? eagerly awaiting it to finally get here.
   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Belgium

 Davidian wrote:
That's not true.

The first batch of models were 28mm. Theh were too fine and the decision was made to not have to compromise of the vision of the world by making stupidly thick spear shafts, swords and bows to compensate. Then the big hands to compensate for that.



Given a lot of historical kits are in plastic and perfectly fine with normal scale weapons at 28 mm, that argument is really poor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/23 18:11:49


Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Central Cimmeria

 Sarouan wrote:
 Davidian wrote:
That's not true.

The first batch of models were 28mm. Theh were too fine and the decision was made to not have to compromise of the vision of the world by making stupidly thick spear shafts, swords and bows to compensate. Then the big hands to compensate for that.



Given a lot of historical kits are in plastic and perfectly fine with normal scale weapons at 28 mm, I will call it bs here.

They are still exaggerated at that scale, and personally, I break a lot of mine. I prefer the exaggerated weapons of Gripping Beast over the forever broken Warlord stuff, but I prefer bigger models with more realistic sized weapons even more.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

In a way the larger size is a clear commitment that they're making a game for their minis, and the game is their main focus

(as opposed to putting out minis which they realistically know will be co-opted into other games in most cases)

after all odd sized minis will have a limited appeal to some painters but probably not as much as 'normal' scale stuff, and is largely irrelevant to many other games

its a brave decision, and only time will tell if they get enough traction for it to pay off

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/23 19:25:52


 
   
Made in us
Speed Drybrushing





San Francisco, CA

 skrulnik wrote:
I would love to get into Conquest.
The figures are great!

...

The argument that they don't fit your existing collection is crap.
A game and its minis should hold up as their own thing. Fitting into your existing collection isn't their goal.

....


But selling models is their goal. Their bottom line.

And while I get your point, the game is a hard pass for me. Not into collecting other scales. I use my (embarrassingly large) 28-32mm scale figures for boardgames, tabletop wargames, RPGs... Someone comes along with a 40mm scale game, and I can't be bothered.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess I'm not alone either. Really seems like a missed opportunity as a lot of the figures look neat. The argument that 40mm vs. 30mm presents them best is, at best, some seriously flawed thinking

I play...

Sigh.

Who am I kidding? I only paint these days... 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

And some people won’t buy anything other than 6mm. So be it.

Another thing I have noticed over the years is that everyone thinks the scale they like best is God’s Own. Naturally, a 40k-centric forum will attract people who own a lot of whatever you want to call the scale GW has used, is using, and will use (despite the fact those aren’t the same thing at all). This uh, cloud of scales, is generally called 28mm although now that it’s more like 35mm it seems people are getting around to calling it 32mm.

ANYHOW I get that using these minis for something other than playing Conquest might be nice incidentally but it’s tough to imagine people actually paying for them with that as the primary intention. Put it another way, I simply don’t believe that anyone would totally buy into this but oh man too bad wrong scale.

   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Belgium

 Manchu wrote:

ANYHOW I get that using these minis for something other than playing Conquest might be nice incidentally but it’s tough to imagine people actually paying for them with that as the primary intention. Put it another way, I simply don’t believe that anyone would totally buy into this but oh man too bad wrong scale.


To be honest (and to me), it's also a kind of insurance that, in case of the game not working and Parabellum suddenly going out of business, you can still use the miniatures for something else. Once you have a scale that is not common on the market, it's much more difficult to recycle your models that way. I'm not even talking about selling them to someone else.

Truth is, market is saturated nowadays. I have seen lots of promising games fail in a miserable ways during the years, so that's why it's annoying me so much - I'm staying away from their humans because of that reason, others miniatures can still be used in some ways to me. I understand why other potential players are reluctant - most of the time, they are those who already have others miniatures/games at home.

Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in us
Inspiring Icon Bearer





Colorado Springs, CO

Finally got my starter set! Huzzah!

Adding up the points that are in the starter, you get 580 points of Hundred Kingdoms and between 560 and 595 points of Spire (since the Pheromancer has to take a Pheromancy at 15 to 50 points), all before upgrades. 600 points per side, no problem, straight out of the box.

Also, the Pheromancer's supremacy ability is NUTS! Imagine a big 'ol block of Force-Grown Drones with +2 resolve. You could easily get them to a resolve of 6. Tasty! They may not be able to fight their way out of a wet paper bag, but they aren't going anywhere!

If I've got a trade you're interested in but you don't have anything on my wanted list, just shoot me a PM and ask! I'm easily distracted!  
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

I tend to assume that all other-than-40k minis games are headed for the dustbin sooner rather than later. That’s “what History teaches us” anyway. So, at least for me, I factor that assumption into my decision to buy a game. I don’t need the components to be anymore interchangeable with those of other games than I do with, for example, board games. So again, while being able to use the minis for something else is a fine incidental benefit, I don’t believe it’s actually the crucial point in any coherent decision process.

A Pheromancer-enhanced block of Drones does indeed seem pretty awesome, although they certainly need a buff. Does anyone know what the command option in the expansion box does for them?

   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 Sarouan wrote:
 Manchu wrote:

ANYHOW I get that using these minis for something other than playing Conquest might be nice incidentally but it’s tough to imagine people actually paying for them with that as the primary intention. Put it another way, I simply don’t believe that anyone would totally buy into this but oh man too bad wrong scale.


To be honest (and to me), it's also a kind of insurance that, in case of the game not working and Parabellum suddenly going out of business, you can still use the miniatures for something else. Once you have a scale that is not common on the market, it's much more difficult to recycle your models that way. I'm not even talking about selling them to someone else.

Truth is, market is saturated nowadays. I have seen lots of promising games fail in a miserable ways during the years, so that's why it's annoying me so much - I'm staying away from their humans because of that reason, others miniatures can still be used in some ways to me. I understand why other potential players are reluctant - most of the time, they are those who already have others miniatures/games at home.


That just seems sensible to me. Something that's way too out there (or way too distinct- I'd never buy DC superheroes or harry potter minis) puts me off. If I can't incorporate the models into an RPG or something, a flavor of the month game has no pull.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight





Nottingham

 Manchu wrote:


A Pheromancer-enhanced block of Drones does indeed seem pretty awesome, although they certainly need a buff. Does anyone know what the command option in the expansion box does for them?


There is a pheromonic node which acts as leader and banner and a cathonic(spelling?) node which explodes once per game for 2D6 hits. The highest D6 is also applied to the drones.

PLOG: Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings

The source of my Conquest : Www.facebook.com/ParaBellumWarGames


The First Word of The Last Argument - My Youtube channel 
   
Made in ca
Mighty Kroxigor Ancient





California the Southern

At the very least the Spire units could probably sneak into other games in a variety of bad guy roles. Once the ogres, trolls, and other assorted monstrous folk start showing up I bet they could too.

Have we seen any Dwegom in any sort of scale shots with other Dwarf type models?

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight





Nottingham

From my local dealer;

Wave 2

"Hi guys, It looks like next month will be a bumper one for Conquest: Last Argument of Kings. Here is what is on my price list for release in August (Including my 20% discount!):

++HUNDRED KINGDOMS++
Theist Priest = £14.40
Chapter Mage = £14.40
Noble Lord = £14.40
Imperial Officer = £12.00
Steel Legion (3 stands) = £25.60

++SPIRE++
Biomancer = £14.40
Mimetic Assassin = £14.40
High Clone Executor = £14.40
Marksmen Clones = £25.60

Obviously I can get the already released bits as well at the following prices as well:

Starter Box = £60.00
Men-at-arms = £25.60
Mercenary Crossbowmen = £25.60
Household Knights = £30.00
Brute Drones = £30.00
Force-Grown Drones = £25.60
Abomination = £36.00"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/25 09:16:24


PLOG: Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings

The source of my Conquest : Www.facebook.com/ParaBellumWarGames


The First Word of The Last Argument - My Youtube channel 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Well I caved and ordered the two players starter set. Fingers crossed I can get some more interest out of my hobby group, and that it gets enough general attention to keep it going.
   
Made in ro
Fresh-Faced New User





Scale has been tending to creep up for quite a while now, as even GW is shifting towards true-scale, even before the new marines. I haven't compared the models side by side, but the Conquest minis seem to be about SW Legion sized, which is perfectly fine. As the design aesthetic of Warhammer fantasy (AoS) is starting to look like He-Man and Flash Gordon had a love child, I'm much more interested in Para-Bellum's setting.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User



Sheffield UK

Got my starter box. Really impresssed with the quality of the minis and the contents. Will start a plog once I get some time to start painting them

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

Yeah have to agree, getting the minis in person made me really fall for them.

   
Made in es
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey






I need a new game like I need a third eye... but that core looks mighty tempting.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

I am thinking of getting a third core ...

   
Made in us
Inspiring Icon Bearer





Colorado Springs, CO

Considering that everything in the starter is useful for both armies, another core never hurt nobody....

I just opened myself up to taking whatever side someone doesn't want in a box split at my local store. Hopefully I can generate some interest to try it out!

On a semi-related note, I'm actually enjoying these Spires models a lot more than I thought I would. I'm actually planning on picking up a couple of regiment boxes today. Definitley going to make one of them Force-Grown Drones, but for the other I can't decide between Household Knights or Men-at-Arms. These are the hard decisions, folks!

If I've got a trade you're interested in but you don't have anything on my wanted list, just shoot me a PM and ask! I'm easily distracted!  
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

That Knights banner tho!

   
Made in us
Inspiring Icon Bearer





Colorado Springs, CO

 Manchu wrote:
That Knights banner tho!


I know, right??!! It's a thing of beauty!

I think you've helped me make up my mind. You sure are useful, Manchu!

If I've got a trade you're interested in but you don't have anything on my wanted list, just shoot me a PM and ask! I'm easily distracted!  
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






Don't give him a big head!

 
   
Made in es
Fresh-Faced New User




Followed Conquest for some time now, and love the whole setting, artwork and general feel. It's all quite grim and brutal, just how I like it.

But the game itself is not super convincing (mostly due to myself not wanting to get into yet another mass battle system) and the models scale prevented me from throwing my money, for now (I tend to like compatibility accross different systems).

However, the lore and artwork are fantastic, so I was wondering... Will there be any printed book containing a mass amount of lore, art, world-building info, etc? More stuff besides the gaming aspect? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
   
Made in ca
Mighty Kroxigor Ancient





California the Southern

The scale is not that bad. I've been working on some Men At Arms. They're big and burly but not overtly gigantic, unless they're with LOTR, Frostgrave, or older models.

I'll put a scale shot up later if needed.

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in gb
Storm Trooper with Maglight





Nottingham

Dweghom confirmed for September along with steel legion, clone marksmen and all current 100k & spire characters
Pre orders at retailers will be available next week.

Stay tuned for more information over the coming weeks!

The DWEGHOM are coming...

https://www.para-bellum.com/conquest/dweghom/

“…during my descent, I heard something, same-blood. I heard the world spin. I heard Eä and I heard the war she wages with forces unseen. I heard history unfolding as the world turned and the Dweghom were not part of it. I heard the drums of War calling from above. I hear them still,” he went on, “louder than ever. How can you not? Thud-thud, they go, same-blood. Thud-thud, at the beating of my heart. They sound too loud for such a small Hold.” He raised his voice, deepened it to echo and it thundered, so that all the Clan gathered could hear him.
“I am Alekhaneros!” he said in his deep, loud voice, thumping his fist on his chest with passion. “Called Azdhaen, of Clan Dheubrodsûn! And I’d rather be a Thane remembered by a world, than a King of a Hold that all forget!” He looked upwards, like an angry, mad prophet, calling the world as witness.
“EÄ! MOAGHM DORH!”
He pulled his axe, grabbed it with both hands, eyes widened, lips snarling. Then, with a scream, he lowered it on the chain he had climbed.
Silence fell, as sparks sprouted from the metals clashing. Everyone held their breath, but for the Thane who panted. The metal left a sigh, heavy, broken, prolonged.
Then it cracked.
Clangs of giant chains breaking fell like thunder in the closed hall, cogs unseen rolled loudly. Screeching from years of immobility, the giant doorway opened. Light poured in the dusty, sealed upper floor of the Hold, pure unfiltered sunlight. An entire clan of Dweghom raised their hands to shield their eyes, grimacing with annoyance. Many hesitated.
“Dweghom!” called the Thane. “MARCH!”

PLOG: Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings

The source of my Conquest : Www.facebook.com/ParaBellumWarGames


The First Word of The Last Argument - My Youtube channel 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: