Switch Theme:

Cutting Down Gaming Mats  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Do you cut down your gaming mats for 9th edition?
I have more than 1 mat, and cut down at least one.
I have 1 mat and cut it down.
I have more than 1 mat, and did not cut any down.
I have 1 mat and did not cut it down.
I don't own any mats, but would cut them down.
I don't own any mats, but wouldn't cut them down.

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Preacher of the Emperor





St. Louis, Missouri USA

The other recent post https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/802803.page discussing table sizes made me wonder how many people actually cut down their mats.

I have some friends that cut theirs, and others that use tape to mark it off. I was wondering what the community at large does.

 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

6x4, not cut.

Play on the full size unless the mission would be actually impacted. I think the only time we did block off parts was for a game where one of the objectives was to get units off your opponent’s edge. The only time where the situation warranted bothering to adjust the size.

   
Made in gb
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential




dorset

even if you did insist on playing on the "regulation" size, i think you shouldn't cut down a board, just mark out the new size and play on that with an extended "shelf" around it. i cant think of a single reason to cut down a perfectly good game mat, especially since GW can just push the board size back up anytime they want to.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.
"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Exporitor force kappa-Tercia 500pts Coven of XVth 1000pts
Western Host 1500 pts Watch Company Rho 1000pts
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

xerxeskingofking wrote:
even if you did insist on playing on the "regulation" size, i think you shouldn't cut down a board, just mark out the new size and play on that with an extended "shelf" around it. i cant think of a single reason to cut down a perfectly good game mat, especially since GW can just push the board size back up anytime they want to.


I could see cutting it down if it makes a difference if it fits on your table or not. Playing with the edges hanging off is not the best.

I bought a pair of folding tables to put my mat on, so not an issue for me.

   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut






I prefer playing on larger boards anyway. Wouldn't cut any of mine unless both parts would fit some purpose, which isn't happening, so no.

#ConvertEverything blog with loyalist Death Guard in true and Epic scales. Also Titans and killer robots! C&C welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717557.page 
   
Made in gb
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential




dorset

 Nevelon wrote:
xerxeskingofking wrote:
even if you did insist on playing on the "regulation" size, i think you shouldn't cut down a board, just mark out the new size and play on that with an extended "shelf" around it. i cant think of a single reason to cut down a perfectly good game mat, especially since GW can just push the board size back up anytime they want to.


I could see cutting it down if it makes a difference if it fits on your table or not. Playing with the edges hanging off is not the best.

I bought a pair of folding tables to put my mat on, so not an issue for me.


oh, aggreed, i happen to play mainly 1k games on the "regulation" mat size for that, but thats becuase i;ve been playing at the house of the only 40k mate i have, where we dont have space for a bigger game size or map.

but i dont consider that to be "cutting down", just starting small. i 100% do not believe that you should take a hacksaw or scissors to your pre-existing mat. at best, just mark the smaller size and play on that subsection. like i said, in a few years GW might decided with the launch of 10th ed to "listen to the fans" and go back to 6x4.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.
"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Exporitor force kappa-Tercia 500pts Coven of XVth 1000pts
Western Host 1500 pts Watch Company Rho 1000pts
 
   
Made in us
Gore-Soaked Lunatic Witchhunter







I don't play 9th, even if I did I wouldn't be playing exclusively 9th, and even if I was "recommended minimum table size" does not equal "all people must play on only this table size from now until we change our minds again and they have to buy new mats."

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using.
Homebrew oldhammer project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/790996.page#10896267
Meridian: Necromunda-based 40k skirmish: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/795374.page 
   
Made in it
Waaagh! Ork Warboss




Italy

The point of playing with smaller mats at home is to fit tables sizes. If the larger mat already fits there's no need to cut it, just put impassible terrain on the areas that need to be cut or even some tape if you want to reduce the size to the current minimum of 60'' x 44''. But don't ruin the mat.

 
   
Made in eu
Regular Dakkanaut






Personally, I don't really get the whole mat thing. I got back to playing occasionally some time ago, but haven't actually seen one in the flesh yet. And before, I don't think that they actually existed. And besides, I prefer a more three-dimensional look to things.

But, if I were to have one, I certainly wouldn't be cutting it down just like I'm not cutting down my current game table structure. It's just not worth the effort and is so incredibly limiting. There after all are countless other games in the world and GW isn't exactly known for being very steady in their course (except for the one towards ever more bloat).

   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 Blackie wrote:
The point of playing with smaller mats at home is to fit tables sizes. If the larger mat already fits there's no need to cut it, just put impassible terrain on the areas that need to be cut or even some tape if you want to reduce the size to the current minimum of 60'' x 44''. But don't ruin the mat.


This. We use black/yellow hazard to tape off mats, as it fits the look. Otherwise use barricades and rocks to block off extra space.

If you cut it yourself, there is a chance to ruin the edges, which then causes them to unravel. I'd rather buy a 60x44 mat directly and try to sell the old one.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dolnikan wrote:
Personally, I don't really get the whole mat thing. I got back to playing occasionally some time ago, but haven't actually seen one in the flesh yet. And before, I don't think that they actually existed. And besides, I prefer a more three-dimensional look to things.


The reason for mats is mostly storage space and ease of transport.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/19 08:43:01


Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in de
Experienced Maneater






Cutting down gaming mats and even scratchbuild gaming tables for GW games seems insane to me. Next edition, they could go to: minimum table size 40x64 or whatever it is; recommended table size 6x4
I continue to play AoS on 6x4 as it works way better than the smaller size, I also play games that require 4x4, 3x3 and 2x2. I can just measure out the field size and put terrain there? They tend to be objective or cover based anyway, so why would I ever wander out in the open?


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 deviantduck wrote:
I was wondering what the community at large does.
I have 10 mats. Two of them are 4x4s. The rest are 6x4s.

The thought of cutting them down is pure lunacy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/19 09:08:10


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in fi
5th God of Chaos (O'rly?)





Nah. Not going to make my gaming worse just for other people's money making system. And eventually gw changes minimum size anyway.

Also 6'x4' is just as recommended by GW as 60x44. One is just MINIMUM.

And playtesting wasn't even involved on which was better. Smaller was fiat accomplish and zero input from playtesting taken. Which isn't surprising since it was sales dictated decision. In short: ££££££££ for GW.

Well...I'm not running tournaments where I need to cram more players to room for more profit so the only reason for smaller boards that makes sense doesn't apply to me.

2022 painted/bought: 227/322 
   
Made in us
Mekboy on Kustom Deth Kopta






I chose to draw the new size on mats with various colored sharpies as close to the matt primary colors as i could get. measured several times, taped off just the outside with masking tape to get it square and then drew the inner size. measure objectives and all through the new board size but people can move to use the whole matt once the battle starts

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba




New Jersey, State of Perfection

I own over 30 mats, all but 1 are 6x4 (the other one is 4x4). I would never dream of cutting them, and I think anyone who would is some shade of psychopath. GW could reverse course on table sizes at any time, rendering cut down mats useless. Besides that, most games have not embraced the lunacy of GWs arbitrary table sizes, as such my 6x4 mats give me the most utility in terms of playing other games. As I prefer playing 40k and AoS on 6x4, I am content to leave my mats as-is, but some of my friends prefer to play "by the book" as it were, in which case I bought the FLG conversion kit to overlay my 6x4 mats and temporarily convert them into the 60x44 standard.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/19 13:22:33


This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






tneva82 wrote:
And playtesting wasn't even involved on which was better. Smaller was fiat accomplish and zero input from playtesting taken.


This is false. Multiple playtesters have talked about the smaller boards and their impact on melee before 9th was released.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in ca
Charing Cold One Knight





Have multiple sized mats and haven't cut any down. There are more games than Warhammer that use different sizes.
   
Made in eu
Regular Dakkanaut






 Jidmah wrote:
 Blackie wrote:
T
 Dolnikan wrote:
Personally, I don't really get the whole mat thing. I got back to playing occasionally some time ago, but haven't actually seen one in the flesh yet. And before, I don't think that they actually existed. And besides, I prefer a more three-dimensional look to things.


The reason for mats is mostly storage space and ease of transport.


Ah, so they're just a simple solution to have a basic surface then. That makes sense. And I have to be honest, my setup is good for storage (there is space under the bed for instance) but it's not something I would just take over to a friend's place. Not when also transporting anything else at all.

   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba




New Jersey, State of Perfection

Yeah, pretty sure playtesters were aware, seem to recall Reece of FLG discussing that they had playtested the smaller game sizes extensively and were in favor of them. They also announced preorders for GW sized versions of their playmats within a few days of GW disclosing the new table sizes (which I remember because it seemed unethical/a conflict of interest on their/GWs part to give them preferential treatment/access to this information which they could then immediately spin to their own financial gain).

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus






i'd never cut my mats for the simple reason that 40k isnt the only game i play.

40k (44x60)
GrimdarkFuture (6x4)
Infinity (4x4)
Warfleet FTL (6x4)

yeah, i don't care abuot 40k enough to affect the other games i play
   
Made in de
Witch Hunter in the Shadows



Aachen

one of the guys at our club just made spacers we put on our 4x6 tables and mats on demand, turning them into 44x60 tables - works great as our tables all have a frame to keep stuff from rolling off of the table.

-> no mats where harmed in the process ;-)
   
Made in ca
Enginseer with a Wrench






nekooni wrote:
one of the guys at our club just made spacers we put on our 4x6 tables and mats on demand, turning them into 44x60 tables - works great as our tables all have a frame to keep stuff from rolling off of the table.

-> no mats where harmed in the process ;-)


Same with mine. Seems to be the best solution.
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




 deviantduck wrote:
The other recent post https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/802803.page discussing table sizes made me wonder how many people actually cut down their mats.

I have some friends that cut theirs, and others that use tape to mark it off. I was wondering what the community at large does.


Painter's tape works fine. Especially considering I still need the full 6' for legion.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Jidmah wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
And playtesting wasn't even involved on which was better. Smaller was fiat accomplish and zero input from playtesting taken.


This is false. Multiple playtesters have talked about the smaller boards and their impact on melee before 9th was released.


Yeah, even I remember multiple playtesters talking about the smaller size.

Anecdotally, I prefer the smaller size because you always seemed to end up with a 6" strip along the edges that was totally empty anyway.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/01/19 21:12:18


2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in de
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle




It's just a random recommendation I don't even follow. Also, I'm using the map for 4 different gaming systems and only 40K now suggests that smaller size (it's not even a rule). We also don't care about tournaments so all in all there's really no reason to damage my map.
   
Made in us
Heroic Senior Officer





Western Kentucky

Im not a fan of the smaller tables and play multiple different games, so Im in no rush to cut down mats. Painters tape fixes the issue in about 30 seconds anyways.

I hope we go back to 6x4 personally. The table feels way too cramped for armies like IG, orks and nids. I can get where more elite armies dont mind but if GW is gonna insist on these bigger armies we need bigger tables to compensate in my opinion. If I bring an infantry heavy guard army I can have issues fitting everything in with certain terrain setups.

'I've played Guard for years, and the best piece of advice is to always utilize the Guard's best special rule: "we roll more dice than you" ' - stormleader

"Sector Imperialis: 25mm and 40mm Round Bases (40+20) 26€ (Including 32 skulls for basing) " GW design philosophy in a nutshell  
   
Made in us
Mekboy on Kustom Deth Kopta






 MrMoustaffa wrote:
Im not a fan of the smaller tables and play multiple different games, so Im in no rush to cut down mats. Painters tape fixes the issue in about 30 seconds anyways.

I hope we go back to 6x4 personally. The table feels way too cramped for armies like IG, orks and nids. I can get where more elite armies dont mind but if GW is gonna insist on these bigger armies we need bigger tables to compensate in my opinion. If I bring an infantry heavy guard army I can have issues fitting everything in with certain terrain setups.


as an ork an sometimes nid player i would disagree, smaller tabels means less death trying to reach assaults as the opponent castles up across the table shooting. Granted the new scoring system helps a lot there, no more the just hold objectives at the end of the game. in 7th is was *put orks down* everythign ihad was shot of fthe table turn 2 then the opponent walked up to hold all the objectives (it does not help that 7th edition ork codex is in the running for worst codex gw ever made and even most hardcore ork players stopped playing orks)

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in fi
5th God of Chaos (O'rly?)





 G00fySmiley wrote:
 MrMoustaffa wrote:
Im not a fan of the smaller tables and play multiple different games, so Im in no rush to cut down mats. Painters tape fixes the issue in about 30 seconds anyways.

I hope we go back to 6x4 personally. The table feels way too cramped for armies like IG, orks and nids. I can get where more elite armies dont mind but if GW is gonna insist on these bigger armies we need bigger tables to compensate in my opinion. If I bring an infantry heavy guard army I can have issues fitting everything in with certain terrain setups.


as an ork an sometimes nid player i would disagree, smaller tabels means less death trying to reach assaults as the opponent castles up across the table shooting. Granted the new scoring system helps a lot there, no more the just hold objectives at the end of the game. in 7th is was *put orks down* everythign ihad was shot of fthe table turn 2 then the opponent walked up to hold all the objectives (it does not help that 7th edition ork codex is in the running for worst codex gw ever made and even most hardcore ork players stopped playing orks)


You have same distance to enemy DZ anyway. And if opponent wants to deploy on his backlines...congrats. You just won. a) he won't be in objectives b) he won't be able to shoot anything(you DO have tables covered properly? Deploying on back edge and able to shoot at will should be impossible without LOS ignoring weapons).

2022 painted/bought: 227/322 
   
Made in ca
Deranged Necron Destroyer






Personally, we're really enjoying the 30"x44" size for Combat Patrol games.

Girl Gamers are the best! 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




I have a couple of mats that I bought last edition. I haven't cut them down. We've played some smaller games on a couple of kill team boards but anything 1000 points has been 4x4 and anything larger will be on 6x4. I'm not sure why you'd play on a smaller board if you had a choice. We have played 2000 point games during 4th-6th edition on an 8x5. I'd be doing the same now if it were still practical.
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader





I have a realm of battle sector imperialis so I won't be cutting that down. I like necromunda on 4x4 and still use 6x4 for 30k games. I will probably do something with the paint job to mark off a 60x44 playing area
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: