Switch Theme:

SOB Diversity  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter




 the_scotsman wrote:
FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
There is no law saying you can't paint your armies however you choose, and if you are talking in the fluff, there are multiple examples in the books of sisters with dark skin, or extremely pale skin. Given that the majority of humanity exists on planets outside our solar system, it's not hard to see why there wouldn't be say, Asian SoB, as there is no "Asia" on planet Zeebes 17, which doesn't even have a sun, if it wasn't a hive world in the first place.

So yeah, don't look at the SoB as if they ALL come from Terran stock. They don't. Most come from different worlds that have radically different evolutionary paths.


True, but, your asian-inspired sisters of battle DO all have to be covered in fleurs-de-lys and eagles and the various mishmash of random cultures that people vaguely throw together and point at and scream "WEST, THIS IS THE WEST OVER HERE ITS WHAT WESTERN CIVILIZATION LOOKS LIKE"


I view this the same exact way I view FSM intercessors. With the helmets on, who can tell the difference? Leave the helmets on and say they are the magical pixie sisters from Kalamazoo, Michigan, and they all have black skin and Asiatic features, because no one can tell with the helmets off. And you don't have to put any iconography on them you don't want to. Paint over the raised markings, or better yet, shave them down. Make them YOUR DUDES, or PEOPLE, whatever you want to call them, or habve them be. The Helmet protects the head cannon and the rules already state you can choose which you like, or make your own (Or is that just Astartest chapters?)

People need to feel more at ease with doing whatever the F they want with their toy soldiers. GW won't tell you to sod off if you show up with FSM or black Bulfen or Silver Custodes, or Green IF. They are YOUR MODELS.
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Yeah, don't underestimate the effect local beliefs can have on a centralized religion.
Hell, some very important Catholic religions are the product of local influences.

Doesn't the Eccleisarchy pretty much do the same anything, where they take a local planet's religion and say its an aspect of the Emperor?
They absolutely do, but that isn't the same as their commanderies or preceptories - that's more what they do to ensure compliance, and is a tactic most used by their preachers and missionaries. Sisters of Battle, because they are drawn from the Schola, and therefore from a fairly standardised recruitment base, don't need to try and combine that with existing regional beliefs - their recruits only know the core tenets of the Imperial Creed, and nothing else.

Basically, because of how Sisters are recruited, you don't *need* to create these hybrid religious systems, whereas Space Marines, because they recruit from the direct populace, often tie into the cultures and practices of the people they came from.

Again - if *your* Sisters recruit from the local populace, or do something otherwise unseen, you do that! However, because such customisability is not presented by GW, Sisters are not a faction that is so defined by their diversity as other factions are.


Hm, fair enough. I do find it odd how a religious order somehow does not adopt local customs in some form, if only to facilitate the spread of the faith and ensure loyalty among the populace, but if it's not supported by the fluff then it's not supported by the fluff.

What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
I do find it odd how a religious order somehow does not adopt local customs in some form, if only to facilitate the spread of the faith and ensure loyalty among the populace, but if it's not supported by the fluff then it's not supported by the fluff.
Again, it's not that the Ecclesiarchy don't adopt local customs and suchlike, one of my favourite Deathwatch RPG pregen missions is all about the Ecclesiarchy asking for some Deathwatch to be loaned for a mission because the locals would respect the strength of Space Marines, and the Space Marines would be more useful in creating that cultural crossover - but the Deathwatch were only a temporary measure, and the point stands that the Sisters aren't there primarily to act as missionaries: they're there to act as the strong arm of the Ecclesiarchy.

Think of them as the strange foreign bodyguards that the "nice" "friendly" preacher brought with them, than them being the preachers themselves, I suppose?


They/them

 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
I do find it odd how a religious order somehow does not adopt local customs in some form, if only to facilitate the spread of the faith and ensure loyalty among the populace, but if it's not supported by the fluff then it's not supported by the fluff.
Again, it's not that the Ecclesiarchy don't adopt local customs and suchlike, one of my favourite Deathwatch RPG pregen missions is all about the Ecclesiarchy asking for some Deathwatch to be loaned for a mission because the locals would respect the strength of Space Marines, and the Space Marines would be more useful in creating that cultural crossover - but the Deathwatch were only a temporary measure, and the point stands that the Sisters aren't there primarily to act as missionaries: they're there to act as the strong arm of the Ecclesiarchy.

Think of them as the strange foreign bodyguards that the "nice" "friendly" preacher brought with them, than them being the preachers themselves, I suppose?


A.T. wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:
But that dogma implies aesthethic? Have never the SOB gone "native"?
The militant sisters exist to enforce the dogma.

Priests do 'go native' to appeal to the masses and move them towards the imperial creed, the sisters are more about setting the masses on fire if they rise up against it. Their whole lives are spent in strict adherence to their creed and more often than not as a symbolic representation of the Ecclesiarchys power - they aren't about making themselves more relatable or individual.

Oh. Ok yeah that distinction makes sense.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/30 21:58:56


What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Withput getting in too deep as I'm not up to speed on huge amounts of the lore, but iirc, isn't most of the sisters orders based on a small number of locations? Convent sanctorum on Ophelia vii and convent priories on terra?

Most of what I've read suggests differences between the orders that would be more akin to something like the differences between 2 individual great companies (and/or their lords) of the Space wolves- ultimately they sing off the same hymn sheets. Equipment is centrally produced, training is centrally produced, culture seems more stifling etc. As they say though, the galaxy is large and I'm sure plenty girls hold onto some aspects of their homeworld when they go through training, or else they're trained locally.

For all that though, Gw seems to want to present a far more 'uniform' image of all the sisters orders and a far more cohesive and narrow theme rather than the vast tapestry of source material for the likes of the Space Marines, or even the guard.

Should that stop you? My all means, if you want none of the ornate catholic nun, tabards, fleur de lises, flamers etc, and all of the Space bear themed, pelt wearing axe wielding barbarian warrior-women based on nordic legends go for it - while its a departure from what is commonly conceived as a 'sisters of battle' to the point where you could argue 'she's no sister!" at all, I'm personally all for it, but I've not seen many minis or bits that could be used to facilitate this project.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/30 22:10:33


greatest band in the universe: machine supremacy

"Punch your fist in the air and hold your Gameboy aloft like the warrior you are" 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




I mean would SOB with a bit less blight, a pony tail or a slightly different armor "break the lore" in any degree?

Are they really meant to be the complete polar opposite of Adeptus Astartes in that just like every astartes apparently is an individual hero with an individual story and unique equipment but all the millions upon millions of SOB in the IOM are exactly identical to each other?

Cant there be some grey ground, some nuance?
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Vatsetis wrote:


For someone so hellbent on introducing FSM you seem very rigid towards how other factions can be depicted.

Anyway this thread is not about comparing SOB to Adeptus Astartes "Kustum boyz"... Its about the Sorotitas and how they could be depicted outside their main aesthetic.


I don't see any contridiction here, he's simply saying "this is how the fluff presents them, and thus this is the facts we have, if you wanna do something else, go for it"

when someone asks a lore question they need to expect to get an answer, even if it's not the answer they're not looking for.

Here's some relevant points to sisters of battle. (and contrast these points with how space marines operate to understand why sisters of battle likely will never have "space wolf style divergant orders"

1: All sisters of battle are trained in the same 2 locations
2: All sisters of Battle receive their weapon and equipment from said 2 locations.
3: All minor orders are also, in theory answerable to one of the 6 major orders.

the sisters of battle are simply, per the fluff the most centralized orginization in the Imperium of Man

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Vatsetis wrote:I mean would SOB with a bit less blight, a pony tail or a slightly different armor "break the lore" in any degree?
Less blight? What?
Why would a ponytail break any lore? That's a hairstyle, evidently the Sororitas have a variety of hairstyles - nothing implies that a ponytail would be improper.
Define "different armour"?

Are they really meant to be the complete polar opposite of Adeptus Astartes in that just like every astartes apparently is an individual hero with an individual story and unique equipment but all the millions upon millions of SOB in the IOM are exactly identical to each other?
Literally no-one claimed either of those two things?

Cant there be some grey ground, some nuance?
No-one said there wasn't any.

You asked a question. People gave a response, a response that was overwhelmingly "Sisters aren't known for being diverse, but if you want it, it's yours", and you took that to mean "THERE'S NO DIVERSITY AT ALL, SISTERS ARE EXACTLY IDENTICAL, THERE'S NO GREY AREA"??

Did you actually read your own thread?



Automatically Appended Next Post:
BrianDavion wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:


For someone so hellbent on introducing FSM you seem very rigid towards how other factions can be depicted.

Anyway this thread is not about comparing SOB to Adeptus Astartes "Kustum boyz"... Its about the Sorotitas and how they could be depicted outside their main aesthetic.


I don't see any contridiction here, he's simply saying "this is how the fluff presents them, and thus this is the facts we have, if you wanna do something else, go for it"

when someone asks a lore question they need to expect to get an answer, even if it's not the answer they're not looking for.

Here's some relevant points to sisters of battle. (and contrast these points with how space marines operate to understand why sisters of battle likely will never have "space wolf style divergant orders"

1: All sisters of battle are trained in the same 2 locations
2: All sisters of Battle receive their weapon and equipment from said 2 locations.
3: All minor orders are also, in theory answerable to one of the 6 major orders.

the sisters of battle are simply, per the fluff the most centralized orginization in the Imperium of Man
Just a few corrections, in the interest of keeping the argument straight:
- Sisters are trained on more than just Terra and Ophelia VII, it's just that those are the two main strongholds of the Sororitas. They are still spread out, but are trained by the Schola Progenium, and so are playing all from the same cultural background regardless.

- Similarly, equipment likely comes from multiple sources, but is likely to be standardised, because, as mentioned, the Sororitas are a symbol of Ecclesiarchical unity and force.

- I believe that some minor orders don't form entirely as offshoots of the main 6 major orders, and so might not be beholden to direct authority - however, they would almost certainly defer out of respect/political authority.

- It's they, please, thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/30 22:46:29



They/them

 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




BrianDavion wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:



the sisters of battle are simply, per the fluff the most centralized orginization in the Imperium of Man


Ok, even if this was true at face value and could be taken 100% as literally true... what happends to a group of SOB that for instances have been for decades without any contact with the rest of the SOB orders and are not even in contact with the broader imperium because their system is blocked by a warp storm?

Wouldnt they develop their own disctinct culture? wouldnt they be forced to adopt local equipment as their standard one deteriorates? even local recruits to continue enforcing their duty? wouldnt their faith be tested and they will need to adapt to the circunstances of prolonged isolation?

That sort of think is ment to be happenning constantly in the setting. No?

If we have millions upon millions of SOB in the IOM its probable that the numbers of "Rogue" or "Native" SOB is bigger than the 1 million loyalist Astartes in service.

That we dont have a GW model (yet) or a BL novel (yet) to reflect so, it dosent mean that it dosent happen or exist in the setting... if the IOM is almost infinite in extension and population, SOB cannot be treated as clones or drones no matter how centralised their structure is.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:I mean would SOB with a bit less blight, a pony tail or a slightly different armor "break the lore" in any degree?
Less blight? What?


I meant bling, sorry for the mispelling.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:
Why would a ponytail break any lore? That's a hairstyle, evidently the Sororitas have a variety of hairstyles - nothing implies that a ponytail would be improper.
Define "different armour"?

.


Well since SOB art and minatures dont have pony tails perhaps there is some dogma that prevent them from doing so, you know because they have to adhere to a very strict aesthetic per the "lore", apparently.

"Slightly different armour" is self explanatory... is power armor but is aesthethically different, or has some non standard parts.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/30 23:27:40


 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Vatsetis wrote:
Wouldnt they develop their own disctinct culture? wouldnt they be forced to adopt local equipment as their standard one deteriorates? even local recruits to continue enforcing their duty? wouldnt their faith be tested and they will need to adapt to the circunstances of prolonged isolation?
They might develop their own culture. They also might just double down on whatever doctrines they already had. It's your Sisters, you decide how they adapt. No-one's saying you can't.

That we dont have a GW model (yet) or a BL novel (yet) to reflect so, it dosent mean that it dosent happen or exist in the setting...
Absolutely true. But you didn't ask that, did you? You asked how diverse Sisters were, which means that, if you wanted an answer, that would imply you wanted to know what the lore said.

Now, if you want to question that lore, or how relevant it is, you totally can - but that's not what your main topic was.
if the IOM is almost infinite in extension and population, SOB cannot be treated as clones or drones no matter how centralised their structure is.
It's a good job that no-one claimed that.


If you don't mind making up strawmen, I think you'll find that we're all in agreement then?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/30 23:29:01



They/them

 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Have you ever played "Chinese Whispers"?

Ergo the game where you whisper a little phrase into a persons ear, then they repeat it and whisper into another persons and so on and so on. Typically even within a small group of 10 or 20 people by the time you reach the end some of the message has changed.

Even without anyone in the group making a deliberate choice to change it, the message will alter just a bit. Throw someone making an intentional change and it can change a lot.



The Imperium is a LOT like that. Travel across it takes considerable time and its possible to take people from one region to another and basically isolate them. Even following strict rules and doctrine there will be changes. Changes caused by local conditions; by access to resources; by shifts in attitude and more. So yes a group of Sisters might well have less bling to their armour. Perhaps they were isolated a long long way from home and their weapons and equipment could be serviced and if need be replaced, but they lacked resources to make them flashy because of pressure for instant results for combat and such. So steadily a few icons and insignias are lost. Give it a few generations and suddenly if they met more "Core" world SoB, there would be a marked difference in the armour and designs.



A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:

Did you actually read your own thread?



Reading is for lossers.
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Vatsetis wrote:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Vatsetis wrote:I mean would SOB with a bit less blight, a pony tail or a slightly different armor "break the lore" in any degree?
Less blight? What?


I meant bling, sorry for the mispelling.
Sure. You'll have to cut it physically off the models GW makes, but you can do that if you want to. However, the fact you would physically have to cut it off implies that GW didn't really intend for that to be done. It doesn't mean you *can't*, only that, in response to your original question, GW did not perhaps intend to Sisters to be bereft of that.


 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Why would a ponytail break any lore? That's a hairstyle, evidently the Sororitas have a variety of hairstyles - nothing implies that a ponytail would be improper.
Define "different armour"?.


Well since SOB art and minatures dont have pony tails perhaps there is some dogma that prevent them from doing so, you know because they have to adhere to a very strict aesthetic per the "lore", apparently.
... first, I've never seen a Sister of Battle with the colour scheme that I've painted mine in, does that mean that there's dogma that prevents it? No, not at all - only that GW haven't made it. Don't be dense.

And no-one claimed that you need to adhere to a strict aesthetic - only that GW have *presented* a narrow aesthetic range, implying that Sisters aren't designed to be a particularly diverse faction in the way Astartes are - but that doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want with your own models. Again, if you could avoid suggesting that people are saying that, when they aren't, that would be welcome.

"Slightly different armour" is self explanatory... is power armor but is aesthethically different, or has some non standard parts.
Could you describe these differences? There's a wealth of difference between aesthetics. What might you have in mind?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Vatsetis wrote:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
Did you actually read your own thread?

Reading is for lossers.
So, at best, you're admitting to not engaging honestly, or at worst, you're trolling.

Why did you make this thread?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/08/30 23:37:08



They/them

 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Overread wrote:
Have you ever played "Chinese Whispers"?

Ergo the game where you whisper a little phrase into a persons ear, then they repeat it and whisper into another persons and so on and so on. Typically even within a small group of 10 or 20 people by the time you reach the end some of the message has changed.

Even without anyone in the group making a deliberate choice to change it, the message will alter just a bit. Throw someone making an intentional change and it can change a lot.

The Imperium is a LOT like that. Travel across it takes considerable time and its possible to take people from one region to another and basically isolate them. Even following strict rules and doctrine there will be changes. Changes caused by local conditions; by access to resources; by shifts in attitude and more. So yes a group of Sisters might well have less bling to their armour. Perhaps they were isolated a long long way from home and their weapons and equipment could be serviced and if need be replaced, but they lacked resources to make them flashy because of pressure for instant results for combat and such. So steadily a few icons and insignias are lost. Give it a few generations and suddenly if they met more "Core" world SoB, there would be a marked difference in the armour and designs.



That's a thought. The Imperium's bureaucracy and logistics network is pretty rubbish. It could be that instead of getting proper supplies for their gear, an order of sisters got something completely different and they had to improvise.

What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






surely they could just change the bit of lore to get some diversity in SOB...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Argive wrote:
surely they could just change the bit of lore to get some diversity in SOB...


they could and honestly I'd not object to them doing it.. but there's a few things I'd like to see retconned from a better "your guys" POV.

the grey Knights for example I'd like to see moved from a chapter to a "quasi legion" with each 8 brotherhoods being 1000 men strong. (this would make the grandmasters of a bortherhood and a brother-captain make a lot more sense IMHO) with each brotherhood actually haveing their own unique colour scheme

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Pretty much agree with everything Smudge has been saying.

Basically, there are reasons that sisters are less *likely* to have major aesthetic differences from each other, but there's nothing canonical that says such differences can't exist here and there.

If your guard army is dressed up in samurai armor, that's not terribly unusual; they probably just come from a homeworld that favors that style of armor for some reason. If your sisters have samurai armor, there's probably a story there. There's probably a reason their batch of armor is so different from the vast majority of sororitas armor.

Basically, there's no canonical rule that says sisters can't be dressed like samurai (or whatever), but there are canonical reasons that they *usually* aren't. Namely their shared culture (most sisters went to school in the same handful of locations) and their seemingly somewhat standardized sources of equipment. A sister is less likely to be dressed as a samurai than a guardsman, but there's no reason your army can't be a minor order that just so happens to wear samurai power armor.
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




So if you manage to get bits to put some fur cloaks over your sister, heads with "nordic" hairstyles and proxy the power mazes with power axes and power lances... You have your "not viking", "not shield maiden" Sorotitas (with an adecuate background story about being isolated for a long time in a fenrisian like planet) that are totally compliant with the church dogma and dont break the lore in the slightest manner, right??

So certainly the lore frames AS as more decentralized and SOB as more centralized, but in practical terms there is a huge grey area to costumize your army and lore as you like, right?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 06:23:51


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




In theory, sure, but in 'practical terms', you dont really see the alternatives either presented or suggested overtly or covertly though.

You'd probably need a lore change of a handful of words here and there to open up more 'unorthodox' approaches to sisters as an absolute (I mean, can you remove all thr visual queues and change everything that is currently understood to be a Sister and still claim shes a sister and compliant with the dogma?), along with alternative models/sculpts/bits and that's not a bad thing. but in the meantime if you want to go less church and more barbarian, go for it - but I think the kits to allow this, either third party or gw are thin on the ground.

Anvil industry's 'daughters of the burning rose' comes to mind as an obvious third party alternative but they're still strongly gothic, medieval knight/'not-sisters' heavy armour themed.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/08/31 07:47:45


 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




Well there is no need to "remove" that much... You can maintain the flor de lys and by adding a wolf/bear cloak you certainly change the aesthetic of the SOB. Same with changing the hairstyle to a more pseudo barbarian one.

I mean going native dosent mean you are unrecognosible... Just look to Col Kurtz men at the end of apocalipse now... They are obviously us army men but certainly have a different look from the fresh recruits on the boot camp.

It seems challenging but viable as a modeling project, dont you think?

Those "Daughters of the burning rose" from Anvil seem to be as costumizable as other 3rd party "Not SM" miniatures... Green stuff can do miracles.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 08:21:22


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Vatsetis wrote:
Well there is no need to "remove" that much... You can maintain the flor de lys and by adding a wolf/bear cloak you certainly change the aesthetic of the SOB. Same with changing the hairstyle to a more pseudo barbarian one.

I mean going native dosent mean you are unrecognosible... Just look to Col Kurtz men at the end of apocalipse now... They are obviously us army men but certainly have a different look from the fresh recruits on the boot camp.

It seems challenging but viable as a modeling project, dont you think?

Those "Daughters of the burning rose" from Anvil seem to be as costumizable as other 3rd party "Not SM" miniatures... Green stuff can do miracles.


Sure.

You might want to look at spellcrow as well for 'not space wolf' bits - they've got fur tabards, cloaks etc- I'd considered them for my barbarian-themed Minotaurs bladeguard but maybe they'd be worth looking at for your project as well.

Plenty third party or even gw ranges would work for alternative heads too.

Anvil range is great, my only point is it's very thematically centred around medieval plate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/31 09:18:07


greatest band in the universe: machine supremacy

"Punch your fist in the air and hold your Gameboy aloft like the warrior you are" 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Argive wrote:surely they could just change the bit of lore to get some diversity in SOB...
Totally! As I've said, if the lore is being used to *prevent* player creativity, then that lore should be amended. In this situation, I'd like to see more emphasis on alternative forms of Sisters of Battle, because as they are presented by GW, they are not as diverse as they could be (and by diversity, I do not refer to ethnicity, as this *is* actually addressed).

Wyldhunt wrote:Basically, there are reasons that sisters are less *likely* to have major aesthetic differences from each other, but there's nothing canonical that says such differences can't exist here and there.
... A sister is less likely to be dressed as a samurai than a guardsman, but there's no reason your army can't be a minor order that just so happens to wear samurai power armor.
Deadnight wrote:In theory, sure, but in 'practical terms', you dont really see the alternatives either presented or suggested overtly or covertly though.

...if you want to go less church and more barbarian, go for it - but I think the kits to allow this, either third party or gw are thin on the ground.

Deadnight and Wyldhunt nail it perfectly. It's not that there's some great rule that you *can't* make your Sisters how you want to, but that it is not incentivised as part of their core design. From a core design standpoint, Sisters are portrayed by GW nearly universally as drawing heavily from Catholic symbols and aesthetic influences. This isn't to say that it's impossible or wrong that you could have Sororitas who are more influenced by other aesthetic styles, but that this is not incentivised in the same way that it is for other factions.

Spoiler:
And I bring up other factions so much because I don't believe for a second that this argument OP has presented is entirely in good faith or purely asking about Sisters of Battle.
I would like if that were the case, and this *were* just an innocuous questioning of the lore, but factoring that this thread was created after OP's previous near-immediate locking after attempting to open another women Astartes thread, in which several arguments presented very vocally rebuked the idea of "Sisters = Space Marines" on the basis that Sisters were not marketed as being as diverse as Astartes, and that the OP themselves has admitted to not bothering to read the comments presented here, I'm not convinced that this thread isn't intended to be some kind of continuation of that other thread.

Irrespective of that, understanding that Sisters, while having room (like any 40k faction) for player creativity, are not designed for it in the same way that other factions are is still an important nuance to recognise in this discussion.


Vatsetis wrote:So if you manage to get bits to put some fur cloaks over your sister, heads with "nordic" hairstyles and proxy the power mazes with power axes and power lances... You have your "not viking", "not shield maiden" Sorotitas (with an adecuate background story about being isolated for a long time in a fenrisian like planet) that are totally compliant with the church dogma and dont break the lore in the slightest manner, right??
Totally compliant with Ecclesiarchy dogma? No. Does that mean they break the lore? Also no.

The lore is big enough that there's enough exceptions to any rule presented in 40k. This includes Sisters who adopt a non-standard appearance, or whatever other "lore-breaking" scenarios you can imagine. Rules in 40k lore shouldn't be "rules" to the actual people playing the games.

So certainly the lore frames AS as more decentralized and SOB as more centralized, but in practical terms there is a huge grey area to costumize your army and lore as you like, right?
It's presented as a smaller grey area than in other factions where the grey area is explicitly huge (like Guardsmen and Astartes), but a grey area exists, as it does with any faction, yes.



Vatsetis wrote:Well there is no need to "remove" that much...
...It seems challenging but viable as a modeling project, dont you think?
...Green stuff can do miracles.
These responses indicate exactly *why* we emphasis that Sisters are not incentivised as a "diverse" faction. Unlike many other 40k factions, who are often presented with plenty of bits and resources from GW themselves to convert and tailor their models, Sisters don't have this kind of ready access. As you say yourself, it would be challenging, and require lots of greenstuff to pull off notable aesthetic changes - this is coupled with how GW don't really present alternative aesthetics for the Sororitas.

Again, all this to say that it's not that you can't, or shouldn't, create alternative designs for your Sisters of Battle if you so want to; only that Sisters are not marketed or incentivised in that way.


They/them

 
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




Marketing is detrimental to any healthy hobby experience... Marketing only exist to drain money of your pockets and creativity from your brains.
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Vatsetis wrote:
Marketing is detrimental to any healthy hobby experience... Marketing only exist to drain money of your pockets and creativity from your brains.
Yeah, that's not entirely true at all - in fact, that's an incredibly hyperbolic claim.

However, it's not really on topic for your own thread, is it?

As said - Sisters are perfectly customisable if you so want to, but it would be a lie to claim that they've been afforded the same opportunities to be customised that other factions have been given.


They/them

 
   
Made in fr
Stalwart Tribune





Is it a fact that all sisters are trained by the Schola Progenium? I know that they'll usually pick the most promising recruits, but that doesn't mean that this is the only source of new sisters.

I could see devout parents pushing their daughters to serve the Emperor by joining the adepta sororitas, for example. If this is a thing, then the sisters would have a much less uniform culture/education.
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






It won't be the only source and I'm not 100% sure it ever was. For the Schola background, it would say that the Sororitas get the second pick of girls after the Inquisition but I don't think SoB background said they only recruited from the Schola.
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




 Tiennos wrote:
Is it a fact that all sisters are trained by the Schola Progenium? I know that they'll usually pick the most promising recruits, but that doesn't mean that this is the only source of new sisters.

I could see devout parents pushing their daughters to serve the Emperor by joining the adepta sororitas, for example. If this is a thing, then the sisters would have a much less uniform culture/education.


Im proper Grimdark fashion, devout parents will inmolate themselves against a local heretic club so that their now orphan daugther could avenge them as a SOB.
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Professional




Nottingham, England

From a lore perspective the Sisters have a faith that is very very strict without interpretation. Their armour and weapons are seen as blessed / holy artefacts in themselves hence why there is such uniformity. Whilst there are different orders , they are all part of the same faith and the worship of that faith is not allowed to be varied for the sisters.
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




So if a Squads of SOB that have been isolated 40 years from the broader IOM happend to wear a bear cape to remember a particularly strong fight against the heresy and to honour their fallen... they will be killed on sight without question when they reunite with their order because they are themselve heretics?

What happends when some part of the Sorotitas armor breaks and she dont have available spare parts? those she commit suicide to preserve the "holy symmetry"?

If SOB dont have more white dye... do they inmolate to prevent such a great dishonor to the IOM and the Church?

Is there any sort of reason that between the theory and the practices of the SOB their is not some level of contradiction? After all they are just regular humans, with regular fellings, not servitors.
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






You've been told so many times now that you can do what you want with your stuff but that the background/models for SoB make it difficult to do so. That's the answer to your question.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: