Switch Theme:

Aeldari rumours (Avatar variants images - page 68, rules leaks - page 69)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






The rangers probably aren't even tied to the codex release, but the next Kill Team box instead.
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






Corsair rumours just don’t convince me I’m afraid.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest





Northumberland

I'd rather the rangers were part of a kill team box and it was Eldar v Chaos. And that will roll round by the time the eldar release happens in March/April.

I'm not going to be happy until I see something guardian related.

One and a half feet in the hobby


My Adeptus Mechanicus Painting Log:
# The Explorator Fleet of Labrunnia IX #

 
   
Made in au
Hissing Hybrid Metamorph






Where’s today’s ‘leak’?
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Khorne Dreadnought




 Tiberius501 wrote:
Where’s today’s ‘leak’?


   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






My post about being dubious makes more sense now!

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kanluwen wrote:
Rangers are scouts, saboteurs, and marksmen, not just snipers.

I see zero issue with rangers on bikes with long-rifles.


Would be a chance to give them a weapon option.

Also scatter laser ? It’s kinda just a viper with a ranger on top ? Why not use the chance to update that as well.

Also, did I miss a bunch of lore on yriel ?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/12/05 13:41:10


 
   
Made in au
Hissing Hybrid Metamorph






Dudeface wrote:
 Tiberius501 wrote:
Where’s today’s ‘leak’?




Ah thanks very much. I’m certainly curious to see if all this stuff comes to fruition. Seems like a lot of effort for all this to be a troll, especially as that other leaker said similar stuff.
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Khorne Dreadnought




 Tiberius501 wrote:
Dudeface wrote:
 Tiberius501 wrote:
Where’s today’s ‘leak’?




Ah thanks very much. I’m certainly curious to see if all this stuff comes to fruition. Seems like a lot of effort for all this to be a troll, especially as that other leaker said similar stuff.


I agree but it has happened before with a complete fake rulebook leaked under a codename. Saying that, if true then I feel like the corsairs kit screams kill team to me, lots of random 1 off upgrades and builds.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Yeah... Corsairs being an option seems more like "Freebootaz" than an actual model release.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





OK, I could see Corsairs being a dual kit with another unit, but the unit I’d pick to dual kit it with is Rangers. They are both outcasts and you could throw some exotic kit in there and Corsairs would look like Rangers gone native with different heads and arms/weapons.

The problem is that Rangers are destined for Kill Team, which does not have a dual kit as a spotlight unit. Accessory sprue yes, but not whole other unit.

Now personally I’d love a Corsair Kill Team that plays up the pirate “costuming” you see in Rogue Trader and each model was a character like the Starstriders. This also won’t happen because of the Rangers.

Guardians/Corsairs dual kit would be phoning it in. Corsairs would just be guardians with wings and different heads and guns. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.
   
Made in at
Deranged Necron Destroyer





The Corsairs was initially that part that made me think fake, but a kill team release would make sense.
I would love to see corsairs in plastic, fingers crossed.
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon






 Chairman Aeon wrote:
OK, I could see Corsairs being a dual kit with another unit, but the unit I’d pick to dual kit it with is Rangers. They are both outcasts and you could throw some exotic kit in there and Corsairs would look like Rangers gone native with different heads and arms/weapons.

The problem is that Rangers are destined for Kill Team, which does not have a dual kit as a spotlight unit. Accessory sprue yes, but not whole other unit.

Now personally I’d love a Corsair Kill Team that plays up the pirate “costuming” you see in Rogue Trader and each model was a character like the Starstriders. This also won’t happen because of the Rangers.

Guardians/Corsairs dual kit would be phoning it in. Corsairs would just be guardians with wings and different heads and guns. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.


The more I think about it the more these rumours make sense.

Rangers are historically a 5-strong minimum unit, while any new Kill Team releases have been 10-strong units. They're also pretty poorly balanced as a KT unit as they're all snipers with little plausible room for specialists. Changing either of these traits would have an impact on the 40k unit entry.

Meanwhile Corsairs are naturally a 10-strong unit with lots of scope for different specialists within the same squad. They're pretty much the Eldar equivalent of Veteran Guardsmen.
A KT kit for them could easily consist of a Guardian kit paired with a new upgrade sprue.
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






I just don’t buy Wraith weapons on standard infantry. Seems….very odd.

As ever I’m happy to be proven wrong, as it’s not something I’m precious about

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in si
Skillful Swordmaster





 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I just don’t buy Wraith weapons on standard infantry. Seems….very odd.

As ever I’m happy to be proven wrong, as it’s not something I’m precious about


It feels very one of a kind, one warlock, one heavy gunner, one ranger, ordinary rank and file with maybe a veteran perk thrown in. Could easily be a character warband, or simply internet grinding its gears.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







 xttz wrote:
The more I think about it the more these rumours make sense.

Rangers are historically a 5-strong minimum unit, while any new Kill Team releases have been 10-strong units. They're also pretty poorly balanced as a KT unit as they're all snipers with little plausible room for specialists. Changing either of these traits would have an impact on the 40k unit entry.

Meanwhile Corsairs are naturally a 10-strong unit with lots of scope for different specialists within the same squad. They're pretty much the Eldar equivalent of Veteran Guardsmen.
A KT kit for them could easily consist of a Guardian kit paired with a new upgrade sprue.

That only holds if you take the 3rd-ed-onwards paradigm for Rangers as gospel - in 2nd they had a lot more flexibility with equipment (and sculpts), which was lost in the transition.

You can see a couple of examples on this page from the 95/6 catalogue - the dual pistol Ranger is a great sculpt, and the power sword/pistol guy makes for a good squad leader.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in pl
Screaming Shining Spear





 Dysartes wrote:
 xttz wrote:
The more I think about it the more these rumours make sense.

Rangers are historically a 5-strong minimum unit, while any new Kill Team releases have been 10-strong units. They're also pretty poorly balanced as a KT unit as they're all snipers with little plausible room for specialists. Changing either of these traits would have an impact on the 40k unit entry.

Meanwhile Corsairs are naturally a 10-strong unit with lots of scope for different specialists within the same squad. They're pretty much the Eldar equivalent of Veteran Guardsmen.
A KT kit for them could easily consist of a Guardian kit paired with a new upgrade sprue.

That only holds if you take the 3rd-ed-onwards paradigm for Rangers as gospel - in 2nd they had a lot more flexibility with equipment (and sculpts), which was lost in the transition.

You can see a couple of examples on this page from the 95/6 catalogue - the dual pistol Ranger is a great sculpt, and the power sword/pistol guy makes for a good squad leader.


In 2nd not only could Rangers pack assault weaponry, but could also be... mounted on bikes.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Was there not previous mention of a killteam of corsairs with a warlock and Ranger? Was it a Reddit post that mentioned the Eldar vs Chaos box? Im sure I've read that before. Sounds like a killteam box- Guardians with an additional sprue for Corsairs- maybe head variants [bare heads rather than helmets as they don't need the Warmask].
I could see a Chaos vs Eldar box, a killteam box and then a later codex release allowing them to do the "massive but incomplete release for Eldar'.
Intrigued to see if these corsairs appear, hoping for some punk/flamboyant hairstyles like the original eldar models from RT days..
   
Made in gb
Killer Klaivex




The dark behind the eyes.

Regarding these rumours, the thing that strikes me as strange is that Eldar would have specific rules for Ynnari.

One would think that if the eldar factions were going to have Ynnari rules then we would have seen them in the Dark Eldar codex. However, all DE got was a mere acknowledgement in the detachment rules that Ynnari exist.

Though I'll grant that Dark Eldar missing out on rules isn't exactly what you'd call hard evidence.

 the_scotsman wrote:
Yeah, when i read the small novel that is the Death Guard unit options and think about resolving the attacks from a melee-oriented min size death guard squad, the thing that springs to mind is "Accessible!"

 Argive wrote:
GW seems to have a crystal ball and just pulls hairbrained ideas out of their backside for the most part.


 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"


Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.


 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





The exciting thing really about these rumours of rangers being part of a first wave of Eldar releases, is that they're probably not then going to the be the Kill team faction.

Leaving that nicely open for Scorpions.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 vipoid wrote:
Regarding these rumours, the thing that strikes me as strange is that Eldar would have specific rules for Ynnari.

One would think that if the eldar factions were going to have Ynnari rules then we would have seen them in the Dark Eldar codex. However, all DE got was a mere acknowledgement in the detachment rules that Ynnari exist.

Though I'll grant that Dark Eldar missing out on rules isn't exactly what you'd call hard evidence.


Fair.
There's also a lot about this that seems at odds with current GW processes.

The corsairs jump out as another area that rings weird. It reminds me of the brief period where Harlequins existed in both Craftworlds and Dark Eldar books, before they were broken back out as their own faction.
Corsairs as a Craftworlds only subfaction is just... odd. It doesn't match the background, and it doesn't really match the current paradigm (though admittedly we're due for a 'mid' edition paradigm shift).

But it makes the whole thing seem like a muddle of guesswork that doesn't apply to 9th edition.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

Ngl it just feels like this guy is making up them on the spot based on whatever rumour engine pics comes out that day.

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon






 Dysartes wrote:

That only holds if you take the 3rd-ed-onwards paradigm for Rangers as gospel - in 2nd they had a lot more flexibility with equipment (and sculpts), which was lost in the transition.

You can see a couple of examples on this page from the 95/6 catalogue - the dual pistol Ranger is a great sculpt, and the power sword/pistol guy makes for a good squad leader.


It was common for 1E/2E units to have access to very wide combinations of wargear, but those models were primarily intended to be used as squad leaders. GW in that era was pretty keen on having them be clearly identifiable with different wargear or back banners. Often both!

While i wouldn't rule out new Ranger loadouts in general, I wouldn't bet too much RT-era options coming back. It's far more likely to see that KT specialist flexibility on Guardians/Corsairs.

   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
Ngl it just feels like this guy is making up them on the spot based on whatever rumour engine pics comes out that day.

He did post his new models list on day 2 though, to be fair.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





If you wanna know what life is like being an Eldar just eat a few grams of shrooms. It’s like being the guy in the movie limitless.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Sniping as a tactic or being equipped with a rifle that a sniper could use does not make one into a sniper.

A sniper is a highly trained soldier who gathers intelligence on enemy using their training in concealment and specialized optics. They also stalk targets of high importance with field craft skills. They also identify and engage high priority threats to support infantry attacks.

The vast majority of a snipers time is spent observing. Taking notes. And gathering information. The vindicare assassin would be a better example of a sniper

The dudes riding around on bikes shooting are just marksmen with precision rifles. They aren’t stalking targets, gathering intel, or doing the things a sniper is known for.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/06 01:28:13


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Glorious Nation of U.S.S.A!

warpedpig wrote:

The vast majority of a snipers time is spent observing. Taking notes. And gathering information. The vindicare assassin would be a better example of a sniper


Careful. Bringing up that particular sniper in an eldar thread is likely to start comparisons of a different kind of stalking.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Knight wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I just don’t buy Wraith weapons on standard infantry. Seems….very odd.

As ever I’m happy to be proven wrong, as it’s not something I’m precious about


It feels very one of a kind, one warlock, one heavy gunner, one ranger, ordinary rank and file with maybe a veteran perk thrown in. Could easily be a character warband, or simply internet grinding its gears.


Specialist sprue added to a more normal unit?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 vipoid wrote:
Regarding these rumours, the thing that strikes me as strange is that Eldar would have specific rules for Ynnari.

One would think that if the eldar factions were going to have Ynnari rules then we would have seen them in the Dark Eldar codex. However, all DE got was a mere acknowledgement in the detachment rules that Ynnari exist.

Though I'll grant that Dark Eldar missing out on rules isn't exactly what you'd call hard evidence.


Currently, Ynnari are made up of 3 unique models, some relics, strategems, and few other special rules. About the same level of content as a Marine supplement. The Eldar book is not massively overstuffed like the Marine one yet, so they could just merge it in, similar to Beastsnaggas in the ork book. Just add a few rules that harlequins, labels, and watch cults can swap their faction keyword for ynnari and good to go.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/06 04:18:07


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sure would be cool if a new Guardian kit had a Warlock in there and they were just part of squads again...

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor






Corsairs and Ynnari would be great supplements.
Just like the marine codex, the craftworld codex could include some basic rule for outcasts and death cult, and then await supplements for more elaborate rules that still use craftworld codex as reference (probably just in time for 10th edition).

Not that I belive it untill I see it. And that goes for every single speculation in this thread.
Besides, all those kits that need to be updated still have a real hard time to be viable in todays meta. I mean scouts, guardians and warlocks? what are you trying to accomplish with those.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/12/06 06:03:50


Trolls n Robots, battle reports på svenska https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbeiubugFqIO9IWf_FV9q7A 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Saim Hann will be overpowered in next edition. Just watch.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: