Switch Theme:

Necron New 9th Edition Codex Tactica: All Hail The Silent King  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





United Kingdom

 Manchild 1984 wrote:
 Crafter91 wrote:
 Manchild 1984 wrote:
I would -4 warriors and +2 Skorkephs


Interesting... would you run them as a single large unit or split into two?


can't have 7 as one unit. 3-4 is only config


I only have 6 Skorpekhs built and painted at the moment anyway so I have dropped two warriors and made room for the sixth Skorpekh.

Still having an internal debate as to whether to split the unit or not though.


Craftworld Eldar
Space Wolves
Necrons
Kruleboyz  
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

3+3 is fine

but unit of 6 might be easier to res

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/06 16:36:28


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Singleton Mosby wrote:
I am about to start playing necrons and currently assembling a CC destroyer list. In this I would like one or two C'tan but are a bit confused.

There is the small but amazing Nightbringer and the big Void dragon which has a new model which I like a bit less. Is their base size really do much different? Bit weird ain't it?
And is it worth it to get two?


Yes, it's worth it to get both. Because then you have options as to what to play.
Sometimes you might play NB. Other times the VD. Now & then you nay well field both....
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

I find Nightbringer or transcendendant the best
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





St. Louis, MO

 Singleton Mosby wrote:
I am about to start playing necrons and currently assembling a CC destroyer list. In this I would like one or two C'tan but are a bit confused.

There is the small but amazing Nightbringer and the big Void dragon which has a new model which I like a bit less. Is their base size really do much different? Bit weird ain't it?
And is it worth it to get two?


The biggest reason for the difference is the Nightbringer and Deciever models are very old models from a time when they were actually quite large compared to most models in the game at that point. When they released the Void Dragon, the old model size just doesn't really hold up to what they are supposed to represent, especially in today's lineup filled with big centerpiece models.

11,100 pts, 7,000 pts
++ Heed my words for I am the Herald and we are the footsteps of doom. Interlopers, do we name you. Defilers of our
sacred earth. We have awoken to your primative species and will not tolerate your presence. Ours is the way of logic,
of cold hard reason: your irrationality, your human disease has no place in the necrontyr. Flesh is weak.
Surrender to the machine incarnate. Surrender and die.
++

Tuagh wrote: If you won't use a wrench, it isn't the bolt's fault that your hammer is useless.
 
   
Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith



United States

 Maelstrom808 wrote:
 Singleton Mosby wrote:
I am about to start playing necrons and currently assembling a CC destroyer list. In this I would like one or two C'tan but are a bit confused.

There is the small but amazing Nightbringer and the big Void dragon which has a new model which I like a bit less. Is their base size really do much different? Bit weird ain't it?
And is it worth it to get two?


The biggest reason for the difference is the Nightbringer and Deciever models are very old models from a time when they were actually quite large compared to most models in the game at that point. When they released the Void Dragon, the old model size just doesn't really hold up to what they are supposed to represent, especially in today's lineup filled with big centerpiece models.


100% agree. The nightbringer is in desperate need of a revamp for the model. I was a little disappointed with the rules for the void dragon, but the model was okay. Void dragon rules just seem a little inflexible. Granted, you shouldn't have a model that's great at everything, but the void dragon just seems lacking.
I'm not playing very competitive metas, so I tend to stick to the Nightbringer just because it's more fun in my opinion.
I'd like to use deathmarks too, but they just seem too expensive without much of a payoff.
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

I think Necrons have enough Center piece options
Silent King, Ghost Ark, Doomsday Ark
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




How are the Arks centerpiece models?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

They're big?
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

EviscerationPlague wrote:
How are the Arks centerpiece models?

they take forever to paint
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





United Kingdom

 Crafter91 wrote:
I have a small local tourney coming up and need help with a list.

It's only 650 points, i know most people are expecting me to turn up with my Eldar so I want to give them a shock and play with Necrons.

Looking for a fun list but not one that will fall to a stiff breeze. Any ideas? I know Necrons struggle at smaller levels so I am finding it hard to put something together.


For those interested, it was a rather successful event - and I was robbed of first place by the new Tyranids... lol I'll get to that.

List overall was really flexible at 650 points. Having VOD and the option to deepstrike a unit for 1cp thanks to Nephrek meant I always had good board control and options open.

First game was against Ynnari which I lost but scored well on for points. I had a solid first 3 turns until the Yncarne decided to wreck face... What can you do? lol

Second game I expected to lose against Thousand Sons. I won first turn and decided it was going to be all or nothing. VOD the skorpekhs turn one deleting some rubrics and my Heavy Destroyers made light work of terminators. I didn't actually depstrike anything in this game, but my warriors and scarabs were able to stand firm on their objectives long enough to score well.
End result, I was left with nothing but scarabs thanks to the insane psychic phase of the TSons but by that point I was too far ahead on points.

Third game was against Tau. Again I very much expected to lose, especially when he killed all my heavy destroyers in turn one. I was able to pull the win out of my backside with some clever movements around terrain, consolidating behind cover etc to keep the rest of my units alive. My skorpekhs did some serious work in this match up. Again, I did well on points.

By this point, I only had one game left and all other players were on 2 wins to 1 loss - but I was ahead by about 60 points to the next player. I could almost smell that gold medal...

Fourth and final game was against Tyranids, and let's just say, I have never been apologised to more by my opponent. His list comprised of a hive tyrant, 20 hormagaunts, 2 units of 3 warriors and 3 zoanthrobes.
Despite winning the first turn, I did very very little, and then in his first turn, was charged by the gaunts and Hive Tyrant. My heavy destroyers and skorpekhs both died.
In my turn two, I brought on my necron warriors that were in deepstrike but their efforts were futile, and they were then killed in combat in his turn two along with my scarabs and that was the end of the game.

In the last game I scored two points (or 12 if you count painted bonus) which meant that several other players were able to overtake my lead on points in their games.

In the end, I dropped from the top spot and I placed 5th. Still though, holding my own against Ynnari and then beating out Tau and Thousand Sons was a good enough moral victory for me.

Went home with my head held high - several people commented their disbelief that Necrons made the final.

My final list that I took can be seen below:

Spoiler:


++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Necrons) [37 PL, 646pts, 6CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 2. Incursion (51-100 Total PL / 501-1000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Nephrekh

+ HQ +

Technomancer [6 PL, 100pts]: Arkana: Prismatic Obfuscatron, Canoptek Cloak, Relic: Veil of Darkness, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 5): Implacable Conqueror (Aura)

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 156pts]
. 12x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 12x Gauss Reaper

+ Elites +

Skorpekh Destroyers [8 PL, 180pts]
. 2x Skorpekh Destroyer (Reap-Blade): 2x Hyperphase Reap-Blade
. 4x Skorpekh Destroyer (Thresher): 4x Hyperphase Threshers

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [2 PL, 45pts]
. 3x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 3x Feeder Mandibles

+ Heavy Support +

Lokhust Heavy Destroyers [9 PL, 165pts]
. 3x Lokhust Heavy Destroyer (Gauss Destructor): 3x Gauss Destructor

++ Total: [37 PL, 6CP, 646pts] ++




Craftworld Eldar
Space Wolves
Necrons
Kruleboyz  
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





St. Louis, MO

punisher357 wrote:
 Maelstrom808 wrote:
 Singleton Mosby wrote:
I am about to start playing necrons and currently assembling a CC destroyer list. In this I would like one or two C'tan but are a bit confused.

There is the small but amazing Nightbringer and the big Void dragon which has a new model which I like a bit less. Is their base size really do much different? Bit weird ain't it?
And is it worth it to get two?


The biggest reason for the difference is the Nightbringer and Deciever models are very old models from a time when they were actually quite large compared to most models in the game at that point. When they released the Void Dragon, the old model size just doesn't really hold up to what they are supposed to represent, especially in today's lineup filled with big centerpiece models.


100% agree. The nightbringer is in desperate need of a revamp for the model. I was a little disappointed with the rules for the void dragon, but the model was okay. Void dragon rules just seem a little inflexible. Granted, you shouldn't have a model that's great at everything, but the void dragon just seems lacking.
I'm not playing very competitive metas, so I tend to stick to the Nightbringer just because it's more fun in my opinion.
I'd like to use deathmarks too, but they just seem too expensive without much of a payoff.


See I actually hope they don't update it. It's perfect the way it is imo. I'd really hate to see it get a bunch of extra bs added to it. If anything the Void Dragon should have been smaller.

11,100 pts, 7,000 pts
++ Heed my words for I am the Herald and we are the footsteps of doom. Interlopers, do we name you. Defilers of our
sacred earth. We have awoken to your primative species and will not tolerate your presence. Ours is the way of logic,
of cold hard reason: your irrationality, your human disease has no place in the necrontyr. Flesh is weak.
Surrender to the machine incarnate. Surrender and die.
++

Tuagh wrote: If you won't use a wrench, it isn't the bolt's fault that your hammer is useless.
 
   
Made in nl
Dakka Veteran





Netherlands

 Maelstrom808 wrote:
punisher357 wrote:
 Maelstrom808 wrote:
 Singleton Mosby wrote:
I am about to start playing necrons and currently assembling a CC destroyer list. In this I would like one or two C'tan but are a bit confused.

There is the small but amazing Nightbringer and the big Void dragon which has a new model which I like a bit less. Is their base size really do much different? Bit weird ain't it?
And is it worth it to get two?


The biggest reason for the difference is the Nightbringer and Deciever models are very old models from a time when they were actually quite large compared to most models in the game at that point. When they released the Void Dragon, the old model size just doesn't really hold up to what they are supposed to represent, especially in today's lineup filled with big centerpiece models.


100% agree. The nightbringer is in desperate need of a revamp for the model. I was a little disappointed with the rules for the void dragon, but the model was okay. Void dragon rules just seem a little inflexible. Granted, you shouldn't have a model that's great at everything, but the void dragon just seems lacking.
I'm not playing very competitive metas, so I tend to stick to the Nightbringer just because it's more fun in my opinion.
I'd like to use deathmarks too, but they just seem too expensive without much of a payoff.


See I actually hope they don't update it. It's perfect the way it is imo. I'd really hate to see it get a bunch of extra bs added to it. If anything the Void Dragon should have been smaller.


I will get both

But I gather there's a lot of difference between hire you play them on the table. Not only because of different rules but also LOS due to the size of the model or easy of hiding.

   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

I think the coming cp changes will not do a lot for Necrons.

I have a hard time to use all cp's in a smart way.
And when I get tabled in turn 3, I don't need the rest either.
   
Made in de
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Germany

We dont have good stratagems, but other armies do. It will do some good for us when other armies have less CP to play with.
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

 p5freak wrote:
We dont have good stratagems, but other armies do. It will do some good for us when other armies have less CP to play with.


the changes will give less CP at start but more over 5 turns. (not that I live 5 turns)
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Manchild 1984 wrote:
 p5freak wrote:
We dont have good stratagems, but other armies do. It will do some good for us when other armies have less CP to play with.


the changes will give less CP at start but more over 5 turns. (not that I live 5 turns)


I think the point p5 is making, is that other armies are very capable of spending well over half their CP before the end of turn 1. With Necrons not usually being in that position, it will be a net gain for us against those factions. That's especially true when you consider the most common reason to spend so many CPs so quickly is to increase damage output, so we should see a decrease in front-loaded damage, which helps factions like Necrons who rely on resilience.
   
Made in de
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity






Germany

Yes, enemy armies will not be able to blow all their 10+ CP in the first two turns. Which will help us with reanimation, because our units will not get blown off the table.
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block




I read this entire thread. Took me several weeks lol. So much useful info and real experience data. Thank you!

I'd like to throw this out there. I'm new to 9th Ed. and haven't played many games. Most of my minis come from the Indomitus box x2, plus a LHD and Doomstalker. And I'm playing friendly games with Power rather than competitive games with points.

So... I actually like the Overlord. They're decent in combat, MWBD and Relentless March are great, but what I love most is something that was only mentioned once or twice in these 84 pages. The Arrow of Infinity! A relic that, for me, is auto-take. Only the Overlord and Anrakyr can take it, which might be why it's been ignored (Overlords being less popular than the CCB).

I screwed up my first Arrow by targetting a character with an invulnerable save, who made their save. But targetting dreadnaughts and vehicles has been super useful. 2+ to hit, usually 2+ to wound, AP -5, auto 6 damage. That's enough to drop a centrepiece to their next stat block, which can be really helpful. Combine with a Doomstalker, and you can take out the heaviest enemy unit on turn 1 with any luck.

And I definitely prefer the Doomstalker over the LHD. My LHD achieved exactly nothing. My Doomstalker one-shotted a Flyer and helped take out a tank. Obviously that's just anecdotal data, but I prefer the Doomstalker. (The model also looks way cooler. )

Anyway, thanks all for this thread. It's been very useful.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





United Kingdom

Hecate wrote:
I read this entire thread. Took me several weeks lol. So much useful info and real experience data. Thank you!

I'd like to throw this out there. I'm new to 9th Ed. and haven't played many games. Most of my minis come from the Indomitus box x2, plus a LHD and Doomstalker. And I'm playing friendly games with Power rather than competitive games with points.

So... I actually like the Overlord. They're decent in combat, MWBD and Relentless March are great, but what I love most is something that was only mentioned once or twice in these 84 pages. The Arrow of Infinity! A relic that, for me, is auto-take. Only the Overlord and Anrakyr can take it, which might be why it's been ignored (Overlords being less popular than the CCB).

I screwed up my first Arrow by targetting a character with an invulnerable save, who made their save. But targetting dreadnaughts and vehicles has been super useful. 2+ to hit, usually 2+ to wound, AP -5, auto 6 damage. That's enough to drop a centrepiece to their next stat block, which can be really helpful. Combine with a Doomstalker, and you can take out the heaviest enemy unit on turn 1 with any luck.

And I definitely prefer the Doomstalker over the LHD. My LHD achieved exactly nothing. My Doomstalker one-shotted a Flyer and helped take out a tank. Obviously that's just anecdotal data, but I prefer the Doomstalker. (The model also looks way cooler. )

Anyway, thanks all for this thread. It's been very useful.


Overlords aren't bad but relying on anything from Command Protocols has never worked for me - they're largely a waste of time beyond turn 2 in my opinion.

Arrow of Infinity is an interesting one. To bring it into 9th edition as an autotake for me, it would need one or several of the following - the ability to use more than once a game, the ability to ignore invun saves, the ability to indirect fire or ignore Look Out Sir (think yondu's arrow in Guardians of the Galaxy). It's not a bad one, but it could be better and there are better options out there.

LHDs are good in units of 3. I take them and sit a Technomancer with them to respawn and heal them. I've given him the VoD in several games too before so that if they get caught up in combat he can get them out to a safe area of the table and they can still shoot because they haven't fallen back.

Doomstalkers are good but too unreliable for my liking. If they had D3+3 shots and D6 damage it would make them an absolute autotake - but they're definitely not bad by any means.

Craftworld Eldar
Space Wolves
Necrons
Kruleboyz  
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block




Yeah, I haven't had much luck with Protocols either.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I have 2 Plasmancers thanks to Indomitus. Might get a Technomancer too. I like the idea of bringing back D3 Warriors per turn. And I like the idea of the Psychomancer, but will probably forget half the rules. Not yet experienced enough to play cunning with rules...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Best performing unit for me in virtually every game are the Skorpekhs. I doubt I'll ever run a list without them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/06/09 08:20:48


 
   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






Hecate wrote:
And I'm playing friendly games with Power rather than competitive games with points.

So... I actually like the Overlord. They're decent in combat, MWBD and Relentless March are great...

A lot of discussion in tactics threads is about list building and pts efficiency. A Doomscythe will kill an equal amount whether it is 160 or 200 pts, but if you're trying to construct a strong list those 20-40 pts per unit add up to a lot of extra efficiency if you can avoid overcosted units, which units are overcosted depends on a lot of things, like local enemy factions, terrain and missions played. Saying they're decent in combat doesn't say much, Warhound Titans are really strong in combat and shooting compared to an Overlord. What sorts of strategies you think work better or worse with an Overlord like your idea of focus-firing with your Arrow of Infinity and Doomstalker is more valuable.

The Arrow of Infinity! A relic that, for me, is auto-take. Only the Overlord and Anrakyr can take it, which might be why it's been ignored (Overlords being less popular than the CCB).

It's just a bad relic. Even in the best case scenario you're dealing 2 more wounds to a Dreadnought or Carnifex with it on average. Against T5-6 units with an invulnerable save? It's not even 1 wound on average. There is also a lot of times when you need 2-4 wounds after wounding something with your Doomstalker where an Arrow of Infinity is overkill. You should really try the Veil of Darkness and Voltaic Staff instead.

My Doomstalker one-shotted a Flyer....

Doomstalkers are awful against Flyers because they are only BS 4+, being reduced to hitting on 5s is really harsh and it's not really worth it to get a Cryptek to babysit one and if you play on dense terrain having 3 Doomstalkers sitting in the same place makes them easy to outmanoeuvre to block their line of sight. Doomsday Arks pay a trivial amount for their extra BS and durability, so much so that their gauss flayers are basically free. They do look neat though, I wish we had gotten Reanimators and Doomstalkers instead of Arks back in 5th. In Sautekh they can get +1 to hit without a babysitter which is pretty neat, but with the removal of the synergy between the Stratagem and tesla the dynasty is pretty dead.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/09 10:29:09


 
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

Hecate wrote:

The Arrow of Infinity! A relic that, for me, is auto-take. Only the Overlord and Anrakyr can take it [...]


Anrakyr can has relicks?
   
Made in au
Been Around the Block




I'd assume Anrakyr could take relics... Says the inexperienced person. He has the Tachyon Arrow, which is required for the Arrow of Infinity.

Also, I'm not saying the Doomstalker is great against flyers. Just that I did 1-shot a flyer with mine, whereas my LHD has been utterly useless. As I said - anecdotal evidence.

*shrug*

(Veil is awesome, though, I agree. And I'm willing to pay extra CP to get extra relics.)

   
Made in dk
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker






Named characters and C’TAN SHARD models cannot be given any of the following Relics.
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

No relics for special HQ's according to Battlescribe. And only certain Warlord traits.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




If the Arrow of Infinity had infinite uses, I'd take it. Even with random damage, I'd rather be able to shoot multiple times than just once.
   
Made in us
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Nebraska, USA

Never even given the Arrow a thought. Why?

Its taking a relic for one instance of 6D that still has a chance to fail and you dont get to try again if it fails either.
Overlord melee especially with the glaive is meh. Not bad, but not amazing either. I literally never use the glaive/arrow combo, any overlord i take is either Anrakyr (which cant take the relic arrow) or using an Orb (which cant take an arrow as well for some reason).
Bout the only times i even have a relic slot free is if i dont have a technomancer, which is rare. Technomancer can take the Volatic Staff, which makes him yet another decently strong 18" shooting attacker in addition to its other perks (base staff of light blows).
Relic orb is mandatory imo
Veil of darkness is mandatory imo

Arrow relic would be useful to me if it ignored invuls. Virtually every target i can think of i'd want to try to use it on has an invul so i'd rather not even risk bringing it. Upping the damage or letting it fire multiple times could be a bit ridiculous so i wouldnt wish for that kind of buff.

That being said, i wish it was easier to bring those arrows in general. I'd love to field 3-4 of the nonrelic variant but im forced into the glaive to do that and overlapping powers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/09 17:25:09


An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

14000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
6000pts Admech/Knights
7500pts Necron Goldboys 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Hecate wrote:
As I said - anecdotal evidence.

Anecdotal evidence like that isn't worth a lot. One time I killed a Daemon Prince shooting with a squad of dual Bolt Pistol Vanguard, but I'd not exactly defend them as a good shooting unit. Quite the opposite, I just wanted to use my friend's HH Destroyer models for a game since they looked neat.
   
Made in ch
Irked Necron Immortal




Switzerland

Anecdotal evidence is dangerous
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: