Switch Theme:

Primaris Tactica - Tactics using just Primaris and related models  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller



Ottawa

 Apple Peel wrote:
I’ve imagined a tactic for Blood Angels Primaris.

Get a full Reiver Squad with combat knives and Grav-Chutes, Librarian with Phobos that knows Hallucination and Shrouding, and a full Inceptor squad.

This whole grouping drops turn two somewhere with lots of chaff/chaffed up objective, etc. Inceptors combat squad as they deploy to make the enemy split their fire. Librarian casts shrouding on the Reivers. The Ineceptors tank enemy fire with T5.
Next turn, Reivers get in optimal range to throw shock grenades, and charge. Librarian has casted Hallucination on the enemy charged unit.
Bring along a Phobos Lieutenant to make it more potent when his points cost comes down.


Hmm, sounds fun - but seems a little too easy to predict. You can't really drop the Librarian with that group since he doesn't come with deep strike, so he has to pre-set up for it which limits your options on deployment for the blob.

Also, you're not referring to combat squad correctly - it says before they're deployed at the start of the game, not as they deploy from deep strike.

But I think carbines might be a better option to other chapters, especially if you're going to stack buffs on the Reivers like Scryer's Gaze.
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




friareriner wrote:
Oldman Lee wrote:
Hi all

Anyone got any Intresting primaris dark Angels list that's not just the normal cookie cutter hellblasters blob?


You could try a deep strike bomb. Smash captain, Phobos Lieutenant, 6x Plasma Inceptors, 6x Dakka Inceptors, and 3 Supressors is just under 1K points.


Mmm that's Intresting
   
Made in de
Poxed Plague Monk





How would you make a smash Cpt with primaris models?

6k 6k
3k 1k
 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Had an interesting idea for my crimson fists which I think I may try. So use Pedro Kantor and run a battalion with the indomitus crusader detachment. Make 2 units of 10 intercessors veterans and march them up with Kantor and some hellblasters. You get your normal firepower and the bolter strat but not only that you get +1 attack and plus 1 attack for Kantor so veteran intercessors will be getting 4 attacks each and 5 for the sarge re rolling all hits!

Also having the banner of the emperor ascendant in another detachment and marching him up with them means everyone who falls gets a chance to fire again when they die, I think it could be tasty.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/13 12:09:14


 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





Rogerio134134 wrote:
Had an interesting idea for my crimson fists which I think I may try. So use Pedro Kantor and run a battalion with the indomitus crusader detachment. Make 2 units of 10 intercessors veterans and march them up with Kantor and some hellblasters. You get your normal firepower and the bolter strat but not only that you get +1 attack and plus 1 attack for Kantor so veteran intercessors will be getting 4 attacks each and 5 for the sarge re rolling all hits!

Also having the banner of the emperor ascendant in another detachment and marching him up with them means everyone who falls gets a chance to fire again when they die, I think it could be tasty.


yeah that'd be a pretty juicy CC unit all told.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

So I've been bumping my head on the wall with the idea of a Primaris focused Black Templar list, and was hoping to find some feedback on if this seems like a viable way to go with all the new options we've gotten in the last few months (spoilered due to length):

Spoiler:

+HQ+
Captain in Gravis Armour
+Master-crafted Power sword
+Boltstorm gauntlet
+WT: Grey Shield (-1CP for Indomitus Crusaders)
+Relic: Reliquary of Gathalamor
Total: 118

High Marshall Helbretch 150

+Troops+
Intercessors x10
+2 Aux Grenade Launchers
+Power Sword
+Veteran Upgrade (-1CP)
Total: 174

Intercessors x10
+2 Aux Grenade Launchers
+Power Sword
+Veteran Upgrade (-1CP)
Total: 174

Intercessors x10
+2 Aux Grenade Launchers
+Veteran Upgrade (-1CP)
Total: 170

+Elites+
Aggressors x3
+Auto boltstorm gauntlets
+Fragstorm launchers
Total: 111

Aggressors x3
+Auto boltstorm gauntlets
+Fragstorm launchers
Total: 111

Primaris Ancient
Total: 69

++Spearhead Detachment++
+HQ+
Primaris Lieutenant
+Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle
Total: 75

+Heavy Support+
Eliminators x3
+Camo cloaks
Total: 63

Hellblasters x5
+Plasma Incinerator
Total: 165

Hellblasters x5
+Plasma Incinerator
Total: 165

++Outrider Detatchment++
+HQ+
Lieutenant in Phobos Armour
+Master-crafted occulus bolt carbine
+Grav chute
Total: 86

+Fast Attack+
Suppressors x3
+Accelerator autocannon
+Grav chutes
Total: 105

Suppressors x3
+Accelerator autocannon
+Grav chutes
Total: 105

Suppressors x3
+Accelerator autocannon
+Grav chutes
Total: 105

Total Points: 1,955
CP: 10(-4)=6


I appreciate the help, it's been a while since I've played and I'm itching to get this crusade started.
   
Made in de
Poxed Plague Monk





where did you get this kinda detachment from? sry ive been out of the hobby for about a year

6k 6k
3k 1k
 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

 _Ness wrote:
where did you get this kinda detachment from? sry ive been out of the hobby for about a year

Which part exactly? The Grey Shield WT and the Veteran Intercessors come from the Vigilus Defiant book while the Phobos LT, Suppressors and Eliminators come from the Shadowspear box.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/13 21:18:21


 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Hey all, just wanted to post a 2000 point list I've been trying out lately and see if I could get some constructive criticism. This isn't strictly all primaris, but I do utilize them heavily and prefer the look of primaris marines and use them exclusively for infantry, with the exception of scouts, whose scale doesn't bother me as much next to primaris. I'm trying to build a list that has some power (doesn't need to be ultra competitive, just serviceable in an average casual meta), but while still looking like an aesthetically pleasing combined arms marine force. I don't face knights at all, so that's not part of the equation. We play book missions with progressive scoring or maelstrom mostly and maps with lots of cover and LOS blocking terrain.

Raven Guard Battalion

HQ

Primaris Captain with powerfist and plasma pistol (chapter master for rerolls)

Primaris LT with power sword

Troops

Bolter Scout x5
Bolter Scout x5
Intercessor x5
Intercessor x5
Veteran Intercessors x10

Elite

Redemptor dread with gatling cannons and storm bolters
Relic Sicaran venator tank destroyer with hunter killer missile
Reivers x5 with grav chutes and carbines

Fast Attack

Bikers x3 with storm bolter sgt
Plasma Inceptors x3

Heavy Support

Mortis contemptor with double twin lascannons
Relic leviathan dread with two storm cannon arrays

Flyer

Xiphon Interceptor

comes out to 2000 points exactly.

I form a fire base around the characters, and keep the inceptors and reivers in reserve. There is a bit of resiliency since everything except the sicaran has a minus one to hit at range. If the opposing army is a melee hoard, the fire base remains stationary in early turns and thins them out as they advance towards it with the scout squads screening in front of it. If its a shooty opponent, the fire base moves towards an objective (most of the shooting platforms either ignore movement modifiers or have native 2+ to hit, lowering the loss of firepower for moving). In the case of a shooty opponent the scouts don't need to screen and forward deploy on an out of the way objective. The xiphon can operate independently to attack heavy targets. The bike squad deploys behind the fire base to pop out later to either bolster the firing line or turbo boost on to an objective. The plasma inceptors deepstrike turn two or three to finish off a hard target the lascannons have softened up. The reivers wait till turn three when theres less fire power on the board to deepstrike on to an objective.
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




Question what's the best way for primaris to deal with Knights and heavy armour ?
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Illinois

Probably hellblasters combined with a librarian for null zone. The new librarian from shadowspear can take the tome of malacor for null zone and can infiltrate to get close enough to use it.

 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

I'd argue for Suppressors as well. D2 flat makes them pretty reliable and they have better range than Plasma Inceptors do. So probably both Hellblasters and those guys for max effect. Especially if you bring your own witch to Null Zone with.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





I look forward to the full release of suppressors, I am pretty sure they will be able to take las talons or some type of anti tank weaponry.
   
Made in fr
Fresh-Faced New User





Hi guys, in your opinion, which chapter is the best for a full Primaris army?

- Blood Angels? (best smash captain / best psy / best castle with Ancient + FNP banner + shield of sanguinius)
- Deathwatch? (KT units with agressors and inceptors)
- Raven Guard (-1 to hit / strike from the shadows)
- Crimson fists to maximise MSU?
- ...?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/15 16:49:20


 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

Deathwatch is a popular choice, with Daek Angels being a close second. Blood Angels would be better if you could take the new Primaris formation with them (3 attack Intercessors who wound T4 on 3s? Yes please!).

Personally I like Indomitus Crusaders + Black Templars since it lets them hit more like the lovable nutters they are. But any of the Vanilla chapaters benefit from the Grey Shield WT, even if you don't use the other options.

What I've been muddling over is power fists versus power swords for Veteran Intercessors (assuming re-rolls to hit of course).
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 ClockworkZion wrote:
Deathwatch is a popular choice, with Daek Angels being a close second. Blood Angels would be better if you could take the new Primaris formation with them (3 attack Intercessors who wound T4 on 3s? Yes please!).

Personally I like Indomitus Crusaders + Black Templars since it lets them hit more like the lovable nutters they are. But any of the Vanilla chapaters benefit from the Grey Shield WT, even if you don't use the other options.

What I've been muddling over is power fists versus power swords for Veteran Intercessors (assuming re-rolls to hit of course).

The power weapon is basically auto include IMO with 4 attacks - spending 5 more points to get a power fist is nice but I takes 4 units of 10 intercessors so that would be another 20 points...Can't really afford it and don't need it most the time. My intercessors are typically not charging multi wound units much.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

I'm running 3 units of 10 as Templars, two units of which are hanging out with Helbrecht so I have been on the fence about it.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 -Ekko- wrote:
Hi guys, in your opinion, which chapter is the best for a full Primaris army?

- Blood Angels? (best smash captain / best psy / best castle with Ancient + FNP banner + shield of sanguinius)
- Deathwatch? (KT units with agressors and inceptors)
- Raven Guard (-1 to hit / strike from the shadows)
- Crimson fists to maximise MSU?
- ...?


In my experience the best tends to be DW. Their intercessors are a very solid value and the fact that you can mix in more valuable aggressors and hellblasters into their squads is a big boost. They're very troop heavy which is good and their Watch Master is a pretty good value for what he does. The star foe me though does have to be the humble intercessor. The SIA does them a world of wonders and really lets them be a threat. For 1 point you get a big power boost over codex intercessors.

I have been thinking of mixing in some allied space marine detachments with the new suppressors and eliminators in a salamanders detachment. They can provide some solid anti character and suppressors seem decent in combination with hellblasters.

 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

I've been going back and forth on a lot of little details for a Primaris only army since the new stuff has opened a lot of room to maneuver for my Templars by letting me get more out of the Intercessors than I used to when treating them like a mobile bunker for an Imperial Fists Captain to support.

One detail was the fist versus sword question, the other is if the Heavy Plasma is worth the extra points thanks to it's higher strength and our current low number of anti-high T models options. The Autocannons certainly help by filling the S7 band with -2Ap, so is it worth taking the Heavy Plasma for S8 standard and S9 overcharging?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 ClockworkZion wrote:
I've been going back and forth on a lot of little details for a Primaris only army since the new stuff has opened a lot of room to maneuver for my Templars by letting me get more out of the Intercessors than I used to when treating them like a mobile bunker for an Imperial Fists Captain to support.

One detail was the fist versus sword question, the other is if the Heavy Plasma is worth the extra points thanks to it's higher strength and our current low number of anti-high T models options. The Autocannons certainly help by filling the S7 band with -2Ap, so is it worth taking the Heavy Plasma for S8 standard and S9 overcharging?


Never take the heavy plasma if you are aiming for efficiency. It's much worse than normal plasma. Once you get into RF with normal it skyrockets past the heavy version on top of being more mobile and cheaper.

 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

 Tibs Ironblood wrote:
 ClockworkZion wrote:
I've been going back and forth on a lot of little details for a Primaris only army since the new stuff has opened a lot of room to maneuver for my Templars by letting me get more out of the Intercessors than I used to when treating them like a mobile bunker for an Imperial Fists Captain to support.

One detail was the fist versus sword question, the other is if the Heavy Plasma is worth the extra points thanks to it's higher strength and our current low number of anti-high T models options. The Autocannons certainly help by filling the S7 band with -2Ap, so is it worth taking the Heavy Plasma for S8 standard and S9 overcharging?


Never take the heavy plasma if you are aiming for efficiency. It's much worse than normal plasma. Once you get into RF with normal it skyrockets past the heavy version on top of being more mobile and cheaper.

I'll be honest, I was looking at treating them more like Devastators: park them in cover with decent LOS and focus fire on targets until they go down. But that's probably old habits speaking.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 ClockworkZion wrote:
 Tibs Ironblood wrote:
 ClockworkZion wrote:
I've been going back and forth on a lot of little details for a Primaris only army since the new stuff has opened a lot of room to maneuver for my Templars by letting me get more out of the Intercessors than I used to when treating them like a mobile bunker for an Imperial Fists Captain to support.

One detail was the fist versus sword question, the other is if the Heavy Plasma is worth the extra points thanks to it's higher strength and our current low number of anti-high T models options. The Autocannons certainly help by filling the S7 band with -2Ap, so is it worth taking the Heavy Plasma for S8 standard and S9 overcharging?


Never take the heavy plasma if you are aiming for efficiency. It's much worse than normal plasma. Once you get into RF with normal it skyrockets past the heavy version on top of being more mobile and cheaper.

I'll be honest, I was looking at treating them more like Devastators: park them in cover with decent LOS and focus fire on targets until they go down. But that's probably old habits speaking.


If you want primaris to sit back and play devastator than the suppressors will be a better option due to never killing themselves and having twice the RoF.

 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

That's actually leading right back to my first point: with Suppressors in your army filling the S7 -2AP role is taking heavy plasma worth it?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 ClockworkZion wrote:
That's actually leading right back to my first point: with Suppressors in your army filling the S7 -2AP role is taking heavy plasma worth it?


Nope. I feel a mix of suppressors and hellblasters alongside dreadnought support are the ways to field anti vehicle atm if going pure primaris. My personal plan is to splice in two hellblasters in a squad of intercessors x6 across two DW detachments, possibly two twin las chaplain dreads and an outrider ally of space marines with 9 suppressors. I'm interested to see how it will perform in a non-competitive environment. Ally space marines being either salamanders for increased damage or raven guard to stay alive longer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/16 04:40:26


 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

 Tibs Ironblood wrote:
 ClockworkZion wrote:
That's actually leading right back to my first point: with Suppressors in your army filling the S7 -2AP role is taking heavy plasma worth it?


Nope. I feel a mix of suppressors and hellblasters alongside dreadnought support are the ways to field anti vehicle atm if going pure primaris. My personal plan is to splice in two hellblasters in a squad of intercessors x6 across two DW detachments, possibly two twin las chaplain dreads and an outrider ally of space marines with 9 suppressors. I'm interested to see how it will perform in a non-competitive environment. Ally space marines being either salamanders for increased damage or raven guard to stay alive longer.

Fair enough. My current list is BT using the Indomitus Crusaders formation. Still wrapping my head around all ways that I can use it (Veteran Intercessors using the Liberators dtrat while backed by Helbrecht seems like a lot of fun for example).

I'm going full infantry and no vehicles for now though. Mostly because Primaris lack enough vehicle options to fully benefit from taking them (via target saturation).
   
Made in de
Poxed Plague Monk





 _Ness wrote:
How would you make a smash Cpt with primaris models?

still no idea.

6k 6k
3k 1k
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






there is a gravis cpt with powerfist option. other than marneaus calgar he's your only option.


Primaris need a deep strike character badly.

JOIN MY CRUSADE and gain 4000 RT points!
http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG 
   
Made in us
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!






Georgia

 _Ness wrote:
 _Ness wrote:
How would you make a smash Cpt with primaris models?

still no idea.


They can't rules wise. But if you want run a normal marine captain and make him look like a primaris. I bought a box of vanguard vets with jumpacks and a box of intercessors, maybe some magnets and now I have all the special characters I could ever need.


My IG WIP log

40k is as exciting as riding a pony, which doesn't sound very exciting.......

But the pony is 300 feet tall and covered in CHAINSAWS! 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 Eihnlazer wrote:
there is a gravis cpt with powerfist option. other than marneaus calgar he's your only option.


Primaris need a deep strike character badly.


well they've got the Phobos captain and Lt. sadly they're not very good. the Phobos Libby might actually be the best "smash captain" primaris have with their force swords... course that's not to say they're ANY good.

what we really need is an inceptor captain.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Black Templar Chaplain with Hate to Spare




On the Internet

Well also have a Power Fist Captain with plasma pistol option if you're willing to track down the model or convert.

I don't see an Inceptor Captain filling the smash Captain role due to how GW seems to be making it a shooting platform. Maybe if they could go full Revier and could hop over units Batman style with a grapnel gun?
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: