Switch Theme:

Tactical Reserves  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/new-warhammer-40000-reserves-and-deep-striking-may17gw-homepage-post-4/

Looks good
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






Looks great! I'm glad they're toning down the randomness.

   
Made in dk
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

I like it. The Trygon rule of having a unit following in its tunnel is really flavourful.

 
   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







Not really. Random charges and "I appear from nowhere to nuke you before you have a chance to respond!" are totally still here. They've just made armies that can't string out expendable space-filling units incredibly vulnerable to Drop Pods.

Victoria est autem vita.

Project Blog up at http://knightofthegrey.wordpress.com/
(Meridian status: in progress) 
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




WA, USA

Looks like null deployment strategies are gone, which is no skin off of my nose.

 Ouze wrote:

Afterward, Curran killed a guy in the parking lot with a trident.
 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




After any movement phase, that means after the 1st one too. So T1 charges from DS are a thing.
We'll have to see if every unit can DS on T1 like that, but it seems that you could deploy half your army, then DS the other half in your first turn, and charge. That seems pretty brutal.
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard





And. It explains the changes to summoning. Being able to bring in reserve units after turn 3 is a buff to holding points in reserve. I wonder if it also let's them put more than half thier army in reserve too.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Shoreline

Hope it will be rare for units that can DS and have +X" to charge range!

I wonder how they will rework (or delete) the Ynnari rule of SFD...
   
Made in dk
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

fresus wrote:
After any movement phase, that means after the 1st one too. So T1 charges from DS are a thing.
We'll have to see if every unit can DS on T1 like that, but it seems that you could deploy half your army, then DS the other half in your first turn, and charge. That seems pretty brutal.


I doubt you can just DS it all round 1.

 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






 Purifier wrote:
fresus wrote:
After any movement phase, that means after the 1st one too. So T1 charges from DS are a thing.
We'll have to see if every unit can DS on T1 like that, but it seems that you could deploy half your army, then DS the other half in your first turn, and charge. That seems pretty brutal.


I doubt you can just DS it all round 1.


Why not? It's exactly what the Trygon does: "at the end of ANY of your movement phases."


   
Made in dk
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

 docdoom77 wrote:
 Purifier wrote:
fresus wrote:
After any movement phase, that means after the 1st one too. So T1 charges from DS are a thing.
We'll have to see if every unit can DS on T1 like that, but it seems that you could deploy half your army, then DS the other half in your first turn, and charge. That seems pretty brutal.


I doubt you can just DS it all round 1.


Why not? It's exactly what the Trygon does: "at the end of ANY of your movement phases."



My doubt isn't that you can't drop anything. It's that I doubt you can drop all of it
You know, like how in 7th drop pods are "half of them in round 1."

 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






 Purifier wrote:
 docdoom77 wrote:
 Purifier wrote:
fresus wrote:
After any movement phase, that means after the 1st one too. So T1 charges from DS are a thing.
We'll have to see if every unit can DS on T1 like that, but it seems that you could deploy half your army, then DS the other half in your first turn, and charge. That seems pretty brutal.


I doubt you can just DS it all round 1.


Why not? It's exactly what the Trygon does: "at the end of ANY of your movement phases."



My doubt isn't that you can't drop anything. It's that I doubt you can drop all of it
You know, like how in 7th drop pods are "half of them in round 1."


Oh! Yeah, you're right. That does seem likely.

   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




So an all pod, null deploy army is completely invalidated? So GW said I could still play with all my models (drop pods), but not really...

Well I think I have to just sell my whole pod army and start something else or just quit. I love having a variety of choices in how to enjoy this great game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/17 14:41:24


 
   
Made in dk
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

HaussVonHorne wrote:
So an all pod, null deploy army is completely invalidated?


in matched play.

While I realise it's the only "mode" that matters to many of us, me included, they aren't lying. There are two other modes in which your alpha strike list is completely valid.

And they didn't say you would be able to use your strategies. They said your models wouldn't be invalidated, and they're not. Even in matched play, you can still use your drop pods.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/17 14:44:15


 
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard





This from the Facebook Feed.
"Can reserved units enter the game whenever the owning player wants them to? For example, the subterrainian assault doesn't say if the units can remain underground to come up later or does it have to arrive first turn since it doesn't say it can wait?
Warhammer 40,000 Have a look at the Trygon; it's rules simply say "end of any of your movement phases". Now, that rule is specifically for the Trygon; other units may require a roll, but it will be noted on their datasheet if it is."

So when reserves come on the board are now unit dependant. A lot less random.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




@Purifier

We all know there is ONLY matched play. Don't be silly.
   
Made in dk
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

 Gloomfang wrote:
This from the Facebook Feed.
"Can reserved units enter the game whenever the owning player wants them to? For example, the subterrainian assault doesn't say if the units can remain underground to come up later or does it have to arrive first turn since it doesn't say it can wait?
Warhammer 40,000 Have a look at the Trygon; it's rules simply say "end of any of your movement phases". Now, that rule is specifically for the Trygon; other units may require a roll, but it will be noted on their datasheet if it is."

So when reserves come on the board are now unit dependant. A lot less random.


I don't trust an official statement that doesn't know the difference between "its" and "it's"

 
   
Made in us
Angry Blood Angel Assault marine



Walnut Creek, CA

I've been out of the meta since end of 6th ed, and I'm very excited for 8th ed!

That being said, while T1 charges are seemingly very good, they aren't the end of the world anymore. It just opens up more tactical options as a defender of a T1 charge. Obviously, going second is a huge advantage against a T1 charge. Especially considering all units can fall back out of combat, leaving the enemy vulnerable in the shooting phase. Also, I now see how useful the strategem of interrupting the combat sequence can be very strong. Limiting the damage of a T1 charge can significantly swing the game.

As for invalidating DP lists, don't assume anything until we see the rules. They have explicitly stated that there is no more game-wide reserve rules. Therefore, DPs may bypass the Tactical Reserve rules. Of course this is speculation, but I bet if you raise hell on their Facebook page about this topic, they'd take your concern into account.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Houston

My stormboyz are excited about the prospect of charging out of reserves!
   
Made in lu
Frenzied Berserker Terminator






This is potentially crazy. the rules and stipulations will be in the unit rules so extrapolating from here is dangerous but if a trygon and his posse and charge why wouldn't other units be able to.
So the raptor talon got even better by virtue of not getting a disordered charge (the trygon can charge normally from what we can tell) and you don't even need three units to do it.
A terminator (annihilation force) might well be able to come down fire it's now better combi bolters and then also charge or even if shooting stops them from charging, you could still charge with them lightning claw termies.
All on T1. Of course this makes Black Legion as it is pretty pointless since everybody get's to deepstrike T1 now. Including fire raptors, blood slaughterers and what have you.

I wonder if units will also be able to charge from drop pods now. The possibilities! This edition is shaping up to be one hell of a slaughter fest.
   
Made in se
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

You've got a higher than 50% chance to miss the trygon charge, as you need to roll an 8 to make up the 9 inches distance. If you want to give the group that comes with you a really good chance to charge instead, you place them 3 inches towards your target and they're then in the way of the trygon. It's really good, but it's not an automatic two units in combat.

I think charging out of pods is almost a given at this point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/05/17 15:09:08


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



Shoreline

 Purifier wrote:
You've got a higher than 50% chance to miss the trygon charge, as you need to roll an 8 to make up the 9 inches distance. If you want to give the group that comes with you a really good chance to charge instead, you place them 3 inches towards your target and they're then in the way of the trygon. It's really good, but it's not an automatic two units in combat.

I think charging out of pods is almost a given at this point.


I do believe the units inside the DP will also need to be 9" away similar to the units the Trygon may bring with it. So still need to roll 8+
   
Made in lu
Frenzied Berserker Terminator






I guess that depends on how they disembark. Currently they would just walk up a casual 6 inches, leaving a mere 3 inches to charge. More than likely going to change though.
   
Made in us
Captain of the Forlorn Hope




 Purifier wrote:
I like it. The Trygon rule of having a unit following in its tunnel is really flavourful.


He's a nydus worm now


Automatically Appended Next Post:
HaussVonHorne wrote:
So an all pod, null deploy army is completely invalidated? So GW said I could still play with all my models (drop pods), but not really...

Well I think I have to just sell my whole pod army and start something else or just quit. I love having a variety of choices in how to enjoy this great game.


Should never have been a thing to begin with, I think.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Roknar wrote:
This is potentially crazy. the rules and stipulations will be in the unit rules so extrapolating from here is dangerous but if a trygon and his posse and charge why wouldn't other units be able to.
So the raptor talon got even better by virtue of not getting a disordered charge (the trygon can charge normally from what we can tell) and you don't even need three units to do it.
A terminator (annihilation force) might well be able to come down fire it's now better combi bolters and then also charge or even if shooting stops them from charging, you could still charge with them lightning claw termies.
All on T1. Of course this makes Black Legion as it is pretty pointless since everybody get's to deepstrike T1 now. Including fire raptors, blood slaughterers and what have you.

I wonder if units will also be able to charge from drop pods now. The possibilities! This edition is shaping up to be one hell of a slaughter fest.


Getting assaulted is no longer a death sentence, though.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/05/17 15:38:43


 
   
Made in se
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






Metalica

Tautastic wrote:
 Purifier wrote:
You've got a higher than 50% chance to miss the trygon charge, as you need to roll an 8 to make up the 9 inches distance. If you want to give the group that comes with you a really good chance to charge instead, you place them 3 inches towards your target and they're then in the way of the trygon. It's really good, but it's not an automatic two units in combat.

I think charging out of pods is almost a given at this point.


I do believe the units inside the DP will also need to be 9" away similar to the units the Trygon may bring with it. So still need to roll 8+


Oh yeah, extra unit has to stay 9" away too. So yeah, it's not a safe charge.

 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy






Tautastic wrote:
 Purifier wrote:
You've got a higher than 50% chance to miss the trygon charge, as you need to roll an 8 to make up the 9 inches distance. If you want to give the group that comes with you a really good chance to charge instead, you place them 3 inches towards your target and they're then in the way of the trygon. It's really good, but it's not an automatic two units in combat.

I think charging out of pods is almost a given at this point.


I do believe the units inside the DP will also need to be 9" away similar to the units the Trygon may bring with it. So still need to roll 8+


Actually, it says MORE than 9" away, so you need to roll a 9 just to get within one inch.


   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





It be a long charge. Still, having a whole host of bugs pop up and try to make that charge is something I'm DEFINITELY going to try to do at least once!

 Galef wrote:
If you refuse to use rock, you will never beat scissors.
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 curran12 wrote:
Looks like null deployment strategies are gone, which is no skin off of my nose.


For now, no guarantee of them staying gone. Also, a Deathwing terminator army is confirmed for launch, It seemed likely, but it's nice to have them called out by name.

Necrons - 4k
Dark angels - 2k
Alpha Legion 30k - 2k

"There needs to be more necrons in 30k, when you've been asleep for millions of years 10k might as well be a rounding error" 
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard





 Yarium wrote:
It be a long charge. Still, having a whole host of bugs pop up and try to make that charge is something I'm DEFINITELY going to try to do at least once!


And out of all armies Nids should have CP to spare for that reroll.
   
Made in ie
Dominating Dominatrix






Dublin, Ireland

Bummer about null deployment if totally gone, I thought it was a interesting mechanic and gave some armies a different feel / way of playing tactically.

As for the Trygon rule, about time, might actually be able to
de -shelve these guys and use them again.

The "destroyed if not on the table at end of R3" rule could be huge though.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: