Switch Theme:

Space Marines 8th edition, glory to the codex (ohh and those black templar guys too)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Legendary Master of the Chapter






 War Kitten wrote:
So what are everyone's thoughts on Whirlwinds in this edition? Looking at their rules they seem like they got a pretty nifty buff this edition.


I will probably getting my hands on one

TFC let me down so far. its only one game though so i will need to see.


 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
And yet another thread is hijacked for Unit to ask for the same advice, receive the same answers and make the same excuses.

Oh my god I'm becoming martel.
Send help!

 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge




What's left of Cadia

If I remember right, the Vengeance rockets get 2d6 shots at strength 6, but with AP -0. The other ones (the Castellan Rockets) get 2d3 shots, but at strength 7 and AP- 1. I forget the damage for the Castellan rockets, but I believe it was more than 1

TheEyeOfNight- I swear, this thread is 70% smack talk, 20% RP organization, and 10% butt jokes
TheEyeOfNight- "Ordo Xenos reports that the Necrons have attained democracy, kamikaze tendencies, and nuclear fission. It's all tits up, sir."
Space Marine flyers are shaped for the greatest possible air resistance so that the air may never defeat the SPACE MARINES!
Sternguard though, those guys are all about kicking ass. They'd chew bubble gum as well, but bubble gum is heretical. Only tau chew gum
 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Quick question, what role do the new primaris marines fill in a space marine army?

Inceptors seem too costly, hellblasters are less efficient plasma cannon devestators, even the intercessors seem overcosted in comparison to regular tactical marines.

The lieutenants seem like the strongest unit of the bunch because of their re-rolls to wound.

Am I missing something?
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

 Desubot wrote:
Well the siege shield i would assume is what gives it the extra T maybe. i dunno.

Nope, the heavier armored Rhino pattern tanks (Vindicator, Hunter, Stalker) are all T8.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in us
Legendary Master of the Chapter






 War Kitten wrote:
If I remember right, the Vengeance rockets get 2d6 shots at strength 6, but with AP -0. The other ones (the Castellan Rockets) get 2d3 shots, but at strength 7 and AP- 1. I forget the damage for the Castellan rockets, but I believe it was more than 1



2 Damage its a Primarus killer. and not bad for SS terminators.

Jdredsox wrote:
Quick question, what role do the new primaris marines fill in a space marine army?

Inceptors seem too costly, hellblasters are less efficient plasma cannon devestators, even the intercessors seem overcosted in comparison to regular tactical marines.

The lieutenants seem like the strongest unit of the bunch because of their re-rolls to wound.

Am I missing something?


-4 ap instead of 3 and better range.


hang on does the grenade harness ADD armor for the enemy!?


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/20 22:45:05


 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
And yet another thread is hijacked for Unit to ask for the same advice, receive the same answers and make the same excuses.

Oh my god I'm becoming martel.
Send help!

 
   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot






So guys I think the Plasma Pistol gunslinger Vanguard Vets might be a tactic you need to be careful with. I'm starting to see people react to plasma drops with varying tactics- Tyrant Guard, Honor Guard, -1 to hit auras, and dedicated character protection squads. As it should be, people are adapting their tactics. I'll continue to try and see if it as a tactic can stick around, but I doubt it'll continue to be the tactical nuke it currently is.
   
Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm





Riverside CA

Jdredsox wrote:
Quick question, what role do the new primaris marines fill in a space marine army?

Inceptors seem too costly, hellblasters are less efficient plasma cannon devestators, even the intercessors seem overcosted in comparison to regular tactical marines.

The lieutenants seem like the strongest unit of the bunch because of their re-rolls to wound.

Am I missing something?


My thoughts was placing Hellblasters in a high piece of Terrain with Captain and a Lieutenant to 'control' part of the board, I used to do it a Command Squad (Without Characters) with 4 Plasma Guns all the time and it always worked well for me. I think with the 8th Edition change it still could.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/ 
   
Made in fr
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





France

So, I'm doing my list right now and I have some questions for you guys who have already played some games.

What do you think about some plasma pistols for the VV ? Like, 2 or 3. Now that they don't overheat anymore, are cheap and we choose the casualities. It seems a good idea to gey some more punch.
The power axes seem better than the power mauls now, what a shame I modeled 4 with mauls

Tac squad seem really nerfed into oblivion this edition. They weren't particulary good before, but now they lost their 3+ armor (will usually get 4+ or 5+) and their AP5.
I used to play 3, I won't anymore.
As flamers are totally unplayable this edition, what weapons do you think I should give to my old flamer squad ? The others two already have plasma/combi plasma.

IIRC, a transport can transport several units, as long as it has the capacity. What do you think about two 5-men Tac squad with plasma/combi plasma in a drop pod ? 4 plasma weapons at rapid fire range, two units.

The chaplain seems to be buffed, his ability is an aura and isn't just for the first round anymore !

How do you plan to use your drop pods now ? I can't see myself using them with Tac squads and sternguard with combi are sooo expensive and I only have 1 sternguard unit

   
Made in us
Moustache-twirling Princeps





WA

Jdredsox wrote:
Quick question, what role do the new primaris marines fill in a space marine army?

Inceptors seem too costly, hellblasters are less efficient plasma cannon devestators, even the intercessors seem overcosted in comparison to regular tactical marines.

The lieutenants seem like the strongest unit of the bunch because of their re-rolls to wound.

Am I missing something?


Inceptors are fine if you use the Primaris points from the Starter. I think that is their intended cost, honestly. Hopefully GW addresses this.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Spoiler:
 em_en_oh_pee wrote:
Jdredsox wrote:
Quick question, what role do the new primaris marines fill in a space marine army?

Inceptors seem too costly, hellblasters are less efficient plasma cannon devestators, even the intercessors seem overcosted in comparison to regular tactical marines.

The lieutenants seem like the strongest unit of the bunch because of their re-rolls to wound.

Am I missing something?


Inceptors are fine if you use the Primaris points from the Starter. I think that is their intended cost, honestly. Hopefully GW addresses this.


I would think the index overrides anything else, personally.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Spoiler:
 godardc wrote:
So, I'm doing my list right now and I have some questions for you guys who have already played some games.

What do you think about some plasma pistols for the VV ? Like, 2 or 3. Now that they don't overheat anymore, are cheap and we choose the casualities. It seems a good idea to gey some more punch.
The power axes seem better than the power mauls now, what a shame I modeled 4 with mauls

Tac squad seem really nerfed into oblivion this edition. They weren't particulary good before, but now they lost their 3+ armor (will usually get 4+ or 5+) and their AP5.
I used to play 3, I won't anymore.
As flamers are totally unplayable this edition, what weapons do you think I should give to my old flamer squad ? The others two already have plasma/combi plasma.

IIRC, a transport can transport several units, as long as it has the capacity. What do you think about two 5-men Tac squad with plasma/combi plasma in a drop pod ? 4 plasma weapons at rapid fire range, two units.

The chaplain seems to be buffed, his ability is an aura and isn't just for the first round anymore !

How do you plan to use your drop pods now ? I can't see myself using them with Tac squads and sternguard with combi are sooo expensive and I only have 1 sternguard unit


I think plasma pistols are better on them than melee weapons are. I would take a lot of them.

Tac squads are not great right now, however, flamers are amazing. D6 Auto hits is actually really strong, and wonderful in overwatch.

I think drop pods are too expensive for anything except sternguard and devastators, and then those are iffy.

Chaplains seem solid if you have 2+ assault units.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Spoiler:
 ultimentra wrote:
So guys I think the Plasma Pistol gunslinger Vanguard Vets might be a tactic you need to be careful with. I'm starting to see people react to plasma drops with varying tactics- Tyrant Guard, Honor Guard, -1 to hit auras, and dedicated character protection squads. As it should be, people are adapting their tactics. I'll continue to try and see if it as a tactic can stick around, but I doubt it'll continue to be the tactical nuke it currently is.


I'm not sure how people are sniping characters with VV if they are hidden behind other units like they should be. I think the real value of VV are overcharging plasma into things that you really want to kill, but like any deepstriking unit, can be partially countered by screening units.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/21 01:50:23


 
   
Made in ca
Bounding Assault Marine






 War Kitten wrote:
So what are everyone's thoughts on Whirlwinds in this edition? Looking at their rules they seem like they got a pretty nifty buff this edition.


A week ago I did a quick comparison of the WW vs IG artillery. While the WW is good, it seems like the Basilisk, Wyvern or Manticore are slightly better value imo. A combo of Wyvern & Basilisk/Manticore seems like the best.
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





 em_en_oh_pee wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 em_en_oh_pee wrote:
Thoughts on the Relic Sicaran?

Twin Accelerator Autocannon
48" Assault 8 S7 AP -1 D2
No penalty for Fly
6+ wound is AP -3
T7 with 14 wounds and a 3+ means it is reasonably tough too.

Add in triple Heavy Bolters for 9 S5 AP-1 D1 shots at 36" and it seems like it has a whole lot of firepower. Good to thin some hordes, shoot up flyers, etc.

The Assault 8 is nice, so it can fire on the move without penalty, even though the HBs would. All that for 260pt.

Seem like a solid inclusion?


might be points cost will tell, but it seems a better gun platform then the predator at least


260pt for that configuration. Seems affordable enough to include in an armored-style list maybe.


260seems alright for comparison a dakka pred is 171 points and a laspred is 202,.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in cn
Regular Dakkanaut







what does everyone think about using landraiders/ storm ravens transport capacity to minimizes deployement whilst still being a bit msu. something like:

Captain
chaplain
3x tac squad with dual special(say 2x dual melta 1x dual plasma)
2x assault with dual flamer
grav dev squad

Crusader
redeemer
Raven

3 drops, pretty durable and toolbox firepower in the tank.
   
Made in us
Moustache-twirling Princeps





WA

Posted in the armylist section, but with no input. Hopefully, my fellow Dakkaites can help me out here:

SPEARHEAD +1CP

HQ:
Lias Issodon*
[195]

Elites:
(10) Sternguard Veterans*
2x Plasma Guns
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[234]

Troops:
(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

Heavy:
(5) Devastator Squad*
Cherub, 4x Multimeltas
[178]

(5) Devastator Squad*
Cherub, 4x Multimeltas
[178]

(5) Devastator Squad
4x Lascannons, Cherub
[170]

(5) Devastator Squad
4x Heavy Bolters, Cherub
[110]

[1205]

OUTRIDER +1CP

HQ:
Primaris Lieutenant
MC ABR
[74]

Elites:
Imperial Space Marine
[60]

Troops:
(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

Fast Attack:
(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

[795]

General idea here is that the Las and HB Dev squads set up with the Lieutenant as a firebase, with the ISM nearby. The Shotty Squad all deploy up close, ideally in cover for the Camo perk, and unload with gross firepower after they move in close for the S5. Lias, the Sternguard and two MM Dev squads deploy in 9" out in ideal positions - mostly for nuking nasty tanks and shooting up stuff with their Special Ammo, Plasma, and Lias's gross weapon. He gives nearby units (in 6") re-roll to-hits and +1" movement, too, so that is handy if the Scouts are nearby and need to get out of cover and into shotty range, plus the re-roll on MMs is nice so you don't miss those crucial shots and for OC Plasma. Also dropping in for fun are 30 Assault Marines kitted to spit Plasma and engage in melee. ~78 bodies on the table. No armor either - which wasn't intentional per se, but does hilariously dial back enemy anti-tank weapons.

Seems fluffy for the Raptors though I am actually doing Mentors... same logo, amirite?! But seems good for them too, anyhow.

Thoughts? Ideas? Did I miss anything?

   
Made in ca
Bounding Assault Marine






 em_en_oh_pee wrote:
Posted in the armylist section, but with no input. Hopefully, my fellow Dakkaites can help me out here:

SPEARHEAD +1CP

HQ:
Lias Issodon*
[195]

Elites:
(10) Sternguard Veterans*
2x Plasma Guns
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[234]

Troops:
(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

Heavy:
(5) Devastator Squad*
Cherub, 4x Multimeltas
[178]

(5) Devastator Squad*
Cherub, 4x Multimeltas
[178]

(5) Devastator Squad
4x Lascannons, Cherub
[170]

(5) Devastator Squad
4x Heavy Bolters, Cherub
[110]

[1205]

OUTRIDER +1CP

HQ:
Primaris Lieutenant
MC ABR
[74]

Elites:
Imperial Space Marine
[60]

Troops:
(5) Scout Squad
Shotguns, Camo Cloaks
[70]

Fast Attack:
(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

(10) Assault Squad*
Thunder Hammer, Combat Shield, 2x Plasma Pistols, Jump Packs
[197]

[795]

General idea here is that the Las and HB Dev squads set up with the Lieutenant as a firebase, with the ISM nearby. The Shotty Squad all deploy up close, ideally in cover for the Camo perk, and unload with gross firepower after they move in close for the S5. Lias, the Sternguard and two MM Dev squads deploy in 9" out in ideal positions - mostly for nuking nasty tanks and shooting up stuff with their Special Ammo, Plasma, and Lias's gross weapon. He gives nearby units (in 6") re-roll to-hits and +1" movement, too, so that is handy if the Scouts are nearby and need to get out of cover and into shotty range, plus the re-roll on MMs is nice so you don't miss those crucial shots and for OC Plasma. Also dropping in for fun are 30 Assault Marines kitted to spit Plasma and engage in melee. ~78 bodies on the table. No armor either - which wasn't intentional per se, but does hilariously dial back enemy anti-tank weapons.

Seems fluffy for the Raptors though I am actually doing Mentors... same logo, amirite?! But seems good for them too, anyhow.

Thoughts? Ideas? Did I miss anything?


I really like the idea of doing all infantry, it can truly negate the anti tank of your opponents and give space marines numbers.

My initial thoughts are:
-you would get more cp's just for doing a Battalion (6 total), rather than a spearhead and an outrider (5 total). Or, even more if you added one more HQ and did a Battallon+Outrider/Spearhead (7 total).
-I think you could better use the points instead of giving cloaks to your shotgun scouts. I imagine they will want to get in close to other units and probably won't be in cover for long. maybe switch them to snipers w/ cloaks (if you run a bunch of snipers it would be scary for their characters) or just shotguns without cloaks
-I think when using jump packs you get good value with the Vanguard Veterans. they go from 16/model to 18/model with jump packs, whereas assault marines go from 13/model to 16/model (a 3 point increase vs 2). my reasoning here is if you're willing to spend the money on thunderhammers then VV's are going to get +1 attack with a TH compared to regular assault marines. Plasma pistols on jump infantry is baller and I do like how cheap it can be on regular assault marines. I would suggest 1 assault marines squad with 3 plasma pistols as a cheaper throw away one, and then 2 VV squads with plasma and some upgraded melee (power swords are cheap and pretty strong, thunderhammer is fun on a sergeant or captain)
-I would add a captain with a jump pack to a squad of VV's so you can supercharge plasma's with impunity (reroll on 1's). captain is 93 points with a jump pack, so not too shabby and it would complete the battalion & spearhead detachments for you, giving you an extra CP too.

Overall, me like the list. Devastators and Assault Marines seem like they compliment each other nicely. Your MM's might have to advance around the board a lot, but they will be effective discouragement for vehicles to take the centre of the board.

So those are my initial thoughts, take it with a grain of salt though as I'm just getting back into the hobby. Cheers and let us know how it goes!



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Fruzzle wrote:
what does everyone think about using landraiders/ storm ravens transport capacity to minimizes deployement whilst still being a bit msu. something like:

Captain
chaplain
3x tac squad with dual special(say 2x dual melta 1x dual plasma)
2x assault with dual flamer
grav dev squad

Crusader
redeemer
Raven

3 drops, pretty durable and toolbox firepower in the tank.


It's a good idea for Storm Ravens since you don't have to worry about them being blown up before you get your cargo out. If I was doing a Storm Raven, I'd toss an Ironclad in there with melee weapons. It's a beastly wrecking ball to let loose in someone's backfield.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/21 14:34:24


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Connecticut

I cannot decide between Devastators or just mass Combi-Plasma Sternguard for Lias.

You could, realistically, either take 30 Combi-Plasma or 20 Combi-Plasma w/ an ancient and just blast things off the table turn one with them.

Devastators are good, and require less bodies, but I can't decide which tactic I prefer.

Blood Angels, Custodes, Tzeentch, Alpha Legion, Astra Militarum, Deathwatch, Thousand Sons, Imperial Knights, Tau, Genestealer Cult.

I have a problem.

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary doesn't make you unique, it makes you annoying.

 Purifier wrote:
Using your rules isn't being a dick.
 
   
Made in us
Moustache-twirling Princeps





WA

benlac wrote:

I really like the idea of doing all infantry, it can truly negate the anti tank of your opponents and give space marines numbers.

My initial thoughts are:
-you would get more cp's just for doing a Battalion (6 total), rather than a spearhead and an outrider (5 total). Or, even more if you added one more HQ and did a Battallon+Outrider/Spearhead (7 total).
-I think you could better use the points instead of giving cloaks to your shotgun scouts. I imagine they will want to get in close to other units and probably won't be in cover for long. maybe switch them to snipers w/ cloaks (if you run a bunch of snipers it would be scary for their characters) or just shotguns without cloaks
-I think when using jump packs you get good value with the Vanguard Veterans. they go from 16/model to 18/model with jump packs, whereas assault marines go from 13/model to 16/model (a 3 point increase vs 2). my reasoning here is if you're willing to spend the money on thunderhammers then VV's are going to get +1 attack with a TH compared to regular assault marines. Plasma pistols on jump infantry is baller and I do like how cheap it can be on regular assault marines. I would suggest 1 assault marines squad with 3 plasma pistols as a cheaper throw away one, and then 2 VV squads with plasma and some upgraded melee (power swords are cheap and pretty strong, thunderhammer is fun on a sergeant or captain)
-I would add a captain with a jump pack to a squad of VV's so you can supercharge plasma's with impunity (reroll on 1's). captain is 93 points with a jump pack, so not too shabby and it would complete the battalion & spearhead detachments for you, giving you an extra CP too.

Overall, me like the list. Devastators and Assault Marines seem like they compliment each other nicely. Your MM's might have to advance around the board a lot, but they will be effective discouragement for vehicles to take the centre of the board.

So those are my initial thoughts, take it with a grain of salt though as I'm just getting back into the hobby. Cheers and let us know how it goes!


I think it is the cost issue with the VV that kept me from going that way. But of course, I could save points on the Scouts to maybe bump it. I just thought if I was deploying the Scouts out into cover near Lias, the +1" movement would help offset any penalties and they could jump out of cover and light stuff up.

Sniper Rifles don't wow me and cost a fair bit, but I might just need to see them in action.

Lias gives re-rolls, so the idea is to try to conga line out a bit and make sure he spreads his re-roll bubble as far as possible. I am not sure I could find the points for a Captain (though I can scrap the ISM and try to dig up points).

I will look at other detachments, but I don't see CP as being that huge. But again, I might need more practical time with it, as the theoretical with it seems less worthwhile.

And my MM Devs won't be advancing much I am guessing... because I fully expect that 5-man squad to vanish in retaliation one they first turn unload into an enemy tank!

Cephalobeard wrote:I cannot decide between Devastators or just mass Combi-Plasma Sternguard for Lias.

You could, realistically, either take 30 Combi-Plasma or 20 Combi-Plasma w/ an ancient and just blast things off the table turn one with them.

Devastators are good, and require less bodies, but I can't decide which tactic I prefer.


I am torn too. I have enough bodies though that I am likely going to try out other options. I just really wanted a chance to toss Devs on the table, because that hasn't been really viable in a long time.

Lias is just so awesome. I love the idea of Sternguard - even with just Special Ammo - coming in Rapid Fire range out of the gate. So brutal!

EDIT:
Another take on the Lias concept using some suggestions!
Spoiler:

Battalion (+3)

HQ:
Lias Issodon
[195]

Captain
Power Axe
[79]

Elites:
(10) Sternguard Veterans
2x Plasma Guns
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[234]

(10) Sternguard Veterans
2x Plasma Guns
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[234]

(10) Vanguard Veterans
3x Storm Shields, 2x Plasma Pistols, 2x Power Swords
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[244]

(10) Vanguard Veterans
3x Storm Shields, 2x Plasma Pistols, 2x Power Swords
Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer
[244]

Troops:
(5) Scout Squad
Sniper Rifles
[75]

(5) Scout Squad
Sniper Rifles
[75]

(5) Scout Squad
Sniper Rifles
[75]

Heavy:
(5) Devastator Squad
4x Multimeltas, Cherub
[178]

(6) Devastator Squad
4x Lascannons, Cherub
[183]

(6) Devastator Squad
4x Lascannons, Cherub
[183]

[1999]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/21 20:11:19


   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Cephalobeard wrote:
I cannot decide between Devastators or just mass Combi-Plasma Sternguard for Lias.

You could, realistically, either take 30 Combi-Plasma or 20 Combi-Plasma w/ an ancient and just blast things off the table turn one with them.

Devastators are good, and require less bodies, but I can't decide which tactic I prefer.


I say whichever is cheaper. You know the unit(s) are going to be a priority target for the enemy. So they will probably die pretty fast after they deal their damage. But I will say that people often forget that Sternguard get two CC attacks which has won the day for me before.
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




I'm building a BA list around a whirlwind battery. I'll let you know how it works out.
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




Anybody else read through the FW Index.

Chaplain dreadnogut imho looks like a real winner, he's got 9 wounds so no issue of degradation, he's a character so he can be bubblewrapped and avoid being targettedfrom distance and both and invuln save AND a FNP roll.

He also has an Aura for buffing strength by 1 for everyone around him (including himself as with other aura's) meaning he'll be wounding t7 on a 2.

Not much more expensive than a tooled out captain and imho well worth taking if you want someone to wade into the enemy
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




GAdvance wrote:
Anybody else read through the FW Index.

Chaplain dreadnogut imho looks like a real winner, he's got 9 wounds so no issue of degradation, he's a character so he can be bubblewrapped and avoid being targettedfrom distance and both and invuln save AND a FNP roll.

He also has an Aura for buffing strength by 1 for everyone around him (including himself as with other aura's) meaning he'll be wounding t7 on a 2.

Not much more expensive than a tooled out captain and imho well worth taking if you want someone to wade into the enemy

Combine with Tyberos then to get S6, which means wounding GEQ on a 2+.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
GAdvance wrote:
Anybody else read through the FW Index.

Chaplain dreadnogut imho looks like a real winner, he's got 9 wounds so no issue of degradation, he's a character so he can be bubblewrapped and avoid being targettedfrom distance and both and invuln save AND a FNP roll.

He also has an Aura for buffing strength by 1 for everyone around him (including himself as with other aura's) meaning he'll be wounding t7 on a 2.

Not much more expensive than a tooled out captain and imho well worth taking if you want someone to wade into the enemy

Combine with Tyberos then to get S6, which means wounding GEQ on a 2+.


Strength 12 Powerfists!

Strength 16 Dreadnoughts!

Smash up knights on 2's!

Could stick Tyberos, a Chaplain Dread and a squad of VV or Terminators into a Storm Raven for an almost guarunteed charge into whatever your opponent has that you REALLY want to punch to death.

I propose we call it the "Shark Star"
   
Made in us
Moustache-twirling Princeps





WA

Added a list to my post using some ideas from the thread!

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Connecticut

Carcharadons are going to be mean in Melee.

I, also, made a posting in the Army List sub for a Raptors list I feel is both actually not awful, and fits beautifully fluff wise.

Blood Angels, Custodes, Tzeentch, Alpha Legion, Astra Militarum, Deathwatch, Thousand Sons, Imperial Knights, Tau, Genestealer Cult.

I have a problem.

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary doesn't make you unique, it makes you annoying.

 Purifier wrote:
Using your rules isn't being a dick.
 
   
Made in us
Moustache-twirling Princeps





WA

 Cephalobeard wrote:
Carcharadons are going to be mean in Melee.

I, also, made a posting in the Army List sub for a Raptors list I feel is both actually not awful, and fits beautifully fluff wise.


Yup. Sharks can finally shine!

Also, replied to your list!

   
Made in gb
Bounding Assault Marine




GAdvance wrote:

Strength 12 Powerfists!

Strength 16 Dreadnoughts!

Smash up knights on 2's!

Could stick Tyberos, a Chaplain Dread and a squad of VV or Terminators into a Storm Raven for an almost guarunteed charge into whatever your opponent has that you REALLY want to punch to death.

I propose we call it the "Shark Star"


Multiply then add unfortunately, Space Marine Powerfists would be Strength 10 (4*2)+2, Dreadnoughts Strength 14 (6*2)+2, so you'd still be wounding the Imperial Knights on 3's
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




Do we have a confirmation of multiply then add in the new rules, I haven't seen it myself.

Also just to add to the chaplain dread pain train, Helbrecht has the same aura, crusader squads backed by a dead chaplain and a golden armoured chapter master... I haven't a name for that yet lol
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Cephalobeard wrote:
Carcharadons are going to be mean in Melee.

I, also, made a posting in the Army List sub for a Raptors list I feel is both actually not awful, and fits beautifully fluff wise.

Also nice that the Chainsword in that situation with Bikers is strictly superior to Pistols.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Depraved Slaanesh Chaos Lord




Inside Yvraine

Give it to me straight lads.

Exactly how competitive could I expect a Black Templars list to be?

By that I mean, lots of Crusade squads with BT ICs, Vindicators and no psykers.

 
   
Made in fr
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





France

jcd386 wrote:


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Spoiler:
 godardc wrote:
So, I'm doing my list right now and I have some questions for you guys who have already played some games.

What do you think about some plasma pistols for the VV ? Like, 2 or 3. Now that they don't overheat anymore, are cheap and we choose the casualities. It seems a good idea to gey some more punch.
The power axes seem better than the power mauls now, what a shame I modeled 4 with mauls

Tac squad seem really nerfed into oblivion this edition. They weren't particulary good before, but now they lost their 3+ armor (will usually get 4+ or 5+) and their AP5.
I used to play 3, I won't anymore.
As flamers are totally unplayable this edition, what weapons do you think I should give to my old flamer squad ? The others two already have plasma/combi plasma.

IIRC, a transport can transport several units, as long as it has the capacity. What do you think about two 5-men Tac squad with plasma/combi plasma in a drop pod ? 4 plasma weapons at rapid fire range, two units.

The chaplain seems to be buffed, his ability is an aura and isn't just for the first round anymore !

How do you plan to use your drop pods now ? I can't see myself using them with Tac squads and sternguard with combi are sooo expensive and I only have 1 sternguard unit


I think plasma pistols are better on them than melee weapons are. I would take a lot of them.

Tac squads are not great right now, however, flamers are amazing. D6 Auto hits is actually really strong, and wonderful in overwatch.

I think drop pods are too expensive for anything except sternguard and devastators, and then those are iffy.

Chaplains seem solid if you have 2+ assault units.


Actually, you make me think about devastators in drop pods, maybe with grav cannons, as they are heavy 4. Even with -1 to hit, they would hit several times. How does it works with a captain nearby ? Is a roll of 1 still considered a 1, or a 0 ? And a roll of 2 would be considered a 1, is that right ?
How are flamer great ? A Tac squad with 2 flamers would get about 7 auto hit, that about only 3 dead orks...
Speaking about orks, of a Tac squad with two flamers kill only about 7 orks in rapid fire range (3 for the flamers, 3 for the bolters, 1 for the heavy weapon), how are you handling hordes (termagaunts, orks, guards...) ?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/06/21 22:49:42


   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: