Switch Theme:

Graven's Bloggit: Enforcer Pathfinders and more scatter terrain (Deadzone/Firefight/Warpath)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Incorporating Wet-Blending





Japan


JoshInJapan wrote:I love your work on the Veer-myn. I got my son the starter set for Xmas. Combined with my Projectandora set, we have a pretty good start on a warband. Sadly, he doesn't enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby as much as I do, so we have a bunch of assembled and primed models sitting and gathering dust. Maybe once his spring vacation starts I can get him to start...
I'm jealous that you can visit both Mantic and GW. Being on the other side of the world poses and insurmountable obstacle for me.

Well, I have a similar problem with my kids tbh. My current thinking is get the younger to drybrush the GCPS with a dark green for easy master chief style paint scheme.
In 30+ years of being a gamer, I've never made the pilgrimage, so really it's about time. Mind you, I've never made it to Japan either


He won't do his painting, but he's always willing to throw down, so even in the midst of the pandemic I'm getting in a lot of games. Re: Warhammer World, I'll get there someday, maybe once I've retired...

You were supposed to say that Core Space is borderline unplayable. I've been on the fence for a while now, and have managed to resist the urge to pick up yet another game. You've just made it that much more difficult for me...
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Mostly, on my phone.

Paradigm wrote:Nice to see it's not just me falling down a Marvel printing rabbit hole. a week ago it was 'oh, that's a cool 2002 movie Green Goblin mini!' and now I have most of the X-men on my desk, the Avengers in the printer right now and a rapidly growing pile of files from all over the place to fill out the collection (though I'll be damned if I can find more than one good Spidey floating around! ).
Is that C27's juggernaut, or someone else's that just looks similar?

Kobarf, on thingiverse. I've printed a bunch of his and they're excellent.

JoshInJapan wrote:
He won't do his painting, but he's always willing to throw down, so even in the midst of the pandemic I'm getting in a lot of games. Re: Warhammer World, I'll get there someday, maybe once I've retired...

You were supposed to say that Core Space is borderline unplayable. I've been on the fence for a while now, and have managed to resist the urge to pick up yet another game. You've just made it that much more difficult for me...

Lol sorry brother. It's genuinely exciting, and there's loads of free stuff for it, but it an enormous pile of bits: for the starter game, for instance

In terms of P&M, though, I have made some progress on my AI Astartes speshmehrine speshplehns.

I am generally loath to use transfers, but went for it and used VJ matt medium to seal them. Mostly, I think it has been successful.

Dark wings, dark words, or something like that. The FW HH transfer sheet seemed like a slightly excessive purchase at the time but I think it's been worth it on balance. Plus if it motivates the boy to get on with his 40K Raven Guard then so much the better. I've also settled on doing my Avenger Strike fighters in a kind of inverse of the scheme, almost like a PDF airwing.
And, just by the skin of my teeth, my book nook is done!

Taking inspiration from Il Mandrago / The Mandrake, Machiavelli's Venetian sex and skulduggery sage

Balloon LED (ah, that old faithful) and vinyl mirror sheets have worked well. The slight smoking from the superglue (bother) just adds a bit of mist, in the end (phew!)

The Contessa holds her skirts daintily to avoid the treacherous water, unaware of the lurker in the shadows.

Now, yes, there was supposed to be a gondola, but the papercraft one it came with was awful. So I've got a resin Carnevale one on order from TT, which will get added anon. Still, pretty happy to call it (and indeed enter it in this month's Dark Elf Dare on insta).
I'm trying VERY hard not to get enormously distracted by (a) Core Space (b) more MCP and (c) AI Thunderhawk as I actually do want to get back into Moonstone... it's a hard life
Graven

Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.
2022 Painted model tally: 223 
   
Made in gb
Calculating Commissar






Reading, Berks

The nook is looking great, and fits nicely between those books! I still don't know where you find the time to do all this stuff...

   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

You make the AI stuff look very tempting....BAH...not another game , plus if my flgs cannot get it, I just don't want to go and hunt all the things down.


That Book Nook is great. Too bad I sold off my Horus Heresy books as those would be a great wall to have GW minis mixed into with the battle scenes and chapters running between the different titles .

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Speed Drybrushing





Lovely job on the Book Nook!

   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

Grea use of the mirrors with a seen which makees sense with them.

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

Oh fook, I'm shook by a look at a spook (or a mook, but certainly a crook)with a hook in a book nook that looks like a brook....

cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Madison, WI

That book nook is incredible graven! I'm blown away!

Anvildude: "Honestly, it's kinda refreshing to see an Ork vehicle that doesn't look like a rainbow threw up on it."

Gitsplitta's Unified Painting Theory
 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Mostly, on my phone.

endtransmission wrote:The nook is looking great, and fits nicely between those books! I still don't know where you find the time to do all this stuff...

That glorious time between the small and medium kid going to bed >
Theophony wrote:You make the AI stuff look very tempting....BAH...not another game , plus if my flgs cannot get it, I just don't want to go and hunt all the things down.
That Book Nook is great. Too bad I sold off my Horus Heresy books as those would be a great wall to have GW minis mixed into with the battle scenes and chapters running between the different titles .

Oh man I hate you . A HH nook (or indeed a 40k one generally) is a great idea. Git I am already planning a couple of other ideas for birthdays, a Dune themed one (sandworm, very tiny Paul) for metropolis and possibly a Diagon Alley for the wife.
aku-chan wrote:Lovely job on the Book Nook!

Cheers man, been really taken with the response to it
Llamahead wrote:Great use of the mirrors with a seen which makees sense with them.

Thanks pal! The glue I've used has caused a slight smoking of it, unfortunately, but hey, Venice gets foggy right?
monkeytroll wrote:Oh fook, I'm shook by a look at a spook (or a mook, but certainly a crook)with a hook in a book nook that looks like a brook....


Gitsplitta wrote:That book nook is incredible graven! I'm blown away!

So kind old friend!

My painting time this weekend has been curtailed by painting the dining room. Pesky wife, getting me to do stuff. I mean, I do things eventually, she doesn't have to keep on reminding me every 6 months...
However, made progress on the Thunderhawk

Gorgeous beast. I feel that the white panels on the fuselage and front edge of the wings are a bit stark. The fuselage ones may get iconography but I wonder about switching the wing edges to red or (shockingly) bright silver. Thoughts?
Still, got a mighty supply drop from Asmodee and Hasbro.




It's good to be a geek kids are stealing the marvel merch (though Thor will be a giveaway, as will 7 wonders.
We tried both Splendor and Pandemic Hot Zone out straight away.

Turns out I prefer this to regular Pandemic. It's really just a condensed version of the game you can do in half an hour. So even if you're 2/3 of the way through and have hit that yawning inevitability of losing (but have to keep playing just cos) you don't feel like you've wasted your time. It's a bit more random, but it's so easy to replay that don't begrudge it

Another speedy delight is the splendid Splendor, where you collect gems, craft items and try to earn prestige and patronage of nobles. It's a fast and devious game with multiple strategies for victory - do you try to win through gaining the favour of nobles, or concentrate on mastering the basics of the jeweller's craft? Excellent and rather fiendish.
Next up - Arkham! And a LOT of marvel
Graven

Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.
2022 Painted model tally: 223 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






So grateful you are painting up AI minis, so the rest of us don't have to pile on the pile of unfinished projects Looking great and excited for the new MCP stuff.

Nook looks great and makes me long to visit that beautiful city again.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Is that the revised Arkham starter, graven?

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






UK

The nook is superb, really effective!

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

Nice little thunderhawk there. I'd say red would be a better choice than silver if you're trying to avoid the stark contrast, but how about adding some tiny grey scratches to the white panels, or a few streaks across them? Giving the impression of weathering at that scale should prevent the white from standing out too much...

cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

I hope Atomic Mass Games/Marvel would do a Stan Lee model....or 30 (One for each cameo he has had in the movies). It would be a cool tribute, and they could do it as a yearly event with proceeds going to so cause or to his family. He gave so much to the community. Maybe you can pass that on to them if you give them any feedback.

Stan Lee Book Nook

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Mostly, on my phone.

Viterbi wrote:So grateful you are painting up AI minis, so the rest of us don't have to pile on the pile of unfinished projects Looking great and excited for the new MCP stuff.
Nook looks great and makes me long to visit that beautiful city again.

I know, I love Venice so much. Thanks man.
Dysartes wrote:Is that the revised Arkham starter, graven?

It is! Looks shiny!
Slinky wrote:The nook is superb, really effective!

Cheers!
monkeytroll wrote:Nice little thunderhawk there. I'd say red would be a better choice than silver if you're trying to avoid the stark contrast, but how about adding some tiny grey scratches to the white panels, or a few streaks across them? Giving the impression of weathering at that scale should prevent the white from standing out too much...

Good words of advice, all. I went red on the wings and scratching on the side panels.
Theophony wrote:I hope Atomic Mass Games/Marvel would do a Stan Lee model....or 30 (One for each cameo he has had in the movies). It would be a cool tribute, and they could do it as a yearly event with proceeds going to so cause or to his family. He gave so much to the community. Maybe you can pass that on to them if you give them any feedback.
Stan Lee Book Nook

At the very least, we need Stan Lee tribute civilian tokens
Right, well, let's kick off February by bringing... The Thunder!

I have a lot of affection for the Thunderhawk. Many years ago (30+) my poor mum took me to GW on Oxford Street and in the window I saw an Epic scale Thunderhawk and a Mk7 marine, both done simply black/metal drybrush - I'd never seen anything like it, and after a very patient staffer showed me how to do it my attitude to mini painting completely changed from being a chore to something I could get decent results from quickly. So as soon as I saw we were getting an AI version of the flying brick I knew what I had to do

So, I think I'm happy to call this big old bird done.

Yeah, the Thunderhawk is ready to take to the skies.



And, of course, a bit of Marvel too. First up, vengeance, sinners!

I reposed the arm, I didn't like the chain looping over his head.

Born to willllllld...

Heavy metal thunder, yeah.

Think he's turned out not bad.


And something bad... Something good... Somewhere in between.

I much prefer the MCU version to the comics, but Iove this sculpt.

Peter Quill. Sod Spartax, give me Ego every time.

Star-Lord, man. One last glamour shot

I've actually come to the acceptance the fact that whilst I love the models I don't really like MCP as a game that much

Whilst I have AI fire raptors and avengers to tackle, I need to tackle Moonstone next. Goblins are glaring at me

Little Miss' birthday coming up, a dozen 6 year old girls taking over my house on Saturday. Pray for Graven!


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2022/02/03 19:59:35


Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.
2022 Painted model tally: 223 
   
Made in gb
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





UK

Thubderhawk looking good, always nice when the old painting tricks work just as well as they ever did!

GR and Peter looking good, might have to nick that fire streak effect on the base when I get to doing one myself. Love the jacket colour on Starlord, the little bit of a red tone in the brown really lifts it.

 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Finished Thunderhawk looks awesome, love all the different metal details you painted in different shades. Really helps the mini come alive.

And great work on Ghost Rider and Star-Lord. The latter lingers here on the primed pile

Regarding little Ms. Graven's birthday: May the gods have mercy on your soul. Kid's birthday's can be very taxing
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





6 foot underwater

Our thoughts are with you as you endure Frozen on an infinite loop....

Thunderhawk looks great

Nice job on ghost rider, very cool. I mean, the flames of vengeance obviously are quite hot, but you get the idea.

And agree with Paradigm, Quill's coat is excellent.


Edit - Almost forgot (well, as this is an edit, I obviously did forget) should that last glamour shot featuring our Lord of the Stars be a different pic to the one above it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/02/03 19:11:56


cyborks & flyboyz : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/300067.page
heretical ramblings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/302773.page
imperial preachings : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/303365.page
Da Waaagh-ky Races : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/325045.page
Briancj: You have the Mek Taint, MT, and the only thing we can do is watch in horror/amazement.

 
   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

Toddler Bday party. Jack them up on sugar and send them home. Give extra sugar to the ones that bring cheap presents .

Ghost rider looks great, nice repose of the arm. Wish they’d make a movie of him...but they’d probably ruin it with a crummy actor playing his character .

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Agree with those saying to feed the kids sugar and E numbers starting about half an hour or so before the end of the event...

Thunderhawk looks great, as do the MCP figures. Shame it doesn't sound like the game isn't grabbing you as much as you thought.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Mostly, on my phone.

Paradigm wrote:Thubderhawk looking good, always nice when the old painting tricks work just as well as they ever did!
GR and Peter looking good, might have to nick that fire streak effect on the base when I get to doing one myself. Love the jacket colour on Starlord, the little bit of a red tone in the brown really lifts it.

Steal away buddy, it was fun to do, too. And thanks

Viterbi wrote:Finished Thunderhawk looks awesome, love all the different metal details you painted in different shades. Really helps the mini come alive.
And great work on Ghost Rider and Star-Lord. The latter lingers here on the primed pile
Regarding little Ms. Graven's birthday: May the gods have mercy on your soul. Kid's birthday's can be very taxing

Appreciate that. I don't often break out the metals, let alone metallic blue, but it layers well (and subtly) with chainmail and brass.
And yeah. This is kid #3 so we've been through this a fair bit

monkeytroll wrote:Our thoughts are with you as you endure Frozen on an infinite loop....
Thunderhawk looks great
Nice job on ghost rider, very cool. I mean, the flames of vengeance obviously are quite hot, but you get the idea.
And agree with Paradigm, Quill's coat is excellent.
Edit - Almost forgot (well, as this is an edit, I obviously did forget) should that last glamour shot featuring our Lord of the Stars be a different pic to the one above it?

Yeah, am a muppet, good catch - fixed now. It's Encanto on loop here - could be worse, I guess. Many thanks for kind comments.

Theophony wrote:Toddler Bday party. Jack them up on sugar and send them home. Give extra sugar to the ones that bring cheap presents .
Ghost rider looks great, nice repose of the arm. Wish they’d make a movie of him...but they’d probably ruin it with a crummy actor playing his character .

don't you talk that way about the might Cage and thanks bro.
Dysartes wrote:Agree with those saying to feed the kids sugar and E numbers starting about half an hour or so before the end of the event...
Thunderhawk looks great, as do the MCP figures. Shame it doesn't sound like the game isn't grabbing you as much as you thought.

Cheers buddy. It's possible I just haven't quite got my head round it yet. Some elements of the game physics really annoy me though.
What's next? Well more MCP, of course Don't worry, this was... QUICK to do

Yes. Quicksilver. I'm sure you didn't get that from my hilarious efforts.

If I could save time in a bottle...

I have a notion to do a Brotherhood Team running off Mystique with Dr Strange and Toad for Portal / objective grabbing shenanigans (though it may evolve into a Convocation team with Toad in a 2pt gap) and Quicksilver / Wanda for runaround.damage. Pretty solid 18 pt team, can swap out Quicksilver for Nebula if I want to go down to 17 and close killy or Bob for range Killy, Sabretooth for 19 pt version (he's a bit pricey at 4 but still). I'm not paying £50 for a Juggernaut model but my 3D printed one gives me him too in the mix.

And the most notoriously difficult model to build in the game: Shuri!

Impossible to photograph too.

I decided to lean into the MCU colours with a more purple pallet.

And with that, all my built MCP is done!

Great sense of achievement. I'm painting Dr Strange (classic) on sprue as an experiment. Still not sure.
And FINALLY got the goblin pirate king, El Capitano, done

Yarrrrrrrr

And, me booty!

So, pretty happy in the end with a fiddly model that's been driving me crazy.
And, in further proof that I'm trying to make some Moonstone progress, one of my absolute favourite figures in the range:

Ribald the Troll, one of the most Labyrinth figures in the entire range.



Finally, started work on printed juggernaut, with some mantic scatter for base balance.

So even with party of tiny terrors, much more productive weekend than expected - even got a game of Splendor (won!) and an expert mode of Marvel Champions (Spectrum, Hulk and Black Widow Vs Rhino, MODOK and Tombstone - tough but just about won) - AND laid down the base colour for my Biel-Tan AI ships.
So pretty good, all in all. My head's a bit all over the place but the toys, and the dakkalove, are a big help.
Graven

Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.
2022 Painted model tally: 223 
   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

That’s a fantastic Juggernaut print. He is one of my favorite characters of all time...not the movie version , he’s not flippin’ Austraillian...or whatever that accent was.

You need to run as fast as Quicksilver after that pun. .

Those Moonstone models are great.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





UK

Every time I see your supers minis I feel a deep need to up my basing game. Gotta print some posters/newspapers and such, they offset the minis so nicely. Minis themselves obviously not too shabby either!

I'm curious to hear your further thoughts on MCP as they develop! I kind of hated my first couple of games but the third I really got into (first time we used proper objectives and agreed to ditch tactics cards for now). I'm still not a fan of endless token-counting, but I've modelled up a handy thingymagig to track power/damage counters using only one per character, so that might help.

Also putting together some homebrew proxy cards for a few characters I've printed that aren't in the game (how the is DOOM not in there yet? ), happy to share them/take requests if you want!

 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Mostly, on my phone.

Theophony wrote:That’s a fantastic Juggernaut print. He is one of my favorite characters of all time...not the movie version , he’s not flippin’ Austraillian...or whatever that accent was.
You need to run as fast as Quicksilver after that pun. .
Those Moonstone models are great.

It's a really great STL, Kobarf does tremendous stuff. Got a wee bit of a hollow elbow, though that may be simply the way I flipped and resupported it. Easily fixed with gs. Balance is a separate issue, I'd almost consider printing a small raft directly onto the landing foot for stability.

Paradigm wrote:Every time I see your supers minis I feel a deep need to up my basing game. Gotta print some posters/newspapers and such, they offset the minis so nicely. Minis themselves obviously not too shabby either!
I'm curious to hear your further thoughts on MCP as they develop! I kind of hated my first couple of games but the third I really got into (first time we used proper objectives and agreed to ditch tactics cards for now). I'm still not a fan of endless token-counting, but I've modelled up a handy thingymagig to track power/damage counters using only one per character, so that might help.
Also putting together some homebrew proxy cards for a few characters I've printed that aren't in the game (how the is DOOM not in there yet? ), happy to share them/take requests if you want!

I'd be thrilled to see your homebrew, fire them over; wonder if Kobarf has a Doom stl Our biggest problem is the lack of falling rules, and the game's overall 2-dimensionality. It could just as easily be pushing tiddlywinks around a piece of paper. It's easy enough to reconcile: if you are pushed or thrown (other than wall-crawlers and flying models) from a building you also take Building Size minus Model Size in additional damage and are Stunned. I don't really get the "that's against the spirit of Push in the game" argument. I hadn't considered ditching tactics cards, that's actually quite interesting. If nothing else, it'll speed the game up It also really bugs me that there isn't a printed rulebook - or rather a complete one, the Learn to Play notwithstanding. Across the Bifrost is a great reference guide but it has its limits. There's also the inevitable danger of just straight up OP characters. Yes, it's all about game play but some characters are just way, wayyyyyyyyyy better than others and actually go against the core principles of the game (eg Venom, Bob, and yes, Juggernaut) when they can one-shot opposing characters.

So, speaking of the Juggernaut:

Cain Marko himself. A lot better than shelling out £50.

I had planned to put the Apocalypse now poster on the base and then I found this in my print-outs.

Adds a splash of contrasting colour DJJazzyJeff added a freehand pin-up cowgirl on a BA dread and I totally stole the idea

Scale shot with Sam-Cap. I don't know if the Mantic rubble looks a bit big but it's all about scale with him.

I loved painting this. I used turquoise against the russet to shade it; I only usually go to the opposite side of the colour wheel for cape work, so I'm glad I tried it.

Why was I playing about with turquoise, you may ask? More Moonstone, that's why.

I cannot believe how long I've spent just on the skin. This is Brittlenose, a river troll. Obviously just at WIP stage, not what I'd usually share but I'm rather proud.

Next up, Aeldari flyers for AI, Dr Strange and NYC Apartment Block for MCP and then... Who knows? Probably more Moonstone, I only have one more Goblin to do (well, team of 2 goblins with a firespitter), but I am a creature of whimsy, after all
Graven

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2022/02/09 10:18:46


Theophony"... and there's strippers in terminator armor and lovecraftian shenanigans afoot."
Solar_Lion: "Man this sums up your blog nicely."

Anpu-adom: "being Geek is about Love. Some love broadly. Some love deeply. And then there are people like Graven.
2022 Painted model tally: 223 
   
Made in gb
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





UK

Juggernaut looking good, but the skin tone on that troll, spectacular! That's going to be superb when it's done!

 inmygravenimage wrote:


I'd be thrilled to see your homebrew, fire them over; wonder if Kobarf has a Doom stl Our biggest problem is the lack of falling rules, and the game's overall 2-dimensionality. It could just as easily be pushing tiddlywinks around a piece of paper. It's easy enough to reconcile: if you are pushed or thrown (other than wall-crawlers and flying models) from a building you also take Building Size minus Model Size in additional damage and are Stunned. I don't really get the "that's against the spirit of Push in the game" argument. I hadn't considered ditching tactics cards, that's actually quite interesting. If nothing else, it'll speed the game up It also really bugs me that there isn't a printed rulebook - or rather a complete one, the Learn to Play notwithstanding. Across the Bifrost is a great reference guide but it has its limits. There's also the inevitable danger of just straight up OP characters. Yes, it's all about game play but some characters are just way, wayyyyyyyyyy better than others and actually go against the core principles of the game (eg Venom, Bob, and yes, Juggernaut) when they can one-shot opposing characters.


All useful stuff to know, thanks! I've not really come across the terrain issue yet as we've only been using the core box terrain so far (more, bigger stuff to be printed soon, so it might come up then) and I guess being new to the game the balance issues have yet to come up, though can see the potential for certain attacks/characters to do some ludicrous damage just based on dice maths.

I'll probably bring tactics cards back in at some point, but for the moment, putting them aside just means one less layer of things to worry about, so I can focus on getting the core rules/character abilities down and generally getting a little quicker/smarter at the game. I'm also just generally not a fan of getting card games in my minis games, but that seems to be the way the whole industry is going so possibly I'm just being a stick-in-the-mud there!

Here's a gallery with my homebrew bits, I'll add more as I do them. At the moment, there's Doom (Thanos), Crimson Dynamo (Vision), White Rhino (Crossbones) and Abomination (Hulk), and I'm 90% sure they're error-free! They're all identical to the listed proxy, apart from giving Doom's leadership to Cabal instead.
https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-77159-65578_Crisis%20Protocol%20Proxy%20Cards.html

Not sure kobarf does a Doom, but Nuclear Firefly do a pretty great one:
https://nuclearfirefly.gumroad.com/l/tTovxd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/02/09 11:31:56


 
   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

Perfect basing for Juggernaut. Great work on the paintjob, it's spot on to my feelings on Juggs.

Ill have to look up those files later.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






UK

That troll is going to look amazeballs when finished, I can sense it already

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Everyone's looking good, graven - any STLs of the Evan Peters version of Quicksilver kicking around, so you could use him as an alt at some point?

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Madison, WI

I turn my head for 2 minutes and there's another fantastic set of images... Stop it!

Anvildude: "Honestly, it's kinda refreshing to see an Ork vehicle that doesn't look like a rainbow threw up on it."

Gitsplitta's Unified Painting Theory
 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut






Juggernaut looks great, that base rubble fits perfectly.

All the Moonstone stuff looks really great, very interesting minis and cool color choices!
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: