Switch Theme:

Coronavirus  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Leader of the Sept






I fail to see how a lockdown is going to cost lives. Cabin Fever doesnt kill, Corona does
Now if you mean that people lost their jobs and their medical insurance and way to eat, that sounds like a problem the government should be fixing and we should as well.
But hey, as long as people die in order to get their precious haircuts and golf, i guess it is fine.


5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

I fail to see how a lockdown is going to cost lives.


Really?

Without thinking...

- fatalities as domestic abuse worsens due to prolonged close proximity
- suicide because mental health issues escalate
- people don't seek urgent medical treatment due to poor understanding of limits

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/22 22:40:44


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




North Carolina

 creeping-deth87 wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Anyone checked the numbers? Denmark, Austria, Holland, France, and Switzerland have all started easing lockdown around 2 weeks ago or before. Any sign of spikes?


Here in Ontario, a lot of things opened up on the 19th. We just hit our 4th day in a row of increased cases. I can only imagine how bad the numbers will be in 2 weeks. We were on a serious downward trend too.


Did your number of tests increase? Our raw numbers have gone up but our rate of positive tests has gone down.

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

 Overread wrote:

Measuring isn't always easy. Whilst we might all know what 2m is on a tape measure, it doesn't mean we are all familiar with it as a distance in realty. That's why the government advice keeps saying things like "1bed, 2 fridges, a trolley etc..." ergo things people can relate to in their environments and life as a reference point. As gamers (esp if you ever played Warmachine MK1 or 2) you really saw this in how some people with practice could measure distances really well by eye; others couldn't until the tape measure was on the board. Reality is just the same, only most people aren't landscapers or buildres measuring stuff all the time.

'3 paces' is the commonly used guideline over here. Telling people to estimate multiple fridges just seems needlessly awkward.

 
   
Made in ca
Infiltrating Broodlord





Toronto, Ontario

Prestor Jon wrote:
 creeping-deth87 wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Anyone checked the numbers? Denmark, Austria, Holland, France, and Switzerland have all started easing lockdown around 2 weeks ago or before. Any sign of spikes?


Here in Ontario, a lot of things opened up on the 19th. We just hit our 4th day in a row of increased cases. I can only imagine how bad the numbers will be in 2 weeks. We were on a serious downward trend too.


Did your number of tests increase? Our raw numbers have gone up but our rate of positive tests has gone down.


The opposite, actually. They've gone down. Ontario now has a huge backlog even amidst the rising numbers of infections.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/22 23:52:30


 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






It seems someone has found an excellent analogy for reopening:

Spoiler:

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Assassin with Black Lotus Poison





Bristol

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...


That is offset by the fact that the number of velociraptors doesn't scale with the population.

The Laws of Thermodynamics:
1) You cannot win. 2) You cannot break even. 3) You cannot stop playing the game.

Colonel Flagg wrote:You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me.
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...


if anything the survival rate would 100% over here because let's just say that locals tend to react with guns against predators of all kinds touching livestock over here.
Even if the species is endangered.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

Not Online!!! wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...


if anything the survival rate would 100% over here because let's just say that locals tend to react with guns against predators of all kinds touching livestock over here.
Even if the species is endangered.


Can regular citizens carry over there?

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...


if anything the survival rate would 100% over here because let's just say that locals tend to react with guns against predators of all kinds touching livestock over here.
Even if the species is endangered.


Can regular citizens carry over there?


theorethically and practically yes , allbeit it is difficult to get a license to carry one just willy nilly when there is an Obligatorisches or any other shooting festival (which there are a lot ), then nobody tends to ask questions, but like with all things switzerland, does the "regular" citizen care enough to give a crap about the opinion of the federal government?
Not everywhere, considering how fast wolves and bears end up as pelts when they dare touch livestock, especially in rural cantons.


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

 A Town Called Malus wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yup, except your survival rate with a Velociraptor contact is probably significantly lower than 99%...


That is offset by the fact that the number of velociraptors doesn't scale with the population.

Yeah, a direct comparison would require a new velociraptor to possibly spawn and attack anyone who comes to close to anyone else currently being attacked, or anyone being stalked by a velociraptor but so far unaware of its presence...

 
   
Made in au
[DCM]
.. .-.. .-.. ..- -- .. -. .- - ..






Toowoomba, Australia

 hotsauceman1 wrote:
I fail to see how a lockdown is going to cost lives. Cabin Fever doesnt kill, Corona does
Now if you mean that people lost their jobs and their medical insurance and way to eat, that sounds like a problem the government should be fixing and we should as well.
But hey, as long as people die in order to get their precious haircuts and golf, i guess it is fine.



It kills the elderly or those with severe medical illnesses almost universally. Just like influenza for those who do not get the influenza vaccine.
The average age of death from coronavirus in Australia is 80 years old... I had read similar in the US but cannot find the article, sure young people will die, and healthy ones. Big news in my local town last year when a healthy 36 year old woman died of influenza.

The ridiculous hype generated by the media was disgusting. Did anyone in the US die from the lack of a ventilator? Last month a shortage was a huge portion of the panic, yet now The mainstream media says/writes nothing because the need never arose.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 11:56:11


2020: Games Played:12/Models Bought:131/Sold:53/Painted:50
2019: Games Played:81/Models Bought:175/Sold:271/Painted:92
2018: Games Played: 108/Models Bought: 183/Sold: 1/Painted: 100
2016/17: Games Played:180/Models Bought:414/Sold:106/ Painted:76
2012-15: Games Played:412/Models Bought: 1163/Sold:730/Painted:436 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 Waaagh_Gonads wrote:

The ridiculous hype generated by the media was disgusting. Did anyone in the US die from the lack of a ventilator? Last month a shortage was a huge portion of the panic, yet now The mainstream media says/writes nothing because the need never arose.

The answer is: we won't know. Not because "tHe MaInStReAm MeDiA!1!!" won't report on it, but because some localities that are being hit hard(Florida, the Midwest, other Republican governed states) have been found to be fudging the numbers. Couple that with either undertesting, not testing at all, or an inability to test?

It presents an issue to say definitively what was or wasn't an issue. And it wasn't just the shortage that was the panic--it was the fact that the federal stockpile supply of ventilators and PPE were being sent to countries and Republican-centric states friendly to the current administration while other states(NY and CA being notable examples) were being told that they had to "buy them for themselves".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 12:47:05


 
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

Ah yes, the old mixed case mock. the universal sign of the straw man.

its perfectly valid to point out the media conveniently not correcting things that differ from previous things they said. if anything, its important we call it out to keep the news media at least somewhat honest.

I'd prefer the media be willing to say, look this is what we thought, but it turns out this is actually the case now we're further down the road, than to just not mention it and hope no one notices.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 12:58:42


Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Veteran Marine with Tentacles






 Waaagh_Gonads wrote:
 hotsauceman1 wrote:
I fail to see how a lockdown is going to cost lives. Cabin Fever doesnt kill, Corona does
Now if you mean that people lost their jobs and their medical insurance and way to eat, that sounds like a problem the government should be fixing and we should as well.
But hey, as long as people die in order to get their precious haircuts and golf, i guess it is fine.



It kills the elderly or those with severe medical illnesses almost universally. Just like influenza for those who do not get the influenza vaccine.
The average age of death from coronavirus in Australia is 80 years old... I had read similar in the US but cannot find the article, sure young people will die, and healthy ones. Big news in my local town last year when a healthy 36 year old woman died of influenza.

The ridiculous hype generated by the media was disgusting. Did anyone in the US die from the lack of a ventilator? Last month a shortage was a huge portion of the panic, yet now The mainstream media says/writes nothing because the need never arose.

The treatment also changed substantially. Ventilators are a last ditch effort and substantial evidence is coming out that it can make things worse in a lot of ways from excessively high pressure etc. A Zinc Ionophore + Zinc can help prevent the more severe symptoms from developing if given early enough while plasma therapy is pretty effective for treating some of the more advanced cases. More recovered people means more potential sources for the antibodies needed in plasma therapy so it has a snowball effect in a positive way.
   
Made in jp
[MOD]
Anti-piracy Officer






Somewhere in southern England.

London hospitals never got overwhelmed because of several reasons.

For one thing, they set up lots of extra ICU wards in operating theatres and so on.

Another rather creepy factor is the number of people who died in care homes without ever seeing a hospital. It's something ike 5,000.

If a lot of them had been admitted, the NHS might have found something useful to do with the Nightingale Hospital at the Excel.

I'm writing a load of fiction. My latest story starts here... This is the index of all the stories...

We're not very big on official rules. Rules lead to people looking for loopholes. What's here is about it. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






The ridiculous hype generated by the media was disgusting. Did anyone in the US die from the lack of a ventilator? Last month a shortage was a huge portion of the panic, yet now The mainstream media says/writes nothing because the need never arose.


More proof lockdown worked.
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

Not a mad fan of the deification of the nhs, but great to see communities giving support. Here in Northern Ireland our tradition mural painters have turned their hands to add to that support. Some photos here might be of interest to everyone in the rest of UK.
[Thumb - 3ACC81D5-EA03-4BB8-9241-4C3C22DDAD91.jpeg]

[Thumb - B104910B-4F6A-49F6-918D-405A34A66E38.jpeg]

[Thumb - CF90A75B-64AB-4B94-9734-622648CA5350.jpeg]

[Thumb - 6966A19D-CEE8-4410-86DA-F7B9CD60FDF4.jpeg]

[Thumb - D3240026-F878-4324-9A4A-E8A6499EB665.jpeg]


EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in gb
Master Engineer with a Brace of Pistols






I do like those murals.
   
Made in gb
Castellan of Dol Guldur





Bodt

 skyth wrote:

The ridiculous hype generated by the media was disgusting. Did anyone in the US die from the lack of a ventilator? Last month a shortage was a huge portion of the panic, yet now The mainstream media says/writes nothing because the need never arose.


More proof lockdown worked.


Circumstantial proof

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






They know Captain Moore was in WWII and not on the Western Front during WWI, right..?
   
Made in us
[MOD]
The Last Chancer Who Survived




On moon miranda.

Those murals are cool, an interesting way to draw attention to positive causes.

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Heavy Gear Painting Log, Northern Guard, Southern Republican Army, and Terrain
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

 Lord Damocles wrote:
They know Captain Moore was in WWII and not on the Western Front during WWI, right..?


I think the silhouette of a soldier is used as it’s a fairly common symbol of soldiery in battle used in murals. After all they used the statue of the US troops raising the flag at Iwo Jima in another mural to symbolise the ‘battle’. No ones suggesting the drs are US marines

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 15:49:12


EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in gb
Master Engineer with a Brace of Pistols






 Lord Damocles wrote:
They know Captain Moore was in WWII and not on the Western Front during WWI, right..?


It was originally a WW1 memorial (probably for the Somme) and they painted him over it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 15:46:50


 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

 Overread wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Possibly, many seem to think that outdoor activity doesn't seem to be the main driver of it though


It depends on the nature of that outdoor activity.

Walking in the woods 2m apart fine. Basking on a crowded beach where you're lazing around shoulder to shoulder; then lining up at a busy kiosk for icecreams and then all busying in and out of the same carpark at the same time and touching the same surfaces in quick succession etc.. - totally different story and potential for exchange. Being outside in itself is not a protection, its just less likely than in an enclosed space. Furthermore crowds and dense populations of people are still a huge risk no matter if you are inside or out.


Some of the articles I have read seem to indicate outdoor transmission is unlikely (parks, walking, things like that), as you say other than when you are coming into close contact. That being said, a study in NY thought that it can be transmitted by talking (not even coughing or sneezing) within a couple of feet. A study in China indicated that the virus can transmit through ventilation systems in buildings (there was an example of an individual catching it on another floor of a restaurant). Finally, an infected person in a church in Korea they believe passed the virus to around 500 people that were in the same building (!) So, it sounds like it is extremely virulent, and if these instances are true, you don't want to be in any kind of enclosed space with someone that has the virus.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





The ny study that "thought" it could be transmitted is dubious to extend to outdoor circumstances, where the dynamics of windflow are very different.

Inside cases like buses, churches, school rooms, parties, or such include a high likelyhood of either unstirred air layers that "hang out" next to the talker, or recirculated air that pumps the same virus back into the same room constantly. Neither applies to outdoor situations, where air is constantly (even if imperceptibly) stirred, and where dispersion rather than recirculation is the result.



I know I shouldn't post so often, but I really miss this game, or just going out, or fresh produce, or any of the comforts of life before we started living in the Corona-Grimdark. 
   
Made in ca
Stubborn Hammerer





 Kanluwen wrote:

It presents an issue to say definitively what was or wasn't an issue. And it wasn't just the shortage that was the panic--it was the fact that the federal stockpile supply of ventilators and PPE were being sent to countries and Republican-centric states friendly to the current administration while other states(NY and CA being notable examples) were being told that they had to "buy them for themselves".


What's notable about NY was the fact they never had a shortage: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/27/gov-andrew-cuomo-admits-stockpile-of-thousands-of-unused-ventilators/


They prepared for the worst, and the worst didn't happen. Which is great. https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851712311/u-s-field-hospitals-stand-down-most-without-treating-any-covid-19-patients
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

For the record, Breitbart is absolute partisan trash. Don't ever link that dumpsterfire in a reply to me again.
   
Made in us
Stubborn Hammerer





I'll take that into consideration.
   
 
Forum Index » Off-Topic Forum
Go to: