DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoPodcastsHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

Ork - Scratch built and Converted models (and some Chaos)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in us
Tough-as-Nails Ork Boy




Sedona, Arizona

Sweet jesus, all of these are literally pure gold.
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

hi guys, sorry i will reply to you all at a later day, i just wanted you guys that have followed me for the last 3 years and new comers something........

this is what i made 3 years ago when this blog was young



and this is in the big Waaagh on page 70



look closer lol

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2014/07/13 15:09:31


My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Proddin' Pigdok





Scotland

OMG did you get credit for it or they just steal it?

It's awesome that you are immortalised but come on!


My blogs Please visit and let me know your thoughts.
Orkishness blog... http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/486262.page
Everything else...... http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/540699.page 
   
Made in us
Huge Bone Giant






Didn't you base yours off the one in Space Marine anyways?

Although yeah, the resemblance is uncanny.

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

If yer an Ork, why dont ya WAAAGH!!

Red Iron Games and Miniatures
Always accepting commissions!

M.A.V.- now on Kickstarter and Greenlight! 
   
Made in gb
Glorious Grot Banna Wava





UK

Bloody hell I thought it was the same one Ask for royalties at least some free models LOL or maybe you will get a visit from their lawyers for future plagiarism a new one even for GW



 
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

Anvildude wrote:
Didn't you base yours off the one in Space Marine anyways?


Errrrrrr no


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 lone dirty dog wrote:
Bloody hell I thought it was the same one Ask for royalties at least some free models LOL or maybe you will get a visit from their lawyers for future plagiarism a new one even for GW


i'm going to ring them tomorrow, i don't want to be a dick about it all

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/07/13 18:38:35


My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in se
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine





Skovde, Sweden

Looks like a little more than a coincidence... please let us know what they reply.

// Andreas

Dark Angels 4th Company (3,035pts) 170pts fully painted

 
   
Made in gb
Powerful Orc Big'Un





A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

Haha, send them a C&D

Seriously though, that is unbelievable - it means that someone at GW reads the forums

Once More Unto the Breach diorama blog
Conversions and scratchbuilds featuring a Thunderhawk & Thunderbolt
Random stuff blog

The tribe feasted upon Goblin-flesh long into the night - all except for Ruglud, who couldn't get his helmet off, and was reduced to sucking broth through a straw
 
   
Made in us
Death-Dealing Devastator






Dude, that's F*ed up. Leave it to GW.

I also second the "let us know what happens"


Click the banner to check out my blog, and leave some feedback.

DIY 3450pts 1000pts 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






Oh my goodness, that's awesome, and cruel of them to give you no credit!

Please let us know how they reply.
   
Made in gb
Glorious Grot Banna Wava





UK

Yes I cant wait to see GW explain this one through their lawyers, you have to let us know what they come back with



 
   
Made in us
Huge Bone Giant






Oh wow. Yeah. Now that I've refreshed myself on what the Minelayer looked like (which is what was in the game, as well)...

Mayhaps you can contact Chapterhouse or their attourneys and give them something else that they'll be able to use in the ongoing lawsuit?

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

If yer an Ork, why dont ya WAAAGH!!

Red Iron Games and Miniatures
Always accepting commissions!

M.A.V.- now on Kickstarter and Greenlight! 
   
Made in ca
Infiltrating Hawwa'





Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Lazy, lazy photoshop monkeys!

   
Made in us
Huge Bone Giant






I mean seriously. How can you call yourself an artist and then turn around and do that?! It's not just lazy, it's not just immoral and borderline illegal (as, I'm sure would be argued, they're not claiming anything with the actual photo or model and thus it counts as a 'new form of expression') but as someone who's pursuing a career in the arts myself, I wouldn't be capable of so blatantly copying someone else's work like that. Maybe if my bosses came to me and were all "We need a big 2-page spread of an Ork aerial armada by tuesday! And it can't all be fightas and bommas- we need bigger stuff in there too!", and it was Saturday night, sure, maybe I'd do an internet trawl for inspiration. But if I was going to just copy a design wholecloth like that, I'd at least contact the original artist and ask.

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

If yer an Ork, why dont ya WAAAGH!!

Red Iron Games and Miniatures
Always accepting commissions!

M.A.V.- now on Kickstarter and Greenlight! 
   
Made in gb
Yellin' Yoof on a Scooter





UK

Woah thats crazy.



Great compliment for you, but i'll bet you're not too happy.
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

Email sent to GW head office, we will see what the say in a couple of days

My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in gb
Flashy Flashgitz





Colchester

Whilst I am sure you are feeling a little p'd off and cheated it is quite an honour.

A lot of people base their conversions on GW art, now GW artists are basing their work on your conversions.

Edited for spelling ∞ times

Painting in Slow Motion My Dakka Badmoon Blog

UltraPrime - "I know how you feel. Every time I read this thread, I find you complaining about something."

 
   
Made in us
Heroic Senior Officer





California + Philidelphia

Well.. that is quite.. unusual. Defiantly curious what they say. Congrats for being published?

[
"Don't worry, Vik! You have all of your internet friends to keep you company! And, as everyone knows, internet friends are at least one step above imaginary friends "-Rawson
"Does an Ork shiiiit green?" "...Rogue! -you rock!" "Damn you too Rogue!""[TTFN]... That means tittyfething right?""Yep, that's me, a two-dollar whore"-Dsteingass
"... but if we all fail together we can make it look like we´ve won actually.." "...to all killers out there...: my face will hit your fist so hard it´s gonna bleed...your fist that is...""lol....OMG... you are a serial""he knows no pain...nor fear^^ he is a riveteer""yep... some of the dakka chaps here sure made the joints of my jaw quite loose...""er... emailsex... now that at least sounds like the perfect safer sex... but i like mine a bit more...wet""do you know what they call a quarter pounder of a buckte full of rivets in france?" "No...what?" "Rivitz royal"-Viktor von Domm
" I expected to hear gak like that from RW, not you Vik... for shame Sir, for shame"-AnUnearthlyChilde
"We are Vik's private collection of muses for the monkey on his back.....""you, guys are worse than my children......"-mxwllmdr
"Singling one out as odd in a =][_= thread is like going into an asylum, pointing at someone at random and saying "that person's insane""-Shrike
 
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

 Bangbangboom wrote:
Whilst I am sure you are feeling a little p'd off and cheated it is quite an honour.

A lot of people base their conversions on GW art, now GW artists are basing their work on your conversions.



don't get me wrong mate, this is ace and i'm trying not to be a dick about it


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Rogue Wolves wrote:
Well.. that is quite.. unusual. Defiantly curious what they say. Congrats for being published?


yep me tooooooooo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/07/14 17:20:23


My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in us







Madison, WI

You should be a Dick about it. I'm sure they'll claim you stole their idea. I doubt they'll answer you unless you contact them with a lawyer. If they really think you have a case, they'll broadly put you under a restraining order of some sort or threaten you with litigation.

   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

 Gitsplitta wrote:
You should be a Dick about it. I'm sure they'll claim you stole their idea. I doubt they'll answer you unless you contact them with a lawyer. If they really think you have a case, they'll broadly put you under a restraining order of some sort or threaten you with litigation.



hahahahahahaha i have been told to be nice about it, i have also been told to let GW "Do the Right thing" it is very clear what has happened and lets see if GW do do the right thing, there is a lot of people watching this see as GW are the first to clamp down on people copying there stuff lol

we will see

My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in gb
Three Color Minimum





Land of Sun, and Der

Bit confused, which book is this in?

   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

 SJM wrote:
Bit confused, which book is this in?


the Red Waaagh on page 70

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Sanctus-Reach-The-Red-Waaagh

My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot






Your work is incredible. It looks better than Forge World stuff. As far as GW ripping off your intellectual property, they wouldnt hesitate to be a jerk to you if the situation was reversed. I wouldnt feel bad.

I also cant believe you built a freakin ork battleship!
   
Made in us
Huge Bone Giant






Again, and IANAL, I don't think you'd have any case here. At least, not without them also having a case against anybody who's scratch-built a Wazzdakka or a Thunderhawk or a Deathleaper or whatever.

That's an 'original' painting, based on your model. The painting, no matter what the subject matter in it looks like or was inspired by or whatever, is legally Games Workshop's (or whoever painted it- we've already seen that they're not the best with writing contracts for independents).

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

If yer an Ork, why dont ya WAAAGH!!

Red Iron Games and Miniatures
Always accepting commissions!

M.A.V.- now on Kickstarter and Greenlight! 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




it's not about weather or not he has a "case" in the court of public opinion when a company like GW uses the brilliant work of a hobbyist without so much as a nod, they look even more derivative and self serving than they already appear to many of us.
It is very poor form indeed.
   
Made in se
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine





Skovde, Sweden

Anvildude wrote:
Again, and IANAL, I don't think you'd have any case here. At least, not without them also having a case against anybody who's scratch-built a Wazzdakka or a Thunderhawk or a Deathleaper or whatever.

That's an 'original' painting, based on your model. The painting, no matter what the subject matter in it looks like or was inspired by or whatever, is legally Games Workshop's (or whoever painted it- we've already seen that they're not the best with writing contracts for independents).


Well, it's quite possible they will get away with it since is is, as you say, a painting. The interesting thing though is that the posing of every single detail is identical. So the "based" on is a little to loose. And since they have used a photo to paint from there is case history of people taking such things to court and winning. Depends on the country where if would be tried.

Also, it is customary as people say to give credit and in commercial work also to pay a standard fee for using someone's material, also depending on country.

The last thing is that in the case of Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse Studios, that we are following in another thread, GW claimed that likeness was enough to be a crime. An example was the Mycetic spore thingie... it was a fussy blobb in the corner of the picture and that was enough according to them. Now the case has been very much of a nosebleed for them sofar. But still, that is their view. It would be nice if they held to their own standards and ideas.

// Andreas

Dark Angels 4th Company (3,035pts) 170pts fully painted

 
   
Made in us
Death-Dealing Devastator






So can we get some pitchforks and torches?


Click the banner to check out my blog, and leave some feedback.

DIY 3450pts 1000pts 
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





York, Yorkshire, England, UK

 granander wrote:
Anvildude wrote:
Again, and IANAL, I don't think you'd have any case here. At least, not without them also having a case against anybody who's scratch-built a Wazzdakka or a Thunderhawk or a Deathleaper or whatever.

That's an 'original' painting, based on your model. The painting, no matter what the subject matter in it looks like or was inspired by or whatever, is legally Games Workshop's (or whoever painted it- we've already seen that they're not the best with writing contracts for independents).


Well, it's quite possible they will get away with it since is is, as you say, a painting. The interesting thing though is that the posing of every single detail is identical. So the "based" on is a little to loose. And since they have used a photo to paint from there is case history of people taking such things to court and winning. Depends on the country where if would be tried.

Also, it is customary as people say to give credit and in commercial work also to pay a standard fee for using someone's material, also depending on country.

The last thing is that in the case of Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse Studios, that we are following in another thread, GW claimed that likeness was enough to be a crime. An example was the Mycetic spore thingie... it was a fussy blobb in the corner of the picture and that was enough according to them. Now the case has been very much of a nosebleed for them sofar. But still, that is their view. It would be nice if they held to their own standards and ideas.



very well said

My Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426770.page
All the Plastic card I use in all my models comes from my Local Model Train shop in (www.collectable-models.co.uk), UK, you can also buy it on-line, please asking me where i get it from or you go on the list. and also from here http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/treadhead2004/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754
 
   
Made in gb
Three Color Minimum





Land of Sun, and Der

Ahh I see, tbh I think its awesome, I'd be over the moon if something I created made it into a official book!

However, that said credit should given somewhere for the use of your model.


   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to:   

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules