Switch Theme:

DJ's P&M Adventures - Dakka Graffiti Artists on Display  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in hk
Nasty Nob





USA

I have to echo gobert about how awesome your moth sniper grafitti is
Also, thanks for putting me in there too.

   
Made in au
Bloodthirsty Bloodletter




Australia

Love the graffiti work mate. Inspiring idea and well executed!

Terrain looking good overall, looking forward to seeing the pieces all together!

t z you are k 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

DJJazzyJeff,

The graffiti names are quite something.

Cheers,

CB

PS: Brain tumors really suck.

37 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Empire, Elysian and Tau armies looking for a new home. Un-painted Bretonnian metal army for sale.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






This project is really coming to life! You've arranged the graffiti in a really realistic way, the way the tags overlap each other. Excellent freehand work, super impressed with the moth!

My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here!
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Necrons); AoS/Fantasy (Seraphon/Lizardmen); Warcry; Marvel Crisis Protocol; Wargods of Olympus/Aegyptus; Mythos 
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

I’m going to post an update soon. It’s been a crazy week. But, the voting for the LoER competition is up. If you all want to participate, it would be great. You don’t have to vote for me, but your vote would be welcome.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/794774.page#11011371

   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

It's been a minute since the last update. Been a crazy couple of days. Working ~60 hours/week plus tutoring another ~10. Between that and the LoER competition finishing earlier this week, Mrs. Jazzy Jeff feels like I've been neglecting her. Probably not wrong.

I still have so much I want to do. So many more of you deserve shout outs than I've gotten to so far. But, it's going to be a bit longer until I get to the rest of you.

gobert wrote:Ok, so the Mothsniper tag is just genius!


Thank you.

amazingturtles wrote:Yeah, that came out really well! They all are, i've seen graffiti just like them on train cars, ha


I looked at a lot of different pictures of graffiti and used a graffiti text generator.
Here's also a neat resource: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-narrative-forge-painting-graffiti/
Graffiti generator: https://fontmeme.com/graffiti-creator/

Also, have you ever seen graffiti just like this?


Syro_ wrote:I have to echo gobert about how awesome your moth sniper grafitti is
Also, thanks for putting me in there too.


You are quite welcome. Thank you, for all your support.

tzurk wrote:Love the graffiti work mate. Inspiring idea and well executed!

Terrain looking good overall, looking forward to seeing the pieces all together!


Thank you. You're in there too, but the color I used isn't a very deep contrast from the rust orange. I'll have to touch you up.


Captain Brown wrote:DJJazzyJeff,

The graffiti names are quite something.

Cheers,

CB

PS: Brain tumors really suck.


Thanks. Yes, they really do. You're coming. I had penciled you on but painted over it to submit pictures.

Don Qui Hotep wrote:This project is really coming to life! You've arranged the graffiti in a really realistic way, the way the tags overlap each other. Excellent freehand work, super impressed with the moth!


Thanks. I plan to put you in there, too.


Some new shout outs:




I am really grateful for all the support sinve I've joined Dakka. The suggestions, comments, etc. have really helped. Much appreciated.

And a couple of group shots of the whole thing.







   
Made in hk
Nasty Nob





USA

That's some nice and characterful terrain, nice work getting it done by the deadline with that schedule. When the Pandemic is gone I would love to see those pieces in use on the table.

   
Made in gb
Skillful Swordmaster






Nice one DJJazzyJeff! Josh’s tag looks great, but Turtles’ is just out of this world! Living in Bristol, UK, it’s quite like some of the more artistic murals. The tea drinking is a magic touch! You got my vote in the challenge and have an exalt!

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in ca
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot






The tag name idea is genius, but your execution is perfection. I’ve definitely seen those tags all over the city! Dead brill.

   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






I love that freehand job on the turtle! AT is going to love that. This is a really cool project, helping build community, just right for the solstice season!

My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here!
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Necrons); AoS/Fantasy (Seraphon/Lizardmen); Warcry; Marvel Crisis Protocol; Wargods of Olympus/Aegyptus; Mythos 
   
Made in gb
Renegade Kan Killin Orks






Northern Ireland

Voted, not (just) because you asked me to but actually because this dakka community coolness deserves to win!

   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






That terrain looks so cool, love my finished tag Thanks again for including me!
And I gotta echo the others, Mothsniper looks cool, but the tag for amazingturtles is the bee's knees. Just amazing, the face, the tea cup, the pose
   
Made in hk
Nasty Nob





USA

Very true, the amazing turtles painting of drinking the tea is simply... well... amazing

   
Made in ca
Damsel of the Lady





drinking tea in the snow

I'm honestly just speechless! And also stunned. And also amazed. And a lot of other words.

I'm saying i love it. I love the turtle. It is me, 100%

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

youwashock wrote:Neat build so far on the Dread. Great idea on the terrain piece.


Thanks. Don't think I'm leaving you out, mate.


Syro_ wrote:That's some nice and characterful terrain, nice work getting it done by the deadline with that schedule. When the Pandemic is gone I would love to see those pieces in use on the table.

Me too, Syro. Me too.

gobert wrote:Nice one DJJazzyJeff! Josh’s tag looks great, but Turtles’ is just out of this world! Living in Bristol, UK, it’s quite like some of the more artistic murals. The tea drinking is a magic touch! You got my vote in the challenge and have an exalt!


Thank you

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll wrote:The tag name idea is genius, but your execution is perfection. I’ve definitely seen those tags all over the city! Dead brill.


Thanks. I had to look up "dead brill". Get it now.

Don Qui Hotep wrote:I love that freehand job on the turtle! AT is going to love that. This is a really cool project, helping build community, just right for the solstice season!


Thanks. That's the idea, anyway.

theCrowe wrote:Your graffiti research really paid off! And such a fun tribute to your dakka peeps. Not only does it look great but its a sweet way to give back for the support and encouragement. Top idea and super well executed.


theCrowe wrote:Voted, not (just) because you asked me to but actually because this dakka community coolness deserves to win!


Thank you. I'd be amiss if I didn't include a tribute to you. Your Sculpting for the Kids thread is absolutely fantastic. I found it when I was going through a tough spot and it helped. So:

They're not done. Need some touch up around the eyes and some other little effects. But, the Square Cops make an appearance!

Viterbi wrote:That terrain looks so cool, love my finished tag Thanks again for including me!
And I gotta echo the others, Mothsniper looks cool, but the tag for amazingturtles is the bee's knees. Just amazing, the face, the tea cup, the pose


My pleasure, thank you for the support.

amazingturtles wrote:I'm honestly just speechless! And also stunned. And also amazed. And a lot of other words.

I'm saying i love it. I love the turtle. It is me, 100%


I'm pleased. And thrilled. And honored. And several other words.


One other shout out of note:


Many of the little tags here and there are former winners of the LoER Challenge, and therefore members of the League of Extraordinary Riveters.
Speaking of which, the vote for the popular favorite is still up for another couple of days. If you haven't already, I encourage you to go over there and check it out. I'm currently tied for first place with Mothsniper, who did a hell of a job on his mirror-tunnel. It's truly awesome.
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/794774.page#11016062

Thank you all again for the support.

Cheers,
Jeff

   
Made in gb
Renegade Kan Killin Orks






Northern Ireland

Glad you got some positive vibes off the project and the boy is delighted that Nop & Dop have made it to America!

Thanks for the shout out. Most sculpting for the kids has shifted into Burrows and Badgers territory these days but there's always the potential for odd requests from these two that are well worth making.

Sad to see you missed the top spot by a single vote with these. I thought you had the win for sure.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/01/08 23:56:27


   
Made in ca
Damsel of the Lady





drinking tea in the snow

Woo square cops! More excellent work.

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

Shots of the whole squad so far. Have a pile of plastic in various stages on the bench. I hope to get some tie to finish things off.
The terrain is my biggest achievement.



The Eliminators hiding amongst the pipes, waiting for a clear shot.


Termies and Suppressors looking to lay down some firepower.


The Captain in the thick of it. Still need to make him a game legal base.


Lieutenant out front, leading the charge.


Coming up n 2021: A couple of librarians, including the long-anticipated female Librarian conversion.
A Primaris Chaplain
A Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought
Some more Reivers, Incursors, and a Hellblaster squad

Easily a dozen Gaslands cars I have cut apart, made weapons for, but not touched with a paintbrush.
And Truckasaurus/Truckzilla.

Plus, Judge Dredd Helter Skelter minis on the way.

Should be a good hobby year around here.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Surrey, BC - Canada

Nice work DJJazzyJeff.

Cheers,

CB

37 successful trades in the Dakka Swap Shop. I have an ongoing Sale Thread there with painted Empire, Elysian and Tau armies looking for a new home. Un-painted Bretonnian metal army for sale.
Finished Forge World Elysian Army | Finished Tau Sept Cadre | Finished Ork Waaagh | Alaitoc Eldar Warhost | Building Necromunda and Terrain
Finished Order of Our Martyred Lady - Sisters of Battle | Finished Necromundian Imperial Guard Regiment | Finished a 1/72 Flower Class Corvette - HMCS CHILLIWACK
DC:70S++G+M++B+I++PW40k-89-+D+++++A+++/aWD088R+T(M)DM+  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Oodalalee! I am honored to be included in this, frankly, rather touching hobby display. The various tags look great. Marvelous paintwork, and a fantastic idea. This level of personal touch and investment is awesome to see.
   
Made in hk
Nasty Nob





USA

I love that I didn't notice your eliminators in the first two pictures until you mentioned them in the third, then I went back as saw them. It shows you painted them to do their job well.
I like your display, thanks for sharing. And it sounds like a full year coming up with those plans.

   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Gotta echo Syro_, those Eliminators are hiding very well, good Camo Cloaks
Really cool seeing all the marines and the terrain pieces together. That force is coming along nicely and look amazing in rank. Good luck in getting your goals for 2021 done!
   
Made in gb
Skillful Swordmaster






Great group shots, the terrain looks great for 40k, we need to see it with your gas lands stuff soon too. The eliminators really do blend in with their environment too, sneaky

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

My hobby time right now is suffering from some super ADD. I'm all over the place. Lots of irons in the fire, as it were.

Got my dreadnought primed. Hopefully it will see some paint soon.


Some other dudes, a pile of hellblaster plasma guns ready for osl effects. Plus, a glimpse at what the bench looks like.


I was going to cut up this guy for Truckzilla's arms, etc. It's an awkward build. Backwards in my head. The arms are what the legs should be and vice versa. Plus, my kid played with him a bunch years ago and lost the hands and a few other pieces.

But, then I found this cheap, cartoony looking Starscream.

I'm going to have a go at him first. I figure if I'm relatively careful, he'll have some wings and little bits I can use for some Captain Brown-esque terrain platforms.

Going to use this little forklift as a hand and claws, if I can get it to fit right.





I decided to give my Librarians gold cloaks. I have a Primaris Librarian that will be done up as an exceedingly old man.
Then I have a Battle Sister that has gotten some conversion, still needs a force stave, but will be his apprentice. A powerful psyker in his own right, he sensed her latent ability and took a chance at risking the ire of the Chief Librarian and the entire Adeptes Brisonius Chapter by bringing a young woman into the Chapter's Librarius.
The tests she underwent were exceptionally, perhaps even in some cases brutally, thorough and exacting. She passed them all. Through her exploits in battle, she has earned the esteem of her battle-brothers and none now look upon her as an outsider. Many treat her as the little sister they never had. At least, the little sister who could vaporize them with a thought. The little sister who fights at their side against the forces of Heresy and Chaos throughout the galaxies.
Would any of the Space Marines in the chapter put a bolt through your brain for even looking at her the wrong way? No. But only because she would put a bolt through your heart first.


The gold cloaks need some work, these shots are very WIP (Hence the missing heads). Not sure what to do with all the chains and relics and emblems. I have done those bits gold on the marines, but they get lost against the cloaks. I might do silver or black to look like iron or something. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there materials in the far future more rare and precious than gold?



And my chapter gets a chaplain.

Doing the paint to mimic the liturgical colors of a Catholic priest. (I happen to be Catholic). Anyway, purple is the litugical color of penance used in Advent and Lent. So, I went with purple robes since he's bringing atonement and expiation to heretics. Sometimes with his absolver bolt pistol, sometimes with his crozius arcanum, but always with immovable determination and ironclad loyalty to the God Emperor of Mankind.



This came in. Looking forward to some gaming. Maybe a couple of solo missions with a space marine to hold me over until I can actually gather and play with other people. It's just me and the wife at home, and she's not into the game. She thinks it looks cool and is happy for me, but there are too many rules and too many little pieces she can't see without her glasses.



And this arrived.

And this.

Haven't even torn the cellophane. I don't have anywhere to unbox it at the moment. I've completely buried my bench in projects, and stacked bins of Christmas decorations over much of the garage. I have to at least put the latter up in the attic before Mrs. Jazzy Jeff will let me open the box all over the kitchen table.


And finally, a coworker gave me several sheets of this. He works at another job where they make medical equipment of some kind. I must admit I wasn't really paying much attention until he described the packaging that they use to ship some of the parts. I think I can use these to make a carrying case out of a tool or tackle box or something. Anyone have a carrying case or plans for one? I'm not exactly sure how to start organizing it.



Well, that's all for now. Like I said, all over the place. I keep telling myself I'm going to focus and finish something, but then I see something else and work on that instead.

Hey, look! A squirrel!

   
Made in gb
Skillful Swordmaster






You weren’t kidding on the variety jazzy! The Librarian, Chaplain and Mrs Librarian are looking great already. Neat idea to borrow the look from the papacy, he looks really cool with the white too

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and mini-Marines, Indomitus soon... hopefully! 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Ok, that is a lot of stuff on your desk right now But don't worry too much. If you keep at everything a bit for the next time, suddenly you have a lot of finished stuff and didn't get bored on the way, because you focused on this one squad or one robot...
   
Made in gb
Renegade Kan Killin Orks






Northern Ireland

I vote black beads with silver danglies against the gold cloth.

I've also been improvising foam carry cases out of packing foam and spare cushion foam for years. I cut slots along in lengths with a little trench above. The base slips into the slot and holds the mini in place and the trench provides a little reces to lie in. They all lie in neat rows side by side and if you have some foam on the lid to rest down on top they'll be reasonably imobile. I'll take a pick of some to show you.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






I LIKE that Chaplain! Lots on the go, for sure. Can't wait for the Dredd stuff to have its day.
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

I saved dozens of sheets of that exact same foam from the hospital when I worked their and the scopes would be delivered.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines





Lafayette, CO, USA

Captain Brown wrote:Nice work DJJazzyJeff.

Cheers,

CB


Thanks

youwashock wrote:Oodalalee! I am honored to be included in this, frankly, rather touching hobby display. The various tags look great. Marvelous paintwork, and a fantastic idea. This level of personal touch and investment is awesome to see.


The honor is mine. It's been really helpful through the last, tough year to have a creative outlet and supportive people.

Syro_ wrote:I love that I didn't notice your eliminators in the first two pictures until you mentioned them in the third, then I went back as saw them. It shows you painted them to do their job well.
I like your display, thanks for sharing. And it sounds like a full year coming up with those plans.


Viterbi wrote:Gotta echo Syro_, those Eliminators are hiding very well, good Camo Cloaks
Really cool seeing all the marines and the terrain pieces together. That force is coming along nicely and look amazing in rank. Good luck in getting your goals for 2021 done!


Haha, the cloaks work!

gobert wrote:Great group shots, the terrain looks great for 40k, we need to see it with your gas lands stuff soon too. The eliminators really do blend in with their environment too, sneaky


Yes, I'll have to get some shots of Gaslands stuff.

gobert wrote:You weren’t kidding on the variety jazzy! The Librarian, Chaplain and Mrs Librarian are looking great already. Neat idea to borrow the look from the papacy, he looks really cool with the white too


Well, the white was the primer. Most of it will be covered up by other colors, so hopefully that isn't your favorite part . . .

Viterbi wrote:Ok, that is a lot of stuff on your desk right now But don't worry too much. If you keep at everything a bit for the next time, suddenly you have a lot of finished stuff and didn't get bored on the way, because you focused on this one squad or one robot...


That's my plan. Struggling to make any of what feels like progress, but hopefully I'll sit up one day with rows of neat completed figures.

theCrowe wrote:I vote black beads with silver danglies against the gold cloth.

I've also been improvising foam carry cases out of packing foam and spare cushion foam for years. I cut slots along in lengths with a little trench above. The base slips into the slot and holds the mini in place and the trench provides a little reces to lie in. They all lie in neat rows side by side and if you have some foam on the lid to rest down on top they'll be reasonably imobile. I'll take a pick of some to show you.


Black and silver are a good idea. I don't have any "silver" paint, might have to do either nmm or go get some. Will Mrs. Jazzy Jeff be enthused about another hobby purchase?
I'd be interested in pictures. I can't seem to rap my head around what I'm doing with them.

youwashock wrote:I LIKE that Chaplain! Lots on the go, for sure. Can't wait for the Dredd stuff to have its day.


I'm looking forward to it as well. I got the garage sorted out. I told myself I would wait until I got something finished, so as not to have another work in progress. We'll see how long that determination holds out.

Theophony wrote:I saved dozens of sheets of that exact same foam from the hospital when I worked their and the scopes would be delivered.


I just couldn't pass it up.


And, The dreadnought got some paint. Not much, but a base layer counts as paint.
The Chaplain got some attention last night. Not sold on the pink stole. Well, the liturgical color is Rose, technically.
But, it's either purple or rose, they wouldn't be worn at the same time.
I think I'll make it purple with gold filigree/writing/etc.

[Thumb - IMG_3693.jpeg]

[Thumb - IMG_3696.jpeg]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/21 01:12:24


   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: