Switch Theme:

BattleTech: Clan invasion Kickstarter live.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






“What about plastic kits with the ‘mechs on sprues (non-assembled)
Focus is miniatures for people to play. IWM is the place for assembly ‘Mechs.“

That makes me sad, so because CGL cannot or will not buyout IWM contract. We are forever stuck with misshapen lumps of plastic from Catalyst or misshapen lumps of lead from iron.

Given the glacier like improvements in quality in both my great grand kids may get some mechs that are made to 2019 standard in 2050ish

Your last point is especially laughable and comical, because not only the 7th ed Valkyrie shown dumber things (like being able to throw the troopers without parachutes out of its hatches, no harm done) - Irbis 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I just got the two newer boxes. The idea that they are "misshapen lumps of plastic" is so far removed from reality that it's hardly worth commenting on.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






If previous comments in this thread are correct, there’s no contract for Catalyst to buy out; Iron Wind Metals have the perpetual licence to make Battletech miniatures and it appears it’s exclusive.
   
Made in us
Crafty Clanrat





Texas

Actually, the new mechs (I just picked up the new Catalyst AGOAC box set) are pretty great.

And as a miniature junkie, they are plenty detailed should I ever actually choose to paint them. An unlikely prospect given my every growing pile of plastic, resin and metal).

Urusei Yatsura, Cerebus the Aardvark, Machiavelli, Plato and Happy Days. So, how was your childhood? 
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




Last few hours now. Be nice to break the $2.5 million mark.
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 AndrewGPaul wrote:
If previous comments in this thread are correct, there’s no contract for Catalyst to buy out; Iron Wind Metals have the perpetual licence to make Battletech miniatures and it appears it’s exclusive.


FASA made a lot of idiotic decisions that way.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block



Orlando, FL

I'm going to pass, since I don't care for the Clans, and I still haven't painted my minis from the first box set. That said, these are nice minis. They are made of a resin/plastic blend that is a bit of a pain to clean mold lines from, but other than that they look great.

Jonathan 
   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

BrianDavion wrote:
 AndrewGPaul wrote:
If previous comments in this thread are correct, there’s no contract for Catalyst to buy out; Iron Wind Metals have the perpetual licence to make Battletech miniatures and it appears it’s exclusive.


FASA made a lot of idiotic decisions that way.

The history of Ral Partha is interesting as well, like how FASA owned Ral Partha between 1998 and 2001...

http://www.purplepawn.com/2010/03/the-convoluted-story-of-iron-wind-metals-ral-partha-and-battletech-miniatures/

$2.5 MILLION GOAL REACHED! with 2 hours and 41 minutes left in the Kickstarter.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/08/18 00:19:44


'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





yeah Ral Partha's history is pretty complex. apparently they where the citidel sub contracter in NA back in the day, so some of the old 90s WFB and 40K stuff might even be ral partha

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
The Last Czarnian






The Northwest Territory

I'm in for the Star Captain level. Glad to see it hit the $2.5 million mark. I'm pretty excited for this and I'll probably throw in a few add-ons as well, once the pledge manager goes live.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Didn't think we'd hit $2.5m, given we were over $200k away before I went to bed. Man did it jump up!

   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Didn't think we'd hit $2.5m, given we were over $200k away before I went to bed. Man did it jump up!


the battletech fanbase isn't as big as some games out there (such as 40k) but it's passionate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/18 02:24:42


Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Can the Legendary Mechwarrior box be taken as a pledge reward?

   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

BrianDavion wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Didn't think we'd hit $2.5m, given we were over $200k away before I went to bed. Man did it jump up!


the battletech fanbase isn't as big as some games out there (such as 40k) but it's passionate.

And some deep pockets. Half an hour to go and it's sitting at $2.57 million

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

8 minutes to go!

Literal seconds count down.

Minute left!!!


It's over!

Final tally: $2,585,506.54

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/08/18 03:00:31


   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

Final total of $2,585,506.00

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Nimble Skeleton Charioteer





I threw in for $30. I'll see what I decide to do in the pledge manager next month.
   
Made in us
Storm Trooper with Maglight




Denver

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Can the Legendary Mechwarrior box be taken as a pledge reward?


Add-on only unless they change it later, which I kind of doubt but you never know.
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




Great to see life in the old dog yet.

Probably one of the most tactically deep games still on the market. A hugely rewarding experience for both competitive and roleplay or campaign players.

Hopefully modern minis will see the playerbase glow a little bit again.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

That was an interesting thing from the first AMA; every time Catalyst puts out a plastic mini their metal mini sales go up.

   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
That was an interesting thing from the first AMA; every time Catalyst puts out a plastic mini their metal mini sales go up.


Probably as simple as the plastics bringing in fresh blood.

The Battletech universe is expansive. Most of the cannon mechs, tanks, vehicles, battle armour, infantry, VTOLs, aero, aerospace, will never be made in plastic. Hence many new players jumping on-board with plastic will expand their forces with metal minis at some stage.

   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





it's also possiable some people didn't realize until now that Battletech was still a thing. a lotta people still think it died with FASA.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




BrianDavion wrote:
it's also possiable some people didn't realize until now that Battletech was still a thing. a lotta people still think it died with FASA.


I'd agree with that. CGL, while saving the game, never had the money to properly support the game.

The absolute mess that is BT licensing also doesn't help things much. Digital rights gone - not just a problem tying in very successful games with the physical game but the ability to develop digital tools to make the physical game less player intensive. Rights to produce minis a grey area - I think they can only do mechs in plastic if they come in packs - Iron wind Metals owns the rest of the rights.

Not having quality minis with the new starter box releases has been a major problem over the last decade. Also not being able to maintain those starter boxes with reprints an even greater problem. Non-US distribution isn't good either. Ordering from CGL themselves can incur shipping costs higher than cost of product.

I realise I'm making CGL sound like a disaster zone. But they've done a great job saving and running the universe this last twenty years. The product quality over the years barring the boxset minis is amazing. Hopefully this Kickstarter gives them the financial base to expand the product line heavily into quality minis and keep their core products in print.

It's certainly one of the most exciting times in Battletech tabletop history for the last thirty-five years.



   
Made in us
Focused Fire Warrior




United States

niall78 wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
That was an interesting thing from the first AMA; every time Catalyst puts out a plastic mini their metal mini sales go up.


Probably as simple as the plastics bringing in fresh blood.

The Battletech universe is expansive. Most of the cannon mechs, tanks, vehicles, battle armour, infantry, VTOLs, aero, aerospace, will never be made in plastic. Hence many new players jumping on-board with plastic will expand their forces with metal minis at some stage.



If I ever get real into Battletech where I'm buying more than just mechs. You can bet I will be buying the infantry, and other vehicle minis to supplement my forces.

In other news, I'm looking forward to the painting guides that are supposedly included so I can put a plan together for getting my minis painted quickly and efficiently.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/18 10:59:57


 
   
Made in jp
Ship's Officer






The Land of the Rising Sun

Not only the KS ended up in a record but also after it did so I found this on my way home.

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/7954/COMBAT+ARMORS+MAX15+1+72nd+Scale+Abitate+F35C+Blizzard+Gunner.html

I already had one, now I'm one step closer to a full lance.

M.

Jenkins: You don't have jurisdiction here!
Smith Jamison: We aren't here, which means when we open up on you and shred your bodies with automatic fire then this will never have happened.

Raxmei wrote:24ps is the range. 24". If that were the points cost then lasguns and plasma guns would cost the same amount and flamers would have a cost of "Souffle".

Every year Golden Week Tournament at www.nagoyahammer.com 
   
Made in us
Crafty Clanrat





Texas

Those are 1/72 scale, but GSM is releasing ALL of the of Dougram models now. I wish they would do the same with Crusher Joe...

Urusei Yatsura, Cerebus the Aardvark, Machiavelli, Plato and Happy Days. So, how was your childhood? 
   
Made in gb
Combat Jumping Tiger Soldier




North Wales

niall78 wrote:


The absolute mess that is BT licensing also doesn't help things much. Digital rights gone - not just a problem tying in very successful games with the physical game but the ability to develop digital tools to make the physical game less player intensive. Rights to produce minis a grey area - I think they can only do mechs in plastic if they come in packs - Iron wind Metals owns the rest of the rights.





I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that CGL might have one of those weird things going where they can't release minis.

Unless...

It's a component in a game box.

So, releasing starter boxed sets with rules and stuff is fine. Expansion packs of minis would be a no go, unless it's part of a game, which is why all the Alpha Strike Lance packs had cards in them and all of the Lance/Star packs in the KS have pilot cards with them.
   
Made in ca
Executing Exarch




BrianDavion wrote:
 AndrewGPaul wrote:
If previous comments in this thread are correct, there’s no contract for Catalyst to buy out; Iron Wind Metals have the perpetual licence to make Battletech miniatures and it appears it’s exclusive.


FASA made a lot of idiotic decisions that way.


I wouldn't call it idiotic. It used to be that licensing wasn't seen the way that it is now. There are a couple of classic examples of this. The first is the Star Trek license used to make the game Star Fleet Battles. Much to Paramount's chagrin, the license has no expiration date. Another example - and one that most Battletech fans are at least nominally aware of - is the license that Harmony Gold managed to acquire for Macross.

In short, FASA was likely merely going with the times when it issued that license.


There is one thing to consider -

If CGL does well with its plastic miniatures line, it might spur IWM to overhaul its own line-up.
   
Made in jp
Ship's Officer






The Land of the Rising Sun

 Sacredroach wrote:
Those are 1/72 scale, but GSM is releasing ALL of the of Dougram models now. I wish they would do the same with Crusher Joe...


I saw the Minerva next the Blizzard Gunner so the Crusher Joe kits might be released soon.

M.

Jenkins: You don't have jurisdiction here!
Smith Jamison: We aren't here, which means when we open up on you and shred your bodies with automatic fire then this will never have happened.

Raxmei wrote:24ps is the range. 24". If that were the points cost then lasguns and plasma guns would cost the same amount and flamers would have a cost of "Souffle".

Every year Golden Week Tournament at www.nagoyahammer.com 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





down south

Decided to get into my first Kickstarter with this. Got the base game from the flgs and love the new plastic mechs. Already started painting them in house Steiner colors. The boys favorite colors! Gonna do some up as wolfs dragoons too I'm thinking. Hopefully catalyst has everything under control and we get reinforcements next year! Does anyone have any experience with good BattleTech decals?
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: