Switch Theme:

How many game-ready 40k armies (1500 pts or larger) do you have?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
How many game-ready 40k armies (1500 pts or larger) do you have?
1 army
2 armies
3 armies
4 or more armies

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

Please let us know how many 40k armies do you have ready for game play (painted or not).
I'm interested at the level of 1500 pts or larger.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Seems kinda weird and arbitrary to say "anything under 1500pts doesn't count, but mountains of unpainted gak does" but, within the parameters of what's being asked: 2.
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran



Bamberg / Erlangen

Two are sitting on the shelf back from 3rd to 5th edition.

Added a third when I started again in 8th.

Grey Knights Imperial Guard Space Marines
 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba






I have, over 97% painted:

-Speed Freek Orks
-Alternate: All Grots (>3000pts of grots and units converted to be grots)
-Deathwatch
-Admech
-Eldar
-Drukhari
-Harlequins
-Thousand Sons
-Genestealer Cults

<1500pts:

-Guard
-Tau
-Knights
-Tzeentch Daemons
-Inquisiton/sisters of silence/agents etc

"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 Nazrak wrote:
Seems kinda weird and arbitrary to say "anything under 1500pts doesn't count, but mountains of unpainted gak does" but, within the parameters of what's being asked: 2.


This thread was spawned from a poster claiming that having one army with terrible rules isn't bad because the average 40k player has 3 armies and can switch to one of the other armies at any time.

So essentially this question is about who can switch to a different army for playing on a whim.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/17 12:17:05


Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

Two at the moment, but both quite large for standard games.

I had three (4000-5000 points of Drukhari) in 8th but sold the army 18 months ago, and I wanted to replace it with SoB but the new prices dissuaded me to start collecting them.


 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Well if that is the case then those are happy people. It would be nice though, if GW warned people about it with some warrning that says, that to have more or less enjoyable time with their armies, one needs to have 2-3 armies. Probably spread over multiple systems in case a core rules changes makes one game unfun.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




I am somewhere between 0 and lots, GW has made some of my army’s unplable without additions since I last used them. And others like my Eldar is probably nearing 15k of points but split into every craftworld.

We also only play 1000 points games so ones like my DE, guard and demons have more points but may not really fit into army of 1500 points. I put down as 4+ but I probably sit as anomaly.
The rules also made my only fully painted army not functional :9
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






Karol wrote:
Well if that is the case then those are happy people. It would be nice though, if GW warned people about it with some warrning that says, that to have more or less enjoyable time with their armies, one needs to have 2-3 armies. Probably spread over multiple systems in case a core rules changes makes one game unfun.


Not really. During 7th I had only one army, orks, and they were completely unplayable. I simply quit the game.

Nowadays I have two armies which immensely contributed to my enjoyment of the game, but I still think that this isn't the norm.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/17 12:35:34


Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List





Under the given limitations, I have 1 army, 2 if you really stretch it, but at 500 points, I have 4.

Setek: "My people shackled the stars, and broke mortality when the species you sprang from had barely left the slime pools it spawned in. Our wars burned reality, and the dominion of our kings is without limit. The ground you tread on is not yours; it is ours. "

Ahriman: "The Necrontyr; the sleeping ones"

Setek: "That name is not ours. Why give a name to totality?" 
   
Made in gb
Ship's Officer





Bristol (UK)

I only have one army.

When expanding, I either expand the one army or buy armies in other game systems.
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




 Jidmah wrote:


Not really. During 7th I had only one army, orks, and they were completely unplayable. I simply quit the game.

Nowadays I have two armies which immensely contributed to my enjoyment of the game, but I still think that this isn't the norm.


it is hard to judge stuff like this from my perspective. People I know fall in to two camps. People that play for 20+ years who are 35+ years old, have gigantic collections, often recast stuff, sometimes even commercially, and the rest of people between 13-20 having one army. And I just noticed one thing, we don't have any people in their mid 20s that play around here. There is a ton of teens, and some old folks, but no other people.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in ca
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant






Many Ultramarines. I don't even wanna estimate.

Admech is the next biggest, probably 2500 but less than 3k

Grey knights, just skimming 1600 depending on point changes. Terminators makes it easy so it's less then 40 models for the entire faction.

Plague marines skim 1500. From the dark Imperium set I added on 20 pox walkers, a blight crawler, and a squad of marines.
   
Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought




The dark hollows of Kentucky

Does an army whose rules only exist in Legends count?
   
Made in gb
Lord of the Fleet






London

Marines - approx. 3k
Guard - 5k
Custodes - 3k
Knights - 7.5k
Thousand Sons/Daemons - 1.5k

   
Made in ca
Excited Doom Diver






I have three. Harlequins, Space Wolves, Chaos Knights.

Space Wolves 4k
Harlequins 2k
Chaos Knights 2k
Spiderfangs 2k
Ossiarch Bonereapers 1k 
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






lets see, i have my marines and many faction specific kits, they are generically painted so that basically counts for 13 armies there.

cutodes, mechanicum, sisters, guard and knights, so 5 more imperium

for chaod csm, traitor knights, thousand sons so 3 there (need to start a demons army but have not yet)

for xenos main army is orks, also have tau, craftworld, harliquins, and necrons. i have the kits to do Tyranids too, but have not yet asembles so call this 5

so... 28+ armies


10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
On a Canoptek Spyder's Waiting List





Karol wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:


Not really. During 7th I had only one army, orks, and they were completely unplayable. I simply quit the game.

Nowadays I have two armies which immensely contributed to my enjoyment of the game, but I still think that this isn't the norm.


it is hard to judge stuff like this from my perspective. People I know fall in to two camps. People that play for 20+ years who are 35+ years old, have gigantic collections, often recast stuff, sometimes even commercially, and the rest of people between 13-20 having one army. And I just noticed one thing, we don't have any people in their mid 20s that play around here. There is a ton of teens, and some old folks, but no other people.


I do notice that this kind of thread won't actually tell much on a fan website, even if it doesn't seem like one sometimes, as generally the people here are here because they like the hobby, or used to. Each of my friends, barely have a kill team, but we play 40k online. I'm the exception in my group, but I still mostly prefer small armies for small 40k battles and kill team.

Setek: "My people shackled the stars, and broke mortality when the species you sprang from had barely left the slime pools it spawned in. Our wars burned reality, and the dominion of our kings is without limit. The ground you tread on is not yours; it is ours. "

Ahriman: "The Necrontyr; the sleeping ones"

Setek: "That name is not ours. Why give a name to totality?" 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran



Bamberg / Erlangen

Yep, just look at a PC hardware enthusiast forum and ask for their specs and then compare it with what people are actually using on Steam.

There is quite a big disconnect and whatever the result might be here, it is not representative for the average player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/17 13:14:27


Grey Knights Imperial Guard Space Marines
 
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






a_typical_hero wrote:
Yep, just look at a PC hardware enthusiast forum and ask for their specs and then compare it with what people are actually using on Steam.

There is quite a big disconnect and whatever the result might be here, it is not representative for the average player.


you mean everybody is not running a AMD Epyc or threadripper with dual NVlinked 3090's and 256 gigs of ram with 2 PCIe4 NVME drives running in raid 0 ?

totally agree on polls here for your "average player" being way off. locally there are a few of us who are really into it and then most have 1 army, these fall into 2 camsp usually the ones who have a beautifully painted army that the spend time hobbying and getting just right but rarely play, or the sea of gray who claim its pointless to paint but just play thier (often damaged and full of proxy/counts as models) armies who will not play unless the person agrees to forgo the 10 point deficit for having a non painted army. none are invalid and i am happy to play with either group, drink a few brews, have some fun and throw some dice but mayeb locally 4/20ish active players that i know of have more than 2 armies

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





I put 1, but I’m not sure if I even have that.

I don’t own the latest codex and haven’t played 9th edition yet, so I don’t know for sure that I even have 1500 pts. But it is painted. I don’t play with unpainted miniatures. I have plenty of unpainted plastic, but it stays on the sprues. When I build them I paint them before assembling any more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/06/17 13:53:07


 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Tribune





Technically several armies. AdMech, Chaos Marines/Chaos Demons, Knights. several smaller armies too mainly Imperium (<500points).

But...:

My Knights would only just reach around 1500points without allies.
The Chaos Marines/Demons would be around 2k-2.5k but it is nowhere near competative options (and it is grey tide) - this was more what looks neat.

AdMech - around 4k ish fairly competative list options, basically fully painted, usually multiple of most options but not more than 2-3 units of each - e.g. 2 onagers fully magnetised, 2 skorpius fully magnetised, 4 ironstriders & 3 dragoons 4 melee & 4 triple phosphor kastellan etc. (I did however invest in Kataphrons - 15 breachers & 9 destroyers...)

Praise the Omnissiah

About 4k of .

Imperial Knights (Valiant, Warden & Armigers)

Some Misc. Imperium units etc. Assassins...

About 2k of  
   
Made in us
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon





1500pts+ ?

Dark Angels
Raven Guard
Deathwatch
Eldar
Harlequins (but not at 2000pts yet)
Tau
Iron Warriors (but not quite at 2000pts, need to remedy)

Plus a few odds and ends that I can insert into narrative scenarios...a knight, some guard, inquisitorial retinues

I also don't understand people who claim that their armies were 'unplayable'. What happened, did their bases fall off? Otherwise, you're probably doing tthis whole thing wrong.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

 Gadzilla666 wrote:
Does an army whose rules only exist in Legends count?


I did...but even if I did not count that one, I have four more all painted up.

Cheers,

CB

46 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Elysian and Tau units looking for a new home. Unpainted Bretonnian metal units and figures for sale.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






 bullyboy wrote:
1500pts+ ?

Dark Angels
Raven Guard
Deathwatch
Eldar
Harlequins (but not at 2000pts yet)
Tau
Iron Warriors (but not quite at 2000pts, need to remedy)

Plus a few odds and ends that I can insert into narrative scenarios...a knight, some guard, inquisitorial retinues

I also don't understand people who claim that their armies were 'unplayable'. What happened, did their bases fall off? Otherwise, you're probably doing tthis whole thing wrong.


i mean 7th edition orks were pretty unplayable. I had one day (same day) where i set up my orks against Imperial guard for my first game of the day. I did not have a model left on the table at the bottom of turn 1, does that mean that I technically played that game? my models were on the table but other than setting up my battlewagons and boyz squads i wasn't involved much. The next game was Tyranids with a biker list to change things up. i again went second and most of my army was gone by bottom of turn 1, i had a biker boys squad and a warboss in combat by my turn who then died in my combat phase so... yay i "got a turn"?

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 wuestenfux wrote:
Please let us know how many 40k armies do you have ready for game play (painted or not).
I'm interested at the level of 1500 pts or larger.


I have 1 faction but I can make at least 5 1,500 point armies out of it without too much effort does that count?

 Xenomancers wrote:
It is utterly idiotic...like 8.5 ironhands idiotic to include this rule. I can assure you within 1 month it will be nerfed too...to only be DA characters...which is fine for a free rule that no other marines get...

Just cant stand these snow flake marines anymore.
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Procrastinator extraordinaire





Edinburgh, UK

I have one playable army currently that I can build multiple 2k lists from although it's very hard to win with Craftworlds right now.

I am working on another army for some variety (Imperial Fists successors) and a third waiting to see some love (Tyranids).

5000 Fir Farillecassion Eldar W/L/D 4th Ed Codex - 14/7/1 6th Ed Codex - 9/1/0 7th Ed Codex - 4/1/1 8th Ed Codex - 20/6/2 9th Ed - 2/2/0
2000 Hive Fleet Zenith
The Cutting Mat Chat: A hobby blog
Excoriators! The forgotten Second Founding Chapter P&M blog
Instagram, follow for other hobby updates 
   
Made in us
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon





 G00fySmiley wrote:
 bullyboy wrote:
1500pts+ ?

Dark Angels
Raven Guard
Deathwatch
Eldar
Harlequins (but not at 2000pts yet)
Tau
Iron Warriors (but not quite at 2000pts, need to remedy)

Plus a few odds and ends that I can insert into narrative scenarios...a knight, some guard, inquisitorial retinues

I also don't understand people who claim that their armies were 'unplayable'. What happened, did their bases fall off? Otherwise, you're probably doing tthis whole thing wrong.


i mean 7th edition orks were pretty unplayable. I had one day (same day) where i set up my orks against Imperial guard for my first game of the day. I did not have a model left on the table at the bottom of turn 1, does that mean that I technically played that game? my models were on the table but other than setting up my battlewagons and boyz squads i wasn't involved much. The next game was Tyranids with a biker list to change things up. i again went second and most of my army was gone by bottom of turn 1, i had a biker boys squad and a warboss in combat by my turn who then died in my combat phase so... yay i "got a turn"?


oh right, so you just kept on playing the same 'ole 2000pts, let's have at you, games and expected a different result? If GW deems that your army is the trash tier one of the edition (cue Karol), then you have to find opponents who are willing to try something different, home-brew scenarios, pre-determined lists, unbalanced scenarios, etc. There are so many ways to enjoy this game, but people just pigeon hole themselves in 2000pt only games.
   
Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought




The dark hollows of Kentucky

Well, if Legends armies count, then two: about 5k of Night Lords and 2000-2500 points of Renegades and Heretics. I'd have to look at the points in our Legends "rules" to be sure of the actual count.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






I mean not the same 2000 points game to game, tried a lot of different builds btu that was basically the worst codex gw ever made.
If you mean 2000 point games, then yea that is basically the format here people don't often have interest in different scenarios. They see anything outside of codex and tournament rules play to be not worth their time. So unless i wanted to play alone the only real option was to shelve the orks for a few years. If i wanted to be something other than being wiped turn 2 or 3 in most games that is.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: