Switch Theme:

Plastic Zone Mortalis?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in fi
Fresh-Faced New User





yes, looks like those are the floor tiles. They fit on the top of the wall pieces, looks like some kind of holes and pins conneector? No reason why you couldn't use them for the floors as well.

Doesn't look like there are that many unique floor tiles. Guessing they will come in a box with quite a few of them.

So now we got bulkheads, walls and floors. Oh man, you could make a killer Space Hulk board now (but you'd probably go bankrupt LOL)

BTW, are existing 40k building walls compatible with these heights? Seeing a lot of kitbash potential if so...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/24 20:31:10


 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Would be a pity (and an expensive project) if the floors were all single tiles, had hoped that this would be an easier, cheaper and neater alternative to FW's old tiles for an Imperial Knight hangar bay, but we'll see sooner or later.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ottawa Ontario Canada

The terrain looks amazing, really stoked. Thinking this will be like the original kill team starter, the terrain will likely be a good value given what everything will cost on its own.

Do you play 30k? It'd be a lot cooler if you did.  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 BrookM wrote:
Would be a pity (and an expensive project) if the floors were all single tiles, had hoped that this would be an easier, cheaper and neater alternative to FW's old tiles for an Imperial Knight hangar bay, but we'll see sooner or later.


They certainly have the same detailing. But the more I look at the close ups that H.B.M.C posted the more I'm thinking they are a larger independent piece

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Spoiler:







There are noticeable joins between some sections. But there is a lot of space on others where its either a single moulded piece, or a really seamless conection.
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Cheers for that.

The large joins are most likely due to these being the resin masters and those are never, ever straight.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

GoatboyBeta wrote:
Looking at the video close ups I suspect the floor tiles could be lots of the new walkway sections stuck together as they seem to have the same detailing.
I have to agree. I don't think the intent was ever to have plastic flooring.

   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

@Owen_Patten is the designer's handle on Twitter. According to Ray Dranfield he'll be telling us more soon. And Owen has already said it's a fully modular range, but we'll have to wait for more info on what that means.

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







Regarding the holes being for pegs, that makes no sense. The pegs would have to be on the bottom then, and then wouldn't sit flush on the tiles/mat.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Lead-Footed Trukkboy Driver



Olympia, WA

 lord_blackfang wrote:
Regarding the holes being for pegs, that makes no sense. The pegs would have to be on the bottom then, and then wouldn't sit flush on the tiles/mat.


They could have holes on both sides with a "floating" peg to connect them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/24 22:22:33


If I Had a Rocket Launcher, I'd Make Somebody Pay 
   
Made in us
Most Glorious Grey Seer





Everett, WA

ecurtz wrote:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
Regarding the holes being for pegs, that makes no sense. The pegs would have to be on the bottom then, and then wouldn't sit flush on the tiles/mat.

They could have holes on both sides with a "floating" peg to connect them.

More likely the underside is molded with guides to fit the walls and pillars.




Reading's for morons who can't understand pictures.

 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Breotan wrote:

More likely the underside is molded with guides to fit the walls and pillars.


That would be optimal but in the pictures the walls are just scattered around willy nilly, they don't align with the pattern of the floors at all, and it's very clear they don't sit flush.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




CA, USA

I wonder how this will mesh with the FW stuff. Hopefully they made them compatible.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





gwaddict wrote:
I wonder how this will mesh with the FW stuff. Hopefully they made them compatible.


Looks like the height is compatible with the sector mechanicus/imperialis stuff. One set of walls + floor should be same height as the plasma regulators, two sets look to be normal sector wall/walkway height. I'm not sure what size the FW zone mortalis stuff is.
   
Made in us
Veteran Inquisitor with Xenos Alliances






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
GoatboyBeta wrote:
Looking at the video close ups I suspect the floor tiles could be lots of the new walkway sections stuck together as they seem to have the same detailing.
I have to agree. I don't think the intent was ever to have plastic flooring.

I'm inclined to disagree, we've seen on shipping manifests and the price lists that GW is selling a kit of "floors"...

The biggest doubt I had when we started to hear about this terrain was the fact that none of GW's standard sized sprues are big enough for the full (slightly less than) 1 foot ZM tiles. The standard full sized sprue, typical of many of the other terrain sets isn't big enough; they're ~9" x 12". Could GW have gone for a larger mold?-Maybe, but I don't think we'd see these for too long if they did. I'm going to assume that if you want to build 1ftx1ft tiles each sprue will give about 1/2 of a ZM tile worth of floor. If GW sells this at a price point comparable to the best deal they gave on sector mechanicus sprues, The $65 list price we've seen gets you at most 6 sprues building out 3 sq-ft. I'm more inclined to believe GW's going to be selling them with 4 sprues putting them inline with their more typical terrain kits. It ends up being just about what the resin ZM tiles were at one point, and you'll probably get a bunch of random bits to change things up.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

But we've seen the "floors" with the kits. They're more akin to the Cities of Death floors in that they're squares and strips. For all we know the floors could contain struts and latters as well, a bit like those old Platformer kits, and are made to go with the new Zone Mortalis walls.

Otherwise why go to the trouble of making specific floor sprues that are bigger and not put them in the new Necromunda box.



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/28 23:24:36


   
Made in us
Veteran Inquisitor with Xenos Alliances






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
But we've seen the "floors" with the kits. They're more akin to the Cities of Death floors in that they're squares and strips. For all we know the floors could contain struts and latters as well, a bit like those old Platformer kits, and are made to go with the new Zone Mortalis walls.

Otherwise why go to the trouble of making specific floor sprues that are bigger and not put them in the new Necromunda box.

Price point is my guess. The 2D-ness of the first starter sets was one of the common complaints; if they did plastic floors, chances are that is all they would be the only terrain and it'd just be a plastic version of the card tiles, without color or the simulated depth.
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

Personally, I would have preferred a mousepad mat (the one in the Community picture looks like poster paper). Plastic floor to me would have the same issues the city R.O.B. boards have.

Although, the protectors/arbites has me even more interested.

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

Boxed sets tend to have a card gameboard. They've been okay for the most part.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I wish they sold 'em separately. I want a couple of the Sector Fronteris mats.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormonu wrote:
Personally, I would have preferred a mousepad mat (the one in the Community picture looks like poster paper). Plastic floor to me would have the same issues the city R.O.B. boards have.
Yes, but you can't use mousepad mats as a second floor. I'd expect the plastic floors to come in sections (like some of the Sector Imperialis stuff) to allow for platforms and multiple layers, and you can still use game mats for the ground floor - because it'd probably cost as much as (or likely more than) a R.O.B. board to use all plastic floors for the whole board.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Did they discontinue the original RoB board by the way? I dont see it on the website. I was going to get one at some point to fit the crashed thunderhawk tile into
   
Made in gb
Cackling Chaos Conscript





Oxfordshire

But will the new terrain be made from psychostyrene? That’s the real question here.

(If you did not get this reference, take heart; it means you are not old.)
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






I believe it’s being cast in Drastik Plastik.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator







 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I wish they sold 'em separately. I want a couple of the Sector Fronteris mats.


If the shipping costs weren't so high due to the weight of them, I have two I could send you.

You can never beat your first time. The second generation is shinier, stronger, faster and superior in every regard save one, and it's an unfair criticism to level, but it simply can't be as original. - Andy Chambers, on the evolution of Games Workshop games
 
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

 MajorWesJanson wrote:
Did they discontinue the original RoB board by the way? I dont see it on the website. I was going to get one at some point to fit the crashed thunderhawk tile into


Crashed Thunderhawk - no idea how you find it browsing the store, but it's there if you search for it.
   
Made in nl
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine





The Netherlands

beast_gts wrote:
 MajorWesJanson wrote:
Did they discontinue the original RoB board by the way? I dont see it on the website. I was going to get one at some point to fit the crashed thunderhawk tile into


Crashed Thunderhawk - no idea how you find it browsing the store, but it's there if you search for it.

I think he means the opposite: he already has the Crashed Thunderhawk, but wants the original Realm of Battle board to go with it. But I'm afraid that one has been discontinued.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Redemption wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
 MajorWesJanson wrote:
Did they discontinue the original RoB board by the way? I dont see it on the website. I was going to get one at some point to fit the crashed thunderhawk tile into


Crashed Thunderhawk - no idea how you find it browsing the store, but it's there if you search for it.

I think he means the opposite: he already has the Crashed Thunderhawk, but wants the original Realm of Battle board to go with it. But I'm afraid that one has been discontinued.


May have to trawl ebay then :(
   
Made in ca
Trustworthy Shas'vre






 Crablezworth wrote:
The terrain looks amazing, really stoked. Thinking this will be like the original kill team starter, the terrain will likely be a good value given what everything will cost on its own.


The leaked price worries me. This could be 350-370 CAD, compared to Kill Team being 210 CAD. Now, Kill Team had 2 groups of slightly older 40k minis, not new hotness Necromunda, but there had better be a metric ton of terrain in the box for it to compare favorably to Kill Team in terms of value. As it stands I feel a bit priced out of the market for this set, though hopefully the separate kits will be a better price point.

   
Made in gb
Deadshot Weapon Moderati





 John Prins wrote:
 Crablezworth wrote:
The terrain looks amazing, really stoked. Thinking this will be like the original kill team starter, the terrain will likely be a good value given what everything will cost on its own.


The leaked price worries me. This could be 350-370 CAD, compared to Kill Team being 210 CAD. Now, Kill Team had 2 groups of slightly older 40k minis, not new hotness Necromunda, but there had better be a metric ton of terrain in the box for it to compare favorably to Kill Team in terms of value. As it stands I feel a bit priced out of the market for this set, though hopefully the separate kits will be a better price point.

As in, cheaper to buy everything separately? Are you new?
   
Made in ca
Trustworthy Shas'vre






JWBS wrote:
 John Prins wrote:
 Crablezworth wrote:
The terrain looks amazing, really stoked. Thinking this will be like the original kill team starter, the terrain will likely be a good value given what everything will cost on its own.


The leaked price worries me. This could be 350-370 CAD, compared to Kill Team being 210 CAD. Now, Kill Team had 2 groups of slightly older 40k minis, not new hotness Necromunda, but there had better be a metric ton of terrain in the box for it to compare favorably to Kill Team in terms of value. As it stands I feel a bit priced out of the market for this set, though hopefully the separate kits will be a better price point.

As in, cheaper to buy everything separately? Are you new?


No, as in 'reasonable value for the terrain alone, rather than the terrain bundled in with all the other crap'. Maybe we'll get a ZM box set like the Kill Team or Warcry Terrain boxes if we're lucky.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: