Switch Theme:

Poorly-named factions  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Been Around the Block




 TwinPoleTheory wrote:
Pleasestop wrote:
Right? I don't get why your being such an ass, or why you seem to be making my argument for me Everytime you post only to angrily post that I don't get it?


Because the only logic to your argument is that you want comfortable, familiar, anglo-centric words that jibe with your rather narrow definition of what should be acceptable language.

Pleasestop wrote:
We're making the same damn argument!



No, you're really not. You're making an arbitrary judgement based upon what you perceive to be nonsense, he's pointing out that even the words you approve of because they 'make sense', are arbitrary, made up words, so your entire premise is a product of cognitive or cultural bias.

Pleasestop wrote:
Also, Shas'o isn't as valid as exarch, autarch, or Sargent as those are real English words


No, they're archaic Italian words, or French in the case of sergeant, but your cognitive or cultural bias is such that they seem ok to you.

Pleasestop wrote:
however both Tempestor and Primus are dumb and made up, although less dumb and made up as Shas'o, since that includes a ' which isn't used in noncontractive English words, and is liberally thrown around in Tau names instead of spaces, making it even harder to know how to pronounce them.


You mean names like, I don't know, D'Artagnan (he's kind of a well known classical European character)? Or any number of names that stick apostrophes in the middle of them all over Europe?


Dartagnan is french, not English. Which is what the game is written in. If I was in France, I'd imagine there's different names that correspond to french. In fact, the boxes go out of their way and say that! Such as the Dred Eud'la Mort.

Exarch, English - a bishop lower in rank than a patriarch and having jurisdiction wider than the metropolitan of a diocese

Autarch, English - a ruler with absolute power.

Maybe they were adopted in to English, as gasp, that's how languages work, but they are English words.

And I don't know why it's rascist that I think names like Stormtrooper is better than Tempestus? Or that commander is better than Shas'o?

But no one cares about that side of it, it's just let's jump on the fact that this person doesn't like "vaguely foreign" gibberish but prefers names like Stormtrooper or Commander or Deathleaper to Y'hvara, Tervigon and Tempestus!

But of course it's easier to declare anyone who you disagree with as rascist, without even acknowledging the arguments they are making! It's not that, maybe, as a tabletop game.that most people play maybe once a month and only a fraction of the players play the lore, that thinking some names make more sense than others?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 18:41:51


 
   
Made in de
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

Just going to point out that the vast majority of Tau commanders ARE called commander, and it is a couple of FW ones which are not.

Also Deathleaper is a named version of a Lictor, which is no more silly than a Tervigon.

 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in ca
Eternally-Stimulated Slaanesh Dreadnought





Rzhev

 TwinPoleTheory wrote:
You mean names like, I don't know, D'Artagnan (he's kind of a well known classical European character)? Or any number of names that stick apostrophes in the middle of them all over Europe?


D'Artagnan is, in fairness, a French character in a novel by a French writer. Mr. Darcy would have been a better example.

It's not a contraction, but my favourite is chief buffoon, arch-Brexiteer and model of Britishness, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody takes issue with the fact that you think some phrases make more sense than others. It is being pointed out that said opinion is based in large part, if not entirely, on ignorance.

Again, there's a very simple reason why Telemachus sounds like a weird forename to you and Jason doesn't. It's simple usage.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 18:49:58


The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,898pts painted (updated 18/09/19)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 07/10/19, ep9 - Разорение | Razoreniye | Downfall)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 18/09/19)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major who got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cause it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Pleasestop wrote:

Maybe they were adopted in to English, as gasp, that's how languages work, but they are English words.


Pleasestop wrote:

And I don't know why it's rascist that I think names like Stormtrooper is better than Tempestus? Or that commander is better than Shas'o?


Because you are literally telling anyone who opens this thread that you want English, nothing but English, and only things influenced by the English.

If you feth goats ironically, no matter your intent, you're still a goat fether.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Tervigon is a variation on an old english word for an overbearing or quarrelsome wife, which follows along with the latinate/old english naming convention for all tyranid units. AFAIK, none of their units have pure nonsense names, many of them just have the suffixes changed to "on" to keep them linguistically consistent.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Haighus wrote:
Just going to point out that the vast majority of Tau commanders ARE called commander, and it is a couple of FW ones which are not.

Also Deathleaper is a named version of a Lictor, which is no more silly than a Tervigon.


Also, for the most part (admittedly I'd never even heard of the FW tau ones before this) when they are called "Shas'o" it's because they're making a joke.

"Shas'O Kais" and "Shas'O R'yleigh" or whatever his name is are probably meant to be plays on the "OK" and "O'Reilly". Just like "Gue'vesa" is a play on "Guevara".

Also, apostrophes make a word harder to say? Maybe if you're familiar with a different european language other than english. In english you've got plenty of experience saying contractions, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Oh god, Shas'o, what do I do, how do I pronounce that?

Oh right, it's probably "Shass-Oh." Easy enough. Just like the apostrophe was never there!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 18:58:41


 
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine





Pleasestop wrote:
Dartagnan is french, not English. Which is what the game is written in. If I was in France, I'd imagine there's different names that correspond to french. In fact, the boxes go out of their way and say that! Such as the Dred Eud'la Mort.


Yes, well, reading is a solid plan, given I mentioned his European origin, not English.

Pleasestop wrote:
Exarch, English - a bishop lower in rank than a patriarch and having jurisdiction wider than the metropolitan of a diocese


Cool, since we're learning today, let's try a new word for you, it's called etymology, and it concerns the study and origin of words. The etymology of this word is actually Greek and Latin.

Pleasestop wrote:
Autarch, English - a ruler with absolute power.


Again, etymology, Greek, Latin.

Pleasestop wrote:
Maybe they were adopted in to English, as gasp, that's how languages work, but they are English words.


Actually, that's quite specifically how English works, ask the French how they feel about throwing new words into their language (they're rather famously picky about it). English is very flexible and easily integrates new words, and yet, here you are, complaining about new words, ironic.

Pleasestop wrote:
And I don't know why it's rascist that I think names like Stormtrooper is better than Tempestus? Or that commander is better than Shas'o?


Strangely I never said racist (not rascist, despite its association with fascist). Perhaps a better understanding of cognitive bias would be helpful.

Pleasestop wrote:
But no one cares about that side of it, it's just let's jump on the fact that this person doesn't like "vaguely foreign" gibberish but prefers names like Stormtrooper or Commander or Deathleaper to Y'hvara, Tervigon and Tempestus!


You started this thread, not sure much more needs to be said beyond that, but I will anyways, you invited this debate and consequently, its results.

"In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement in this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative."  
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Pleasestop wrote:

Right? I don't get why your being such an ass

Also, Shas'o isn't as valid as exarch, autarch, or Sargent as those are real English words -- however both Tempestor and Primus are dumb and made up, although less dumb and made up as Shas'o, since that includes a ' which isn't used in noncontractive English words, and is liberally thrown around in Tau names instead of spaces, making it even harder to know how to pronounce them.


Because ridiculous premesis should be approached with ridicule. And, importantly, I am ridiculing your argument, an example of which I've included in the second half of the quote here. Not you as a person. People can make completely ridiculous arguments, while not being, like 'Sub-human scum of the earth' or whatever. The idea that "Exarch" and "Sargent" are "real english words" while "Tempestor" and "Primus" are "dumb made up words" is just frankly the funniest little internet snit I've seen someone get into in a long time, and I'm just having a hell of a time with you giving examples of what's wrongbad and what's goodpure so really, I'd just adore if you could keep it up.

All of the words you just listed are bastardizations or appropriations of foreign words...like all of english, and all of pretty much every spoken language. And like..."Shas'O" has five letters. Two vowels. If I told you my name was "John O'flannigan" I would challenge you to argue that my name is less confusing than the pronunciation of "Shas'O."

And every Tau unit uses the exact same command rank structure, and all their ranks use the prefix "Shas". If I look on a datasheet and it says "The unit has four fire warrior Shas'las and one fire warrior Shas'ui" then, through the magic of context and having a brain, I can figure out preeeetty easily what a "shas'ui" is.

A quick google shows me that this lingo has been in the Tau codex and on their datasheets since the inception of the Tau since 2001. So I'm not saying you've had a little while to figure this nomenclature out, but I am saying if you had a baby when these confusing wrongbad made up words first appeared in the rules for 40k they'd currently be eligible to smoke and appear in adult films today.

   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




Pleasestop wrote:
Spoiler:
 TwinPoleTheory wrote:
Pleasestop wrote:
Right? I don't get why your being such an ass, or why you seem to be making my argument for me Everytime you post only to angrily post that I don't get it?


Because the only logic to your argument is that you want comfortable, familiar, anglo-centric words that jibe with your rather narrow definition of what should be acceptable language.

Pleasestop wrote:
We're making the same damn argument!



No, you're really not. You're making an arbitrary judgement based upon what you perceive to be nonsense, he's pointing out that even the words you approve of because they 'make sense', are arbitrary, made up words, so your entire premise is a product of cognitive or cultural bias.

Pleasestop wrote:
Also, Shas'o isn't as valid as exarch, autarch, or Sargent as those are real English words


No, they're archaic Italian words, or French in the case of sergeant, but your cognitive or cultural bias is such that they seem ok to you.

Pleasestop wrote:
however both Tempestor and Primus are dumb and made up, although less dumb and made up as Shas'o, since that includes a ' which isn't used in noncontractive English words, and is liberally thrown around in Tau names instead of spaces, making it even harder to know how to pronounce them.


You mean names like, I don't know, D'Artagnan (he's kind of a well known classical European character)? Or any number of names that stick apostrophes in the middle of them all over Europe?


Dartagnan is french, not English. Which is what the game is written in. If I was in France, I'd imagine there's different names that correspond to french. In fact, the boxes go out of their way and say that! Such as the Dred Eud'la Mort.

Exarch, English - a bishop lower in rank than a patriarch and having jurisdiction wider than the metropolitan of a diocese

Autarch, English - a ruler with absolute power.

Maybe they were adopted in to English, as gasp, that's how languages work, but they are English words.

And I don't know why it's rascist that I think names like Stormtrooper is better than Tempestus? Or that commander is better than Shas'o?

But no one cares about that side of it, it's just let's jump on the fact that this person doesn't like "vaguely foreign" gibberish but prefers names like Stormtrooper or Commander or Deathleaper to Y'hvara, Tervigon and Tempestus!

But of course it's easier to declare anyone who you disagree with as rascist, without even acknowledging the arguments they are making! It's not that, maybe, as a tabletop game.that most people play maybe once a month and only a fraction of the players play the lore, that thinking some names make more sense than others?
You have a cognitive and cultural bias, no one is calling you racist, but they are trying to point out the way in which your biases appear to be shaping your opinion. We all have those biases, they're a part of being human.

Side note: I know almost no one speaks Welsh, but did you know Pasg (pronounced Pask) in Welsh means Easter? So we have Tank Commander Easter, which makes me want to put bunny ears on him.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 19:30:39


 
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine





Drager wrote:
You have a cognitive and cultural bias, no one is calling you racist, but they are trying to point out the way in which your biases appear to be shaping your opinion. We all have those biases, they're a part of being human.


This, honestly, understanding this and how it influences opinion, perception, and behavior is very enlightening.

"In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement in this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative."  
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Also, so does reading the 2001 3rd edition Tau codex! Man, what a trip through memory lane. You know, before this scary annoying modern trend of giving units total nonsense names, back when the back page stat list for Tau units read:

Aun
Crisis Shas'o
Crisis Shas'el
Broadside Shas'vre
Crisis Shas'Vre
Stealth Shas'Vre
Shas'ui
Shas'la
Shaper
Kroot
Gun Drone
Kroot Hound
Krootox
Shield Drone

And before this silly copyright panic from GW when they added all these stupid made-up names for Tau subfactions, when the different septs were called

T'au (Awhaaaat, I thought they added the apostrophe because muh chapterhouse???)
Vior'la
Dar'lyth
Bor'kan
Sa'cea

Weird, it's almost like in successive editions they've had a tendency to add more plain english or latinate descriptive words and remove weird alien made up words to the rules of the xenos factions.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
also shout out to when Codexes told you to make custom terrain out of flowerpots and plasticard, included tactics and batreps, custom campaign missions and paint guides told you to "be inspired by your favorite movies!"

What a trip!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 19:40:10


 
   
Made in gb
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

Huh! Using flowerpots for Tau terrain, why have I never thought of that?!

 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in us
Esteemed Veteran Space Marine




San Jose, CA

Sterling191 wrote:
 chromedog wrote:
The "Warthog" name was coined because it's a "Pig-ugly" aircraft that spends a lot of time with it's snout in the trough (like any ground attack capable aircraft - also like the F-111 - referred to as an "aardvark" for the same reasons ).


And yet, when you really need one, its one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.



Nothing in the world sounds like 30mm GAU-8 decimating whatever it's targeting.

But back on topic.

I like the "native" names for non imperial factions. But I also like the low gothic translations/nicknames for them as well.

The Mitsubishi Zero is its nickname in english. Whereas rei-shiki-kanjō-sentōki is its actual model designation. The MIG-25 is actually Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-25 but its NATO nickname is Foxbat. Now, I have zero problem pronouncing either proper name, but Zero & Foxbat are easier than having to think off the top of my head trying to remember how they're pronounced.

Both ways are technically correct and since all of this discussion is about words that are only connected to the game are made up.

How about this;
M1A1 Abrams. does the name mean anything specific about its combat role?
OH-58 Kiowa?
BB63 Missouri?
MI-24 Hind?

They're called what ever they're called.
Get over not being able to pronounce stuff, you can just come up with something to call them on your own. Names are names cuz someone called them that. no special formula or reason, just cuz.

Drukhari=Drew Carey
Aeldari=Al Dary
T'au=Lame(jk)
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





For those of you arguing for pure descriptive English, how does this fit?

Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning.

This is pure English, with very few outside words. Back when there were 29-30 letters.

Because I'd rather use the system we're using now that this.
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 Excommunicatus wrote:
 TwinPoleTheory wrote:
You mean names like, I don't know, D'Artagnan (he's kind of a well known classical European character)? Or any number of names that stick apostrophes in the middle of them all over Europe?


D'Artagnan is, in fairness, a French character in a novel by a French writer. Mr. Darcy would have been a better example.

It's not a contraction, but my favourite is chief buffoon, arch-Brexiteer and model of Britishness, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody takes issue with the fact that you think some phrases make more sense than others. It is being pointed out that said opinion is based in large part, if not entirely, on ignorance.

Again, there's a very simple reason why Telemachus sounds like a weird forename to you and Jason doesn't. It's simple usage.


I'm sorry I'm ignorant of fictitious alien cultures?

Like, really? The Tau/Necrons/Eldar arent real, guys.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Pleasestop wrote:
 Excommunicatus wrote:
 TwinPoleTheory wrote:
You mean names like, I don't know, D'Artagnan (he's kind of a well known classical European character)? Or any number of names that stick apostrophes in the middle of them all over Europe?


D'Artagnan is, in fairness, a French character in a novel by a French writer. Mr. Darcy would have been a better example.

It's not a contraction, but my favourite is chief buffoon, arch-Brexiteer and model of Britishness, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody takes issue with the fact that you think some phrases make more sense than others. It is being pointed out that said opinion is based in large part, if not entirely, on ignorance.

Again, there's a very simple reason why Telemachus sounds like a weird forename to you and Jason doesn't. It's simple usage.


I'm sorry I'm ignorant of fictitious alien cultures?

Like, really? The Tau/Necrons/Eldar arent real, guys.


When you continuously make the argument "This is better because it's got real meaning, this is bad because it doesn't" and the reason you think the second thing doesn't is that you're just ignorant of what it means, the thesis of your argument is demonstrably wrong.

We all get that tau eldar necrons whatever aren't real. This is a thread discussing fictional names in a fictional setting. We're pointing out that the reasoning behind your judgement of quality is wrong because of your ignorance, and the only argument you can actually honestly make is "This is better because I like it, this is bad because I don't."

You have no objective basis for your claims. The various arguments made in this thread to attempt to provide some kind of objective backing for its starting premise of "I like this, I don't like that" are what we are proving false.

1) Names from the non-latinate factions are meaningless

2) Names from the non-latinate factions are extremely common in gameplay-pertinent areas and are confusing

3) Names from the non-latinate factions are more difficult to pronounce

4) The amount of names from non-latinate factions has increased recently, and have not always appeared in codexes

You're allowed to have a preference. Just don't try to invent fake reasons why your opinion is "the real truth".
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





Here here!
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine





the_scotsman wrote:
You have no objective basis for your claims. The various arguments made in this thread to attempt to provide some kind of objective backing for its starting premise of "I like this, I don't like that" are what we are proving false.

1) Names from the non-latinate factions are meaningless

2) Names from the non-latinate factions are extremely common in gameplay-pertinent areas and are confusing

3) Names from the non-latinate factions are more difficult to pronounce

4) The amount of names from non-latinate factions has increased recently, and have not always appeared in codexes

You're allowed to have a preference. Just don't try to invent fake reasons why your opinion is "the real truth".


Precisely this.

"In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement in this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative."  
   
Made in gb
Soul Token




West Yorkshire, England

If someone called you racist, you should definitely report that post.

Also, "Termagant" is an archaic term meaning "a violent, turbulent, or brawling woman."

"The 75mm gun is firing. The 37mm gun is firing, but is traversed round the wrong way. The Browning is jammed. I am saying "Driver, advance." and the driver, who can't hear me, is reversing. And as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich." 
   
Made in gb
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor





 Galas wrote:
Tyranids names are 100% imperial both the fleets and the units.



That was the deal for all the xenos at one point, the whole system was designed to be from humanities view point as they struggle on the knife edge of apocalypse. Since the #TMNamesMatter BS that came along during the death of Warhammer Fantasy every race now has stupid names that no one seems to refer to them as making their existence rather moot.


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Elemental wrote:
If someone called you racist, you should definitely report that post.

Also, "Termagant" is an archaic term meaning "a violent, turbulent, or brawling woman."


Literally no one called him a racist. Everyone has been going out of their way to make it clear that they're not.
   
Made in gb
Soul Token




West Yorkshire, England

 Mmmpi wrote:
 Elemental wrote:
If someone called you racist, you should definitely report that post.


Literally no one called him a racist. Everyone has been going out of their way to make it clear that they're not.


I know. But if he thinks someone did, the correct response is to report / block / move on rather than throw a multi-page wobbly about it, and drive this thread off a cliff.

"The 75mm gun is firing. The 37mm gun is firing, but is traversed round the wrong way. The Browning is jammed. I am saying "Driver, advance." and the driver, who can't hear me, is reversing. And as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich." 
   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




 Elemental wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
 Elemental wrote:
If someone called you racist, you should definitely report that post.


Literally no one called him a racist. Everyone has been going out of their way to make it clear that they're not.


I know. But if he thinks someone did, the correct response is to report / block / move on rather than throw a multi-page wobbly about it, and drive this thread off a cliff.
I'd hope that if someone said that something one did was racist the correct response would be the below, but maybe that's just me. I understand your point though, which seems to be somewhat satirical and no one was called racist in this thread.

(1) Consider if they are right, self reflect, even if it wasn't intended was it racist by accident?
(2) Consider if they appear to be trolling or if they appear to honestly believe what they said
(3) If you think they are trolling, report/block/move on
(4) If you don't think they are trolling, but it's off topic, maybe report anyway (for off topic, not R1 breach)
(5) Move on now you have calmly considered it.

   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Daston wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Tyranids names are 100% imperial both the fleets and the units.



That was the deal for all the xenos at one point, the whole system was designed to be from humanities view point as they struggle on the knife edge of apocalypse. Since the #TMNamesMatter BS that came along during the death of Warhammer Fantasy every race now has stupid names that no one seems to refer to them as making their existence rather moot.


I mean, on one hand it's easy to throw a snit about it like it's "PC Culture" but this is a multimillion dollar company that was told they literally could not trademark their IP in court.

You do that to any company, they are going to change things names to something that it is possible to trademark. Imagine if (this is laughable because in america companies own the government, but imagine with me for a second) a court told Disney they couldn't trademark Stormtrooper.

Or, better example, imagine if they told them they didn't have the rights to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

D'you figure they'd shrug and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Avengers movies and make sure every character is REALLY careful to call them Wanda Maximoff and...gak I already forget, waldo maximoff maybe? Remember how they did that?

Point being, for GW being the most profitable entertainment company in GB, chapterhouse was kind of a thermonuclear warhead to their IP. They lost trademark enforcement rights on Space Marine, StormTrooper, Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dwarf, Elf, Orc (but not Ork, which is why they're still called that in 40k), and a bunch of other gak.
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Yeah, as much as I don't like that much many of the new names (With others I are fine. Like Drukhari. For me, Drukhari, Aeldari, etc... are just like the fantasy Asur, Druchii, etc... ), I absolutely understand why GW does it.


The times of "Warriors of Chaos" has pass, boys. Is "Murderhost of the Everchosen" from now on.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos






the_scotsman wrote:

waldo maximoff


adjusts horn rim glasses

Pietro.

2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Skullfiend Tribe (Aqshy)
2000 Tzeentch Arcanites of the Cult of Searing Light (Hysh)
3000 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains (Allpoints/Azyr)
2500 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court (Ghyran)
 
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard






 Grimtuff wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Until this point in time I had never realized that the imperial guard vehicles have names of relatively similar monsters(Chimera, Basilisk, Wyvern, Manticore)

Wow. And it was in front of me for years.


And SM flyers all have weather effect + bird going on.

Thunderhawk
Stormbird
Stormeagle
Stormhawk
Stormtalon
Stormraven
Land Speeder Storm/Tornado/Typhoon
Fire Raptor (that's the only one that breaks the nomenclature IMO)


You know ‘Raptor’ is a bird of prey right?
Eagles, hawks, falcons - all Raptors.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 Dakka Wolf wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Until this point in time I had never realized that the imperial guard vehicles have names of relatively similar monsters(Chimera, Basilisk, Wyvern, Manticore)

Wow. And it was in front of me for years.


And SM flyers all have weather effect + bird going on.

Thunderhawk
Stormbird
Stormeagle
Stormhawk
Stormtalon
Stormraven
Land Speeder Storm/Tornado/Typhoon
Fire Raptor (that's the only one that breaks the nomenclature IMO)


You know ‘Raptor’ is a bird of prey right?
Eagles, hawks, falcons - all Raptors.


Yes. I was referring the the "fire" part. Which is not a weather effect in the same vein of the rest of them. It could have been a Cyclone Raptor, Thunder Raptor, Storm Raptor, Blizzard Raptor, Lightning Raptor (okay, those last two are a bit daft but they fit the pattern better than "fire".).



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

Yeah, Raptor doesn't just refer to a bipedal dinosaur, which, funnily enough, also happened to be feathered.

What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard






 Grimtuff wrote:
 Dakka Wolf wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Until this point in time I had never realized that the imperial guard vehicles have names of relatively similar monsters(Chimera, Basilisk, Wyvern, Manticore)

Wow. And it was in front of me for years.


And SM flyers all have weather effect + bird going on.

Thunderhawk
Stormbird
Stormeagle
Stormhawk
Stormtalon
Stormraven
Land Speeder Storm/Tornado/Typhoon
Fire Raptor (that's the only one that breaks the nomenclature IMO)


You know ‘Raptor’ is a bird of prey right?
Eagles, hawks, falcons - all Raptors.


Yes. I was referring the the "fire" part. Which is not a weather effect in the same vein of the rest of them. It could have been a Cyclone Raptor, Thunder Raptor, Storm Raptor, Blizzard Raptor, Lightning Raptor (okay, those last two are a bit daft but they fit the pattern better than "fire".).

Fire can be a weather effect.
We get fire storms in Australia, half are lit by people but half are lit by weather, lightning, sun or wind friction.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Dakka Wolf wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
 Dakka Wolf wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Until this point in time I had never realized that the imperial guard vehicles have names of relatively similar monsters(Chimera, Basilisk, Wyvern, Manticore)

Wow. And it was in front of me for years.


And SM flyers all have weather effect + bird going on.

Thunderhawk
Stormbird
Stormeagle
Stormhawk
Stormtalon
Stormraven
Land Speeder Storm/Tornado/Typhoon
Fire Raptor (that's the only one that breaks the nomenclature IMO)


You know ‘Raptor’ is a bird of prey right?
Eagles, hawks, falcons - all Raptors.


Yes. I was referring the the "fire" part. Which is not a weather effect in the same vein of the rest of them. It could have been a Cyclone Raptor, Thunder Raptor, Storm Raptor, Blizzard Raptor, Lightning Raptor (okay, those last two are a bit daft but they fit the pattern better than "fire".).

Fire can be a weather effect.
We get fire storms in Australia, half are lit by people but half are lit by weather, lightning, sun or wind friction.


"Fire is weather in Australia"

-Dakka Wolf
[Thumb - 1171801_0002_001_crop.jpg]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/14 01:56:07


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: