Switch Theme:

GW price rise - 4th February  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Mysterious Techpriest




United Kingdom

From WarCom:

A Quick Heads-up

Hiya folks,
In the spirit of openness, we’ve got a quick bit of news for you today: as of the 4th of February this year, the price of paints and some of the Start Collecting! sets will change.
Paint pots will have a small increase of 20 pence per pot (or local currency equivalent). The paint sets, though, will have no change, making them an even better way to round out your painting arsenal.
The Start Collecting! sets are going up a little too, but you’ll still save at least 20% over buying the contents individually and in some cases more like 40%!
Happy painting,

– The Warhammer Community Team

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/04 11:24:17


 
   
Made in se
Been Around the Block





its a 5 or 10£ increase on the start collecting boxes, confirmed by gw on facebook
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





Now would be a really good time to address some of the pricing imbalances in the international markets. Start collecting boxes already cost the equivalent of more than £80 here in Japan. Do they really need to make them cost even more?
   
Made in gb
Mysterious Techpriest




United Kingdom

"the price of paints and some of the Start Collecting! sets will change" & "affected Start Collecting! sets will change in price by either £5 or £10" - I wonder which ones will go up (and I don't think it's a good idea to have Start Collecting! boxes at different prices).
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Really? A price rise?

   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Really? A price rise?


Nothing weird about it.

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

~12200 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




UK

I just want to say thank you to GW for the heads up on the approaching price rises! Another sign of their big attitude change toward gamers!

In the past we'd have only gotten this on the day of the rise or in a garbled series of confusing updates from retailers around the world updating their listings here and there in bits and at varying discounts and local prices. So its really great that we are getting this update direct from GW themselves and in advance!



A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sure...

   
Made in de
Inspiring Icon Bearer






There's nothing great about this. The heads-up is just the least bothersome part about it.

With how many people often profess their support for GW's competitors' paint ranges, I have to wonder why they think increasing the price for paints is a good idea.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in ca
Drew_Riggio






This is a pretty bizarre choice. The start collecting sets seem pretty much as gateway drugs towards getting you to spend more on other, non-discounted models. They offer only limited purchase choice per faction, after which the consumer suddenly has a reason to pay the laughably high prices for other kits in the faction (like 160 dollar monsters or 40 dollar single infantry models).

GW must be feeling pretty confident in themselves to make the shift.
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





The problem is that they have come off the back of a couple of years of record profits and sales. The reintroduction of meaningfully discounted box sets has been a big part of their recent success.
Despite the heads up, this price increase will put off new players and people buying gifts for family members.
It is a pretty well known fact that most people's number one complaint about GW is their high prices. There is no explanation in that little article about why they are increasing prices. Will those slight increases really make such a difference their bottom line that it is worth driving away a certain number of potential customers?
It is also a very British centric article. GW needs to be aware that they are a global company. If they want to be transparent, they should be publishing a list of the new prices for every country they operate in rather than just saying local currency equivalent.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/04 12:30:32


 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

I’m one of the real wackos as I prefer the GW paints as I paint straight from the pot, no dropper bottles is my preference. That said I have about 100 various dropper bottles from the different ranges to fill in colors. Guess I’ll be trying out the instar paints soon.

Also I had been considering getting some start collecting sets, but then have continuously walked away thinking I can still get better value from other brands. GW still has improved greatly over the last few years.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut





I guess we'll see the paints start costing $8 Australian now. There already $6 a pop.

I'll be more interested in seeing how much crazy markup they add on all australian prices. IIRC every new set costs at least 40% (after conversion) more when compared to our UK cousins.
   
Made in ch
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Really? A price rise?

They've been generating a lot of good will recently with their continued smoke and mirrors. They probably figure if they do this now, people will defend it and some might even support it out of some weird place of fanboyism.

The last minute bump to their profits when everybody scoops up the paints/SC's they want probably won't hurt either.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/04 12:35:48


 
   
Made in gb
Enginseer with a Wrench




UK

I would take the price rise if they refreshed the contents of the Start Collecting boxes, some of them are looking a bit tired now. I guess I need to grab the other Militarum Tempestus ones I intended to buy at the end of January then. They must be a prime candidate with their £80+ content "value".

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in gb
Most Glorious Grey Seer






 Arbitrator wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Really? A price rise?

They've been generating a lot of good will recently with their continued smoke and mirrors. They probably figure if they do this now, people will defend it and some might even support it out of some weird place of fanboyism.

The last minute bump to their profits when everybody scoops up the paints/SC's they want probably won't hurt either.


UK Financial year runs April-March though?

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
Made in de
Inspiring Icon Bearer






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
 Arbitrator wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Really? A price rise?

They've been generating a lot of good will recently with their continued smoke and mirrors. They probably figure if they do this now, people will defend it and some might even support it out of some weird place of fanboyism.

The last minute bump to their profits when everybody scoops up the paints/SC's they want probably won't hurt either.


UK Financial year runs April-March though?


GW's financial year ends on May 31, and they do two half-year reports.

Either way, there's no last minute boosting going on with this price increase.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in jp
Ship's Officer






The Land of the Rising Sun

Chikout wrote:
Now would be a really good time to address some of the pricing imbalances in the international markets. Start collecting boxes already cost the equivalent of more than £80 here in Japan. Do they really need to make them cost even more?


Yes, it's a fact that in Japan everybody is swimming in big money. It's only fair that we pay a 60% extra to our GW overlords.

M.

Jenkins: You don't have jurisdiction here!
Smith Jamison: We aren't here, which means when we open up on you and shred your bodies with automatic fire then this will never have happened.

Raxmei wrote:24ps is the range. 24". If that were the points cost then lasguns and plasma guns would cost the same amount and flamers would have a cost of "Souffle".

Every year Golden Week Tournament at www.nagoyahammer.com 
   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






 Miguelsan wrote:
Chikout wrote:
Now would be a really good time to address some of the pricing imbalances in the international markets. Start collecting boxes already cost the equivalent of more than £80 here in Japan. Do they really need to make them cost even more?


Yes, it's a fact that in Japan everybody is swimming in big money. It's only fair that we pay a 60% extra to our GW overlords.

M.


Oh I know y’all are loaded over there. It’s kind of gotten to be a thing at the FLGS where foreign visitors have been leaving one of their local bills behind to be tacked to the wall behind the register. They’re mostly all 5 and under, plus one 10. The Japanese note? 1000. Fancy schmancy big spenders.

 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Mississippi

I wouldn’t be nearly as perturbed at a paint cost raise if they would change to a better pot.

We all pretty much know that GW paint is designed to dry out and now they want more for the privilege.






True worshiper of the Motive Force 
   
Made in jp
Ship's Officer






The Land of the Rising Sun

 AduroT wrote:
 Miguelsan wrote:
Chikout wrote:
Now would be a really good time to address some of the pricing imbalances in the international markets. Start collecting boxes already cost the equivalent of more than £80 here in Japan. Do they really need to make them cost even more?


Yes, it's a fact that in Japan everybody is swimming in big money. It's only fair that we pay a 60% extra to our GW overlords.

M.


Oh I know y’all are loaded over there. It’s kind of gotten to be a thing at the FLGS where foreign visitors have been leaving one of their local bills behind to be tacked to the wall behind the register. They’re mostly all 5 and under, plus one 10. The Japanese note? 1000. Fancy schmancy big spenders.


We even have 10,000 ones!

M.

Jenkins: You don't have jurisdiction here!
Smith Jamison: We aren't here, which means when we open up on you and shred your bodies with automatic fire then this will never have happened.

Raxmei wrote:24ps is the range. 24". If that were the points cost then lasguns and plasma guns would cost the same amount and flamers would have a cost of "Souffle".

Every year Golden Week Tournament at www.nagoyahammer.com 
   
Made in it
Been Around the Block





March 29 is when Brexit will hit (with all the uncertainty around it, whether it will be hard-, soft- or will not happen at all).
Like it or not, but GW is UK-based and such an event inevitably has an impact on its financials.

6000 pts
3300 pts 
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader




Heh. Given how small and numerous they are, .20+ per pot is a pretty hefty increase to the price of GW paints. I know I spent upwards of $150 filling in the holes/refreshing the commonly used paints in my paint collection last year. Now I have to ponder if it'd be worth doing again, or running down other paint lines.

A rise on start collecting is pretty terrible, too. I've picked up several for my current army project, at 5 or 10 pounds more (which probably means a rise from 85 to 100 dollars), that's a clear discouragement from buying them.

Now I'm worried about the prices for the new stuff this year.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Enginseer with a Wrench




UK

 Aenar wrote:
March 29 is when Brexit will hit (with all the uncertainty around it, whether it will be hard-, soft- or will not happen at all).
Like it or not, but GW is UK-based and such an event inevitably has an impact on its financials.


The effect has been positive for them so far, due to their sales being over 70% overseas. Unless the lack of uncertainty when it happens strengthens the GBP (which is reasonably likely to be fair) then they'll be creaming even more in with their $1 to £1 swap.

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in gb
Cosmic Joe





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Really? A price rise?


Must be a day ending in a "y"...



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die." 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




This doesn’t bode well for pricing in general going forward. $100 Start Collecting sets means I won’t be buying anymore of them.
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka




The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".  
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





is it confirmed 15$ hike?
   
Made in us
Krazed Killa Kan






Mr.Church13 wrote:
I wouldn’t be nearly as perturbed at a paint cost raise if they would change to a better pot.

We all pretty much know that GW paint is designed to dry out and now they want more for the privilege.


Exactly, Absolutely the worst designed paint pot I've ever seen and also basically the most expensive per oz paint. People have a leg to stand on when defending GW on their paint quality and color range vs cost but I don't think ive ever heard anybody justify the design choices inherent in their pots.

Price increase of the Start Collecting boxes I think is going to price some people out of starting the hobby or starting new armies while not everyone getting into the hobby wants to buy the various renditions of the "Employee of the Month Marines" vs the "Should of Called in Sick Marines". Not sure GW understands the psychological perspective that throwing on a 3rd digit to the price will have to American consumers (if it goes that high but 10£ probably means at least 15+ in freedom money). $100 vs $85 is a big deal in the minds of a lot of people which I wouldn't be surprised if it negatively impacts sales more than it helps boost profit margins.

"Hold my shoota, I'm goin in"
Armies (7th edition points)
7000+ Points Death Skullz
4000 Points
+ + 3000 Points "The Fiery Heart of the Emperor"
3500 Points "Void Kraken" Space Marines
3000 Points "Bard's Booze Cruise" 
   
Made in si
Camouflaged Zero






The most expensive miniature paints per ml becoming even more expensive...nice. Gakky price with gakky pots.
Pretty rubbish product. The competition is way ahead.

There's nothing special about the GW paints except the price.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/01/05 03:29:19


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: