Switch Theme:

40K RPG WRATH & GLORY - Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay returns!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Hard-Wired Sentinel Pilot




Oakland, CA

The pertinent information from Ross' interview on Gaming Trend is:

- The system, while it pays homage to TORG Eternity, D&D 5th, and others, is a ground-up build
- Characters, and presumably NPCs, will have "Tiers" that represent their power level, with Tier 1 being gritty, and more advanced Tiers being more epic.
- Tiers will provide balance between disparate PCs
- Confirmed that the first campaign is Imperium Nihilus and the seconf is Doom of the Eldar[/list]
   
Made in nl
[DCM]
Indomitable hell rider of glorious renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

Another newsletter has been put out.

Welcome to all our new and returning subscribers!

This month's social media section is going to be lighter, because we have quite a bit of information in the Designer Diary. We have had a few new interviews come out since the last newsletter, so be sure to check our Twitter or Facebook feeds for those links.

The big thing I want to remind people about is the Ulisses North America Forums, where we have a dedicated Wrath & Glory section. I know there isn't much to discuss right now, but we're starting to see a little bit of traffic. In particular, I wanted to mention that the moderator for just the Wrath & Glory forums is Wendelyn Reischl, who you will meet in more detail below.

With that, I will leave it to Ross to introduce the team!

-Eric Simon, Social Media Coordinator, Ulisses North America


Designer Diary: Meet the Team
Hello readers, Ross Watson from Ulisses North America here. One of the best things about working on Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory is that I get to collaborate with a highly talented and creative set of designers. The Wrath & Glory design team features some truly great writers, and it is an honor to work with them on this project.

Some of these people have worked with me several times in the past, like Owen Barnes (who has the distinction of writing for every single version of Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay), Andrea Gausman, and Will Thrasher. Others are brand new to the RPG industry, like Wendelyn Reischl and Stephen Rhodes. Neophyte or veteran, the Wrath & Glory team are no stranger to understanding games and the grim darkness of the far future. Some are scribes who have written deep and engaging novels for the Black Library, some have crafted compelling experiences in video games, some have built amazingly well-attended LARPS.

And the team is still growing. The individuals I am highlighting today are just those involved with the initial products for Wrath & Glory! Many more books are planned and we have more writers and designers who will join us as the line grows.

Today, I am pleased to have this opportunity to introduce the initial roster for the Wrath & Glory design team:


- Owen Barnes
- Ben Counter
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden
- John Dunn
- Andrea Gausman
- Jeff Hall
- Bill Keyes
- W. Jason Peck
- Wendelyn A. Reischl
- Andy Smillie
- Will Thrasher

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in us
Hard-Wired Sentinel Pilot




Oakland, CA

Yes, seeing Aaron Dembski-Bowden on the list was a pleasant surprise!
   
Made in us
Hard-Wired Sentinel Pilot




Oakland, CA

Ulisses posted an interview with James Layton of the Grim Dark Podcast - posted here - who had just playtested the game.

New info:
--- The game achieves the fast-paced, action-oriented, 40K feel
--- Critical hits, which use a card deck are vivid and fun
--- All the 40K archtypes you would expect are present
--- The game is quick to learn and all the info you need in on your character sheet
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA


Designer Diary

Greetings, Wrath & Glory fans! I’m very pleased to talk about one of the main features of our game: the dice system. When I first began work on the design for Wrath & Glory, I knew that I wanted something that would work well for an Imperial Guardsman facing down a Genstealer Cultist, and at the same time provide a framework for the Rogue Trader performing a delicate negotiation with an Eldar Farseer. I wanted a system that would be easy to learn and provide a good amount of depth without plunging into a well of complexity.

You may have seen some of the videos or heard some of the interviews where I’ve spoken about Wrath & Glory as a “d6 dice pool system.” And that is exactly what it is, inspired by some great examples of other systems from the past that I’ve enjoyed, by other elements of modern game design, and by my own tweaks and innovations.

The basics: to accomplish most tasks in Wrath & Glory, you assemble a dice pool of d6s (commonly adding an attribute and the appropriate skill) and make a roll. Any dice with a result of 1-3 are considered “failures,” any dice with a result of 4-5 count as one success (an “icon”) and dice with a result of 6 count as two successes (an “exalted icon”). You count up the icons you achieved on the roll and compare it to the test’s DN, or Difficulty Number, to determine if you passed or failed the test.
Spoiler:

In this image, you can see that I rolled four failures, three icons, and one exalted icon. That’s a total of 5 icons (2 for the exalted icon from the dice result of 6, plus one each for the dice that made a result of 4 or 5). A standard test in Wrath & Glory has a DN of 3, so this roll would be a success for most rolls.

Remember that a result of a 6 is special – this is called an exalted icon, and counts for two regular icons. In Wrath & Glory, you can also “shift” your exalted icons (the dice that roll a 6) from the initial test to enhance the effect. You can gain more information, improve the quality of your success, or even speed up the time required to achieve the goal for which you rolled the test in the first place. Shifting dice from an attack roll grants you more dice for damage.

The Wrath Dice

For all of these images, you’ll note that one of the dice is a different colour. In Wrath & Glory, all tests include one dice that is somewhat special: this is called the Wrath dice. The Wrath dice is rolled just like a regular d6 in your dice pool, but the Wrath dice has special effects that occur if it rolls a result of a 1 or a 6. For these rolls, I used a red-coloured d6 to represent the Wrath Dice.
Spoiler:

In this image, the Wrath dice has rolled a 1. This is known as a “complication,” and it means that something has happened during the test (regardless of whether the test succeeds or fails!) that creates a negative situation in the player character’s current scene. If this was a Persuasion test to impress an Imperial Governor, for example, the complication might mean that while your character made a good impression overall, the Governor’s most trusted aide harbours a grudge against outsiders. Complications are not meant to be punitive, but rather to create an interesting plot point.
Spoiler:

In this next image, the Wrath dice has rolled a 6. Like other results of 6, this counts as an exalted icon and provides two icons towards the success of the test. Also like other results of 6, this exalted icon may be shifted to enhance the effects of the test. However, a Wrath dice result of 6 (again, independent of the test’s success or failure) is also a moment where the player characters shine, either in victory or defeat, and the group gains a point of a resource called Glory – which is something we will discuss at another time.

Now you’ve gotten a glimpse at the basics of the Wrath & Glory dice system. Keep an eye on the Ulisses North America website for more details about the game, and sign up for our newsletter to get this information early.

-Ross Watson, Product Line Manager


The simplified target numbers mechanic is reminisent of the "heroic" D6 games that WEG produced (Hercules, DC).

Both of those systems can easily be played with standard D6 but also lend to using custom dice with (3 Failures, 2 Success, 1 Exalted Success), so I'm expecting Wrath & Glory dice to follow.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/11/22 16:17:20


   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Yeah, calling successes and critical successes "icons" and "exalted icons" smacks of there being custom d6s coming.

I'll be honest, unless they come up with something that really, really wows me somehow, I'll probably just stick with the 40K setting pack I'll have written up for my group in FFG's Genesys system by then. If the game stays as some hodge-podge of WEG d6 and Shadowrun d6 with some sort of Fate Point...I mean, Glory addon on...well, they'll need something else. Still, plenty of time for them to come up with something unique, and I *do* like dice pool mechanics. We'll see.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Updated d6 Legends system, TAKE MY MONEY!!!
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block





I wonder how big the pools are going to get.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

Chairman Aeon wrote:Updated d6 Legends system, TAKE MY MONEY!!!


Pretty much what I was thinking.

Red_Five wrote:I wonder how big the pools are going to get.


No real way to know, but they did say that 3 succeses were an average difficulty, so you would want 5-6 dice for that.

A lot of WEG D6 Games had Characters Attribute range of about 2-5D, plus a cap of 2 additional dice for starting skills, with a 5D pool of dice considered what a proffesional would have in their skill pool.

Just snowballing here, but average human attribute for a player character was 3D, add 2D for training, and you get your 5D.

Using Star Wars D6 I could make a starting character like:

Catachan Astra Militarum Guardsman
DEX 3D FireArms 5D Grenades 4D Stealth 4D
KNO 3D Survival 5D
MEC 2D
PER 4D
STR 4D Brawling 5D
TEC 2D
Equipment: Lasgun, 2 Spare Ammo Packs, Standard Issue Survival Pack, Light Stick, The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer



   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

From Beasts of War, the covers of the new RPG and Starter for WFRP





Skaven and floppy hats with feathers in, I approve

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/11/30 20:54:03


 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Ignoring Nikaea since 001.M31






Svalarheima, MA

VERY much a call back for WHFRP 1.0 - I love it!

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

Hnng. I hope that at least if they just end up retreading the old material in terms of the writing, we get loads of new artwork. Plenty of old art as well mind, but since this is likely to be the only source of WHF material for the next decade at least and perhaps forever I hope it's packed full of new stuff as well.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Ignoring Nikaea since 001.M31






Svalarheima, MA

I thought those 2 covers were new artwork?

I mean, I don't recognize them...

Are they not new?

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






Should WHFRP redux get its own thread?


LATEST UPDATE: WINGED HUSSAR LT DONE; INQ 54mm PREVIEW
 
   
Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Alpharius wrote:
I thought those 2 covers were new artwork?

I mean, I don't recognize them...

Are they not new?




I think so. That was a good "hnng" not a bad "hnng", I could have been clearer, I was expressing a hope that they'd continue in that vein rather than just reusing older material to bulk out the interior of the books.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Novice Knight Errant Pilot




 Alpharius wrote:
VERY much a call back for WHFRP 1.0 - I love it!


It definitely is a call back.
Don't care much for the change in artstyle though. Not nearly as grim. Though a LOT of that is the weirdly proportioned rat ogre vs the classic ogre.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Isn't that the Red Moon Inn from Vermintide?
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

 warboss wrote:
Should WHFRP redux get its own thread?


Yes.


   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut






 OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
From Beasts of War, the covers of the new RPG and Starter for WFRP





Skaven and floppy hats with feathers in, I approve



When is this starter set and main rule book coming out, along with the Wrath and Glory RPG? I heard something about December but I may got that confused with the announcement.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/01 05:22:48


 
   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader




Mid 2018 apparently, there was a slight delay in rules design according to Age of Sigmar.
   
Made in nl
[DCM]
Indomitable hell rider of glorious renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

A new newsletter has been put out about tiers:

Wrath & Glory Designer Diary: Tiers
Today’s designer diary is all about power. Warhammer 40,000 possesses a depth of scope and scale that, in and of itself, is one of the defining characteristics of its setting. The grim darkness of the far future is home to creatures ranging from Gretchin to towering Hive Tyrants, from a Tech-Priest up to a Squiggoth and even that is just the tip of the iceberg. What I’m trying to get across here is that there are a lot of power levels to keep in mind when you’re designing an RPG for Warhammer 40,000.

Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory keeps its focus on individual heroes—the player characters. While this helps narrow the scope a bit, there is still a staggering amount of variety and options to choose from. Some very popular character types include the superhuman Space Marines and the all-too-human soldiers of the Imperial Guard. One of the most common questions I have been asked about the design of Wrath & Glory is, “How do you balance things so I can have different types of characters in the same group?”

The answer is simple; we have designated certain “Tiers” of play, ranging from 1-5 (with options to expand that range). Each tier represents a particular power level, and considers various factors: what kinds of character archetypes are appropriate, what kinds of challenges those characters will face, and what kinds of limits are imposed on dice pools. In Wrath & Glory, the players and the Game Master decide what kind of Tier they wish to play for their campaign.

Tier 1, for example, represents a power level appropriate for characters who are not epic heroes—these are the Imperial Guardsmen, the Inquisitional Acolytes, the Hive gangers, the Eldar Corsairs or the Ork boyz. Tier 1 characters are expected to deal with appropriate challenges. This means that the dice pools and the kinds of enemies they are likely to face are also calibrated according to the Tier. A Tier 1 enemy might be a group of cultists led by a crazed mutant, or a single genestealer might be the “main villain” at the climax of a session.

Once more, to clarify: Tiers indicate a particular power level in terms of the game experience. Tiers limit archetypes, dice pool limits, and enemies to what is appropriate for that power level.

A Tier 3 game, by contrast, is calibrated for a much more powerful and capable group of heroes. Power Levels are not necessarily graded on simple combat ability, either. Psychic powers, authority, access to particular wargear, and other factors are involved in what determines an archetype’s starting Tier. A Tactical Space Marine is a Tier 3 archetype, as is an Eldar Warlock, as is an Imperial Commissar. At Tier 3, a genestealer might be just one of several nameless enemies they encounter during a mission, whilst something like a genestealer cult patriarch would be likely a named, climactic adversary.

Higher tiers also involve larger dice pools, increasing both the reality and the instinctual ‘feel’ of a greater level of power and impact on the game. The experience of a Tier 3 game is substantially different than that of a Tier 1 game, and that is reflected in the game rules.

While all of this information on tiers is important, it is just one piece of the puzzle. There is another, partnered mechanic that I will get into next time that delves into how a lower-Tier character archetype can take part in a higher-Tier game and engage with the rules on the same playing field as a Space Marine or an Eldar Warlock. Put simply, part of our design allows for this, and taking a Tier 1 Inquisitional Acolyte and ascending them to a Tier 3 game is very possible—and means that the character has a reason to be there.

-Ross Watson, Product Line Manager


Accompanying the newsletter is one of my favourite pieces of 40k art, ever:



IMPERIAL KNIGHT PLAYER CHARACTER OPTION CONFIRMED.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in es
Ancient Venerable Dark Angels Dreadnought




Vigo. Spain.

I assume a Imperial Knight is a Tier 5 character... that will be like Roleplaying Pacific Rim I assume

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






Lol, I wonder if they're joking about that. I'd give it 50/50 odds. If I start something up with that then it'll definitely be at tier 3.


LATEST UPDATE: WINGED HUSSAR LT DONE; INQ 54mm PREVIEW
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Custodes Shield Captain of the Ephoroi





Where ever the Emperor needs his eyes

 BrookM wrote:
Spoiler:
A new newsletter has been put out about tiers:

Wrath & Glory Designer Diary: Tiers
Today’s designer diary is all about power. Warhammer 40,000 possesses a depth of scope and scale that, in and of itself, is one of the defining characteristics of its setting. The grim darkness of the far future is home to creatures ranging from Gretchin to towering Hive Tyrants, from a Tech-Priest up to a Squiggoth and even that is just the tip of the iceberg. What I’m trying to get across here is that there are a lot of power levels to keep in mind when you’re designing an RPG for Warhammer 40,000.

Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory keeps its focus on individual heroes—the player characters. While this helps narrow the scope a bit, there is still a staggering amount of variety and options to choose from. Some very popular character types include the superhuman Space Marines and the all-too-human soldiers of the Imperial Guard. One of the most common questions I have been asked about the design of Wrath & Glory is, “How do you balance things so I can have different types of characters in the same group?”

The answer is simple; we have designated certain “Tiers” of play, ranging from 1-5 (with options to expand that range). Each tier represents a particular power level, and considers various factors: what kinds of character archetypes are appropriate, what kinds of challenges those characters will face, and what kinds of limits are imposed on dice pools. In Wrath & Glory, the players and the Game Master decide what kind of Tier they wish to play for their campaign.

Tier 1, for example, represents a power level appropriate for characters who are not epic heroes—these are the Imperial Guardsmen, the Inquisitional Acolytes, the Hive gangers, the Eldar Corsairs or the Ork boyz. Tier 1 characters are expected to deal with appropriate challenges. This means that the dice pools and the kinds of enemies they are likely to face are also calibrated according to the Tier. A Tier 1 enemy might be a group of cultists led by a crazed mutant, or a single genestealer might be the “main villain” at the climax of a session.

Once more, to clarify: Tiers indicate a particular power level in terms of the game experience. Tiers limit archetypes, dice pool limits, and enemies to what is appropriate for that power level.

A Tier 3 game, by contrast, is calibrated for a much more powerful and capable group of heroes. Power Levels are not necessarily graded on simple combat ability, either. Psychic powers, authority, access to particular wargear, and other factors are involved in what determines an archetype’s starting Tier. A Tactical Space Marine is a Tier 3 archetype, as is an Eldar Warlock, as is an Imperial Commissar. At Tier 3, a genestealer might be just one of several nameless enemies they encounter during a mission, whilst something like a genestealer cult patriarch would be likely a named, climactic adversary.

Higher tiers also involve larger dice pools, increasing both the reality and the instinctual ‘feel’ of a greater level of power and impact on the game. The experience of a Tier 3 game is substantially different than that of a Tier 1 game, and that is reflected in the game rules.

While all of this information on tiers is important, it is just one piece of the puzzle. There is another, partnered mechanic that I will get into next time that delves into how a lower-Tier character archetype can take part in a higher-Tier game and engage with the rules on the same playing field as a Space Marine or an Eldar Warlock. Put simply, part of our design allows for this, and taking a Tier 1 Inquisitional Acolyte and ascending them to a Tier 3 game is very possible—and means that the character has a reason to be there.

-Ross Watson, Product Line Manager


Accompanying the newsletter is one of my favourite pieces of 40k art, ever:



IMPERIAL KNIGHT PLAYER CHARACTER OPTION CONFIRMED.


My body is ready.


(Hopefully also Custodes)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/08 21:19:57


 
   
Made in us
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon




Lisbon, Portugal

Commissars are tier 3?!? There goes my favourite archetype in all 40k... I bet most groups will play on tiers 1 and 2 :/

40k Dark Angels and future 30k Thousand Sons

Ex-Gue'vesa of the Greater Good. Join us if you want to live!  
   
Made in es
Ancient Venerable Dark Angels Dreadnought




Vigo. Spain.

 Vector Strike wrote:
Commissars are tier 3?!? There goes my favourite archetype in all 40k... I bet most groups will play on tiers 1 and 2 :/


As they said, Tiers aren't divided only un "Battle power", but in influence, political power, etc... and a Commisar even if from a combat perspective is just a normal human, has a ton of political power and influence.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Firstly, I doubt it; Deathwatch shifted a few copies, didn't it? Secondly, you can start at lower tiers and progress to higher ones. Start as a Stgormtrooper and join the Commisariat.
   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






 Vector Strike wrote:
Commissars are tier 3?!? There goes my favourite archetype in all 40k... I bet most groups will play on tiers 1 and 2 :/


Yeah, those space marines are probably just a temporary fad without any real staying power in the 40k universe.


LATEST UPDATE: WINGED HUSSAR LT DONE; INQ 54mm PREVIEW
 
   
Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Vampire Thrall





UK

 Galas wrote:
I assume a Imperial Knight is a Tier 5 character... that will be like Roleplaying Pacific Rim I assume


More like Mechwarrior if we are lucky - hopefully they will expand the info on households - that would be really interesting in my view - the first codex had some good but it got chopped in the second.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




If I had to guess tier 2-3 will be where most groups want to play. Gives you access to powerful options without the absurdity I imagine tier 4-5 will have, and if it's anything liken previous rpgs tier 1 will be fairly brutal.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: