Switch Theme:

[Kickstarter]ADW Games Kickstarter Drama by Dina walker & Scott Lantry/ Lars  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Incorporating Wet-Blending





 Gymnogyps wrote:
Because, you see, it's "caveat emptor" and "kickstarter is not a store," so bait and switch scams are apparently a-ok


Well, it worked for HeroQuest! Man, what if ADW ran the HQ crowdfunding project and not Gamezone?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/10/22 03:23:21


Assume I wrote, "Yeah, good luck with that" at the end of my post.  
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Funny how the "guy from Disney" has the exact same sculpting style as Lars/Susan/Lord Lucan and all of the other "sculptors" they have used...

I think the only successful KS they could fulfill is one for "Dark Age Poop Golems".

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/10/22 11:00:49


"The Omnissiah is my Moderati" 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





SoCal

Again, I've seen first year students, just starting out, and with no particular talent for sculpting, turn in better final projects than this mess.

This mess takes effort to make it look this bad. It's the kind of effort where the sculptor is literally slapping stuff together as fast as he can to fulfill a deadline.

   
Made in us
Brainless Servitor



Virginia

 Alex C wrote:
I think the only successful KS they could fulfill is one for "Dark Age Poop Golems".


Some days I wonder why I spend so much time on the internet.

Then I read posts like this. :-)

-S'Cipio
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

 Vertrucio wrote:
. It's the kind of effort where the sculptor is literally slapping stuff together as fast as he can to fulfill a deadline.

I strongly suspect that the problem is more that there isn't an actual sculptor involved at all. Just someone who thought it looked easy to do...

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka




CL VI Store in at the Cyber Center of Excellence

 insaniak wrote:
 Vertrucio wrote:
. It's the kind of effort where the sculptor is literally slapping stuff together as fast as he can to fulfill a deadline.

I strongly suspect that the problem is more that there isn't an actual sculptor involved at all. Just someone who thought it looked easy to do...


All you haters....

Clearly there are sculpts, thereby allowing the guy/gal/bath salt smoking ebola monkey that sculpted them to use the title "Sculptor".



Good sculptor? Well, maybe not.


Every time a terrorist dies a Paratrooper gets his wings. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

 CptJake wrote:
Clearly there are sculpts, , thereby allowing the guy/gal/bath salt smoking ebola monkey that sculpted them to use the title "Sculptor".

By 'sculptor' in this context I meant 'someone who knows how to sculpt, and has probably actually done some sort of other sculpting before taking on this project...'


The sort of 'technique' on show here is about on par with some of the work that we might see in the P&M section from people just trying out putty for the first time. Certainly not the work of someone with any idea of what they are doing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/10/23 01:44:13


   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

Anyone can see that these are high quality sculpts.

We are just blind to their (pukes in mouth) inner beauty?


Insaniak - you do first time users of putty a disservice. Their work is honest.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/10/23 07:09:54


 
   
Made in us
Sniping Reverend Moira





Cincinnati, Ohio

Wait wait....they claimed they had a former Disney sculptor working for them?!
'

 
   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

 cincydooley wrote:
Wait wait....they claimed they had a former Disney sculptor working for them?!
'


It was a typo. Should have read 'Drunk Hobo'.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 Mr. Burning wrote:
Anyone can see that these are high quality sculpts.

We are just blind to their (pukes in mouth) inner beauty?


Insaniak - you do first time users of putty a disservice. Their work is honest.


Everyone knows mid-sentence sarcasm (especially in parentheses) is the online equivalent of locker room towel snapping bullying. Lars, Dina, and Scott do not appreciate you towel snapping them and are likely raising their hands now (since the yield button is inherently mysogynistic) to get the mods attention to report your online violence equivalent. It will not be tolerated by them nor Disney.

   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

Another misconception.

Larsdinascott - one name - one person. Not 3 separate persons.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






What the feth is a Soto T?

And why is it trying to sculpt?

Did it decapitate the Disney sculptor, yelling "there can be only one!", Highlander-style?

And why does it always stop at "99% finished" to take pics of it's work, instead of getting pics when it's done?

And finally, is ADW still trying to convince people it's legit?

Mythological Circus KS with random gak nobody wants should be coming along soon, right?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/10/30 02:51:55


"The Omnissiah is my Moderati" 
   
Made in ca
Posts with Authority




I'm from the future. The future of space

When I saw the pictures I was like "hey, these are some okay 6mm miniatures... oh... wait."

Balance in pick up games? Two people, each with their own goals for the game, design half a board game on their own without knowing the layout of the board and hope it all works out. Good luck with that. The faster you can find like minded individuals who want the same things from the game as you, the better. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







Rhinos sculpted with rhino poop. Brilliant!!!
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Houston, TX

WOW. Those sculpts are orgasmically bad. If they ever arrive and someone wants to offload a piece or two, let me know - I'd like to own a piece of this epic failure and help you recoup some of your losses. At this point, you have to wonder why they'd even bother making molds of that trash, since that would certainly eat into their scam profits.
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver






Some fancy mood lighting sure doesn't save those sculpts, no sir.

" ...rather than the hyper-stylized, overly violent pop-sculptor tropes (which we never set out to recreate, or compete with, in the first place)."

That is just....just fantastic. I'm sure I'd be a lot less entertained if I'd dropped some green on this but still. Just pure genius.

Join us on the Phoenix Forum for Bolt Action Tournaments and Much More:
http://phoenixgamingrushden.proboards.com/


 
   
Made in us
Mighty Kroxigor Ancient





California the Southern

It honestly comes across as some sort of interactive performance piece at this point.

It would be a lot less frustrating if they didn't have large amounts of good people's money though.

I loved the wikipedia link at the bottom, for us ignorant peasantfolk who aren't accustomed to such big words.

"Animalier."

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Pete Melvin wrote:
Some fancy mood lighting sure doesn't save those sculpts, no sir.

" ...rather than the hyper-stylized, overly violent pop-sculptor tropes (which we never set out to recreate, or compete with, in the first place)."

That is just....just fantastic. I'm sure I'd be a lot less entertained if I'd dropped some green on this but still. Just pure genius.


Someone should refer them back to their basic KS page and the images including concept art contained within...


   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

How are they ever going to get the sculpts past 99% done if we keep exposing all these flaws in their cunning plan?
   
Made in us
Incorporating Wet-Blending





From IAM comments:

Website http://adwgames.com/ has changed to only a placeholder page.

Leadjunkie looked up this Soto T. sculptor. He's dead. "Google indicates Soto T. is a modern art sculptor that died a few years ago."

Assume I wrote, "Yeah, good luck with that" at the end of my post.  
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

If the sculpts are being done by a zombie, that would certainly explain a lot.

   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

ced1106 wrote:
From IAM comments:

Website http://adwgames.com/ has changed to only a placeholder page.

Leadjunkie looked up this Soto T. sculptor. He's dead. "Google indicates Soto T. is a modern art sculptor that died a few years ago."


To be fair it does say a new site will be coming on the 10th. Probably welcoming their true fans and not the snarky want something for nothing moaners of the IAM KS campaign. Sculpts will still be 99% done.
   
Made in se
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Mr. Burning wrote:
To be fair it does say a new site will be coming on the 10th. Probably welcoming their true fans and not the snarky want something for nothing moaners of the IAM KS campaign.
The true and devoted fans of ADW...

AKA "the silent majourity"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/11/03 16:26:18


   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

Zywus wrote:
 Mr. Burning wrote:
To be fair it does say a new site will be coming on the 10th. Probably welcoming their true fans and not the snarky want something for nothing moaners of the IAM KS campaign.
The true and devoted fans of ADW...

AKA "the silent majourity"


They have still got to have some fans though, right?

   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






 Mr. Burning wrote:
Zywus wrote:
 Mr. Burning wrote:
To be fair it does say a new site will be coming on the 10th. Probably welcoming their true fans and not the snarky want something for nothing moaners of the IAM KS campaign.
The true and devoted fans of ADW...

AKA "the silent majourity"


They have still got to have some fans though, right?

And the **** is hitting them.

The Auld Grump

Kilkrazy wrote:When I was a young boy all my wargames were narratively based because I played with my toy soldiers and vehicles without the use of any rules.

The reason I bought rules and became a real wargamer was because I wanted a properly thought out structure to govern the action instead of just making things up as I went along.
 
   
Made in gb
Bryan Ansell





Birmingham, UK

I think that's the casteline.
   
Made in se
Longtime Dakkanaut






I think you two just described ADWs secret sculpting techniques. It chews through the casteline fast, but it sure produces a lot of models.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/11/04 21:43:57


   
Made in us
[MOD]
Dankhold Troggoth






Shadeglass Maze

The Kickstarter comments are somewhat informative / interesting. There were a few like this:

Jarrod O 3 days ago
I got a similar response from KS: it is "out of their hands" but they will "not allow this creator to run another campaign".
I relayed my concern that these are professional scam artists who will change their identities to a point where KS will struggle to identify them during another vetting process in the future.

It's disappointing on Kickstarter's side, since several of us informed them that the second campaign was a scam while it was still running, and they did nothing. But now they want to sweep it under the rug (not acknowledge that they were warned ahead of time, yet did not cancel the project) and only privately tell backers this creator is not allowed to make new projects, instead of posting that publicly.

I know it doesn't benefit their business model to admit wrongdoing, but they obviously know they were wrong here now, and are just kind of trying to get away with it / move on without consequences. Backers of the newer campaign are recent enough that they should still have some recourse... unfortunately, the first campaign was disguised well enough that I don't think anyone could have known for sure that it was a scam, even though it was super sketchy since the deal was way too good to be true. It was their allowing the second campaign that was a major error on Kickstarter's part, imo.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2014/11/04 21:57:31


 
   
Made in us
Incorporating Wet-Blending





 RiTides wrote:
Backers of the newer campaign are recent enough that they should still have some recourse... unfortunately, the first campaign was disguised well enough that I don't think anyone could have known for sure that it was a scam, even though it was super sketchy since the deal was way too good to be true. It was their allowing the second campaign that was a major error on Kickstarter's part, imo.


Well, "sketchy" is enough for me!

KS is not a store, and all that. You can't have clearance prices without stuff to clear out. If a project does sound too good to be true, use that Contact Me button and ask them directly until you get a satisfactory answer.

I should, though, mention that I did just that with Fairytale Games, who did not even show their additional miniatures in their first campaign. They responded that they had an "investor" but since I wanted to see the mini's, I didn't press for more information and did not back the campaign, since I deemed the risk too high. The project looks to eventually fulfill, although they're still 1.5 years into post-fulfillment, some backers want refunds, the creator ended up managing multiple game projects (the scope of the original card game kept expanding), and the mini's have friggin' explosive collars around their necks. Their Update 81 discusses some definite problems the project went into (inexperience, staff turnover, accidental death of one of the staff). The mini's look great, so if you don't mind the cliche-ridden collars, drop them a line and offer to take over someone else's pledge. See Update 74.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/11/05 15:20:37


Assume I wrote, "Yeah, good luck with that" at the end of my post.  
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: