Switch Theme:

40k codex release schedule rumor  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longrifle




New Orleans, LA

I think some units prevent you from falling back, so this would let you get away anyways. Not always going to be used, but it's a nice tool to have in the toolbox if needed Other than that, yeah, it'll make Stealsuits a bit more elusive and open up options for slingshoting a homing beacon closer to where you want it.

A strong man stands up for himself; A stronger man stands up for others. Be the stronger man. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






 BoomWolf wrote:
 Therion wrote:
So, am I reading this wrong or is it true that Dal’yth Sept units do not get a cover save if the opponent starts the game, because they only get a cover save for a subsequent turn after standing still for their game turn?

Seems like a trash tier trait, once again, unless I’m mistaken, in which case it’ll get a solid bump to ’mediocre’.


You are not.
It really is a very bad trait.
And its paired with a bad warlord trait.
Unless they stratagem is outright broken-nobody will ever play this sept.


As for the "wall of mirrors" stratagem

What's even the point?
Stealths has fly, they can leave combat if they want to anyway-and it depends on your positioning last turn to even be used.
In what scenario do you even bother with this?


Correct me if I am wrong but don't stealth suits only move 8"? Seems like a 12" redeploy with the ability to charge and tie something else up could come in handy. It isn't amazing but I know I have been bogged down before and wished I had more movement to get away even with fly. I mean you can also use it to redeploy from behind a ghostkeel much farther forward then your move may normally take you which again could be nice for getting your guns in range as well as grabbing objectives. Maybe I missread it though.

   
Made in gb
Wing Commander



London

Yeah wall of mirrors could actually be good - just not for the reasons that the people who wrote the article think. Catapulting stealths around the place is a decent way to tie up enemy tanks in cc, and it might work well with homing beacons if homing beacons still work.

Of course you should never give stealth suits or ghostkeels a trait that only works if they stand still. That would be absurd, especially if you plan on using a stratagem that moves them a really long way.

If they’d previewed wall of mirrors in the farsight update, selling it as a way to get your guys up close to things, to would have made rather more sense.

The always being in cover thing is decent for tanks (especially sky rays - if they are at all usable now), riptides and stormsurges. It’s not bad for infantry. It’s just bad for the units that GW thinks it’s good for.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/08 18:07:40


 
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard






Palm Beach, FL

Wall of Mirrors is also at the start of the movement phase, the stealth team can still move normally afterwards as far as I can tell..
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






 MasterSlowPoke wrote:
Wall of Mirrors is also at the start of the movement phase, the stealth team can still move normally afterwards as far as I can tell..


Good call, see no reason why not. That actually just made the ability extremely useful IMO. Thats potential for a TON of ground cleared. Also getting melta guns not only into range from a hidden position, but into 2d6 range would help a lot with AT. This edition I think stealth suits are looking much better then normal crisis suits at least to me, which is a nice change.

   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

Would the wall of mirrors stratagem count as a move for the purposes of that faction trait?
If not, could be a way to clear ground and get a save bonus.

What I have
LM
What I like stomping


Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in gb
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





UK

Mandragola wrote:

If they’d previewed wall of mirrors in the farsight update, selling it as a way to get your guys up close to things, to would have made rather more sense.
.


They didn't give the farsight strategem in their preview so I'm guessing some kind of buff after deepstriking for crisis suits





 
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





Seems like the start of 8th was "Hey cool, my favorite Legion/regiment/craftworld/hive fleet has actual rules to use now!" to "Okay, what broken combo of detachments benefits can I cherry pick."



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/08 18:49:27


 
   
Made in us
Glorious Grot Banna Wava




 Nightlord1987 wrote:
Seems like the start of 8th was "Hey cool, my favorite Legion/regiment/craftworld/hive fleet has actual rules to use now!" to "Okay, what broken combo of detachments benefits can I cherry pick."





TBF, it seems to be the case that certain factions have playerbases who are more attached to the "lore subfactions" than others.

Eldar, Orks, and Space Marines' playerbases tend to be the ones in my experience who really like to go for the subfaction schemes/lore, while I don't think I've ever met a dedicated "Kabal of the whatever pointy thing" Dark Eldar player or a Vior-la sept Tau player. Mostly, they seem to just go for a scheme. Guard is a little different because you do get a lot of people going for the unique models to create that specific regiment, but if you've got someone playing with cadians they'll often be a custom scheme and they don't consider their dudes to be Cadian.

It all varies, of course, but I'd say you've got the following setup:

1) Players of factions that are already official sub-factions seem much more likely to follow the default paint scheme (Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Blood Angels, etc)

2) Older main faction players seem much more likely to pick a canon subfaction (Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Eldar, Orks)

3) Newer/more newly revamped faction players seem more likely to go for a custom color scheme (Tau, Dark Eldar, Necrons)

its also worth noting that of course nobody's got an existing army that adheres to many of these septs/hive fleets, because in both nid and tau codexes GW is releasing a bunch of new subfactions that had never been mentioned before or fleshed out. Borkan is totally new, so is the one that was previewed today, and I thought like Hydra and Jormungandr were new in the nid book.
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Red Corsair wrote:
 MasterSlowPoke wrote:
Wall of Mirrors is also at the start of the movement phase, the stealth team can still move normally afterwards as far as I can tell..


Good call, see no reason why not. That actually just made the ability extremely useful IMO. Thats potential for a TON of ground cleared. Also getting melta guns not only into range from a hidden position, but into 2d6 range would help a lot with AT. This edition I think stealth suits are looking much better then normal crisis suits at least to me, which is a nice change.

It doesn't matter that it's the start of the movement phase. The Reinforcements rules are explicit that units arriving as reinforcements "cannot move or Advance further during the turn they arrive". And one of the FAQs is clear that anything that removes you from the battlefield and sets you back up on it is using the Reinforcements rules. That said, you can get a lot of distance out of the stratagem still because the unit only has to be "within" 12" of the Ghostkeel, not "entirely within".


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Nightlord1987 wrote:
Seems like the start of 8th was "Hey cool, my favorite Legion/regiment/craftworld/hive fleet has actual rules to use now!" to "Okay, what broken combo of detachments benefits can I cherry pick."

Well, yeah. It's not like any of the faction traits are so distinctive of a single subfaction that it's going to seem strange using one subfaction's rules (or a mix of subfactions' rules) while thinking of your army as really representing some other subfaction entirely. Like, it's not somehow unfluffy to set up a bunch of Ultramarines and say that you're using the Salamanders' rules for them. They seem very much designed to let you pick and choose whatever you think best suits your army, unless you're using special characters.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/03/08 19:12:03


 
   
Made in us
Hubcap





South Carolina, United States

the_scotsman wrote:
Borkan is totally new, so is the one that was previewed today, and I thought like Hydra and Jormungandr were new in the nid book.


Bork'an and Da'lyth have been around since at least the 4th edition Tau codex as part of the original 8 Sept worlds or "First Phase Colonies" This isn't anything new.
   
Made in gb
Wing Commander



London

 Nightlord1987 wrote:
Seems like the start of 8th was "Hey cool, my favorite Legion/regiment/craftworld/hive fleet has actual rules to use now!" to "Okay, what broken combo of detachments benefits can I cherry pick."

True. To be fair, this is because we never had to think about it before. We were Farsight or not, but we weren’t borkan or dalyth. And there was never (and still isn’t?) a colour scheme for each sept, because Tau actually use camo suitable for their missions.

So we’ve kind of got nothing to go on but the game effects. Or not much anyway. And in my case I’m a dead-eyed WAAC tournament junkie, so considerations outside of in-game bonuses are irrelevant to me.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





NE Ohio

The only thing that marks Tau septs are the black and white deathstar / moon phase symbol.


edit: proof reading, it's a SOB

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/03/08 20:24:18


Your basic Arachnid warrior isn't too smart, but you can blow off a limb, and it's still 86 percent combat effective. Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem, and put it down for good.  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

My Tau army has been collecting dust for a long while (how long has it been since Kroot rifles gave +1 attack?). It was extremely stealth-suit heavy (Shadowsun and 3 units of 6 stealth suits) with kroot as the mass of bodies, backed up by Broadsides for fire support.

Lots of infiltration, lots of added cover bonuses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will work again with this codex.
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





I have no I'll feelings about it either way. Just find it funny that Space Marine players have been ostracized for years when they switch Chapter Tactics despite a signature Color scheme, but as soon as the AM codex dropped all of a sudden Cadians everywhere could be from any Regiment.

Currently my Night Lords are being played with Alpha Legion traits because I like stealthy Night Lords far better than scary ones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/08 22:47:10


 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Nightlord1987 wrote:
I have no I'll feelings about it either way. Just find it funny that Space Marine players have been ostracized for years when they switch Chapter Tactics despite a signature Color scheme, but as soon as the AM codex dropped all of a sudden Cadians everywhere could be from any Regiment.

A big part of it is the fact that Marines can be any Marines, for the most part. They're also pretty damn easy to acquire thanks to having bulked up starter sets all the time.

Now, where do I get plastic Vostroyan, Steel Legion, or Mordians from?
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

 Nightlord1987 wrote:
I have no I'll feelings about it either way. Just find it funny that Space Marine players have been ostracized for years when they switch Chapter Tactics despite a signature Color scheme, but as soon as the AM codex dropped all of a sudden Cadians everywhere could be from any Regiment.

Currently my Night Lords are being played with Alpha Legion traits because I like stealthy Night Lords far better than scary ones.
It seems perfectly normal for the Alpha Legion to masquerade as Night Lords. It is literally their thing.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Kanluwen wrote:
 Nightlord1987 wrote:
I have no I'll feelings about it either way. Just find it funny that Space Marine players have been ostracized for years when they switch Chapter Tactics despite a signature Color scheme, but as soon as the AM codex dropped all of a sudden Cadians everywhere could be from any Regiment.

A big part of it is the fact that Marines can be any Marines, for the most part. They're also pretty damn easy to acquire thanks to having bulked up starter sets all the time.

Now, where do I get plastic Vostroyan, Steel Legion, or Mordians from?


Same warehouse as Plastic Sisters, Pariahs and Warhammer Fantasy 9th ed, obviously.
I miss having more than 2 regiments available.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/09 00:32:48


What I have
LM
What I like stomping


Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
 Nightlord1987 wrote:
I have no I'll feelings about it either way. Just find it funny that Space Marine players have been ostracized for years when they switch Chapter Tactics despite a signature Color scheme, but as soon as the AM codex dropped all of a sudden Cadians everywhere could be from any Regiment.

A big part of it is the fact that Marines can be any Marines, for the most part. They're also pretty damn easy to acquire thanks to having bulked up starter sets all the time.

Now, where do I get plastic Vostroyan, Steel Legion, or Mordians from?


Same warehouse as Plastic Sisters, Pariahs and Warhammer Fantasy 9th ed, obviously.
I miss having more than 2 regiments available.

Pariahs don't exist as units anymore and haven't been available for at least three editions now.
Age of Sigmar exists. Deal with it.

Also, there are still "more than 2 regiments available"...just only two(really one, since Catachans are Direct Only) in plastic.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






Dionysodorus wrote:
 Red Corsair wrote:
 MasterSlowPoke wrote:
Wall of Mirrors is also at the start of the movement phase, the stealth team can still move normally afterwards as far as I can tell..


Good call, see no reason why not. That actually just made the ability extremely useful IMO. Thats potential for a TON of ground cleared. Also getting melta guns not only into range from a hidden position, but into 2d6 range would help a lot with AT. This edition I think stealth suits are looking much better then normal crisis suits at least to me, which is a nice change.

It doesn't matter that it's the start of the movement phase. The Reinforcements rules are explicit that units arriving as reinforcements "cannot move or Advance further during the turn they arrive". And one of the FAQs is clear that anything that removes you from the battlefield and sets you back up on it is using the Reinforcements rules. That said, you can get a lot of distance out of the stratagem still because the unit only has to be "within" 12" of the Ghostkeel, not "entirely within".




Except nowhere in the stratagem does it refer to it as reinforcements. Further more, your not creating a new unit, nor are they arriving from reserves. Not really following you there. Perhaps after the FAQ it will change but I still see no reason why you can't move them as it stands.

   
Made in us
Poisonous Kroot Headhunter





So, uh... did anyone want to see Relics, Stratagems, Point Values, and More?


Way too much to break down myself, I'll leave that to the rest of you, but one thing I saw...

We lost Stimulant Injectors as Support Systems. It is now a 1 CP Strategy that only affects the largest of battlesuits (the ones with multiple profiles), allowing it to operate at the highest level (so for 1 turn, you could boost your Riptide back up to 4+ base). No word on if Stormsurges got the Battlesuit keyword, so, uh... that's interesting.

Dalyth's Stratagem gives JSJ to any one unit in your army. So the army whose tenet focuses on non-movement has a stratagem that involves movement. Heh.

We got an Orbital Ion Beam for everyone and a Sa'cea Orbital Markerlight Beam. Nifty.

2CP for the +1 to hit Farsight stratagem. Unfortunate, since it basically means its only going to be worth it when you bring a ton of Crisis Suits... which didn't drop in points at all (unless you were taking lots of BCs).

We have another form of Deepstrike-within-9" in the form of the Recon Drone Stratagem. That'll go over real well, I'm sure. Good thing we're utterly useless at melee, but Farsight Enclaves might enjoy more ways to deepstrike into +1-to-wound land.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/09 03:31:35


 
   
Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith



Colorado


Yeah saw them on 3plusplus.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Ute nation

Uplinked marker light seems a no brainer, like 1 cp a turn every turn. Command and control node is amazing, anything that lets you reroll wounds makes mid strength weapons great. Hot blooded is great, endless cacophony for tau infantry of the vior'la sept.

Outside of those no real standouts, a lot of fun ways to poke units trying to get into CC, and punish units that kill your units in CC. 12 warlord traits in neat, and something I hope they carry forward.

Necrons - 4k
Dark angels - 2k


"You know what they say about brute force, if it's not working you are not using enough of it" 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




TACTICAL TURRETS ARE FREE?! I just shaved 100 pts off my list.
   
Made in us
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine





Across the Great Divide

Dandelion wrote:
TACTICAL TURRETS ARE FREE?! I just shaved 100 pts off my list.


That's a big one. A funny one I saw is pulse pistols now cost a point.

Other than that not as money points changes as I was hoping for. Most things are the same as index. Rail rifles for Pathfinders are still not worth it especially with the buff to ion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/09 04:07:12


Forest hunter sept ~3500
guardians of the covenant 4th company ~ 6000
Warrior based hive fleet

DA:90S+G++M++B--I+PW40k07+D++A++/areWD-R++T(T)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




The funniest one is missile pod vs high yield missile pod. For one point more you get double the shots!
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob






Irridium can go on any battlesuit now?

ERJAK wrote:


The fluff is like ketchup and mustard on a burger. Yes it's desirable, yes it makes things better, but no it doesn't fundamentally change what you're eating and no you shouldn't just drown the whole meal in it.

 
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Stimulant Injector for 1CP is really usefull.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in cn
Regular Dakkanaut







 FirePainter wrote:
Dandelion wrote:
TACTICAL TURRETS ARE FREE?! I just shaved 100 pts off my list.


That's a big one. A funny one I saw is pulse pistols now cost a point.

Other than that not as money points changes as I was hoping for. Most things are the same as index. Rail rifles for Pathfinders are still not worth it especially with the buff to ion.


Excluding wargear; you still have to pay for sms/missile pod.
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

I really like that Sa'cea Sept Stratagem...Commander that seeds the battlefield with Markerlights! FREE MARKERLIGHT COUNTERS!
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: