Switch Theme:

The Dakkadakka White Whale Thread.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

None of my 2nd Ed books have fallen apart, and I used 'em a lot!

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






My 2nd Ed books have held up well. Can't say the same for RT/3rd Ed WHFB/Warhammer Armies. 3rd Ed 40K also needed to have the cover reattached more than once. Realms of Chaos books were treated with love, so they endure, despite being of the same "spit n' prayers" pedigree as the first books.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






Oh yeah, my 3rd ed BRB is almost in as bad of shape as my hardback Rogue Trader. The 2nd ed books are all in pretty good shape.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Insectum7 wrote:
Oh yeah, my 3rd ed BRB is almost in as bad of shape as my hardback Rogue Trader. The 2nd ed books are all in pretty good shape.


Oh my 3rd ed BRB is destroyed. It's a collection of almost loose leaf pages, held together by a few remaing threads + 2 rubber bands with no covers.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

My original 3rd ed rulebook popped its binding within a week of buying it. Given how widespread the complaints were at the time, rather than wasting time getting it replaced I just pulled it apart and put it in a ring binder.

Picked up another from eBay a couple of years ago to have one on the shelf with the rest of the collection, and it was in surprisingly good condition.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/29 05:20:55


 
   
Made in de
Terrifying Doombull






Nuremberg

I recently got a 3e rulebook from a second hand bookseller, very reasonably priced and in really good condition.

I'd love to be able to get all the old books for reasonable prices, even as good quality PDFs. I know there are scans out there, but I'd be really happy to pay GW for high quality scans of old editions like WOTC does for D&D stuff.

   
Made in gb
Witch Hunter in the Shadows





 Da Boss wrote:
I'd love to be able to get all the old books for reasonable prices, even as good quality PDFs. I know there are scans out there, but I'd be really happy to pay GW for high quality scans of old editions like WOTC does for D&D stuff.
They do seem capable of converting them as they released clean PDFs of the witch hunters and daemonhunters books back during 5th edition, albeit edited to remove some of the content. It would suggest that the 4th and 5th books at least are not in some obscure unsupported format.
   
Made in au
Axis & Allies Player




Since I'm the one who sent this thread off the rails, I'll make a valiant effort to hoist the train out of the off-topic canyon by saying that the 4th (or 5th) ed WFB High Elf army book should be everyone's White Whale if they don't already have it. The background/history section in the front is just that good.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Zenithfleet wrote:
Since I'm the one who sent this thread off the rails, I'll make a valiant effort to hoist the train out of the off-topic canyon by saying that the 4th (or 5th) ed WFB High Elf army book should be everyone's White Whale if they don't already have it. The background/history section in the front is just that good.


I played a lot of WHFB in 5th edition (the one with the lizard/bret starter, pretty sure that’s 5th) and agree that the army books were great. Same design ethos as the 2nd edition codexes. Packed to the gills with art, lore, stories and pictures. I’ve got a number of them on the shelf. Worth having if you like the faction. Or even if you don’t for the read.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Mine are old Warzone models. The first is the Armorcast Bauhaus Grizzly. I never even knew it existed until well after the game died. One never turns up when I have the cash to spend on it though.

The other two are the scenario boxes they put out. The Venusian bridge and the Bauhaus bunker, with the cardboard terrain and models. I managed to find the brotherhood cathedral a while back for dirt cheap.
   
Made in us
Keeper of the Flame





Monticello, IN

Zenithfleet wrote:
Since I'm the one who sent this thread off the rails, I'll make a valiant effort to hoist the train out of the off-topic canyon by saying that the 4th (or 5th) ed WFB High Elf army book should be everyone's White Whale if they don't already have it. The background/history section in the front is just that good.


Eltharion's story in that book is my favorite bit of GW fiction

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

Veldrain wrote:
Mine are old Warzone models. The first is the Armorcast Bauhaus Grizzly. I never even knew it existed until well after the game died. One never turns up when I have the cash to spend on it though.

The other two are the scenario boxes they put out. The Venusian bridge and the Bauhaus bunker, with the cardboard terrain and models. I managed to find the brotherhood cathedral a while back for dirt cheap.


The rumor is the Grizzly's mold was dropped early on and only a few were made. Prodos (I think) did a new version of it a few years back if that interests you.

And of course there's the Japanese plastic model of Miyazaki's Bad Guy No. 1 which (ahem) 'inspired' it. They're not exact copies, BG1 is much longer, but have almost identical weapons and design.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/30 20:23:37


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
Veldrain wrote:
Mine are old Warzone models. The first is the Armorcast Bauhaus Grizzly. I never even knew it existed until well after the game died. One never turns up when I have the cash to spend on it though.

The other two are the scenario boxes they put out. The Venusian bridge and the Bauhaus bunker, with the cardboard terrain and models. I managed to find the brotherhood cathedral a while back for dirt cheap.


The rumor is the Grizzly's mold was dropped early on and only a few were made. Prodos (I think) did a new version of it a few years back if that interests you.

And of course there's the Japanese plastic model of Miyazaki's Bad Guy No. 1 which (ahem) 'inspired' it. They're not exact copies, BG1 is much longer, but have almost identical weapons and design.



Sadly the prodos version is a 'normal' size tank. Next to the Armorcast it looks like a baby version.
   
Made in gb
Fighter Ace




England

I have a couple.

I spent years looking for the metal spaced armour kit for the original Rhino, then won to sets in one week. Both cheap as they were stuck on two badly painted tanks.

A warmaster Titan for epic, the old fanatic alt emperor kit. Last one I saw sold for £500!

Armoured High elf archers, not the plastic ones from the 4th edition started the metal ones. They come up on eBay a lot, but for £25+ for a blister of two, making a regiment out of my league for now.

it's the quiet ones you have to look out for. Their the ones that change the world, the loud ones just take the credit for it. 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

It was the Brettonian 5th edition metal range in particular the foot squires and men-at-arms fortunately I got them before they started going for silly money..

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

This was a really good idea for a thread topic, and I've been mulling it over since the beginning as nothing leapt immediately to mind.

Then tonight is struck me, I've actually spent most of the Covid period whale hunting.

Guild Ball is probably amongst my all time favourite mini games, so news of Steamforged's termination of support was a real blow.

Those of us who decided we wanted to continue locally realised that it would probably be best to have plenty of options to spare to allow others to hopefully join in.

I took this, let's say, quite seriously...

So now I own nearly every faction, including any alternate sculpts I prefer, and I'm well on the way to having it all painted, as well as all the game aids necessary to lend them out completely without the other player needing anything other than some measuring widgets. If I was really pushed, I'd maybe prefer the resin Butchers Guild models instead of the metals I have, but that's just a nice to have.

So for now I guess the fleet is docked until the next hunting season.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/02 02:18:37


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in nl
Been Around the Block




The Forgeworld Mega Meganob

http://www.coolminiornot.com/328211


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/02 12:09:39


 
   
Made in jp
Crushing Black Templar Crusader Pilot





Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan

Oooh, non wargaming, but at the local hobby store when I remembered a probably almost 10-year-old hobby idea I had for a Gundam kitbash.
A reasonably sized Bv141. Scale not super important, so long as somehow I can stick it on a Zaku sucessor (geara zulu or a geara doga, either is fine) without it looking *too* wacky.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut






Thought of something else. Forgeworld Magma Dragon. Would struggle to find a use for it and I never liked the way it is holding a tree, but otherwise it is one of my favourite models GW or forgeworld has produced. OOP nowadays.

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
In my day, you didn't recognize the greatest heroes of humanity because they had to ride the biggest creatures or be massive in size themselves. No, they had the most magnificent facial hair! If it was good enough for Kurt Helborg and Ludwig Schwarzhelm, it should be good enough for anyone!
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Not quite a whale, but i've wanted another GW cardboard Ork dreadnaught standee to replace the one i had for ages but has since vanished

and i've just managed to get one in a pile of 40k/whfb oldhammer cardboard destined for the bin

couldn't let that happen as i'm sure somebody on the loot group will want them to complete box sets they have with the odd bit missing

(edit: sadly for H.B.M.C. there were none of the old cardboard buildings or terrain)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/11/04 18:15:13


 
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







Ilyad Vorag barbarians and Rackham metals are the whales I let slip between my fingers.

   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 NAVARRO wrote:
Ilyad Vorag barbarians and Rackham metals are the whales I let slip between my fingers.


Which Rackham metals? I haven't gotten to sorting/listing them yet, but I do have a good chunk of metal Rackham figs from Confrontation.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

About 20 years ago or so, some enterprising fella sculpted and sold Necron scorpion models that fit in with the design vision of the original metal necrons from 2nd/early 3rd edition. It was not an official model but it was cool to have back when necrons only had lord, immortal, destroyer and scarabs.

I had one once and ditched it in one of my frequent clear outs. I'd like to find one again and not pay insane amounts for it.

Thread Slayer 
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

Eldar battle fleet gothic, entire fleet

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






I would love to get my hands on a NIB first production run of the Sector Imperialis Realm of Battle Gameboard.

The first production run came in a nice black canvas carry bag and the tiles where level (sat flat) with crisp detail. Sadly, subsequent production runs came in a lame carboard box, muddled details and the tiles all warped (took on a bowl shape); a clear sign that the molds were shot and way overused. I bought one and it was defective, all six tiles horribly warped and unusable, GW replaced it and again, all six tiles horribly warped and unusable. I had to get my money back because they were unable to provide one that wasn't horribly defective. Not surprisingly, the product was removed from the GW webstore just a few weeks after this ordeal.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





So I may have jumped to a conclusion; the Pacific Rim Heroclix figures I ordered showed up, although missing two figures (the Cherno Alpha and the Striker Eureka) and having two doubles instead (the Gipsy Danger and the Coyote Tango). I noted this to the seller and they've sent out what I hope are the proper figures. In the meantime, my oldest noted that there was no Otachi included in the set. I check online and apparently no Otachi was ever made. They have a Scunner and a Raiju, and a Coyote Tango(!) but no Otachi? Also, Slattern is tiny, but still, NO OTACHI?
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






Another one would be the 6'x4' metal table frame that GW stores used for their game tables circa 2010.

I saw some pictures of an LGS's play area just last week, on Reddit IIRC, who was able to acquire some of them so I know GW sold them off.

Should I ever come across one I'll be sure to make the owner a very hard to refuse offer.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





If it was anything like past store closures they probably gave them away for free or threw them away.

DA70+S++G++M(GD)B+++I++++Pw40k96-D+++A++/mWD218R+++T(M)DM++ 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

 Nurglitch wrote:
So I may have jumped to a conclusion; the Pacific Rim Heroclix figures I ordered showed up, although missing two figures (the Cherno Alpha and the Striker Eureka) and having two doubles instead (the Gipsy Danger and the Coyote Tango). I noted this to the seller and they've sent out what I hope are the proper figures. In the meantime, my oldest noted that there was no Otachi included in the set. I check online and apparently no Otachi was ever made. They have a Scunner and a Raiju, and a Coyote Tango(!) but no Otachi? Also, Slattern is tiny, but still, NO OTACHI?


The two I wanted most were Mutavore and Otachi. But at least we got Coyote Tango….

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Mutavore would make more sense than Coyote Tango. I guess they had to have matching sides or something? I think I would have gone with the jagers, and then swap out Raiju and Scunner for Mutavore and Otachi. And made Slattern much bigger, like at least Leatherback's size.
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: