Switch Theme:

Psychic Awakening N&R - New trailer page 106  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Lethal Lhamean




Birmingham

 An Actual Englishman wrote:

Possibly but Burnage does raise an interesting point about Croneworld Eldar. I did a quick google-fu research as it's been a looong time since I knew all the Eldar fluff and a few things stood out to me as very interesting;

1. They are the only source of new spirit stones. Haven't all of the new Ynnari models got a ton of spirit stones all over them, the Avatar of Ynnead is literally in a vortex of them?
2. The resident trapped souls (Aeldari) desperately yearn for the sweet release of death. Aren't the Ynnari utterly focused on death?
3. One of the Ynnari already use the a Crone Sword they took from a Crone World.

Hmmmm. Not a bad shout Burnage. Even if there is no direct fluff link between the Ynarri and Croneworlds there is certainly a thematic one.

On another note, the ruins our banshees are leaping over are very similar in appearance to the broken ruin from the Avatar of Ynnead model.


1. Those Spirit Stones come from dead Craftworlders, entrusting their souls to Ynnead rather than a Craftworlds Infinity Circuit, they are also the source of power for some of the crazier things Yvraine pulls off.
2. Ynnead is the Aeldari God of the Dead, not Death (a subtle but important distinction). Dead Aeldari are in a weird position, whilst their bodies are very defintiely dead their souls remain bound to realspace by Spirit Stones and the Infinity Circuits and so after a fashion can be considerd to live on. They don't want this but can't be allowed to naturally return to the warp as Slaanesh would just munch on them. The Ynnari's goal is to fully awaken Ynnead (it's not a fully formed and awake entity like the other warp gods are yet) and somehow bring about the destruction of Slaanesh.
3. There are 5 Croneswords, Yvraine and the Visarch already seemed to have one each whilst the Avatar gained it's on their journey into the Eye of Terror in the Gathering Storm, but had to abandon the 4th that was on the same planet as they couldn't get to it through the Hamenonculi forces and Daemon hordes. The 5th is Prince Yriel's Spear of Twilight.

Croneworld Aeldari would make for a very weird faction, they'd be very heavily warp tainted and in all likelyhood would be soulless as well, other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Fayric wrote:
GW threatened to reveal some old mysteries from the fluff with this campaign -perhaps Altansar finally takes off their helmets.


Already happened in the Gathering Storm book.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/17 14:30:54


 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 The_Evergrey_One wrote:
I'm wondering if we will also get plastic Striking Scorpions & plastic Mandrakes as they are also usable in Killteam.


Plastic Mandrakes would be interesting, they have a better role/place in the DE lineup (than incubi). I can understand why GW might hesitate on the rest of the court and the beasts, but I'm hoping to see plastic mandrakes and more aspects.

Part of the problem with this piecemeal approach to PR is it gives no indication if they're just doing one or two kits or if they're going to update the range (and rules) to match 8.5 edition marines.

Because at this point it really feels like they've shifted the design paradigm mid-horse, once again.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/09/17 17:45:30


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




 Fayric wrote:
GW threatened to reveal some old mysteries from the fluff with this campaign -perhaps Altansar finally takes off their helmets.


They did already. They were basically just pale IIRC.

tremere47-fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate, leads to triple riptide spam  
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





it would be intressesting to see chaos eldar, which I assume croneworld eldar would be

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





It would be nice if they expanded the Mandrake range with other shadow daemon type units.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






 Imateria wrote:
Spoiler:

1. Those Spirit Stones come from dead Craftworlders, entrusting their souls to Ynnead rather than a Craftworlds Infinity Circuit, they are also the source of power for some of the crazier things Yvraine pulls off.
2. Ynnead is the Aeldari God of the Dead, not Death (a subtle but important distinction). Dead Aeldari are in a weird position, whilst their bodies are very defintiely dead their souls remain bound to realspace by Spirit Stones and the Infinity Circuits and so after a fashion can be considerd to live on. They don't want this but can't be allowed to naturally return to the warp as Slaanesh would just munch on them. The Ynnari's goal is to fully awaken Ynnead (it's not a fully formed and awake entity like the other warp gods are yet) and somehow bring about the destruction of Slaanesh.
3. There are 5 Croneswords, Yvraine and the Visarch already seemed to have one each whilst the Avatar gained it's on their journey into the Eye of Terror in the Gathering Storm, but had to abandon the 4th that was on the same planet as they couldn't get to it through the Hamenonculi forces and Daemon hordes. The 5th is Prince Yriel's Spear of Twilight.

Croneworld Aeldari would make for a very weird faction, they'd be very heavily warp tainted and in all likelyhood would be soulless as well, other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Fayric wrote:
GW threatened to reveal some old mysteries from the fluff with this campaign -perhaps Altansar finally takes off their helmets.


Already happened in the Gathering Storm book.


Thank you for the clarification, very interesting and useful.

I can see Ynnari as a thematic replacement for Croneworlders perhaps, but it sounds like they definitely aren't literally one and the same.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





I've been using Namarti as my replacement for Mandrakes personally, but I'd love plastic Striking Scorps.

I really hope they give them rules to make them functional, though. Striking Scorpions currently basically are

"Do you like Assault Marines but wish they were T3, didn't have Fly and only move 7"?
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Yea both Banshees and Scorpions need something to make them a little more useful.

Banshees suffer from the weird problem of having powerswords on S3 models (though their native -1 to hit in melee is cool) and Scorps as you have stated are basically worse Assault Marines with a mortal wounds gimmick.

Both need a buff to make any new models a worthwhile purchase.
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





the_scotsman wrote:
I've been using Namarti as my replacement for Mandrakes personally, but I'd love plastic Striking Scorps.

I really hope they give them rules to make them functional, though. Striking Scorpions currently basically are

"Do you like Assault Marines but wish they were T3, didn't have Fly and only move 7"?


6 pts.
i would field them.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in gb
Sinewy Scourge




Not Online!!! wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I've been using Namarti as my replacement for Mandrakes personally, but I'd love plastic Striking Scorps.

I really hope they give them rules to make them functional, though. Striking Scorpions currently basically are

"Do you like Assault Marines but wish they were T3, didn't have Fly and only move 7"?


6 pts.
i would field them.
They can't be six points. That's crazy. Kabalites are 6 points.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Not Online!!! wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
I've been using Namarti as my replacement for Mandrakes personally, but I'd love plastic Striking Scorps.

I really hope they give them rules to make them functional, though. Striking Scorpions currently basically are

"Do you like Assault Marines but wish they were T3, didn't have Fly and only move 7"?


6 pts.
i would field them.


I would rather see them given special rules to give them a uniquely useful role rather than have them become ridiculously cheap chaff-tier infantry.

+3" to charge range if they declare a charge against a single unit claiming the benefits of cover would be good. Or give them the new Phobos marine deployment and +2 to their sv from Cover rather than +1, to make them actually perform like ambush hunters that lurk in the shadows and then leap out and attack their prey.

The problem with scorps isn't that their damage output is necessarily terrible (though it isn't great) it's just that they're a hyper-unreliable, super fragile deep strike assault unit.

If you're gonna make me choose between 3x S4 AP- attacks and 4x S3 AP- attacks on the deep strike (Swooping Hawks) with both having some "roll for 6" unreliable mortal wound ability then you'd better make both of them pretty much guaranteed to happen. As it stands, the swooping hawks are 100% guaranteed and the scorps are a measly 28% chance...and they get overwatched.
   
Made in us
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster




Australia

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Sons of Horus 29th Company 
   
Made in pt
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/17 17:37:55


"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




A boxset is going to be nice (since that's what the artwork implies.)

DE: That HQ, incubii, and a ravager?
E: Jain Zarr, Banshees, and ???

Hopefully, the Eldar side is only made up of new models. Otherwise, I'll be less inclined.
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch





Dallas area, TX

 Mr Morden wrote:
Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner....
Which one? Drazhar is basically an Incubi Phoenix Lord. Same statline and similar buffs to corresponding "Aspects".

And if rumors are to be believed, Drazhar is actually Arhra, the ORIGINAL Scorpion Phoenix Lord

-

   
Made in be
Been Around the Block





I kind of dislike Drazhar's new look.

His old model gave him those cool looking "Lictor-esque" blade arms. He now looks kind of generic.
   
Made in us
God-like Imperator Titan Commander





Halifax

That was just him holding his blades all derpy.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Additional: They should rename this Psychic Awakening as Space Elf Leg Day.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/17 17:56:02


 
   
Made in be
Been Around the Block





Nurglitch wrote:
That was just him holding his blades all derpy.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Additional: They should rename this Psychic Awakening as Space Elf Leg Day.


Derpy or not, still preferred that. (and I hope he gets a weapon option to use those wacky looking blades)

Though I might be wrong, since apparently lorewise he carries Demi Klaives.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.

Jain does beat the ever loving gak out of current drazar though. Drazar does get the glorious moral victory of "Aha, I BENEFIT FROM MY STUPID +1 TO HIT!!!"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/17 18:02:46


 
   
Made in pt
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

the_scotsman wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.


Is that with the new strats etc?

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Mr Morden wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.


Is that with the new strats etc?


The only "new strat etc" we know of from the HB exarch makes them worse against incubi. It gives up War Shout (-1 to hit) for a higher strength, higher damage attack profile...which is worse vs Incubi.

If you're talking about theoretical new strats/abilities that we don't know about yet, well I'd turn that back on you - what about the new strats/abilities that Incubi are going to get?

Because there's a looooooot of ground that banshees have to make up. And we do know for sure that all the new abilities give up War Shout.

Wait, sorry - .462 Incubi per turn, not .55. I forgot Power From Pain 6++.
   
Made in gb
Lethal Lhamean




Birmingham

the_scotsman wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.

Jain does beat the ever loving gak out of current drazar though. Drazar does get the glorious moral victory of "Aha, I BENEFIT FROM MY STUPID +1 TO HIT!!!"

Power from Pain already cancels out the -1, so Drazhar doesn't even come close to benefiting from his own aura. Brilliant rules writing.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Imateria wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.

Jain does beat the ever loving gak out of current drazar though. Drazar does get the glorious moral victory of "Aha, I BENEFIT FROM MY STUPID +1 TO HIT!!!"

Power from Pain already cancels out the -1, so Drazhar doesn't even come close to benefiting from his own aura. Brilliant rules writing.


I never assume anything is happening in a game of warhammer 40,000 8th edition after the 2nd turn, so I didn't give them the turn 3 bonus.
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






How you know it is even Drazhar in the pic? Could be just a bit fancier incubus.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Crimson wrote:
How you know it is even Drazhar in the pic? Could be just a bit fancier incubus.


The piece is explicitly named "Drahzar vs. Jain Zar". It's a GW print from 2018.

https://warhammerart.com/shop/warhammer-40000/alien-xenos/drahzar-vs-jain-zar/
   
Made in gb
Lethal Lhamean




Birmingham

the_scotsman wrote:
 Imateria wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Mr Morden wrote:
other than for some cool models I'm not sure what the point would be.


Thats not enough ? rather have interesting / cool models than more gak lke Centurions or Santa Logan.

Chaos Eldar have been present in the lore since the begining but long time since any models.

New Drazhar vs. Jain Zar


Intersting pic - Pheonix Lord should be the clear winner.....plus Banshees have loads of cool new stars etc - incubi and co don't


An incubi kills 1 banshee per turn.
A banshee kills .55 incubi per turn.

By current stats, incubi are clear winners there. an extra attack and S4 with 3+ vs 4+ makes a huge difference.

Jain does beat the ever loving gak out of current drazar though. Drazar does get the glorious moral victory of "Aha, I BENEFIT FROM MY STUPID +1 TO HIT!!!"

Power from Pain already cancels out the -1, so Drazhar doesn't even come close to benefiting from his own aura. Brilliant rules writing.


I never assume anything is happening in a game of warhammer 40,000 8th edition after the 2nd turn, so I didn't give them the turn 3 bonus.

There is a strat to boost your PfP table by 1 turn which would be useful here, and most of my games go beyond turn 3 anyway.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





GaroRobe wrote:
A boxset is going to be nice (since that's what the artwork implies.)



A vs box would be nice. But this could just as easily by cover or internal art from the campaign book.
   
Made in gb
Sneaky Striking Scorpion




I've seen a rumour that the witch king in aos may be revealed as a new chaos god. Maybe vect is being lined up for the same?
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

Isn't it rumored that Drazhar is the founder of the Striking Scorpions? As in, the original Phoenix Lord? If so, Jain doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell against him.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in pt
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Isn't it rumored that Drazhar is the founder of the Striking Scorpions? As in, the original Phoenix Lord? If so, Jain doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell against him.


Even if that is the case - they are both the same then?

It may be the standard comic book team up - meet - fight then face the real enemy together

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: