Switch Theme:

We was made ta fight an’ win! - 9th Edition Ork Tactics  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




 koooaei wrote:
Does blood axe warlord trait allow to redeploy after it's determined who goes 1st?
Cause if it is, some blood axe boyz are gona be not only a scoring or betting on 1st turn tool but a safe one that will add the needed mellee pressure on a flank turn 1 while buggies roll and score.


It's at the end of the deploy forces step. So actually maybe not?
   
Made in hk
Regular Dakkanaut




Hong Kong

By the way, also about the Blood axe trait, do you think we can redeploy/place in reserve like 3 transport vehicles with units embarked inside ? ... A bit like Tellyporta.
   
Made in ru
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Oh, well, seems blood axe trait works before determining who goes first. So, a 45 strong blood axe force is out of the picture for my mechanical list. That's very unfortunate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 03:51:42


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




XC18 wrote:
By the way, also about the Blood axe trait, do you think we can redeploy/place in reserve like 3 transport vehicles with units embarked inside ? ... A bit like Tellyporta.


Yup!

When the vehicles hit the table, you deploy the embarked unit at the same time.

When the Blood Axe ability kicks in, you pick 'em off the table and stick 'em in reserve.

Now, this happens after both armies are set up but before you know who goes first. so it can trip you up, but if you want to be safe, it works well.

Personally, I plan on using it for a pair of Dakkajets and a Bonebreaka. Planes are *notoriously* swatable, but the way they work in 9th is that, when deployed, you stick 'em anywhere outside of 9 inches of the enemy, so you can be certain, no matter what, that they will not die until they'have had a chance to open fire.

For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.

Now, that's 400 pts not on the table in turn 1, and a few of the runits, like the jumppack lads, might also be in deep strike mode, so you have to be ready to take it on the chin for the rest of your force but when it's time, you can hit HARD. Using the Blood Axe ability to fight n scoot and fight will also give you some tactical options for the Breaka, the jumppacks, and bikers, but man alive, are you hurting for Fast Attack slots.
   
Made in ru
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Another odd thing is that badrukk gives re rolls 1s to himself but Snikrot doesn't.

All this plural key words are a mess.
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

Is it possible to have a Warboss and a Speedboss and be able to declare both a Waaagh and a Speedwaagh thanks to the Big Boss stratagem? Both models would be warlord, but I'm not sure due to the wording of the stratagem: it says that the model is treated as the warlord for the purpose of the warlord trait. Which means he can't call a waaagh/speedwaaagh as he isn't the actual warlord?


 
   
Made in us
Yellin' Yoof




As far as I understand you only get one waaagh unless you take Ghaz, for his great waaagh!

As a sidenote the deffkilla wartrike is both a vehicle and a character so in a great waaagh! The wartrike will get both the waaagh, and speedwaaagh bonuses.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 09:07:36


 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 Blackie wrote:
Is it possible to have a Warboss and a Speedboss and be able to declare both a Waaagh and a Speedwaagh thanks to the Big Boss stratagem? Both models would be warlord, but I'm not sure due to the wording of the stratagem: it says that the model is treated as the warlord for the purpose of the warlord trait. Which means he can't call a waaagh/speedwaaagh as he isn't the actual warlord?


When you use stratagems like this on a model (I think almost every 9th codex has them), you essentially replace any occurrence of "warlord" with "this model" for the warlord trait. For every other purpose, it's not your warlord, including calling the Waaagh!, unlocking stratagems or effects that trigger off killing a warlord.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in gb
Tough-as-Nails Ork Boy




United Kingdom

Wakshaani wrote:
XC18 wrote:
By the way, also about the Blood axe trait, do you think we can redeploy/place in reserve like 3 transport vehicles with units embarked inside ? ... A bit like Tellyporta.


Yup!

When the vehicles hit the table, you deploy the embarked unit at the same time.

When the Blood Axe ability kicks in, you pick 'em off the table and stick 'em in reserve.

Now, this happens after both armies are set up but before you know who goes first. so it can trip you up, but if you want to be safe, it works well.

Personally, I plan on using it for a pair of Dakkajets and a Bonebreaka. Planes are *notoriously* swatable, but the way they work in 9th is that, when deployed, you stick 'em anywhere outside of 9 inches of the enemy, so you can be certain, no matter what, that they will not die until they'have had a chance to open fire.

For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.

Now, that's 400 pts not on the table in turn 1, and a few of the runits, like the jumppack lads, might also be in deep strike mode, so you have to be ready to take it on the chin for the rest of your force but when it's time, you can hit HARD. Using the Blood Axe ability to fight n scoot and fight will also give you some tactical options for the Breaka, the jumppacks, and bikers, but man alive, are you hurting for Fast Attack slots.


one thing about the teleporter i noticed is that it doesn't allow monsters, but you can put gaz in a wagon as loop hole lol

SMASH  
   
Made in de
Been Around the Block




On a side note, das anyone else have problems with the Code for the app? I'm not able to redeem mine and heard of other players in Germany who are having the same issues.Is this a local problem or worldwide?
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






Bossdoc wrote:
On a side note, das anyone else have problems with the Code for the app? I'm not able to redeem mine and heard of other players in Germany who are having the same issues.Is this a local problem or worldwide?


My box didn't arrive yet, will test as soon as I can.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in gb
Tough-as-Nails Ork Boy




United Kingdom

so the gretchin rule preventing the use of stratagems is gone......and good riddance it was stupid

that suddenly makes kustom megakannons and tratkor kannons interesting, though there are no useful strats for them beyond careen

and makari has a use, he boosts mech gun leadership back up from 4 to 7 with his 12" aura to help stop them fleeing

and suddenly, just like that, they are actually useful again lol

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 09:53:47


SMASH  
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




Wakshaani wrote:


For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.


if you wanna ramming speed an empty bonebreaka via tellyport... just use the hunta rig instead. its cheaper and better than a bonebreaka

hunta rig 160pts
SIX s8 ap2 2D, FOUR s7 ap2 3D, FOUR s5 ap1 1D attacks hitting on 3's (2's if its a vehicle or monster)
vs
bonebreaka 175pts
6+d6 s8 ap2 2D


EDIT:
done some math:

bonebreaka
vs primaris: 4,4 dead or 8,8w
vs T7 3+: 7w
vs T8 3+: 5,2w

rig:
vs Primaris: 4,2 dead + 0,9w(from 1d attacks) or 10,5w
vs T7 3+: 8,8w
vsT8 3+: 6,1w

oh and dont forget all the shooting the rig does

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 10:26:13


 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

Hunta rig model has not been released yet though, that's why a bonebreaka is a legit option at the moment. I'd even invest the points (15? 20?) for the kustom job to give the rolla more attacks on average, since you're already putting 4CPs for that combo.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Jidmah wrote:
 Blackie wrote:
Is it possible to have a Warboss and a Speedboss and be able to declare both a Waaagh and a Speedwaagh thanks to the Big Boss stratagem? Both models would be warlord, but I'm not sure due to the wording of the stratagem: it says that the model is treated as the warlord for the purpose of the warlord trait. Which means he can't call a waaagh/speedwaaagh as he isn't the actual warlord?


When you use stratagems like this on a model (I think almost every 9th codex has them), you essentially replace any occurrence of "warlord" with "this model" for the warlord trait. For every other purpose, it's not your warlord, including calling the Waaagh!, unlocking stratagems or effects that trigger off killing a warlord.


That's what I thought. It sucks since I'd like to get both bonuses but I don't want to play Ghaz. Speedboss as the warlord looks more solid for the kinds of lists I like to field, I'll probably lean towards him.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 10:35:10



 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




but then again you could use the points of the red rolla (which give on average +1 attack me thinks and min 2) to upgrade the hunta rig to the killa rig (char keyword, psychic attacks and some other shenenigans)

i am not saying you shoule NEVER EVER field the bonebreaka, just that the new stuff is way more efficient. the wagons are still good as a shooting plattform for lootaz, tankbustaz or flashgitz (although the squigoth is better for the last options since it negates the heavy Penalty) but as a ramming implement form deepstrike? i see no reason not to get either one of the rigs instead

especially since they can do some shenaninganz with the big lobba and harpoon gun



EDIT and kinda offtopic
@ blackie

last week i've got this t-shirt as a birthday gift xD

Spoiler:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 11:48:43


 
   
Made in no
Rogue Grot Kannon Gunna






Any idea on how big is mozrag/warboss on Squig? Want to create my own version with a 3d printed colossal Squig and a dude hanging from the side
   
Made in hk
Regular Dakkanaut




Hong Kong

Concerning Burnas, actually now that their guns are D6 hit and 12" range, they actually have far more firepower than shootas, no ?
Ex.a suicide squad (coming from reserve or Tellyporta , at best at 9" from target), let's assume 10 Burnas (ie. 8burnas + 2 spanners) they'll get 8xD6 so ~24 autohits.
To get the same amount of hits you would need 36 shootas boys which is 3 times more expensive.(Or 24 of you manage to get longer range)
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






RedNoak wrote:
Wakshaani wrote:


For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.


if you wanna ramming speed an empty bonebreaka via tellyport... just use the hunta rig instead. its cheaper and better than a bonebreaka

hunta rig 160pts
SIX s8 ap2 2D, FOUR s7 ap2 3D, FOUR s5 ap1 1D attacks hitting on 3's (2's if its a vehicle or monster)
vs
bonebreaka 175pts
6+d6 s8 ap2 2D

Deff rolla attacks are S9 AP -2 2dmg and hit on 2+ (math correctly considered this)




EDIT:
done some math:

bonebreaka
vs primaris: 4,4 dead or 8,8w
vs T7 3+: 7w
vs T8 3+: 5,2w

rig:
vs Primaris: 4,2 dead + 0,9w(from 1d attacks) or 10,5w
vs T7 3+: 8,8w
vsT8 3+: 6,1w

I get different results...
For MEQ, bonebreaka kills 4.4, kill rig is 3.444
For rhino equivalents, bonebreaka does 7.037, kill rig is 8.33
For LRBT equivalents, bonebreaka does 7.037, kill rig is 6.111
I assumed beast snagga +1 to hit for rhino and LRBT, but not for MEQ.

oh and dont forget all the shooting the rig does

Eh, considering its BS, you might as well forget it.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

RedNoak wrote:
but then again you could use the points of the red rolla (which give on average +1 attack me thinks and min 2) to upgrade the hunta rig to the killa rig (char keyword, psychic attacks and some other shenenigans)

i am not saying you shoule NEVER EVER field the bonebreaka, just that the new stuff is way more efficient. the wagons are still good as a shooting plattform for lootaz, tankbustaz or flashgitz (although the squigoth is better for the last options since it negates the heavy Penalty) but as a ramming implement form deepstrike? i see no reason not to get either one of the rigs instead

especially since they can do some shenaninganz with the big lobba and harpoon gun



EDIT and kinda offtopic
@ blackie

last week i've got this t-shirt as a birthday gift xD

Spoiler:



I also think that the rig is better for that job but there's a problem with model's availability since it's not even been released yet. Most people play with the model they actually have. That's why I advocate for the bonebreaka, which is a reasonable alternative to the rig. Not as powerful, I agree, but good enough to be considered if that is what's available at the moment.

Wagons as shooting platforms aka T7 wagons, are no-go for me since T6 4+ is pretty much the same as T7 3+ against all the anti tank in the world and +6W doesn't justify +65 points, at that point just consider much cheaper trukks.

I love the t-shirt .


 
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker






Wakshaani wrote:
XC18 wrote:
By the way, also about the Blood axe trait, do you think we can redeploy/place in reserve like 3 transport vehicles with units embarked inside ? ... A bit like Tellyporta.


Yup!

When the vehicles hit the table, you deploy the embarked unit at the same time.

When the Blood Axe ability kicks in, you pick 'em off the table and stick 'em in reserve.

Now, this happens after both armies are set up but before you know who goes first. so it can trip you up, but if you want to be safe, it works well.

Personally, I plan on using it for a pair of Dakkajets and a Bonebreaka. Planes are *notoriously* swatable, but the way they work in 9th is that, when deployed, you stick 'em anywhere outside of 9 inches of the enemy, so you can be certain, no matter what, that they will not die until they'have had a chance to open fire.

For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.

Now, that's 400 pts not on the table in turn 1, and a few of the runits, like the jumppack lads, might also be in deep strike mode, so you have to be ready to take it on the chin for the rest of your force but when it's time, you can hit HARD. Using the Blood Axe ability to fight n scoot and fight will also give you some tactical options for the Breaka, the jumppacks, and bikers, but man alive, are you hurting for Fast Attack slots.

As someone who loves Deffrollas and Blood axes I'll have to give this a try once I get a hold of the new codex. It's CP heavy but sounds like a very fun way to invest the points.

I'm not sure I understood how the Blood axe trait will help keep the Dakkajet's more survivable but I also have zero experience with flyers. I've picked up a few over the years since I love how they look but I've never run one.
   
Made in cz
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





Prague

 Blackie wrote:

Wagons as shooting platforms aka T7 wagons, are no-go for me since T6 4+ is pretty much the same as T7 3+ against all the anti tank in the world and +6W doesn't justify +65 points, at that point just consider much cheaper trukks.


Kannonwagon. His huge adventage is the range. It´ s our only solid long range gun. Helps me a lot. Sit and screen the backfield and do the hell in enemy deploy. With old More dakka it was pretty briliant.

9000pt and one Ad Mech T-shirt 
   
Made in gb
Stabbin' Skarboy





crewe

Bossdoc wrote:
On a side note, das anyone else have problems with the Code for the app? I'm not able to redeem mine and heard of other players in Germany who are having the same issues.Is this a local problem or worldwide?


The app isnt being updated until the standalone codex release later in the year. If you have input the code in, when it goes live, itll automatically update for you.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Emicrania wrote:
Any idea on how big is mozrag/warboss on Squig? Want to create my own version with a 3d printed colossal Squig and a dude hanging from the side


looks like a 80mm round base, and deff dread sized.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 13:42:42


How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?  
   
Made in es
Gangly Grot Rebel




Goff detachments with

- squigboss
- 30 snagga
- nob squig
- 10 kommando
- 15 stormboy
- 9 squighog
- 1 killrig
- Maybe 1 dread, but DS + ramming speed is too expensive, and walker may not be useful.

bad moons

- deffkilla (not sure)
- 9 warbikes
- 2 rukkatrukk and dakkajet or 3 rukkatrukk

I try to clean the screens with dakka and big blob of squigs just rush mid and try to grab objectives with kommando and stormboyz.

Drukhari would counter me with fight last and dark lances into the dakkajet/killrig. But the rest of the armies will struggle I think

Important: Bad moons is due that rukkatrukks launchers are only 18". I need more range...

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/25 14:00:33


Orks 5000p 
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

 Tomsug wrote:
 Blackie wrote:

Wagons as shooting platforms aka T7 wagons, are no-go for me since T6 4+ is pretty much the same as T7 3+ against all the anti tank in the world and +6W doesn't justify +65 points, at that point just consider much cheaper trukks.


Kannonwagon. His huge adventage is the range. It´ s our only solid long range gun. Helps me a lot. Sit and screen the backfield and do the hell in enemy deploy. With old More dakka it was pretty briliant.


It's a nice tank indeed, I also played it, but I don't think it's meant to be an effective platform for some shooty units inside since it can only transport 6 dudes. Could be nice for Flash Gitz but they have short range while that tank really wants to be far far away from the action. The new gunwagon with da boomer and Boomboyz buff (which can't be given to Kannonwagon since it lacks the WAGON keyword) is a solid alternative to that FW model I think.


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 Jidmah wrote:


I get different results...
For MEQ, bonebreaka kills 4.4, kill rig is 3.444
For rhino equivalents, bonebreaka does 7.037, kill rig is 8.33
For LRBT equivalents, bonebreaka does 7.037, kill rig is 6.111
I assumed beast snagga +1 to hit for rhino and LRBT, but not for MEQ.

oh and dont forget all the shooting the rig does

Eh, considering its BS, you might as well forget it.


yeah, forgot that bonebraka is s9! and my math was a bit off (guess i got confused with THREE different melee profiles )... but still i think its the better option and that the shooting isnt so bad... its a d6 indirect 2D weapon and basically a rerollable hooking missile, plus you could pull off some shenanigans with the heavy lobbas "half move, -2 to advance and charge" strat. also it costs 15points less and has a 6++

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/25 14:19:47


 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




The Blood Axe redeploy is before you know who goes first? That lowers it's value considerably. Hhmm.
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






Acehilator wrote:
The Blood Axe redeploy is before you know who goes first? That lowers it's value considerably. Hhmm.


IMO, it's best used with stuff like kanonwagons, SAG or mek guns, where you can line up shots to units they have deployed in hiding.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




RedNoak wrote:
Wakshaani wrote:


For the Bonebreaka, same thing … it stays in reserve, then drops in, goes RAMMING SPEED! and should slam into a target since it'll be rolling 3D6, with the 'ere we go reroll if needed, to go 9". it *can* fail, but on average, it'll land, so you get one round of squishin' without having to worry about being melted first … choose your target wisely.


if you wanna ramming speed an empty bonebreaka via tellyport... just use the hunta rig instead. its cheaper and better than a bonebreaka

hunta rig 160pts
SIX s8 ap2 2D, FOUR s7 ap2 3D, FOUR s5 ap1 1D attacks hitting on 3's (2's if its a vehicle or monster)
vs
bonebreaka 175pts
6+d6 s8 ap2 2D


EDIT:
done some math:

bonebreaka
vs primaris: 4,4 dead or 8,8w
vs T7 3+: 7w
vs T8 3+: 5,2w

rig:
vs Primaris: 4,2 dead + 0,9w(from 1d attacks) or 10,5w
vs T7 3+: 8,8w
vsT8 3+: 6,1w

oh and dont forget all the shooting the rig does


Your math is a bit off (The Bonebreaka's Deathrolla hits on a 2+, wounds on a 2+, and at damage 2, kills a Primaris with each wounding hit unless they save at -2, for example) but there are two bigger issues:

First, while the new models are strong, I don't really care for the look.

Secondly … I have a Bonebreaka. I don't have the new, unreleased, thing yet.

So I'll be using a Bonebreaka.
   
Made in dk
Longtime Dakkanaut




Danmark

Hey guys. If you call a waagh in turn 2 and you have dakka jets arriving from deepstrike same turn, do units still receive the waagh buff? They arrive after its called.

I mean it is army wide, id say they do. Its also a 2 turn buff anyway.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/25 16:09:37


Hope, is the first step on the road to disappointment.

- About Dawn of War 3 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




 The Red Hobbit wrote:

As someone who loves Deffrollas and Blood axes I'll have to give this a try once I get a hold of the new codex. It's CP heavy but sounds like a very fun way to invest the points.

I'm not sure I understood how the Blood axe trait will help keep the Dakkajet's more survivable but I also have zero experience with flyers. I've picked up a few over the years since I love how they look but I've never run one.


The only CP is the RAMMING SPEED! strat… being Blood axe lets you toss three units in reserve for free, so that doesn't cost you any CP.

The Dakkajest are the two other units that you stick in reserve … since they aren't on the board for 1, or 2 if you go second, rounds of shooting, they can't be destroyed before doing anything. When it's your turn, you place them on the table, thus getting one round of shooting no matter what. if well-timed, the rest of your force could be engaged with the units that could clip your wings, giving you a pair of planes that could fly around, threatened only by small-arms fire.

A big problem with using flying units ordinarily is that they start on the board, everyone can see them, and the opponent's anti-vehicle weapons will take them down if you lose the go-first roll. This way, you ensure that you get to use them before you lose them. And it's free.

Now, if your opponent doesn't really have anything that can take them down in round one, you could redeploy other units/ It's all about movement shenanigans, here, and mixed-unit forces. I'm looking at a Brigade possibly for my gus, or possibly a Battalion plus … oh lord, bad time to blank … the fast attack one … as what I need are a TON of fast attack slots, since that's where our best stuff is. Bikes, buggies, Koptas, the utility of Stormboys… it's a good, GOOD slot for us. I just wish that the Koptas had the old option of Big Shootas instead of Rokkits to get them at a cheaper price, so I could properly swarm (and use my models that are thus-armed!) but I can manage either way.

The big hold-up is that I don't have the character options I need to really make it sing, but, more as this one develops.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: