Switch Theme:

Age of Sigmar News & Rumors : Dec 2019 FAQS  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 Galas wrote:
I don't disagree with having monopose and then multipart. Thats why I always buy the monopose options at least once , to add variety to my forces.

But as you say, money is the problem here. Because they are charging you the same for less options. Multipart kits are not only a matter of more options in poses but also, normally, in weapons, etc...


Which isn't a factor with the existing chaos warriors at all. Those are old sprues with a ton of empty, wasted space consisting of nigh-identical bodies (including legs and heads) and a 'choice' of two weapons or shields that need to be jammed onto the sides of the model with green stuff and hope.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Multipose is overrated. The current chaos warriors and knights are multipose and it doesn't do them any good, because there is only a limited range where the posing makes sense next to the 'one size fits all' torso. By making monopose the entire body of the model can be posed so it fits with the positioning of the limbs, and the end result is dynamic poses that would look completely awkward otherwise.

Also, 10x different monoposes? Even in a 30-man unit that isn't going to be very apparent.

"Putting a statement in quotations makes it seem more legitimate."
--Bette R. Withname

Imagine three people with the same set of values but radically different emotional states, each of them believes their position is more valid than the other two, they all post using the same account, and your job is to make it coherent. 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





I think the option of both helmet and bare head for each Chaos Warrior helps, to an extent. Throw in potential weapon and shield swaps for anyone with a degree of modelling skill and you should be able to get enough variety out of the kit for as many Warriors as you would ever want or need.



Spoiler:



This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/04 16:41:50


Painting Warhammer 40,000 Conquest a P and M blog : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/763491.page 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






It's funny how derpy those heads look when taken put of the context of the larger miniature.

"Putting a statement in quotations makes it seem more legitimate."
--Bette R. Withname

Imagine three people with the same set of values but radically different emotional states, each of them believes their position is more valid than the other two, they all post using the same account, and your job is to make it coherent. 
   
Made in ca
Fireknife Shas'el






 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It's funny how derpy those heads look when taken put of the context of the larger miniature.


I kind of expect Chaos Warriors to have derpy faces, what with all the fighting and mutation.

   
Made in ca
Wondering Why the Emperor Left





Edmonton, AB

 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It's funny how derpy those heads look when taken put of the context of the larger miniature.


Especially the guy in the second row with the mono-horn. I'm sure he looks like a big savage rhino-brute when it's on a model, but he makes smile just as a head

EDIT: and I don't think I could resist turning the head in the bottom right into a Shovel Knight reference

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/04 17:13:43


Armies:
Killteams:

My Heresy Era Blog: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/656851.page

Hobby Painting Instagram: marcus_miniatures 
   
Made in gb
Poisonous Kroot Headhunter





I'm looking forward to mixing things up between different kits with the new knights, warriors and Warcry sprues. Plenty of scope for some unique and interesting looking models.

As a starting point I think the Iron Golems and Spire Tyrants in particular will benefit from some of the above head and weapon options.
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Jpogfreak886 wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It's funny how derpy those heads look when taken put of the context of the larger miniature.


Especially the guy in the second row with the mono-horn. I'm sure he looks like a big savage rhino-brute when it's on a model, but he makes smile just as a head

EDIT: and I don't think I could resist turning the head in the bottom right into a Shovel Knight reference

Nurgle has a fair number of models with 'mono-horns' especially Plaguebearers.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in ca
Wondering Why the Emperor Left





Edmonton, AB

 Ghaz wrote:
 Jpogfreak886 wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
It's funny how derpy those heads look when taken put of the context of the larger miniature.


Especially the guy in the second row with the mono-horn. I'm sure he looks like a big savage rhino-brute when it's on a model, but he makes smile just as a head

EDIT: and I don't think I could resist turning the head in the bottom right into a Shovel Knight reference

Nurgle has a fair number of models with 'mono-horns' especially Plaguebearers.


I'm sure that's what they were going for, but to me it just looks like an ice cream cone hit him in the forehead. I love it and I know it'll look great on the whole model, but as just a head it makes him look like a funny baby.

Wait! I know what it is! He looks like a thumb with a big pointed nail

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/04 19:42:08


Armies:
Killteams:

My Heresy Era Blog: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/656851.page

Hobby Painting Instagram: marcus_miniatures 
   
Made in au
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





Cronch wrote:
Multipart no longer means multipose though. Take Namarti thralls and reavers, one of the newer kits. Just about the only thing you can pick and mix are heads. Besides that you get to pick between two weapons for about 5 out of the 10 models in the box, so if you have 20 models, you've exhausted all the posing options.


This has been the trend easily for the last 5 years with new kits so people can't exactly be too surprised with it


"Courage and Honour. I hear you murmur these words in the mist, in their wake I hear your hearts beat harder with false conviction seeking to convince yourselves that a brave death has meaning. There is no courage to be found here my nephews, no honour to be had. Your souls will join the trillion others in the mist shrieking uselessly to eternity, weeping for the empire you could not save.

To the unfaithful, I bring holy plagues ripe with enlightenment. To the devout, I bring the blessing of immortality through the kiss of sacred rot. And to you, new-born sons of Gulliman, to you flesh crafted puppets of a failing Imperium I bring the holiest gift of all.... Silence."
- Mortarion, The Death Lord, Daemon Primarch of Nurgle


5000 | 2800 | 1700 | 3600 | 2100 | 550

 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







I for one think 10 significantly distinct monoposes give a more varied army than the classic 4 legs + 4 torsos deal that barely differ and realistically can only be rotated a few degrees at the waist, shoudlers and neck before they start looking like they need an ambulance.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Say that when your army has 100 of them.

   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Say that when your army has 100 of them.


That's 10 of each of 10 vastly different dudes - and they usually still have weapon and head swaps - compared to 25 copies of each chest and legs where the same pair will still come up 4 times each, with minor rotations, and have generally less distinct poses because every part needs to fit with every other part, and you end up with 100 marines that all look like they're trying to walk while holding in a poop, 50 of them left leg forward and 50 of them right leg forward, and only waiving their arms slightly differently to each other,.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

From War of Sigmar:

Spoiler:

It looks like the Ogroid Myrmidon will be in the Slaves to Darkness battletome.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Cool - the more non human Chaos worshippers the better - makes it more interesting for me

I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

 lord_blackfang wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Say that when your army has 100 of them.


That's 10 of each of 10 vastly different dudes - and they usually still have weapon and head swaps - compared to 25 copies of each chest and legs where the same pair will still come up 4 times each, with minor rotations, and have generally less distinct poses because every part needs to fit with every other part, and you end up with 100 marines that all look like they're trying to walk while holding in a poop, 50 of them left leg forward and 50 of them right leg forward, and only waiving their arms slightly differently to each other,.


All you are saying is actually true.

But what is also true is that our brain is wired to find patterns with great speed. That means to our eyes, those 10 exact same dudes will look much worse and be much more obvious than those 25 dudes that are just slighly different.

And as I said, I'm not opposed to modern plastic (Intercessors for example. 5 body posses but free arms, heads, weapon options, etc... those still allow for a ton of variety).

But that is not the same that this chaos warrior kit. Is the same difference from Shadowspear chaos marines and the multipart plastic kit.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in es
Longtime Dakkanaut





from sandlemad on tga information from twitch:

Spoiler:
Soooo the twitch preview of the Slaves to Darkness battletome just mentioned that each of the four StD subfactions has an associated short story written by none other than Aaron Dempski-Bowden, presumably on the model of the Josh Reynolds stories in the Cities of Sigmar battletome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/04 22:59:37


 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Say that when your army has 100 of them.

They will still look more unique than 100 of the bus-rider chaos warriors, all lined up and holding their suitcases, i mean shields, tight. At that size of units (i assume no one would actually field 10x10) they all look like blobs of whatever you painted them in anyway.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Savage Minotaur




Baltimore, Maryland

zamerion wrote:
from sandlemad on tga information from twitch:

Spoiler:
Soooo the twitch preview of the Slaves to Darkness battletome just mentioned that each of the four StD subfactions has an associated short story written by none other than Aaron Dempski-Bowden, presumably on the model of the Josh Reynolds stories in the Cities of Sigmar battletome.


Thats awesome. Hope we get more of ADB in the Mortal Realms.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/04 23:25:21


"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning." - The Emperor, from The Outcast Dead.
"Tell your gods we are coming for them, and that their realms will burn as ours did." -Thostos Bladestorm
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut






These chaos warriors and knights are pure greatness. Would be such a shame if they don't give us real multipart kits though

lost and damned log
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/519978.page#6525039 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Say that when your army has 100 of them.
2000 points spent on the same unit?

"Putting a statement in quotations makes it seem more legitimate."
--Bette R. Withname

Imagine three people with the same set of values but radically different emotional states, each of them believes their position is more valid than the other two, they all post using the same account, and your job is to make it coherent. 
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






JFC, is someone actually preferring the old chaos warriors over these? Those guys are not multipose, the basically have one pose and it is rather awkward looking.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Thunderhawk Pilot Dropping From Orbit






Across the Rubicon

I think the new models will mix in fine with the old ones. They are probably going to form the first rank or front of my Chaos Warriors units as they look far more like they are attacking while the rest of the formation is waiting their turn. I am more curious about the new knights since those are lances not glaives they are carrying.

I don't think the old Chaos Warriors are too bad. A little dated, but not too bad. Better than the old Chaos Space Marines were. I recently built mine (in the Spoiler) for AoS so I could mix things up a bit with them. I tried to personalize them all without going with too much effort. I think Cronch is correct that at certain point no matter how they are modeled, they start to blend into a blob. That's is just what is going to happen with a big crowd.

Spoiler:

I am still painting them as I have only had them about 3 weeks along with the rest of the beginnings of a S2D army

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/05 05:16:52


   
Made in fi
Stubborn Eternal Guard





 Crimson wrote:
JFC, is someone actually preferring the old chaos warriors over these? Those guys are not multipose, the basically have one pose and it is rather awkward looking.

If I played AoS, I'm not sure. I don't think I would want more than 20 of them; i.e. one duplicate for which it wouldn't be too difficult to have a conversion to conceal the fact that it is a duplicate.
For a small skirmish game, sure, I'd take the new ones any day of the week.
If I wanted to add them to a WHFB army, the old ones. They actually look like a disciplined unit, they won't have weird action poses when not near the enemy (i.e. in the back rank) and they can actually be ranked up of course.

I am definitely one of those people that would have rather have 40 slightly different models, than 10 very different models times 4. The similarity will just stand out like a sore thumb, especially with particularly dynamic poses.

Besides, the "slowly striding forwards" poses remind me of the initial glimpses of them in the Mark of Chaos trailer, and that alone makes them good.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
I am definitely one of those people that would have rather have 40 slightly different models, than 10 very different models times 4. The similarity will just stand out like a sore thumb, especially with particularly dynamic poses.
Good to see some people get what I'm talking about.

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Besides, the "slowly striding forwards" poses remind me of the initial glimpses of them in the Mark of Chaos trailer, and that alone makes them good.
That is exactly the image the Chaos Warrior kit summons for me.

I didn't understand how the big deal about Chaos Warriors until I saw that opening movie. I had just assumed that they were nothing more than humans in very good armour. I didn't realise they were huge and basically unstoppable for mere mortals.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




They actually look like a disciplined unit

As we all know, worshippers of mad gods of disorder are well known for their discipline and love of regulations
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

Cronch wrote:
They actually look like a disciplined unit

As we all know, worshippers of mad gods of disorder are well known for their discipline and love of regulations


Thats what I LOVED about Chaos Warriors. They aren't crazy barbarians. They are the Darth Vader of Chaos.

I love the new dynamic CW. But the old ones will always have a place in my earth, as others have pointed out, their pose, as limited as it was, worked perfetly for what they where trying to convey. The Mark of Chaos cinematic is just the cherry on top.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in es
Brutal Black Orc




Barcelona, Spain

 nels1031 wrote:
zamerion wrote:
from sandlemad on tga information from twitch:

Spoiler:
Soooo the twitch preview of the Slaves to Darkness battletome just mentioned that each of the four StD subfactions has an associated short story written by none other than Aaron Dempski-Bowden, presumably on the model of the Josh Reynolds stories in the Cities of Sigmar battletome.


Thats awesome. Hope we get more of ADB in the Mortal Realms.


Oh god no, please no. Keep him away.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




They aren't crazy barbarians

Some were. Some were imperial turncoats. Some were random people who sort of...oopsied into being chaos worshippers and then found out they have a hidden talent for slaughter.

However, most stories in Old World that I can recall (it's been a while), did have Chaos Warriors depicted as insanely individualistic, and simply further along the worship of chaos than the marauders from Norsca and the Wastes. They fought in groups, of course, but their individual prowess was almost always juxtaposed with their civilized opponents discipline and teamwork.

So in a way you are right, they were the Darth Vaders of Chaos, and we all know how good of a team player Vader was
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






If it were a matter of rank & file I would definitely go with the old ones. They ranked up so well, and looked so good when they did.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
I am definitely one of those people that would have rather have 40 slightly different models, than 10 very different models times 4. The similarity will just stand out like a sore thumb, especially with particularly dynamic poses.
Good to see some people get what I'm talking about.

 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Besides, the "slowly striding forwards" poses remind me of the initial glimpses of them in the Mark of Chaos trailer, and that alone makes them good.
That is exactly the image the Chaos Warrior kit summons for me.

I didn't understand how the big deal about Chaos Warriors until I saw that opening movie. I had just assumed that they were nothing more than humans in very good armour. I didn't realise they were huge and basically unstoppable for mere mortals.
Except the old 'multipose' kit isn't 40 slightly different poses. It's one pose, yet you prefer it over a kit with more posing (an entirely valid preference). It gets to the core of the matter: neither monopose or multipose are inherently good or bad. The wider context of what the poses are, what the kit looks like, what role the unit serves, the system the unit is in, and the fluff behind that unit all factor in.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/05 20:53:44


"Putting a statement in quotations makes it seem more legitimate."
--Bette R. Withname

Imagine three people with the same set of values but radically different emotional states, each of them believes their position is more valid than the other two, they all post using the same account, and your job is to make it coherent. 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: