Switch Theme:

Tides of Destruction Battle Reports | Matched Play Kill Teams | Updated as of 9/28/18  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Probably Drunk




Colorado Springs

Nice work. Maelstrom really does make a big difference.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




that 2 hour limit bothers me.

Big army that goes slow and gets points early until they are thinned out? Doesn't seem fair to play against in a tournament setting when the game gets cut off on turn 3

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/08/30 08:42:21


 
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

stratigo wrote:
that 2 hour limit bothers me.

Big army that goes slow and gets points early until they are thinned out? Doesn't seem fair to play against in a tournament setting when the game gets cut off on turn 3


I can see that, I would have played them regardless of time limit. I was certainly hustling to get through my turns, as I said I think with some better terrain on some tables I'd have been able to squeeze another in for both my and my opponent. First time I've heard of a big army being unfair though.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 The Prince of Excess wrote:
stratigo wrote:
that 2 hour limit bothers me.

Big army that goes slow and gets points early until they are thinned out? Doesn't seem fair to play against in a tournament setting when the game gets cut off on turn 3


I can see that, I would have played them regardless of time limit. I was certainly hustling to get through my turns, as I said I think with some better terrain on some tables I'd have been able to squeeze another in for both my and my opponent. First time I've heard of a big army being unfair though.


Yeah I'm not blaming you. It's just a bummer. And I guarantee some people are looking to abuse this.

Tournies should probably have turn clocks.
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




So, do you think that the seven weirdboys was worth it, or would another 60 shoota-boyz have been just as good?
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

@stratigo | 40K needs to embrace that it's 2017 and use Death Clock like Warmachine does. Literally no excuse not to, tired of hearing whining about how devices might die. Almost every game has two smart phones between players and maybe laptops/tablets in addition. It's a superior system for the player, full stop.

@pismakron | Yes, I would have had a very tough road without them. Smite Spam works very well with Orks and when we get a Codex the expanded powers might make them better. They're the only realistic answer Orks have to big targets other than Tankbustas in a Squiggoth which I do not favor.

   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

Update with a Casual Game against Death Guard. Certainly some things to be learned if you're new to ITC Missions. :]

   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Harlow

Episode 46.. That Ork list was mega gross.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
"Casual game" Takes THE ork list?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/09/05 10:04:51


Age of Sigmar - Sylvaneth - 4,960.
Horus Heresy - World Eaters - 8,269.
Guildball - Falconers, Hunters, Masons.
Warhammer 40K - Death Guard - 2000. 
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Columbus

Love the write ups on your games! You give great insight on why you do things and what you see your opponent doing which makes for very great reading!

Never argue with an idiot you just lower yourself to their level.  
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

 AaronWilson wrote:
Episode 46.. That Ork list was mega gross.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
"Casual game" Takes THE ork list?


If you think that's mega gross I'd advise you don't look at tournament results, not for the faint of heart.

Yes, it is my tournament list but unfortunately I don't tend to buy much outside of what I want to take for tournament purposes. Also I have some transport issues which I'm trying to rectify, then I could also bring along some of my more fun pieces. But for casual I more meant tone, as I said I did some things I wouldn't usually do just in the spirit of fun. :]


@Cult of My Boy Blue - Thanks for the feedback, I try to walk through what I was thinking at the time and mix that with a nice dose of hindsight.

   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Harlow

Oh I know Orks aren't doing well AT ALL in the scheme of things, the Ork list you play is THE ork list. Green Tide backed by KMK / Weirdboys.

I felt sorry for your opponent on reading the lists

Age of Sigmar - Sylvaneth - 4,960.
Horus Heresy - World Eaters - 8,269.
Guildball - Falconers, Hunters, Masons.
Warhammer 40K - Death Guard - 2000. 
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

Got a game against Ultramarines with a very...unique Ork list. Post-game video goes more in depth on the list and where I'd like to take it moving forward.

   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Columbus

Interesting you went the giant squiggith route as I read your thoughts on using them or not and then ba'am you run two! Do you have any unique ideas for your tau list as well? Nice write up and it is always good to see girlyman die!

Never argue with an idiot you just lower yourself to their level.  
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

 Cult of My Boy Blue wrote:
Interesting you went the giant squiggith route as I read your thoughts on using them or not and then ba'am you run two! Do you have any unique ideas for your tau list as well? Nice write up and it is always good to see girlyman die!


My thoughts on them still pretty much stand, their shooting is bad for a few reasons and they don't live forever. But right now Orks only have so many options and if you need to do something besides Green Tide, Squigs are the way to go.

Unfortunately my Tau list is Commander Spam, I have tried to look over that book and find something else but Tau is a wasteland right now. To say I'm looking forward to Chapter Approved would be an understatement.

   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

New game with Tau against Raven Guard. Very one-sided as full disclosure but a lot of things to be learned about how to face Commander Spam and improving your game overall.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I did manage to just beat a green tide list in my own league tournament. Main difference is he prefers choppas and he took tankbusta truks in place of more wierdboyz (he had 2)
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

stratigo wrote:
I did manage to just beat a green tide list in my own league tournament. Main difference is he prefers choppas and he took tankbusta truks in place of more wierdboyz (he had 2)


I'm likely to move towards a Choppa/Shoota mix in each unit except one in my Green Tide games. Let's me pull casualties based on what I'm up against, for example Choppa Boyz are great against MEQ but Shootas are great against T3 armies. Tankbustas are great though, just not loving the Trukks. :[

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 The Prince of Excess wrote:
stratigo wrote:
I did manage to just beat a green tide list in my own league tournament. Main difference is he prefers choppas and he took tankbusta truks in place of more wierdboyz (he had 2)


I'm likely to move towards a Choppa/Shoota mix in each unit except one in my Green Tide games. Let's me pull casualties based on what I'm up against, for example Choppa Boyz are great against MEQ but Shootas are great against T3 armies. Tankbustas are great though, just not loving the Trukks. :[


Tankbustas were a dead weight against my style of army, which was mostly on foot with only a couple rhinos. The wierdboyz would 100 percent had a better time of it. I mean, he blew up the rhinos eventually, but otherwise only killed a couple of other marines with rockets considering I nuked down the majority of one unit the first turn having run out of targets after killling off one jumping boyz unit through tacticals with flamers (we were using NOVA terrain. If you watched the warhammer TV NOVA coverage, that's the board we used. The actual board, the warhammer tv guys grabbed it from my local shop XD).

His first jumping boyz failed their charge and were nuked off the table before anyone else could get into my lines. two of my tacticals that were pushed up aggressively to flame the jumping boyz and were murdered, but were an easy sacrifice to make, another squad jumped in in support of them and made it in, but only killed a few hellblasters, and the rest of his boyz couldn't manage a charge. And then I just... shot them all down, and charged the last unit of boyz.

It really impressed upon me that missile launchers are great for take all comers lists. If I had equipped my two dev squads with lascannons, I would have been stuck, but between the frags, my devs killed 60 plus orks in two turns with Guilliman reroll support.
   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Columbus

So if you had to pick an army to run for competitiveness right now, which one would you choose? (Orcs or Tau) Do you feel that you should have some more marklight support?

On the orcs, which list do you think is more competitive right now? Giant squigs or weirdboys galore?

(sorry lots of questions)

Lastly, what do you consider hard counters to both armies you are playing currently?

Never argue with an idiot you just lower yourself to their level.  
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

 Cult of My Boy Blue wrote:
So if you had to pick an army to run for competitiveness right now, which one would you choose? (Orcs or Tau) Do you feel that you should have some more marklight support?

On the orcs, which list do you think is more competitive right now? Giant squigs or weirdboys galore?

(sorry lots of questions)

Lastly, what do you consider hard counters to both armies you are playing currently?


I don't mind the questions, all I can give are my opinions of course.

Right now it's close and unfortunately both armies keep getting worse as new books come out. Death Guard are a problem for Tau with their cannot be shot Strategem and buffs to the zombies. AdMech is also looking problematic for Orks unless Kastelen Robots got a decent price increase as that much S6 Shooting with re-rolls will kill entire units and can also drop a Gargantuan Squig in one turn with ease. For the moment I'd say Tau with a slight edge, then the Garg Squig list, then Green Tide. They're all pretty close when I examine my meta and I'd say the same order if I were to go to a big event.

I actually reworked my list to have more Markerlight support. The problem with Markerlights on regular guys is they hit on 5's which is a complete nightmare. I'd really like to see them moved to Assault Weapons on the Codex. Generally three a turn is plenty and they're only a must have when Overcharging, although they're of course nice to have all the time. The other issue with Pathfinders/Fire Warriors is they're just not at all resilient so the moment they pop their head out it's trivial to remove them. That's why I'm transitioning toward another Cadre Fireblade.

Hard Counters to both armies, well Imperial Soup shuts both down but that's the best list going and I'm playing Xenos armies without books. For Orks it's anything that can handle the skew I take, typically a Guilliman gunline can do that well but some of the other lists like Azrael and Dreadnoughts do the same thing. For Tau screens are essential, which are in vogue right now, as I have to chew through the screen and then take a punch. Commanders aren't that resilient if you can hit them with heavy weapons from multiple sources. Also Smite Spam hurts Tau badly so Malefic Lords and Primaris Psykers are bad news.

   
Made in us
Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





Albany, NY

 The Prince of Excess wrote:
Got a game against Ultramarines with a very...unique Ork list.
Caught up on your reports yesterday, and this one was definitely my favorite. Partially because of Girlyman's fate, but I also find that squig list more interesting to read about than the Tide or CommanderSpam (in which cases I'll admit I'm mostly waiting for you to come up against something equally tuned to see how the lists really perform ).

- Salvage

CORUSCATING III: AOS TIZZ REPORTS 
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

 Boss Salvage wrote:
 The Prince of Excess wrote:
Got a game against Ultramarines with a very...unique Ork list.
Caught up on your reports yesterday, and this one was definitely my favorite. Partially because of Girlyman's fate, but I also find that squig list more interesting to read about than the Tide or CommanderSpam (in which cases I'll admit I'm mostly waiting for you to come up against something equally tuned to see how the lists really perform ).

- Salvage


Yeah unfortunately I'm one of the more competitively minded players in my state so finding even matches can be hard. That's why I tried to transition the Battle Reports towards more of what I think could be done against me should I lose as that might be more valuable/useful to people. I do like the Squiggoth list, just don't know if I want to buy a second Baneblade to flesh it out!

   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 The Prince of Excess wrote:
 Boss Salvage wrote:
 The Prince of Excess wrote:
Got a game against Ultramarines with a very...unique Ork list.
Caught up on your reports yesterday, and this one was definitely my favorite. Partially because of Girlyman's fate, but I also find that squig list more interesting to read about than the Tide or CommanderSpam (in which cases I'll admit I'm mostly waiting for you to come up against something equally tuned to see how the lists really perform ).

- Salvage


Yeah unfortunately I'm one of the more competitively minded players in my state so finding even matches can be hard. That's why I tried to transition the Battle Reports towards more of what I think could be done against me should I lose as that might be more valuable/useful to people. I do like the Squiggoth list, just don't know if I want to buy a second Baneblade to flesh it out!


Squiggoths are very easy to put together. You just need a toy dinosaur of appropriate size and some kind of container. And glue. Try out the regular squiggoths also. They are only T7 but they have the advantage of not needing to buy useless guns.

Personally I look forward to using the squigs with a raven guard/alpha legion style infiltrate stratagem, if we get one in the codex. I wonder what can be done about nerfing first turn advantage with such shenanigans in play.

I like the batreps. Regards
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

pismakron wrote:
 The Prince of Excess wrote:
 Boss Salvage wrote:
 The Prince of Excess wrote:
Got a game against Ultramarines with a very...unique Ork list.
Caught up on your reports yesterday, and this one was definitely my favorite. Partially because of Girlyman's fate, but I also find that squig list more interesting to read about than the Tide or CommanderSpam (in which cases I'll admit I'm mostly waiting for you to come up against something equally tuned to see how the lists really perform ).

- Salvage


Yeah unfortunately I'm one of the more competitively minded players in my state so finding even matches can be hard. That's why I tried to transition the Battle Reports towards more of what I think could be done against me should I lose as that might be more valuable/useful to people. I do like the Squiggoth list, just don't know if I want to buy a second Baneblade to flesh it out!


Squiggoths are very easy to put together. You just need a toy dinosaur of appropriate size and some kind of container. And glue. Try out the regular squiggoths also. They are only T7 but they have the advantage of not needing to buy useless guns.

Personally I look forward to using the squigs with a raven guard/alpha legion style infiltrate stratagem, if we get one in the codex. I wonder what can be done about nerfing first turn advantage with such shenanigans in play.

I like the batreps. Regards


Yes I've been told that but I think it looks horrible and kind of....goes against the spirit of the game. But that is a personal opinion only. I'd be surprised if Squiggoths got to sneak around though, but it would be hilarious.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




your deathguard army makes me a bit sad. It's death guard led by magnus. That just feels gross to me. You could make a competitive list that doesn't tap dance over the fluff like that
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

stratigo wrote:
your deathguard army makes me a bit sad. It's death guard led by magnus. That just feels gross to me. You could make a competitive list that doesn't tap dance over the fluff like that


The fluff isn't one of the reasons I care about or like the game so it's not important to me if it's honored or not. I know it is to some and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not on my list of things a list or army needs to have. For what it's worth the army will all be visually tied together, that is something I try to do because it's weird when nothing in an army matches. But that's of course all subjective.

   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

New game against Death Korps, running my Chaos list against a very artillery heavy army. I also did a spoken word report that I did not update the thread for but it is on the list, Episode 49. I'm learning a lot about Chaos and it's fun to have an army that's very different from my Tau and Orks. Now I just need to get the models together.....

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 The Prince of Excess wrote:
stratigo wrote:
your deathguard army makes me a bit sad. It's death guard led by magnus. That just feels gross to me. You could make a competitive list that doesn't tap dance over the fluff like that


The fluff isn't one of the reasons I care about or like the game so it's not important to me if it's honored or not. I know it is to some and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not on my list of things a list or army needs to have. For what it's worth the army will all be visually tied together, that is something I try to do because it's weird when nothing in an army matches. But that's of course all subjective.


I never get people who disregard the fluff. It's not like 40k is the best balanced and most competitive wargame around. If you aren't into the setting, what draws you to 40k over it's competitors?

Albeit the new army is fine, i could see Magnus rocking support of abbadon.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/09/25 11:33:22


 
   
Made in us
Warwick Kinrade




Mesa, Arizona

Back from a bit of an absence with Chaos vs. Space Wolves. Ended up as a very enjoyable game and it's been fun to evolve my Chaos list.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




*Checks the new game. Sees 7 malefic lords. Dies a little inside*

Malefic lord nerf cannot come soon enough!

That battle could not have gone any other way. If I were the SW player, I'd take a look at the list and hold out my hand. Small model count army against THAT many smites? There's just no way.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/10/17 10:34:30


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Battle Reports
Go to: