Switch Theme:

In a perfect world, what faction would you add to 40k?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in eu
Dakka Veteran




What I mean by perfect world in this case is a scenario where every current faction in the game already got updated, especially regarding models. So completely revamped eldar, imperial guard, no more finecast anywhere etc.
I'd consider this a condition that has to be met first, before any brand new faction would be added to the game. Also, let's just ignore for a second that this scenario either won't happen ever, or if it were to happen, it would be many years down the line probably. This is just a hypothetical question after all.

So, in that hypothetical scenario: what faction would you add to 40k if it were up to you?

For me it's hard to pick a favourite, but I have a ranking of 3 possible factions to be added to the roster:

1. Dark Mechanicum
2. Traitor Guard/Renegades and Heretics
3. Exodites

Why those and not some completely new faction like a brand new Xenos race? Because those three have existed for a very long time in the lore and have had some sporadic model releases over the years, I'd much more like to see those factions fleshed out than adding something completely new.





   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Emperor's Children.
Imperial Agents.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

Squats.
They've existed since day 1 and, unlike the Exodites, they actually had models & an actual army.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Codex Tau empire, they have a lot of alien allies so much like GSC was an augment to tyranids and a standalone codex make a bunch of neat alien races and civilizations that the Tau have brought into the empire. Make some actually good at close combat and make it so the books compliment each other well. Bonus points if they make it so allying they actually keep their sept and other bonuses and somehow actually gain a buff for allying

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
One Canoptek Scarab in a Swarm





I'd add Dark Mechanicum, but would rather there be rules for Dark Mechanicum, Traitor Guard, and CSM in the same book.

Setek: "My people shackled the stars, and broke mortality when the species you sprang from had barely left the slime pools it spawned in. Our wars burned reality, and the dominion of our kings is without limit. The ground you tread on is not yours; it is ours. "

Ahriman: "The Necrontyr; the sleeping ones"

Setek: "That name is not ours. Why give a name to totality?" 
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker






Instead of additions here are my two:

Traitor Guard / Renegades & Heretics taken off of Legends Status. The most common forces the Imperium faces are worlds that revolt and turn traitor so it's surprising the faction doesn't exist on the tabletop.

Tau Auxillary existing and getting new models again. It would be great to see something besides Battlesuits and some of the lesser known Xenos races that ally with the Tau. It would also allow their army to branch out and have different playstyles.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Just give us the IA13 list back, then fix the demagogue devotions up a bit so that a propper darkmech army is possible. (which is addmittedly not much only really more access to the newer Daemonengines if need be.)

There Traitorguard / Renegades AND Dark mech done.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/26 15:39:30


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in at
Dakka Veteran




 The Red Hobbit wrote:
Instead of additions here are my two:

Traitor Guard / Renegades & Heretics taken off of Legends Status. The most common forces the Imperium faces are worlds that revolt and turn traitor so it's surprising the faction doesn't exist on the tabletop.

Tau Auxillary existing and getting new models again. It would be great to see something besides Battlesuits and some of the lesser known Xenos races that ally with the Tau. It would also allow their army to branch out and have different playstyles.


Maybe I should have specified more. In a perfect world the tau would be properly fleshed out with proper model support for auxiliaries.

Traitor guard I'd consider a new faction though because they never had a truly major model or codex release.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Not Online!!! wrote:
Just give us the IA13 list back, then fix the demagogue devotions up a bit so that a propper darkmech army is possible. (which is addmittedly not much only really more access to the newer Daemonengines if need be.)

There Traitorguard / Renegades AND Dark mech done.


This would be better than what we currently have, but I'd prefer it to be a GW product.

GW is already expensive. Forgeworld is more expensive. I've never bought anything from them, though they do have some very, very tempting products. I also find GW to be more accessible- you can buy it off a shelf in a store, even at a FLGS. This would also increase the odds that we get new plastic to go with it, which would be great.
   
Made in au
Repentia Mistress




Kroot.

Codex: Kroot

I know at least one person who'd be excited by that.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Beaverton OR

I'd have to say Squats.

In fantasy my favorite race is the Dwarves, so it's kind of a no-brainer to add back in space-dwarves!
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

PenitentJake wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Just give us the IA13 list back, then fix the demagogue devotions up a bit so that a propper darkmech army is possible. (which is addmittedly not much only really more access to the newer Daemonengines if need be.)

There Traitorguard / Renegades AND Dark mech done.


This would be better than what we currently have, but I'd prefer it to be a GW product.

GW is already expensive. Forgeworld is more expensive. I've never bought anything from them, though they do have some very, very tempting products. I also find GW to be more accessible- you can buy it off a shelf in a store, even at a FLGS. This would also increase the odds that we get new plastic to go with it, which would be great.


1) FW is GW.
2) YOU"RE ONLINE! Forgeworld is a click away, 24/7. It doesn't get more accessible. Ok, yes, there's a few days of shipping time. But that's still faster than if you go to your local shop & find x is out of stock
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Codex: Homo Novus

The enhanced humans engineered by Fabius.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/26 17:37:45


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

ccs wrote:
PenitentJake wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Just give us the IA13 list back, then fix the demagogue devotions up a bit so that a propper darkmech army is possible. (which is addmittedly not much only really more access to the newer Daemonengines if need be.)

There Traitorguard / Renegades AND Dark mech done.


This would be better than what we currently have, but I'd prefer it to be a GW product.

GW is already expensive. Forgeworld is more expensive. I've never bought anything from them, though they do have some very, very tempting products. I also find GW to be more accessible- you can buy it off a shelf in a store, even at a FLGS. This would also increase the odds that we get new plastic to go with it, which would be great.


1) FW is GW.
2) YOU"RE ONLINE! Forgeworld is a click away, 24/7. It doesn't get more accessible. Ok, yes, there's a few days of shipping time. But that's still faster than if you go to your local shop & find x is out of stock


I don't think the contention is about FW being ostensibly a different company; it's about FW being 2-3x more expensive than GW's plastics, frequent QC issues that require scrutinizing every package you get, wildly unpredictable stock and products discontinued at random, and a near-certainty that your expensive models will lose rules support sooner or later (potentially after a few years of the rules being completely phoned in).

Anyways, I'd like to see the Tau Empire split into two factions- one for just Tau, and another for just auxiliaries. That way GW could continue to support the battlesuit flanderization of the Tau themselves but also give some life to the Kroot, Vespids, Demiurg, Gue'vesa, and Nicassar, and allow them to be fielded together the way GSC can ally with Tyranids.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space Seraphon.

Literally lizardmen in space. Give them some crazy crystal-style weaponry and some space suits and otherworldly machines as vehicles. There was a great army conversion a while back of someone combining Necron and Lizardmen bits together, and it was fantastic. Would add some extra Xenos flavor into the world of Warhammer.
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard



UK

ccs wrote:
Squats.
They've existed since day 1 and, unlike the Exodites, they actually had models & an actual army.


This, you could have some really cool mech suits and tanks and a return of attack bikes.

   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Possibly a bit of bias in these, as I've made minis of some of them...

But I'd go for some Chaos-worshipping Xenos like the Saruthi or the Rak'Gol. We can have some real odd stuff out there that has easy cross pollination with other lines. Really amp up the non-anthropomorphic ones, like a race of molluscs or cephalopods. What would they pile high in the name of Khorne?
Chaos should be insidious and all-reaching, yet we only see CSMs represented and none of the untold billions of the Lost and the Damned from all species across the galaxy.

Speaking of cross-pollination: Enslavers. All they need for their "faction" is a single datasheet, which allows you to take them as a HQ for any army that they have enslaved (just like how they worked in the 3rd ed Creature Feature).

But seriously, more xenos. The Tau allies have been mentioned, but what about loads of mini empires that were kept in check prior to the rift opening up? You're not telling me the Bargeshi haven't made a move during all this fustercluck whilst the SM chapters responsible for keeping them contained are distracted and/or ravaged by the single greatest catastrophe the galaxy has seen in ten millennia?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/26 18:26:15




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot





Lost and Damned. That's about all I feel the game really 'needs'. At a push maybe Dark Mechanicum.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 catbarf wrote:
ccs wrote:
PenitentJake wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Just give us the IA13 list back, then fix the demagogue devotions up a bit so that a propper darkmech army is possible. (which is addmittedly not much only really more access to the newer Daemonengines if need be.)

There Traitorguard / Renegades AND Dark mech done.


This would be better than what we currently have, but I'd prefer it to be a GW product.

GW is already expensive. Forgeworld is more expensive. I've never bought anything from them, though they do have some very, very tempting products. I also find GW to be more accessible- you can buy it off a shelf in a store, even at a FLGS. This would also increase the odds that we get new plastic to go with it, which would be great.


1) FW is GW.
2) YOU"RE ONLINE! Forgeworld is a click away, 24/7. It doesn't get more accessible. Ok, yes, there's a few days of shipping time. But that's still faster than if you go to your local shop & find x is out of stock


I don't think the contention is about FW being ostensibly a different company; it's about FW being 2-3x more expensive than GW's plastics, frequent QC issues that require scrutinizing every package you get, wildly unpredictable stock and products discontinued at random, and a near-certainty that your expensive models will lose rules support sooner or later (potentially after a few years of the rules being completely phoned in).

Anyways, I'd like to see the Tau Empire split into two factions- one for just Tau, and another for just auxiliaries. That way GW could continue to support the battlesuit flanderization of the Tau themselves but also give some life to the Kroot, Vespids, Demiurg, Gue'vesa, and Nicassar, and allow them to be fielded together the way GSC can ally with Tyranids.


Why do you think i stated the "LIST" not the models.
The models were great, but frankly when DKoK can be done in plastic, they too can be done in plastic, and GW can even sell us upgrade sprues for the differing Demagogues!

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker






Tiberias wrote:
Traitor guard I'd consider a new faction though because they never had a truly major model or codex release.

When it comes to Model Releases Blackstone Fortress came with a squad of beautifully made plastic Traitor Guard which were later rereleased as stand-alone kits although they are not in stock anymore. They also had a Traitor Commisar and Plague Ogryn. Slap some spiky bits on a Leman Russ and now you're got an official GW Traitor Guard patrol, all it needs is a Codex support.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/26 19:47:55


 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






Definitely Renegades & Heretics. I would love to make a Blood Pact army.
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Renegades and Heretics, though I'd want to differentiate it significantly from IG and focus more on the culty aspects of human worshippers of chaos. If R&H isn't at least as different from the Guard as GSC are then it's a pointless addition.
   
Made in it
Gargantuan Gargant




Italy

Mixed race space pirates. Basically humans, orks and elves who aren't aligned to chaos, imperium or other flags. Not necessarily with a Mad Max vibe with ramshackle vehicles, they can even be quite advanced in technology but with some degrees as they'd still come in gangs, not empires.

I'd settle with a full human new faction, as long as they aren't aligned to chaos or imperium.


 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Dark Mechanicum 100%.

They’re pretty much the powerhouse of Chaos.

Without them? No Daemon Engines. No Daemon Weapons. No supply lines. No war gear.

Plus, when you stop and consider the horrors sanctioned by The Adeptus Mechanicus, and of course it’s forebear the Mechanicum? I’m intrigued to see the outright horrors that get you kicked out and declared Heretek beyond fiddling with Abominable Intelligence.

Quick primer? During the Great Crusade, Thallaxi (a divergent Power Armour programme) were essentially Robocop 2. The brain, eyes and central nervous system hooked up to a chassis. The rest of the body discarded, and by no means comprised of volunteers. And that was the people they treated well

The frontline chaffe were of course Tech Thralls. You might consider them as precursors to Skitarii. And you’d be wrong. Tech Thralls were just people like you and I, with a control helm bolted onto and into our brain. Tech Thralls have no control over their bodies, at all. But the subject is otherwise fully conscious. Nevermind the crucibles you’re thrown into, how terrifying and inhuman must it feel to be fully *there*, but with no choice in the matter?

Give me Dark Mechanicum. Give them to me now, dammit.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




I would add Lost and Damned (so a mix of Imperial cults, renegade guards and Dark Mechanicus). That's severely lacking at the moment. The rest is just Icing on the cake and I'd rather see Xenos getting updates and upgrades comparable to that the Necrons and the Orks have received.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 Arachnofiend wrote:
Renegades and Heretics, though I'd want to differentiate it significantly from IG and focus more on the culty aspects of human worshippers of chaos. If R&H isn't at least as different from the Guard as GSC are then it's a pointless addition.


You can Run gsc for that though.
Spoiler:
(indeed i have a whole project running in my p&m blog for it)


And r&h was diffrent enough from guard already when we still had a list worth it's pricetag..

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/26 21:21:18


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





I would suggest to reduce codex bloat first before introducing more factions. First step would be to create a single SM codex.
   
Made in gb
Utilizing Careful Highlighting




U.k

I would get rid of old marines and tau to make room for space rats and traitor guard/admech. And squats. Bring them back.
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





Why Tau though?
I can, kinda , understand getting rid of oldmarines. I still think it would be a Bad move, alas.
But tau?
No i don't think so, indeed even SM oldmarines i don't think so.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Gore-Soaked Lunatic Witchhunter







In a perfect world I'd stop adding things to 40k until all the twenty-year-old resin minis and out-of-scale plastics got replaced, and the armies with tiny ranges of minis got finished. Guardsmen, most of the Eldar range, everyone's vehicles, Stealthsuits, making Daemons into a real army, and DE elite/specialist units spring to mind. Then I might try doing the Inquisition properly.

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using.
Homebrew oldhammer project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/790996.page#10896267
Meridian: Necromunda-based 40k skirmish: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/795374.page 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: