Switch Theme:

Forgeworld 2019 News & Rumors :p.145 Knight Moirax, p.146 DA.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

Paint job is pretty rough when viewed in 360 degree view.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

the FW paint jobs are rough, period. I get that they're not trying to enter GD but at least learn to blend a layer. Just compare those FW images to the new primaris reiver librarian paint job. There's no comparison.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/08 11:04:45


Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard



UK

 zedmeister wrote:
 Ratius wrote:
Those Deathsworn, awesome sauce.


Aye, much better than the god awful Varagyr and the invert bolter Grey Slayers! Even the paint job is alright.


Yeah but still worse than it should be given the guys supposedly a professional painter.

Shame most of us have already converted several squads already.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




I could definitely see myself using some of those bitz. The heads are kinda fancy and specific for my liking, but it could make for a good Chaplain equivalent stand-in.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in se
Glorious Lord of Chaos






Almost literally in the Phantom Zone.

That Space Wolf character is so hideous. Goodness gracious. How did this get past QA?

Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-!@# comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That is why we need feminism, and why I am not simply egalitarian. 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

Back in the day FW releases where a "WOAH!" when normal GW was much lower but I'm sorry, at this point I think is clear GW has surpased FW in every aspect. I don't even know how they justify their premium price any more.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in gb
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain





Norwich

 Galas wrote:
Back in the day FW releases where a "WOAH!" when normal GW was much lower but I'm sorry, at this point I think is clear GW has surpased FW in every aspect. I don't even know how they justify their premium price any more.


as much as i dont want to agree i must agree, GW has surpassed forge world at the moment, give it a couple of years though and I think it may balance out.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Galas wrote:
Back in the day FW releases where a "WOAH!" when normal GW was much lower but I'm sorry, at this point I think is clear GW has surpased FW in every aspect. I don't even know how they justify their premium price any more.


Plastic technology has finally caught up with metal and resin quality, which is why GW's models look so good.

Forge World does not sell enough kits to justify going plastic (plastic molds costs 100k to create, which means you need to sell a huge volume to make a profit). Resin and Metal molds cost a lot less to make but require new molds to be created after a couple dozen or so uses.

Forge World is a premium product for a niche market. Could they sell more models if they charged less for them? Yes. But best business practicies will usually encourage those who create premium products for niche markets to sell high. After all, it is better to sell a product to one person for 2 dollars than it is to sell two products to two people for one dollar a piece (at least in a niche market).

Even if you compare FW products to similarly sized metal and resin models from other companies, FW is not THAT much more expensive. The real killer (and this is true of all Games Workshop games) is that they charge a pretty penny for models and then require you to buy tons and tons of models, so it is a double whammy - high costs for a high model count game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/08 17:44:53


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Shocking, shocking paint jobs. Real shame, as those minis are ace.

I do love how GW expects me to pay over AUD$100 for that Terminator. Jesus...

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Ratius wrote:
Those Deathsworn, awesome sauce.


Er, I think they had a good concept but those look terrible.

Spacewolf Squats doing the pee pee dance.
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

I don't think gw plastic are at the standard of the detail of forgeworld resin yet. There's no way they could render sanguinius, or any of the primarchs really in plastic to such a high level. But plastic has definitely come along. The poses they can create are so much more realistic.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stonecold Gimster






 BrookM wrote:


Spoiler:



Spoiler:


Wow. If Mantic had released this, they'd have been slated (by half the people saying these are ok).

GW's sculpts and paint jobs have been out of the park recently - even if they're not the style I like, but these FW offerings seem like GW are trying to get FW shut down.

My Painting Blog: http://gimgamgoo.com/
Currently most played: Silent Death, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Dracula's America, Bolt Action, X-Wing 
   
Made in gb
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader






 Galas wrote:
Back in the day FW releases where a "WOAH!" when normal GW was much lower but I'm sorry, at this point I think is clear GW has surpased FW in every aspect. I don't even know how they justify their premium price any more.


Honestly, until a couple of years ago I was badly tempted by Horus Heresy. I’d look at Forgeworld releases thinking their minis are better than GW’s, their art is better, their books are more of a joy to read. Since 8th Edition my opinion has totally reversed. GW have upped their game on all fronts, whereas FW just aren’t that good anymore.

I’m starting to think Horus Heresy needs a complete reboot, at least for me to be interested in it again. In the meantime, the only thing I got excited about from the Weekender was the Necromunda news.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Gimgamgoo wrote:
 BrookM wrote:


Spoiler:



Spoiler:


Wow. If Mantic had released this, they'd have been slated (by half the people saying these are ok).

GW's sculpts and paint jobs have been out of the park recently - even if they're not the style I like, but these FW offerings seem like GW are trying to get FW shut down.

To be fair, I quite like the Deathsworn but I’d never buy them because Heresy is stuck with the old stumpy marines. Once I’d seen Primaris, I just can’t look past how horribly proportioned old marines are.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/09 12:12:44


 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

Yeah if the Heresy marines were primaris proportions they'd be much cooler. Fortunately I only paint the Heresy characters, and they're still a much higher standard than GW characters.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





queen_annes_revenge wrote:I don't think gw plastic are at the standard of the detail of forgeworld resin yet. There's no way they could render sanguinius, or any of the primarchs really in plastic to such a high level. But plastic has definitely come along. The poses they can create are so much more realistic.

No way? New plastic Lord of Change pretty much matches or exceeds primarchs in all possible detail, on top of being much better proportioned (just compare his wings to Sanguinius, much thinner and actually wing-like). And that is what, 5 year old design now? Even plastic marines are way more detailed now, say actual vents on their backpacks vs square peg-like protrusions without details on most resin marines (this is really irritating as some of the more recent HH character minis don't even have detail plastic troops had a decade ago or more...).

Gimgamgoo wrote:Wow. If Mantic had released this, they'd have been slated (by half the people saying these are ok).

Would they? I have seen a lot of people here praise certain three bit "designers" to seriously doubt that. If third party stuff that garbage, ugly, and ill-fitting on 40K models finds purchasers and promoters (despite ruining look of anything it's glued to) then FW would need a lot harder than even upside-down bolters to actually change anything...

And to be perfectly fair, Deathsworn helmets are the best SW helmets anyone had ever done. Nothing GW made really compares, except maybe for that one old upgrade bit. Finally a helmet that looks like someone artistically skilled made metal overlay on top to skillfully mimic wolf skull, instead of just gluing random bones on top and calling it a day.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah, the capes on the resin shield captain and valdor are big thick chunks of material, whilst if you check out a plastic shield captain or valoris, they’re wearing something that looks like an actual cape.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
 Galas wrote:
Back in the day FW releases where a "WOAH!" when normal GW was much lower but I'm sorry, at this point I think is clear GW has surpased FW in every aspect. I don't even know how they justify their premium price any more.


Honestly, until a couple of years ago I was badly tempted by Horus Heresy. I’d look at Forgeworld releases thinking their minis are better than GW’s, their art is better, their books are more of a joy to read. Since 8th Edition my opinion has totally reversed. GW have upped their game on all fronts, whereas FW just aren’t that good anymore.

I’m starting to think Horus Heresy needs a complete reboot, at least for me to be interested in it again. In the meantime, the only thing I got excited about from the Weekender was the Necromunda news.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Gimgamgoo wrote:
 BrookM wrote:


Spoiler:



Spoiler:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/10 11:53:43


Your last point is especially laughable and comical, because not only the 7th ed Valkyrie shown dumber things (like being able to throw the troopers without parachutes out of its hatches, no harm done) - Irbis 
   
Made in gb
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader






SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard



UK

 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Oh I'd say the wolves have got nothing but the short end of the stick.

Our preator is terrible, our terminators are garbage, our weapon upgrades have upside down bolters for fekkes sake.

Russ, wolfkin and the contemptor have been the only decent stuff we got up to this point.

Custodes and sons both got way more love.
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

hobojebus wrote:
 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Oh I'd say the wolves have got nothing but the short end of the stick.

Our preator is terrible, our terminators are garbage, our weapon upgrades have upside down bolters for fekkes sake.

Russ, wolfkin and the contemptor have been the only decent stuff we got up to this point.

Custodes and sons both got way more love.


Wolves are mangey critters any year they exist, even when there is only war....and bad paint jobs.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in ch
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne






I don't think this is a recent development; HH stuff has been hit and miss for a time now.

Most generic units are very well done; but a good part of the chapter specific ones are subpar. It started with WE Rampagers years ago. My personal low point was the Ultramarine line. A lot of potential for romanesque designs but FW didn't deliver.

That said, I like the Deadsworn but the Terminator is quite terrible.

   
Made in se
Executing Exarch






 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


I think when people say “FW” they mean the Forge World resin releases, not the Specialist Games plastic stuff which is consistently excellent.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Primaris marines don't USE MKIII armour so makes no sense for them to have it. Why would forge worlds produce upscaled MKIII armour? As it is new suits of MKIII armours aren't built in 40k age anyway let alone upscaled one. And in 30k times primaris marines don't exist so no point in having upscaled armour marines couldn't use.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






IIRC there are still new suits of older marks being manufactured. Mostly mark 6 and mark 3 (due to its specialised design), and anything older than mark 6 is in comparatively small numbers, but they're there.

Not in Primaris size, though. That's what Mk 10 Gravis armour is.
   
Made in gb
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

tneva82 wrote:
 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Primaris marines don't USE MKIII armour so makes no sense for them to have it. Why would forge worlds produce upscaled MKIII armour? As it is new suits of MKIII armours aren't built in 40k age anyway let alone upscaled one. And in 30k times primaris marines don't exist so no point in having upscaled armour marines couldn't use.

Chapters have large stocks of power armour, and such old Marks are honoured relics. As more and more Marines are replaced by Primaris brethren over time due to casualties, at some point they will end up with a huge surplus of older power armour. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a large number of Chapters trying to modify old power armour to fit larger Marines, especially those Chapters with poor resupply or poor connections with Mars.

Remember that many Chapters produce the bulk of their own power armour. The Red Scorpions, for example, use lots of domestically produced MkIV suits, because their Chapter forge has the means to produce it.

In light of this obvious fluff justification, and because many of the early Marks are popular designs, I can see there being a release of Primaris-modified versions of older Mks. Most likely in a kit like the current Tactical squad, with a variety of older Mks mixed into one squad. Could even be part of a Intercessor Veterans unit- the Veterans being granted honoured relics painstakingly remodelled to fit their forms, and meshed with the modern gear.

 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

 Haighus wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Primaris marines don't USE MKIII armour so makes no sense for them to have it. Why would forge worlds produce upscaled MKIII armour? As it is new suits of MKIII armours aren't built in 40k age anyway let alone upscaled one. And in 30k times primaris marines don't exist so no point in having upscaled armour marines couldn't use.

Chapters have large stocks of power armour, and such old Marks are honoured relics. As more and more Marines are replaced by Primaris brethren over time due to casualties, at some point they will end up with a huge surplus of older power armour. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a large number of Chapters trying to modify old power armour to fit larger Marines, especially those Chapters with poor resupply or poor connections with Mars.

Remember that many Chapters produce the bulk of their own power armour. The Red Scorpions, for example, use lots of domestically produced MkIV suits, because their Chapter forge has the means to produce it.

In light of this obvious fluff justification, and because many of the early Marks are popular designs, I can see there being a release of Primaris-modified versions of older Mks. Most likely in a kit like the current Tactical squad, with a variety of older Mks mixed into one squad. Could even be part of a Intercessor Veterans unit- the Veterans being granted honoured relics painstakingly remodelled to fit their forms, and meshed with the modern gear.


Now I have the image of Primaris marines in 1970s too short tennis shorts . The armor just wouldnt fit the framework of the Primaris marines. Why would they want to wear the old tech anyway with Cawl making things better with the new armor? Nostalgia? Basically I think they will just put the armor in the hall of antiques and hoarde them like my grandparents hoarded old National Geographic’s magazines and Tupperware. Sure the Tupperware was the pinnacle of food storage at the time, but nicer looking more effective and non toxic versions are better now.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

 Theophony wrote:
 Haighus wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
 MonkeyBallistic wrote:
SeanDrake wrote:


Honestly the only consistently poor FW stuff is the paint jobs and the space wolf range.


I really wouldn’t go so far as the say FW is “poor”. It’s more that they’re not really any better than GW but charge higher prices. I do really like their Necromunda releases.

On the other hand, if FW ever decided to produce MkIII armour in Primaris scale, I’d be all over it.


Primaris marines don't USE MKIII armour so makes no sense for them to have it. Why would forge worlds produce upscaled MKIII armour? As it is new suits of MKIII armours aren't built in 40k age anyway let alone upscaled one. And in 30k times primaris marines don't exist so no point in having upscaled armour marines couldn't use.

Chapters have large stocks of power armour, and such old Marks are honoured relics. As more and more Marines are replaced by Primaris brethren over time due to casualties, at some point they will end up with a huge surplus of older power armour. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a large number of Chapters trying to modify old power armour to fit larger Marines, especially those Chapters with poor resupply or poor connections with Mars.

Remember that many Chapters produce the bulk of their own power armour. The Red Scorpions, for example, use lots of domestically produced MkIV suits, because their Chapter forge has the means to produce it.

In light of this obvious fluff justification, and because many of the early Marks are popular designs, I can see there being a release of Primaris-modified versions of older Mks. Most likely in a kit like the current Tactical squad, with a variety of older Mks mixed into one squad. Could even be part of a Intercessor Veterans unit- the Veterans being granted honoured relics painstakingly remodelled to fit their forms, and meshed with the modern gear.


Now I have the image of Primaris marines in 1970s too short tennis shorts . The armor just wouldnt fit the framework of the Primaris marines. Why would they want to wear the old tech anyway with Cawl making things better with the new armor? Nostalgia? Basically I think they will just put the armor in the hall of antiques and hoarde them like my grandparents hoarded old National Geographic’s magazines and Tupperware. Sure the Tupperware was the pinnacle of food storage at the time, but nicer looking more effective and non toxic versions are better now.

Limited resources (although nostalgia/tradition/honour is likkely to feature a bit). Not all Chapters are as well connected as the First Foundings, many are downright scavengers due to supply issues. Once Chapters gain indigenous Primaris production, they will need to be able to equip them, and this may require heavy modification of existing power armour. Of course it won't fit by default, but Techmarines have already modified armour to fit unusually tall Marines.

We know Techmarines are very resourceful with reusing existing components and splicing multiple Mks together.

 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





New FAQ for HH up. Magnus took quite a nerfbat. Not sure what other big differences are.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





UK

tneva82 wrote:
New FAQ for HH up. Magnus took quite a nerfbat. Not sure what other big differences are.


Can't find the PDF link despite the new story - do you have a link to it?
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 zedmeister wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
New FAQ for HH up. Magnus took quite a nerfbat. Not sure what other big differences are.


Can't find the PDF link despite the new story - do you have a link to it?


Change the sort order. That worked for me(seems to be common issue with GW FAQ's) but in any case:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Horus-Heresy-General-Errata-and-FAQ-v1.1.pdf

Noticed playtest rules which include quad gun phosphex going from heavy 4 blasts to heavy 1 5" blast. Approve!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/11 13:34:34


https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: