Switch Theme:

Warhammer The Old World ----- Square bases & AOS...!? Woooot in the eefffffff is goin on!?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






Announcement is up!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

 ImAGeek wrote:
Old World? New Warhammer!!
You’ll never believe what we’re working on. The Studio had to tell us twice.



Yeah. For really reals.

In the deepest dungeons of the Warhammer Studio, the counsel of the wise have convened, ancient forges have been re-lit and work has already begun. So far… we’ve made the logo.

Next up, everything else.

You get the idea – this is a long way off. Years. More than two. Like three or more. Definitely not soon.

Obviously, this is really exciting news for all of us, and just like with Sisters of Battle, we’ll keep you updated with more news as the project unfolds.

For those of you who don’t know, in 2015, Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles changed forever, in so far as Archaon destroyed the world. Classic Archaon.

Everything we knew of the Old World collapsed into a void of Chaos and infinite possibility. From that tumultuous storm came the Mortal Realms, heralding a new dawn of unending war in the Age of Sigmar.



Booooom!

From the reforged primordial soup and etheric energies of the Old World rose wonders we could never have imagined – armies of ghosts, fleets of aether-powered aircraft, Greenskin brutes the size of horses, and flying sharks! The heroes, villains, warriors and monsters of Warhammer Age of Sigmar represent the best range of fantasy miniatures in the world, beloved of a passionate, global gaming community. And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever.

And yet, the Old World whispers from ages past with its siren song. We grow misty-eyed at the memory of long-lost heroes and glorious kingdoms laid to ruin and of mighty champions whose sagas are sung no more.

And of course, much of the lore of the Mortal Realms has its roots in the world that was – with some of it’s most venerable denizens being the very same that fought across those war-torn kingdoms (along with a small selection of choice magical artefacts.)



The Old World is to Warhammer Age of Sigmar, as the Horus Heresy is to Warhammer 40,000. The bedrock of lore from which mortals rose to godhood and legends were forged. And like the Horus Heresy, seeing those mythic heroes in action has an undeniable appeal, as does re-creating the glorious armies of a previous epoch – an exciting proposition for hobbyists and gamers alike. And now, we have a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio beginning the work of bringing all that awesome back to the tabletop.

Exciting stuff!

If you’re itching to jump into the Old World right now, you can! There is a fantastic selection of computer games, such as Vermintide and Total War: Warhammer, offering a chance to engage in the enduring appeal of the setting.

And what next, then, for Warhammer Age of Sigmar?

There are some HUGE (some might say giant) plans for the Mortal Realms… More news soon. For now, we have to keep it hysh-hysh.


Original post:

Spoiler:
One of my FB group has shared a post from Warhammer Age of Sigmar FB page, they have dropped a picture of a square captioned "everything comes around again, even squares"

Now I cant share this pic because I'm at work and cant go on FB but look it up. I thought he was having a laugh but indeed, there it is.. I'm not big on social media apart from connecting with a few family and checking in with my local club so maybe Im missing something and its a troll post from a non legit site but their FB page seemed pretty legit when I looked.

So this is either: An exercise in gauging nerd rage and trolling on a whole new level, to which I would have to take my hat off and pat GW for having the gall and the balls to do that. This seems unlikely.

Nor do I think for a second they are going to change AOS to squares or even making it an option. After all, its taken time and a lot of PR effort and work to bring AOS up to what it is and it is very successful apparently.

So what on earth are they playing at ?

The dangling of the old world in front of people seems a little bit cruel, even for GW.. But I don't think they will re-launch WHFB, AOS is their new flagship and obviously a roaring success.

What I do think is that they have seen Conquest and KOW being extremely popular and competing with AOS as well as total war being huuuuge! I would imagine they'd get some data from 3rd party stores and FLGS along the way... (In my group everyone from WHFB went into those rather than stick with AOS but this is purely an anecdotal observation).

So I guess it shows R&F "squares" style of fantasy battles appeal to a lot of people. Looking at their track history, they are way deep into their offshoot specialist games so not sure how square bases fit into any of it. You'd need a lot of dudes for a rank and file game so its hardly a small specialist game territory.. Outside of being a new game/reboot of WHFB I just don't understand what on earth they are trying to do. It seems that ship has sailed on a sea of

So can they really not help themselves and want to get their grubby paws on the market share that's slipping and thinking they can get away with how they have treated their customer base? Sad thing is I'm pretty sure it would sell in seconds to those people that got shafted... Still it doesn't make sense.

I guess it will be revealed in their article tomorrow.

What's everybody thinking?

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2019/11/15 16:22:18


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







I’m thinking that I’ve read about this somewhere else on here already and that you’ve already put a lot of thought into this!
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Alpharius wrote:
I’m thinking that I’ve read about this somewhere else on here already and that you’ve already put a lot of thought into this!

Maybe in the AoS thread...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/9540/748195.page#10628713

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





Does AOS have an apoclypse equivilant? if not could they be perhaps looking at putting out square bases again and putting out an AOS apoc style system that basicly utilizes fighting ranks etc ala WFB?

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






 Ghaz wrote:
 Alpharius wrote:
I’m thinking that I’ve read about this somewhere else on here already and that you’ve already put a lot of thought into this!

Maybe in the AoS thread...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/9540/748195.page#10628713


My Bad I don't frequent the AOS threads and I couldn't see anything with square bases in the title when I had a cursory look.
Apologies if I'm duplicating topics.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







No worries - it might end up warranting it - depending upon what it turns out to be!
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






 Alpharius wrote:
I’m thinking that I’ve read about this somewhere else on here already and that you’ve already put a lot of thought into this!


Hmm I guess I did put some thought into it. I only just saw the post so sorry if its old news. It was news to me.. It bugs me because it doesn't make sense and its annoying me because I can't figure it out I'm sure once they announce it will be like.. Well duh...

Well for my part I loved WHFB back in 6th ed. I'm currently doing the WH RPG campaign as well which is fun. How exactly we ended up with 3 elves in our party where 99.9% of the world is pox ridden peasantry with a life expectancy of a hamster in a snake den is unanswered

I have zero interest in AOS as I like spears and sword men in RAF. Luckily have total war to get a lot of my fix but its not quite the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/15 02:38:10


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

BrianDavion wrote:
Does AOS have an apoclypse equivilant? if not could they be perhaps looking at putting out square bases again and putting out an AOS apoc style system that basicly utilizes fighting ranks etc ala WFB?

It doesn't really need one.

They talked about Warhammer Legends, which was going to bring point values and Allegiance Abilities to now defunct armies. That's probably what this is.
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

 Kanluwen wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Does AOS have an apoclypse equivilant? if not could they be perhaps looking at putting out square bases again and putting out an AOS apoc style system that basicly utilizes fighting ranks etc ala WFB?

It doesn't really need one.

They talked about Warhammer Legends, which was going to bring point values and Allegiance Abilities to now defunct armies. That's probably what this is.

So that they can play each other using AoS rules but old bases? Honestly asking. As this seems confusing.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in ca
[MOD]
Dankhold Troggoth






Shadeglass Maze

I'm really curious, as someone whose main game was WHFB. Trying and failing to not get my hopes up

We'll find out tomorrow!
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 Kanluwen wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Does AOS have an apoclypse equivilant? if not could they be perhaps looking at putting out square bases again and putting out an AOS apoc style system that basicly utilizes fighting ranks etc ala WFB?

It doesn't really need one.

They talked about Warhammer Legends, which was going to bring point values and Allegiance Abilities to now defunct armies. That's probably what this is.


no having played AOS, at all, why does it not really need an apoc game?


Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine




Eastern Fringe

It already scales well.

I bet this is "Warhammer Legends"

The first rule of unarmed combat is: don’t be unarmed. 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






 RiTides wrote:
I'm really curious, as someone whose main game was WHFB. Trying and failing to not get my hopes up

We'll find out tomorrow!


Tell me about it! Part of me does hope they are crawling back for our ££ (highly unlikely)

If its legends I really don't see why they are putting so much of an emphasis on the base being square? They could just as easily previewed an old unit that has been rebased because they are just creating data sheets for units that don't exist any longer so the base is irrelevant. Featuring squares is like taking 100 steps backwards.

Surely anybody playing/transitioning to AOS would have rebased their units to round bases or will carry on playing WHFB/KOW or another ruleset entirely and I doubt they want anything to do with AOS.
All tis is achieving is stirring up bad-blood. Maybe their new FB intern was born before WHFB got killed off and thinks total war IP is a rip of off GW IP ?


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/11/15 04:31:39


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Eldarain wrote:
Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

It doesn't say anything about switching to square bases, just that everything comes round again, even squares (i.e., models that were left on square bases because they were never updated for AoS beyond the Grand Alliance books - and maybe some that didn't even get that far?).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/15 04:29:14


'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





another possiability is that they're putting out some sort of "base conversion" thingy so people with square bases can make their bases round?

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






Like a re-basing tool kit? Seems a stretch but it could literary be anything at this stage. Legends is the most likely culprit but ohh lord is that a bad execution....

it doesn't make sense and its annoying the bejeezus out of me! Cant wait till tomorrow to find out.

Are they really that unaware/not giving a damn?
Or is it just next level trolling? lol

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 Argive wrote:
Like a re-basing tool kit? Seems a stretch but it could literary be anything at this stage. Legends is the most likely culprit but ohh lord is that a bad execution....

it doesn't make sense and its annoying the bejeezus out of me! Cant wait till tomorrow to find out.

Are they really that unaware/not giving a damn?
Or is it just next level trolling? lol


truthfully some sort of kit to make going from square to around would be nice, and If they also put out a kit enabling 25mm to 32mm I'd buy a few for my older marines

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in ca
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





British Columbia

 Ghaz wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

It doesn't say anything about switching to square bases, just that everything comes round again, even squares (i.e., models that were left on square bases because they were never updated for AoS beyond the Grand Alliance books - and maybe some that didn't even get that far?).

Ah that makes more sense. I didn't realize some stuff was left aside that long ago.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

 Eldarain wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

It doesn't say anything about switching to square bases, just that everything comes round again, even squares (i.e., models that were left on square bases because they were never updated for AoS beyond the Grand Alliance books - and maybe some that didn't even get that far?).

Ah that makes more sense. I didn't realize some stuff was left aside that long ago.


Tomb Kings and Bretts come to mind
/not bitter at all

Actually, I think either they are coming back out with rank & file rules (maybe Warmaster, ala 40K's Apocalypse?) or it may be they just start selling square bases for those who want to do rank & file games.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
Wicked Warp Spider






 Stormonu wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

It doesn't say anything about switching to square bases, just that everything comes round again, even squares (i.e., models that were left on square bases because they were never updated for AoS beyond the Grand Alliance books - and maybe some that didn't even get that far?).

Ah that makes more sense. I didn't realize some stuff was left aside that long ago.


Tomb Kings and Bretts come to mind
/not bitter at all

Actually, I think either they are coming back out with rank & file rules (maybe Warmaster, ala 40K's Apocalypse?) or it may be they just start selling square bases for those who want to do rank & file games.


It would make sense given the popularity of KOW & Conquest. They obviously would want a piece of that Rank & file pie, which is ironic as they decided that pie did not taste good...
At this stage that horse has bolted way out the stable dragging the stable hand along with it... It seems a strange direction whatever it is.

Rebasing models - I just use clippers/exacto to hack away the base and then exacto to clean the bottom of the feet, then glue to new base. Its a pain in the ass and but its the only way rly.. Freeze overnight and hope the glue is brittle so you can avoid that is an options but I don't see anything they could possibly release toold wise to be idiot proof enough to be viable lol.. A big cigar cutter comes to mind but people would loose fingers in that bad boy 100% hhaa

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







I'm glad ya all folks are doing well in society despite having flunked basic geometry in school, but you can't fit an AoS base around a square base of corresponding size.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Maybe they are bringing back classic Heroquest? My guess is some sort of nostalgia thing.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Ghaz wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Wasn't Legends a one time points level for squatted armies? Why would they switch to squares?

It doesn't say anything about switching to square bases, just that everything comes round again, even squares (i.e., models that were left on square bases because they were never updated for AoS beyond the Grand Alliance books - and maybe some that didn't even get that far?).


Yeah I'm thinking its going to effectively be LCTB for square bases, with everything still on them getting moved to rounds/ovals.
   
Made in es
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey






 lord_blackfang wrote:
I'm glad ya all folks are doing well in society despite having flunked basic geometry in school, but you can't fit an AoS base around a square base of corresponding size.


The corresponding size of a 20mm square would be a 25mm round, a 25mm square would be a 32mm round, and so on and so forth, so... yeah?

I mean, it might not be absolutely perfect, but it already works if you want it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2952975

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/11/15 07:26:05


 
   
Made in gb
Freelance Soldier




Nottingham, England

You say Conquest and KoW is popular, yet I'd say that is a very localised view. A popular UK web store can't shift Conquest starters at 30% off, I went to a national uk wargames show and a sealed starter sat on bring and buy at £30 and no one was even touching it.

KOW does have a following, but not many UK stores keep much, if any, stock of it despite Mantic being a UK company, the FLGS near me both got disinterested in Mantic when they started launching everything via KS. Granted this is not the case fir KOW 3rd but I just don't see anyone playing it much or even asking if anyone wants a game.

Pretty certain this announcement is the Legends book, they'll wrap up all the abandoned models and give some abandoned armies updated artefacts etc along with non tournament matched play points. I do t see it being a mass battle AoS because it's not been previewed and the new GW style is sneak peak for major releases at a show or con, then drip feed build up to week before release.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stonecold Gimster






 Albertorius wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
I'm glad ya all folks are doing well in society despite having flunked basic geometry in school, but you can't fit an AoS base around a square base of corresponding size.


The corresponding size of a 20mm square would be a 25mm round, a 25mm square would be a 32mm round, and so on and so forth, so... yeah?

I mean, it might not be absolutely perfect, but it already works if you want it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2952975


I just see GW coming up with round/oval converters for all us 'poor saps' that still use square bases for rank and file games like KoW.

And yes... they'll fit fine.
Convert 20mm squares to 40mm rounds and 25mm squares to 50mm rounds. Also a height boost by an inch. Then we'll scale nicely with AoS/Masters of the Universe.

My Painting Blog: http://gimgamgoo.com/
Currently most played: Silent Death, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Dracula's America, Bolt Action, X-Wing 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Executing Exarch





London, UK

I don't know how common this is for AoS kits but I've gotten square and round bases with my drakespawn knights, shadow warriors and eternal guard. Is this an old thing?

5000 Fir Farillecassion Eldar W/L/D 4th Ed Codex - 14/7/1 6th Ed Codex - 9/1/0 7th Ed Codex - 4/1/1 8th Ed Codex - 17/6/2
2000 Hive Fleet Zenith
Excavating eBay: My blog of eBay finds and the pile of shame!
Instagram, follow if you dare!
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 TwilightSparkles wrote:
You say Conquest and KoW is popular, yet I'd say that is a very localised view. A popular UK web store can't shift Conquest starters at 30% off, I went to a national uk wargames show and a sealed starter sat on bring and buy at £30 and no one was even touching it.

KOW does have a following, but not many UK stores keep much, if any, stock of it despite Mantic being a UK company, the FLGS near me both got disinterested in Mantic when they started launching everything via KS. Granted this is not the case fir KOW 3rd but I just don't see anyone playing it much or even asking if anyone wants a game.

Pretty certain this announcement is the Legends book, they'll wrap up all the abandoned models and give some abandoned armies updated artefacts etc along with non tournament matched play points. I do t see it being a mass battle AoS because it's not been previewed and the new GW style is sneak peak for major releases at a show or con, then drip feed build up to week before release.


it's possiable that GW could be making square bases avalaible again, if they feel there are eneugh old skool players with OCD to warrent it..

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Tyranid Horde wrote:
I don't know how common this is for AoS kits but I've gotten square and round bases with my drakespawn knights, shadow warriors and eternal guard. Is this an old thing?

If you get an old kit (made during WFB days) from GW online directly, they just throw in the round bases.

Anyway, I really wouldn't get too excited, I bet it's just them updating the Legends with squatted Cities of Sigmar models and (possibly) what will be squatted during the new Slaves to Darkness book. This way they will be done with all book-less kits and can never touch legends again. The joke in the picture is, after all, that even squares come a-round, not rounds come a-square.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: