Switch Theme:

Ridiculous mental images (supported by 40k rules)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Evolved Spambot





Elsewhere

Spoiler:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Verviedi wrote:
According to the rules of the game, a Land Raider can tank an amount of heavy stubber bullets that would deorbit the moon.
(2 million M2 Browning machine guns constantly firing for 90,000,000 years or so)


To be fair, we have tech that will de-orbit the Moon in a matter of minutes in the right circumstances.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

Basically, we'd need 5 billion or so of the world's most powerful pulse laser, enough energy to run them all continuously instead of in brief pulses, then we give 1 to each human who will be able to use it, aim them at the Moon together, and all push the buttons together.

This does two very interesting things VERY quickly.

1. 5 billion humans die instantly, as does most life on half of the planet.
2. The moon is now being pushed out of orbit.

In short order, a few more interesting things happen.

3. The rest of the life on Earth dies.
4. The Moon feths off and wanders around outside of Earth's orbit.

And very shortly after that.

5. Earth is uninhabitable and has no moon using technology we possess today (if we made about 5 billion of them and powered them all to full capacity, both of which are things we can't do today).

Not really relevant, but I heard "deorbit the moon" and I was reminded of this.

If you wanna tie it into 40k, basically what it means is that we have laser tech powerful enough that the Imperium could make an Exterminatus weapon out of a pulse laser created in the real world, today.

Anyways, carry on!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh, and about that example.

I'd say that a better example is that according to the rules of the game, a Land Raider can tank an amount of heavy stubber bullets that would wear away at a Land Raider atom by atom until there is nothing left of the Land Raider.

Because the correct number for "number of heavy stubber bullets a Land Raider can tank" is "infinity," therefore I'm pretty sure you could also say it could tank enough heavy stubber bullets to destroy the entire universe.

...I loved that book. And I kind of want to try that, now. Not enough that 5,000,000,000 people dying is worth it, of course.

Lavy - I think it's worth mentioning that I find both flavours of electro priests very sexually attractive.
CragHack - The book hanging on his waist is actually 'Fires of Cyraxus', doomed to be lost and never released :(
Peregrine - If you like the army buy it, and don't worry about what one random person on the internet thinks.
FudgeDumper - Very good ideas but I'm obsessed with the orc reproduction cycle and I want to represent it through my army. 
   
Made in ca
Confessor Of Sins





 Verviedi wrote:
Spoiler:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Verviedi wrote:
According to the rules of the game, a Land Raider can tank an amount of heavy stubber bullets that would deorbit the moon.
(2 million M2 Browning machine guns constantly firing for 90,000,000 years or so)


To be fair, we have tech that will de-orbit the Moon in a matter of minutes in the right circumstances.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

Basically, we'd need 5 billion or so of the world's most powerful pulse laser, enough energy to run them all continuously instead of in brief pulses, then we give 1 to each human who will be able to use it, aim them at the Moon together, and all push the buttons together.

This does two very interesting things VERY quickly.

1. 5 billion humans die instantly, as does most life on half of the planet.
2. The moon is now being pushed out of orbit.

In short order, a few more interesting things happen.

3. The rest of the life on Earth dies.
4. The Moon feths off and wanders around outside of Earth's orbit.

And very shortly after that.

5. Earth is uninhabitable and has no moon using technology we possess today (if we made about 5 billion of them and powered them all to full capacity, both of which are things we can't do today).

Not really relevant, but I heard "deorbit the moon" and I was reminded of this.

If you wanna tie it into 40k, basically what it means is that we have laser tech powerful enough that the Imperium could make an Exterminatus weapon out of a pulse laser created in the real world, today.

Anyways, carry on!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Oh, and about that example.

I'd say that a better example is that according to the rules of the game, a Land Raider can tank an amount of heavy stubber bullets that would wear away at a Land Raider atom by atom until there is nothing left of the Land Raider.

Because the correct number for "number of heavy stubber bullets a Land Raider can tank" is "infinity," therefore I'm pretty sure you could also say it could tank enough heavy stubber bullets to destroy the entire universe.

...I loved that book. And I kind of want to try that, now. Not enough that 5,000,000,000 people dying is worth it, of course.


I liked the one where he finds a way to cause a city-ending nuclear explosion by throwing a baseball hard enough.
   
Made in se
Member of the Malleus





Suppose I'll do a silly one that happened a year or so back. A chaos terminator lord stands alone ontop of a tall ruin (14" above the table) overlooking the battlefield. His terminator bodyguards are all on levels below him (closest being on the next floor, furthest on the ground). Far away he sees a Leman russ tank rotate it's turret and fire at him. He has no time to dodge and the shot hits him head on, blowing a huge hole in the ruin. It would have destroyed him on the spot if it wasn't for a piece of the building breaking and shielding him to then spiral down and land hard enough to kill a terminator on the ground who happened to be a little bit closer to the tank.

Curse the "closest guy dies" rule.

His pattern of returning alive after being declared dead occurred often enough during Cain's career that the Munitorum made a special ruling that Ciaphas Cain is to never be considered dead, despite evidence to the contrary. 
   
Made in us
Enigmatic Sorcerer of Chaos






locarno24 wrote:A chaos cultist champion using a comm relay to reroll reserve rolls......for daemons.

I mean, who's he calling?

"Thank you for ringing Skull Throne Direct. If you want to speak to a daemon prince in customer support, press 1...."


"Thank you for calling Comcast . . ."

2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
1750 Blood Ravens 5th Company
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Legion of Rusted Chains
2500 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains
2000 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court
 
   
Made in us
Da Red Gobo





USA

Marines having more individual people in their army than Guard.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/16 16:36:18


Good faith is a prerequisite for civility. In its absence, "Go Feth Yourself" is not only an acceptable response, it is the only appropriate response and, really, the only possible response. Social media isn’t characterized by rampant incivility because people have bad manners. It looks like that because epidemic bad faith makes nicer manners impossible. So stop arguing in bad faith, or don't be surprised when people tell you to go feth yourself.
My blog
 
   
Made in se
[DCM]
#1 fangirl of reasonable character proportions and really massive armor






The Eye of Terror. More specifically, Silvermoon City.

 Melissia wrote:
Marines having more individual people in their army than Guard.


Isn't it really weird that the Marine codex and formations basically encourage outnumbering your opponent, overrunning them and zerging them with MSU troops?

It's a real design headscratcher.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/02/16 16:49:56


Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-!@# comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That is why we need feminism, and why I am not simply egalitarian. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







How about this:

Bikes probably have all sorts of fancy targeting systems and stuff yet you cannot shoot their weapons while turbo-boosting, yet focusing hard and maintaining the mental discipline to manifest Psychic Powers while piloting a death machine at breakneck speeds is no problem at all.

Imagine if a White Scars conclave did an attack run on the Deathstar or so (hypothetical of course, let's assume they get jerbikes or so because why not?)

"Use the Warp, Subotai."

"Battle-Brother, you switched off your main targeting cogitator. Is everything alright?"

"Don't worry, manifesting Psychic Powers is its own phase. I'll manifest Flayerstorm now."
   
Made in ca
Confessor Of Sins





 Ashiraya wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Marines having more individual people in their army than Guard.


Isn't it really weird that the Marine codex and formations basically encourage outnumbering your opponent, overrunning them and zerging them with MSU troops?

It's a real design headscratcher.


I'll explain.

If they design LSM as a horde army, then they can sell more Space Marine models.

Space Marine kits are already more expensive than horde army kits, because people expect they'll need fewer of them.

So GW makes more money if they design LSM as a horde army.
   
Made in us
Da Red Gobo





USA

Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.

Good faith is a prerequisite for civility. In its absence, "Go Feth Yourself" is not only an acceptable response, it is the only appropriate response and, really, the only possible response. Social media isn’t characterized by rampant incivility because people have bad manners. It looks like that because epidemic bad faith makes nicer manners impossible. So stop arguing in bad faith, or don't be surprised when people tell you to go feth yourself.
My blog
 
   
Made in ca
Confessor Of Sins





 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

That's ridiculous.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/16 19:06:58


 
   
Made in se
[DCM]
#1 fangirl of reasonable character proportions and really massive armor






The Eye of Terror. More specifically, Silvermoon City.

That is what happens when you write a setting and make a game for it that flat out isn't compatible with it on an out-of-universe logistical level.

Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-!@# comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That is why we need feminism, and why I am not simply egalitarian. 
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




Like how entire chapters would be wiped out in one afternoon vs Tau.
   
Made in se
[DCM]
#1 fangirl of reasonable character proportions and really massive armor






The Eye of Terror. More specifically, Silvermoon City.

Every game containing IG or Tyranids is basically an automatic strategic victory for them from the outset. It's pretty funny.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/16 20:36:49


Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-!@# comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That is why we need feminism, and why I am not simply egalitarian. 
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




GW doesn't understand how big a galaxy is, or even how big planets are.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Abanshee wrote:
Space Marines being unable to run out of a rhino to charge someone, but having enough time to train their bolters at a target to fire upon said target.

*Marines stampede out of rhino*

*swords held high and proud above their heads*

*Freeze up all of the sudden*

*Dozens of "Error: you cannot perform that action" signs pop up*



Professor Oak: There is a time and place for everything, but not now!

The Good, the Bad, and the 40k:
Age of Sigmar major forces:
Hat tip counter: 1 
   
Made in se
Tough Traitorous Guardsman






This is an old one from the 6th edition Dark Eldr codex. A Raider with shock prow and flickerfield decide to ram an enemy vehicle with its shock prow, with its speed and prow its an easy pen but the Raider also suffers a pen from the impact. However the Raider makes it flickerfield save and no damage is taken and the enemy vehicle blows up.

The fun part is that flickerfield creates an illusionary double of the Raider thous giving it its save, and by that logic since the save was made the illusion is what crashed into the enemy vehicle and blew it up. xD


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Another wierd one is that you have to do a sweeping advance wich only benefit Marines.
"Ok boys we can do this and chase these guys away from this objective no need to kill them" wins combat, marines fail their morale test and starts running, roll for Initiative. "Wait why are we chasing them? Stop just let them run we need this objective" Wins the roll thous losing 5points in objective cards...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/17 03:39:02


 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





Quantico

 Bobthehero wrote:
 mew28 wrote:
I think my favorite is sternngaurd vets and guards men vets are as good at shooting. I mean surviving one battle compared to 100 years of constant training and battle are pretty much the same thing right?


Vets aren't vets after 1 battle...


2 battles then. Much more believable.

Angels 5000+ 21/6/1
Nids 2500. 4/0/0
Krieg 3500. 5/0/1
Vulkan 2000. 2/0/0
Nurgle 2000. 0/0/0 
   
Made in us
Junior Officer with Laspistol




pontiac, michigan; usa

Back when fantasy was a thing there was toughness 3 1 wound goblins. You know those things probably half the size of a man and weak and they were just as tough and strong.

In the case of Fantasy and 40k poison in fantasy effecting the undead whereas an ogre butcher was immune (i kid you not). In 40k being able to poison an artillery emplacement to death. A friend joked that the artillery cannon would turn blue, green or purple and gain "x's" on its eyes with its tongue sticking out.

Also one of my first favorites. Penal legionnaires with rending! Basically in the 5th edition guard codex it was very possible to roll up rending and even possible to take out a carnifex with one. Improbably yes but i wanted to model a downed carnifex with knife wounds all over it and a bunch of penal legionnaires on top of it. Realistically it is insanely stupid but it could be a legit thing back then.

Join skavenblight today!

http://the-under-empire.proboards.com/ (my skaven forum) 
   
Made in us
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard




The other day I took an Inquisitor with a double set of Daemonblades.
All told, he got +3 attacks from each blade, Rage and Furious Charge, and Poisoned 2+.
So here's an inquisitor charging in with 11 attacks, flailing his fists wildly to slaughter entire squads on his own - I had a Ministorum Priest attached, so he ended up killing something like 8 or 9 Orks in a single assault.
   
Made in gb
Emboldened Warlock




Leeds UK

I remember once that my wraithguard got killed by a dark eldar poisoned weapon designed to expand bones until the thing dies. Unfortunately instead of my wraithguard turning into wraithlords they died. Wraithbone should either count as bone and they just get bigger or it doesn't and nothing happens.

Ulthwe: 7500 points 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







 flamingkillamajig wrote:
Also one of my first favorites. Penal legionnaires with rending! Basically in the 5th edition guard codex it was very possible to roll up rending and even possible to take out a carnifex with one. Improbably yes but i wanted to model a downed carnifex with knife wounds all over it and a bunch of penal legionnaires on top of it. Realistically it is insanely stupid but it could be a legit thing back then.


Prison changes people, yo.

Speaking of old favorites, my old favorite from 5th edition was you could attach an Independent Character to Snikrot's Kommando unit and it could arrive Behind Enemy Lines with them, as the ability was granted by Snikrot to his unit, and it wasn't Outflanking as this rule was from 4th before Outflank was a thing.

So you could easily have these sneaky Orks sneaking a Bike Warboss or Mad Doc Grotsnik behind enemy lines. Yeah.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Battlegrinder wrote:
The inability to shoot into melee sometimes makes sense, sometimes not. For example:

The marine tactical sqaud had been ambushed by an understrength brood of termagaunts. Engaging in bitter, hand to claw combat, the marines slowly overwhelming the battered aliens, and one by one the termaguants fell. As the last pair of 'gaunts made thier final stand, the towering form of a carniflex appeared behind the marines, ready to unleash a torrent of bio-plasma that would leave nothing but scorched bones and melted ceramite behind......which it elected to refrain from doing, least it's attack also kill one, or worse both, of the termagaunts. The hive mind dared not take such a ruthless action, least the hive mind decide that the hive mind was too callous with it's troops and revolt against the hive mind.


And the converse of this: Terminators are locked in combat with a large squad of genestealers. A tactical squad equipped with a flamer is nearby - maybe it would help to bathe everybody in some promethium goodness to scrape some of the xenos threat from your battle brothers? Sure there should be some risk, but the upside makes too much sense.
We allow shooting into close combat with risks.
   
Made in us
Da Red Gobo





USA

 Pouncey wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

Orks are just as tough as marines biologically (in fact, they're probably tougher; marines can't exactly survive decapitation like Orks can), and just as strong as Marines outside of their power armor, and further enhanced by a powerful psychic field that makes them even tougher, stronger, and faster the more of them there are in any given place. It'd be entirely unfluffy if there were no Marine casualties, especially since any Ork army that's merely 100 Orks and yet costs the same as 50 marines is bound to include a lot of specialist units that themselves are very much capable of causing casualties.

Remember, not every model that is removed because of losing its last wound is *dead*. They're simply rendered incapable of further combat for the purposes of the game.

But compare that to 50 marines vs ~30-40 guardsmen, who stand a greater chance of winning than the Orks.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/02/17 18:35:04


Good faith is a prerequisite for civility. In its absence, "Go Feth Yourself" is not only an acceptable response, it is the only appropriate response and, really, the only possible response. Social media isn’t characterized by rampant incivility because people have bad manners. It looks like that because epidemic bad faith makes nicer manners impossible. So stop arguing in bad faith, or don't be surprised when people tell you to go feth yourself.
My blog
 
   
Made in us
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard




 Melissia wrote:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

Orks are just as tough as marines, and just as strong as Marines outside of their power armor, and further enhanced by a powerful psychic field that makes them even tougher, stronger, and faster. It'd be entirely unfluffy if there were no Marine casualties, especially since any Ork army that's merely 100 Orks and yet costs the same as 50 marines is bound to include a lot of specialist units that themselves are very much capable of causing casualties.

Remember, not every model that is removed because of losing its last wound is *dead*. They're simply rendered incapable of further combat for the purposes of the game.


Power Armor doesn't make the Marines stronger. Otherwise, Scouts would be S3, not S4.
Also, 100 orks does cost as much as 50 marines, if you give those orks Shootas. (Or, if we wind back to the last Ork codex, if you give those orks Stikkbombs.) Those are just standard, unequipped Ork Boyz with one piece of upgraded/extra wargear. And, it's worth mentioning, that we're talking silly mental images, not on-the-board tactics. 50 Space Marines should be enough to turn the tide of a war, 100 Ork Boyz is barely a rounding error when added to the Green Tide. But on the board, not only will the Ork Boyz win, they'll clean up and walk away happy.
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Pawnee, Indiana

Waaaghpower wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

Orks are just as tough as marines, and just as strong as Marines outside of their power armor, and further enhanced by a powerful psychic field that makes them even tougher, stronger, and faster. It'd be entirely unfluffy if there were no Marine casualties, especially since any Ork army that's merely 100 Orks and yet costs the same as 50 marines is bound to include a lot of specialist units that themselves are very much capable of causing casualties.

Remember, not every model that is removed because of losing its last wound is *dead*. They're simply rendered incapable of further combat for the purposes of the game.


Power Armor doesn't make the Marines stronger. Otherwise, Scouts would be S3, not S4.
Also, 100 orks does cost as much as 50 marines, if you give those orks Shootas. (Or, if we wind back to the last Ork codex, if you give those orks Stikkbombs.) Those are just standard, unequipped Ork Boyz with one piece of upgraded/extra wargear. And, it's worth mentioning, that we're talking silly mental images, not on-the-board tactics. 50 Space Marines should be enough to turn the tide of a war, 100 Ork Boyz is barely a rounding error when added to the Green Tide. But on the board, not only will the Ork Boyz win, they'll clean up and walk away happy.


Space Marines have never been powerful enough on the tabletop.

"That's Warhammer 40,000 where instead of using Victory Points to determine the victor you roll a D6 and compare receipts. Highest total receipts wins. I'm not sure what the D6 is for." - Abadabadoobaddon, on Reciepthammer 40k

"Actually if the PC/console games have thought us anything most of the noise from bolter fire is the firer yelling for the emperor every shot." - Joyboozer, on silenced bolters.

"It's better to just roll a D6 and discount anything I say on a 5+" - NivlacSupreme, on himself and his sanity. 
   
Made in us
Heroic Senior Officer





Woodbridge, VA

Going way back, the Chaplains Rosarius used to 'flash' when he made a save, causing stunning blindness or somesuch to all models within a distance determined by the strength of the hit against which he saved. At the same time we had falling rules where you could take a hit with the strength based on the distance you fell. Put them together and you get...

I'm going to start the battle by tossing my chaplain out of a Thunderhawk at 10,000 feet...

Don "MONDO"
www.ironfistleague.com
Northern VA/Southern MD 
   
Made in us
Da Red Gobo





USA

Waaaghpower wrote:
Power Armor doesn't make the Marines stronger.
The lore disagrees. In fact, the lore SPECIFICALLY states in NUMEROUS places that power armor, especially Astartes power armor, gives them additional strength. The tabletop is a poor approximation of lore.

Waaaghpower wrote:
Also, 100 orks does cost as much as 50 marines
Let's test this out shall we?

Barebones Pinion Battle Company of 50 marines:
1 captain, 30 tacticals, 9 assaults, 5 devastators, 5 scouts.
Total 761 points.

Barebones Ork Warband of 100 boyz
1 warboss, 84 boyz, 10 gretchins + runtherd, 1 mek, 3 nobz. total 100 models (working with the assumption that the nobz, gretchin, and mek balance out pointswise)
Total 668 points with sluggaz, and 752 points with shootaz.

So, WHEN the Orks "upgrade" to Shootaz, they pay another ~93 points and are still nine points shy of the Marine force. But wait! Since we're talking about upgrades, let's think about this more seriously. What Marine force would go completely barebones, without any weaponry even on the devastator squads?

Let's give them a relatively light, anti-Ork loadout: Five flamers (one on each tac squad, two on the assault squad), four heavy bolters (on the dev squad), and turn the scouts in to snipers. This is still not really particularly realistic for a force a Marine player would actually deploy, but it's much moreso than the barebones one at least. And it results in.... 830 points. Add in jump packs, a few power weapons, camo on the scouts, and this raises the Pinion demi-company up to over 1000 points-- without taking any heavy weapons outside of basic heavy bolters on the devastators (and really, the devs would probably take something more expensive over heavy bolters).

For the Orks to match that, you'd need to increase the boyz count by quite a bit, give each boyz squad a weapon upgrade (shoota or rokkit, probably shoota really given BS2) give them all 'eavy armor, purchase more nobz or other specialist units, etc.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/02/17 19:06:01


Good faith is a prerequisite for civility. In its absence, "Go Feth Yourself" is not only an acceptable response, it is the only appropriate response and, really, the only possible response. Social media isn’t characterized by rampant incivility because people have bad manners. It looks like that because epidemic bad faith makes nicer manners impossible. So stop arguing in bad faith, or don't be surprised when people tell you to go feth yourself.
My blog
 
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




NivlacSupreme wrote:
Waaaghpower wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

Orks are just as tough as marines, and just as strong as Marines outside of their power armor, and further enhanced by a powerful psychic field that makes them even tougher, stronger, and faster. It'd be entirely unfluffy if there were no Marine casualties, especially since any Ork army that's merely 100 Orks and yet costs the same as 50 marines is bound to include a lot of specialist units that themselves are very much capable of causing casualties.

Remember, not every model that is removed because of losing its last wound is *dead*. They're simply rendered incapable of further combat for the purposes of the game.


Power Armor doesn't make the Marines stronger. Otherwise, Scouts would be S3, not S4.
Also, 100 orks does cost as much as 50 marines, if you give those orks Shootas. (Or, if we wind back to the last Ork codex, if you give those orks Stikkbombs.) Those are just standard, unequipped Ork Boyz with one piece of upgraded/extra wargear. And, it's worth mentioning, that we're talking silly mental images, not on-the-board tactics. 50 Space Marines should be enough to turn the tide of a war, 100 Ork Boyz is barely a rounding error when added to the Green Tide. But on the board, not only will the Ork Boyz win, they'll clean up and walk away happy.


Space Marines have never been powerful enough on the tabletop.


Early 3rd ed was close, but they were miscosted. GW fixed that by pooing out the 3 shot starcannon and turning marines back into target practice.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 don_mondo wrote:
Going way back, the Chaplains Rosarius used to 'flash' when he made a save, causing stunning blindness or somesuch to all models within a distance determined by the strength of the hit against which he saved. At the same time we had falling rules where you could take a hit with the strength based on the distance you fell. Put them together and you get...

I'm going to start the battle by tossing my chaplain out of a Thunderhawk at 10,000 feet...


aand he fails that save .
"Plan B: crash and burn! Banzai!"

The Good, the Bad, and the 40k:
Age of Sigmar major forces:
Hat tip counter: 1 
   
Made in gb
Legendary Black Templar High Marshall





avoiding the lorax on Crion

Martel732 wrote:
NivlacSupreme wrote:
Waaaghpower wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
 Pouncey wrote:
 Melissia wrote:
Yes, we're aware. Still makes it ridiculous.


Why is it ridiculous?

I mean, prior to that, you had a force of like 50 Marines going up against 100 Orks and sometimes the Marines didn't wipe out every Ork with 0 casualties of their own.

Orks are just as tough as marines, and just as strong as Marines outside of their power armor, and further enhanced by a powerful psychic field that makes them even tougher, stronger, and faster. It'd be entirely unfluffy if there were no Marine casualties, especially since any Ork army that's merely 100 Orks and yet costs the same as 50 marines is bound to include a lot of specialist units that themselves are very much capable of causing casualties.

Remember, not every model that is removed because of losing its last wound is *dead*. They're simply rendered incapable of further combat for the purposes of the game.


Power Armor doesn't make the Marines stronger. Otherwise, Scouts would be S3, not S4.
Also, 100 orks does cost as much as 50 marines, if you give those orks Shootas. (Or, if we wind back to the last Ork codex, if you give those orks Stikkbombs.) Those are just standard, unequipped Ork Boyz with one piece of upgraded/extra wargear. And, it's worth mentioning, that we're talking silly mental images, not on-the-board tactics. 50 Space Marines should be enough to turn the tide of a war, 100 Ork Boyz is barely a rounding error when added to the Green Tide. But on the board, not only will the Ork Boyz win, they'll clean up and walk away happy.


Space Marines have never been powerful enough on the tabletop.


Early 3rd ed was close, but they were miscosted. GW fixed that by pooing out the 3 shot starcannon and turning marines back into target practice.


im sure a 1000 + ork war clan would make turns go quck..

excuse me while i slide my 4 by 1-2 feet mass of ork minutures,

Sgt. Vanden - OOC Hey, that was your doing. I didn't choose to fly in the "Dongerprise'.

"May the odds be ever in your favour"

Hybrid Son Of Oxayotl wrote:
I have no clue how Dakka's moderation work. I expect it involves throwing a lot of d100 and looking at many random tables.  
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: