Will do. Once I get setup and try a test paint session I'll do up a post of the whole experience.
I do want to share my current display case setup now that it's somewhat complete. Over the past two months I've been getting setup and moved into my new apartment and I ended up selling the two detolf cases I had years ago that were in storage. I looked around a few retail display case shops for suitable options but because of costs and the hassle of delivery (some required a commercial loading dock and freight delivery) I decided on going back to Ikea to buy the display case.
I ended up picking up the Ikea Milsbo in Anthracite (https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-30396448/
) for a pretty decent price of $229 CAD
- and best of all the packages fit in the back of my car without any issues. I really like the legs which elevate the case off the floor and the locking feature. Also useful is that the shelves can be set a different heights of the case as they rest of these adjustable pegs which are screwed into the sides of the frame.
Some cons are that the frame in the middle is a bit wider than I like which obstructs the view a bit and the legs of the case flares out meaning you can't put two of these side by side to have the edges be flush against each other. Also I do wish you had to option of buying additional shelves from Ikea as I found out later the 4 shelves do not provide enough room for my entire collection of painted models. The way the glass shelves are designed make it harder to get glassier shops to custom cut them as the corners are chamfered so they can rest on the pegs.
Anyhow, after a evening of assembling I was left with this:
Not too shabby...the next day I pulled out my models from storage for test fitting:
This is when I realized I had much more in my collection than I remembered
This all just meant I had to be more selective with my model choice for showcasing...
What's a good hobby post without modding advice?
There were two problems with the Milsbo I wanted to tackle:
1. Dust Sealing:
After assembly I discovered the case has some large gaps around the door frame. This is an known issue with the detolfs as well and over time, dust can get into the case if sealing mods are not done. I wanted to make sure this new Milsbo case was well sealed to reduce the amount of cleaning I would need to do. To do this I use the same solution many Detolf owners use which is adhesive weather stripping. I ended up two types:
- 3/8" wide and 1/8" thick for the door sides and middle gap (the sides need a bit more room for the doors to open close and the gap between the two front doors were small enough that the 1/8" seal was perfect
- 3/8" wide and 5/16" thick for the top and bottoms of the doors (this gap was a bit bigger and the thicker foam ensures a tight seal)
The sealing was applied to the back and sides of the front doors so it's pretty much invisible to the viewer with the doors closed. They can be seen in the later pictures showing the side LED lighting.
2. Internal Lighting:
I also wanted to do some custom lighting to brighten things up in the evenings. I know Ikea sells some ready made ones but I felt none of them would be suitable for the case and I wanted a more bespoke solution. I ended up picking up the following parts from Amazon:
- Lepro LED Strip Lights (16.4 ft
3000k-6000k tunable white) SMD 2835. Looking back these are a waste as I'll be replacing them with some SMD 3014 204leds/m. The colour temp adjustment is not necessary as I found I didn't need the adjustment and most of it is not that noticeable after it's placed behind the aluminum railing with diffuser. These LEDs also require 3 wires (instead of 2) which makes soldering them more of a chore.
- LED Aluminum Channel with Cover. These worked great with the LED strip lights as the cover diffuses the light evenly into the case and the width of the channels are perfectly sized to place in the front corners of the case. I ended up cutting the channels to size (hobby hacksaw FTW
!) for each of the shelf heights and then securing them to the inside using 3M velcro tape. Each section was soldered to each other with a break in the top corners where I used hot swap sockets for a temporary connection. The 3M velcro allows the side lights to be securely attached while easily detached for maintenance or readjustment while the top LED channels were secured using magnets (the top panel of the case is steel while the sides are aluminum - otherwise I would have used magnets all around).
Pic showing the connection for the side/top corner and the foam weather seal on the inside of the door (note the taped magnet for the loose wires so it doesn't hang down
Pic showing the side LED channels:
Also not pictured is the LEDs are wired to a smart plug which is scheduled for a timer to turn on/off in the evenings/midnight and allows me to manually control it via google home.
And the fully sealed, lit and filled case:
I managed to cram most of my models in there but lot of my older tanks and troops didn't make it. Here's a quick pic of the troop rejects pile:
(these guys are all magnetized and stored in these plastic storage boxes with tin sheets glued to the bottom which is a much more space efficient way of storing troops!).
Still to do for the case mods are to replace the current LEDs with the currently in transit SMD 3014 LED strips, resolder everything using black wires (which will blend in better) and put in the end caps onto the LED channels.