Switch Theme:

Warhammer Quest: Cursed City - News and Rumours  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Cronch wrote:
Someone was selling the rules, boards and essentially everything but the figures for around 15 bucks online, so I decided that for that amount of money, i can give it a try. I have enough nighthaunts to easily stand in for all the undead and enough other models to use for heroes so it works out just fine.

That seems sensible to me.
   
Made in us
Dakar




Little Rock, AR

beast_gts wrote:
Two quick things:

Apparently GW though they had enough copies of Cursed City to last them 3-6 months, but they all sold out pretty much straight away.

Right now there is an unknown, serious problem with their warehouse - orders haven't gone out to FLGS or GW stores in the last few days, and some have been advised it'll be next week before they get stuff (so a lot of people won't be getting their pre-orders this weekend).

Days? Try months. My LGS is still waiting on those Blood Bowl starters and War Cry Alliance books. I know that distributors have typically given shops in the Southern US the shaft but this is a new level.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




My FLGS still has a pile of indomnitus boxes sitting around. I wonder whether the lack of communication regarding cursed city’s future is a courtesy to the FLGSs who feel burned by the glut of indomnitus generated by the post pre-order/pre-release MTO.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 legionaires wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Two quick things:

Apparently GW though they had enough copies of Cursed City to last them 3-6 months, but they all sold out pretty much straight away.

Right now there is an unknown, serious problem with their warehouse - orders haven't gone out to FLGS or GW stores in the last few days, and some have been advised it'll be next week before they get stuff (so a lot of people won't be getting their pre-orders this weekend).

Days? Try months. My LGS is still waiting on those Blood Bowl starters and War Cry Alliance books. I know that distributors have typically given shops in the Southern US the shaft but this is a new level.


This has been the story every time a box set sells out.

Looncurse, Carrion Empire, Sisters of Battle box set, Indomitus, the early Kill Team boxes. Every single time it's "We thought we made enough to last for months and months!"

So the question I would pose to GW is: When are you going to learn?

Whoever is in charge of projections needs a bonk on the head, because they've undershot every hot item. The only things that haven't been hot sellers in terms of box sets in recent memory are... Catacombs and Rise of the Phoenix, but both of those were at a higher price point than others of the same type. Everything else sells out immediately, GW throw up their hands and say "We THOUGHT we had enough!" and we're supposed to say, what, "Oh, gosh, GW, it's the thought that counts."???
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




drbored wrote:
 legionaires wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Two quick things:

Apparently GW though they had enough copies of Cursed City to last them 3-6 months, but they all sold out pretty much straight away.

Right now there is an unknown, serious problem with their warehouse - orders haven't gone out to FLGS or GW stores in the last few days, and some have been advised it'll be next week before they get stuff (so a lot of people won't be getting their pre-orders this weekend).

Days? Try months. My LGS is still waiting on those Blood Bowl starters and War Cry Alliance books. I know that distributors have typically given shops in the Southern US the shaft but this is a new level.


This has been the story every time a box set sells out.

Looncurse, Carrion Empire, Sisters of Battle box set, Indomitus, the early Kill Team boxes. Every single time it's "We thought we made enough to last for months and months!"

So the question I would pose to GW is: When are you going to learn?

I honestly don't think most of those examples are true. Not even vaguely true. GW has definitely never made any such claim about the Versus boxes like Looncurse and Carrion Empire- those are designed to push the new leader models and go, then the same models are released separately later. Same with the Sisters box (and Lumenith), though I've seen both on store shelves recently (though the sisters are now gone from that store).
The 'early Kill Team boxes,' depending on which you mean, were also temporary. Most were also bargains- a normal squad and a bit of terrain for less than the cost of both, or like the Versus boxes, designed to push a solo character like the GSC and AdMech ones, and fade away.

Indomitus... that's a special case. That had the spectre of too much backlash against the flagship game. They also bit the bullet and made good on the demand (probably at some extra cost that wasn't planned- no tears here, but I doubt their accountants were happy).
Cursed City is a different beast. The LGSs here are feeling burned and ghosted because those that ordered still got nothing (and that was true of Piety and Pain as well), and the GW rep waffled at them.


Whoever is in charge of projections needs a bonk on the head, because they've undershot every hot item. The only things that haven't been hot sellers in terms of box sets in recent memory are... Catacombs and Rise of the Phoenix, but both of those were at a higher price point than others of the same type. Everything else sells out immediately

There are a couple other exceptions you're ignoring. Wrath and Rapture was one, the eldar vs space wolfs lingered a long time as well, both in stores and on the GW store. Forgebane too. Shadowspear was a medium term box that I'm not sure if you're including, but it was a available a good while.
I can still buy Shadow and Pain and Aetherwar if I really want to at a shop ~40 minutes away.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2021/04/18 01:44:54


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





It still seems that too many of the hot ticket items are sold out far too quickly, even considering items that are supposed to sell fast, like Looncurse and other VS boxes.

Shadowspear they produced a lot of because it was Space Marines. In that regard, they overestimated the appeal of tacticool vanguard marines.

Either way, when you hype up a brand new addition to your line like Cursed City as much as they did, they need the content to back it up. I'd actually almost prefer that they did LESS advertising and let the products stand more on their own.
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




drbored wrote:
It still seems that too many of the hot ticket items are sold out far too quickly, even considering items that are supposed to sell fast, like Looncurse and other VS boxes.

Shadowspear they produced a lot of because it was Space Marines. In that regard, they overestimated the appeal of tacticool vanguard marines.

Either way, when you hype up a brand new addition to your line like Cursed City as much as they did, they need the content to back it up. I'd actually almost prefer that they did LESS advertising and let the products stand more on their own.


Oh, I can't call Cursed City anything but a massive screw up. I don't know what they were thinking, I don't know what problems they had, but the release was a mess, and their (lack of) response was worse. Even IF they eventually bring it back, they've made a dog's breakfast of it, and its largely killed my interest in it AND the upcoming vampire release. Which is a shame, because it was looking like my 'big thing' for the year.

Looncurse & etc, though, I get why they do it. I honestly don't care very much- the Versus boxes seem like a preview or early release of character models, nice if you can get them, but after a while the new character models come out separately and the boxes as a whole really aren't a great deal unless you actually do happen to collect both factions. The wait can be somewhat annoying if the models are particularly impressive but... mostly they aren't. Its just a sales gimmick.

As for advertising- eh. Its their own webpage and that's pretty much the end of their public facing advertising (as opposed to sales catalogs/pitches to distributors/stores). Its a... dozen or so articles over a couple months and maybe a fancy website that's cute, maybe smartly designed but fairly empty (and too few pics that are really too small to get a good look at the contents). GW's concept of advertising is more cheap entertainment than actual sales persuasion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/18 02:23:07


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Voss wrote:
drbored wrote:
It still seems that too many of the hot ticket items are sold out far too quickly, even considering items that are supposed to sell fast, like Looncurse and other VS boxes.

Shadowspear they produced a lot of because it was Space Marines. In that regard, they overestimated the appeal of tacticool vanguard marines.

Either way, when you hype up a brand new addition to your line like Cursed City as much as they did, they need the content to back it up. I'd actually almost prefer that they did LESS advertising and let the products stand more on their own.


Oh, I can't call Cursed City anything but a massive screw up. I don't know what they were thinking, I don't know what problems they had, but the release was a mess, and their (lack of) response was worse. Even IF they eventually bring it back, they've made a dog's breakfast of it, and its largely killed my interest in it AND the upcoming vampire release. Which is a shame, because it was looking like my 'big thing' for the year.

Looncurse & etc, though, I get why they do it. I honestly don't care very much- the Versus boxes seem like a preview or early release of character models, nice if you can get them, but after a while the new character models come out separately and the boxes as a whole really aren't a great deal unless you actually do happen to collect both factions. The wait can be somewhat annoying if the models are particularly impressive but... mostly they aren't. Its just a sales gimmick.

As for advertising- eh. Its their own webpage and that's pretty much the end of their public facing advertising (as opposed to sales catalogs/pitches to distributors/stores). Its a... dozen or so articles over a couple months and maybe a fancy website that's cute, maybe smartly designed but fairly empty (and too few pics that are really too small to get a good look at the contents). GW's concept of advertising is more cheap entertainment than actual sales persuasion.


They do also send out review copies to a lot of the youtube influencers and website hosts. Now, I don't have a problem with the practice of sending copies to reviewers (a drop in the bucket compared to the number that are sold), but again, it's more hype that reaches further than their public facing website.

So, no matter how you slice it, it's a mess.

My worry for Vampires is that, like the vampire warband that just came out, it's going to sell out fast and people aren't going to be able to get the models they want, which will kill interest even further, and potentially shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to AoS 3.0 if that's indeed coming.

After all, if people that WANT to play the brand new game aren't able to get the things they need to play, be it the factions that just came out or are going to, then the number of people shouting loudly into the void because of minor inconveniences will only increase.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Yeah, if the game was always planned to be a "one printing and done" release, then the influencer copies make less sense - given how GW like their NDAs, I don't think the influencers were able to release any content until the day the pre-orders went up.

And, as we've seen, that wasn't the moment they needed extra hype

Were this a line item that was going to stick around for a couple of years - or even something where there'd be a second printing in six months - then the influencer copies make more sense due to the material they'd release over time keeping interest in the game.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in gb
Battle-tested Knight Castellan Pilot





drbored wrote:
they've undershot every hot item.

If you categorize every item that oversells as hot then by definition they will undershoot every hot item.
   
Made in pl
Dakka Veteran




Germany

drbored wrote:
 legionaires wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Two quick things:

Apparently GW though they had enough copies of Cursed City to last them 3-6 months, but they all sold out pretty much straight away.

Right now there is an unknown, serious problem with their warehouse - orders haven't gone out to FLGS or GW stores in the last few days, and some have been advised it'll be next week before they get stuff (so a lot of people won't be getting their pre-orders this weekend).

Days? Try months. My LGS is still waiting on those Blood Bowl starters and War Cry Alliance books. I know that distributors have typically given shops in the Southern US the shaft but this is a new level.


This has been the story every time a box set sells out.

Looncurse, Carrion Empire, Sisters of Battle box set, Indomitus, the early Kill Team boxes. Every single time it's "We thought we made enough to last for months and months!"

So the question I would pose to GW is: When are you going to learn?

Whoever is in charge of projections needs a bonk on the head, because they've undershot every hot item. The only things that haven't been hot sellers in terms of box sets in recent memory are... Catacombs and Rise of the Phoenix, but both of those were at a higher price point than others of the same type. Everything else sells out immediately, GW throw up their hands and say "We THOUGHT we had enough!" and we're supposed to say, what, "Oh, gosh, GW, it's the thought that counts."???


They're never going to learn, because they never actually undershot. They were always supposed to sell out instantly, to create artificial scarcity and make everyone do a mad rush for every box set, out of fear of missing out on it during the tiny window they have. It's all planned.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

You give GW way too much credit...

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in fi
Charging Wild Rider





 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
Spoiler:
drbored wrote:
 legionaires wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Two quick things:

Apparently GW though they had enough copies of Cursed City to last them 3-6 months, but they all sold out pretty much straight away.

Right now there is an unknown, serious problem with their warehouse - orders haven't gone out to FLGS or GW stores in the last few days, and some have been advised it'll be next week before they get stuff (so a lot of people won't be getting their pre-orders this weekend).

Days? Try months. My LGS is still waiting on those Blood Bowl starters and War Cry Alliance books. I know that distributors have typically given shops in the Southern US the shaft but this is a new level.


This has been the story every time a box set sells out.

Looncurse, Carrion Empire, Sisters of Battle box set, Indomitus, the early Kill Team boxes. Every single time it's "We thought we made enough to last for months and months!"

So the question I would pose to GW is: When are you going to learn?

Whoever is in charge of projections needs a bonk on the head, because they've undershot every hot item. The only things that haven't been hot sellers in terms of box sets in recent memory are... Catacombs and Rise of the Phoenix, but both of those were at a higher price point than others of the same type. Everything else sells out immediately, GW throw up their hands and say "We THOUGHT we had enough!" and we're supposed to say, what, "Oh, gosh, GW, it's the thought that counts."???


They're never going to learn, because they never actually undershot. They were always supposed to sell out instantly, to create artificial scarcity and make everyone do a mad rush for every box set, out of fear of missing out on it during the tiny window they have. It's all planned.
So now that Cursed City sold out in 20 minutes or whatever it was, exactly how does that benefit GW? Customers are now even more afraid to lose out next time, so the next similar box will sell out in 15 minutes instead? And the one after in 10 minutes? GW will end up making exactly the same amount of money in that week. What would massively increase profits is having sufficient products available to sell to those eager customers. Decreasing production to inflate FOMO doesn't compensate for lost sales of customers who did indeed miss out, and it's a pointless strategy to further grow FOMO if selling out is basically the default anyway. Demand already outstrips supply. If they could increase supply, they presumably would. If they can, but instead choose to increase demand, they're idiots.
   
Made in gb
Secretive Dark Angels Veteran






The more they sell, the more their profit margin for the item increases. Artificial scarcity is ridiculous.

It will be back up on sale again at some point. As has been said numerous times, the vast majority of costs are upfront. If there is demand, and they can produce more, they should and will, as it is quite literally, easy money.

What would be interesting is in future for such specific limited releases, they should do a kickstarter model style deposit/pre-order. It may involve releasing details far in advance (6 months) but it should be an option, they then cannot screw up the demand.

Another reason is, GW are just super behind in production due to covid and know they cannot risk delaying 40k releases (the real money earner) for the sake of a re-print of this release at the moment, that doesn't mean they won't free up in 6 months.

My hobby instagram account: @the_shroud_of_vigilance
My Shroud of Vigilance Hobby update blog for me detailed updates and lore on the faction:
Blog 
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Is it planned though? I get you’ve got a permanent hate on for GW, and for unclear reasons dedicate your time to lurking on here looking for something to whine about.

But let’s just break it down to what we know, yeah?

1. They put a lot of effort into promoting Cursed City.

2. So far, this is the only Warhammer Quest core set which hasn’t remained in production for a decent period. Certainly both Hammerhal and Silver Tower were available concurrently.

3. These are unusual times. Not just COVID, but also Brexit. Both can be spanner’s in the works.

4. Over the past year, GW have seen a significant uptick in sales. Boxed games such as this are printed well in advance. Any numbers ordered likely won’t have factored in the upstick in sales. Comparing the six months to December 2019 (sales of £148m) to the six months to November 2020 (sales of £186m) reveals that. So the current scarcity could be the unintended victim of that uptick.

5. FOMO is utter mince here. Why? Because in the run up, GW did nothing to suggest this might a limited “one and done” run. At all. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nowt. Zero. Not even a hint. Everyone assumed “new Quest set? Sweet, that’ll be around for a while, so no rush. Hence people being upset and irritated that it is now, possibly, a One And Done.

6. GW have already paid the vast majority of the costs for creating, assembling and selling the game. So if they were just evil money grubbing gits as you so often insist (apparently unlike every other company everywhere)? Why no Made to Order? We’ve seem them do this before. And it left a fair amount of scalpers with units they couldn’t flog at a profit. That was good for a laugh. So there’s seemingly no clear reason they haven’t Made to Order this at a bare minimum.

7. Read the actual post.



As HBMC said earlier, Not Expecting is not the same as Not Returning Ever. Sure, it doesn’t look good for a reprint, but it’s not categorically ruling it out.

So....what is going on? Nobody knows outside of GW. But given this flies in the face of FOMO, if you could stop claiming it, that’d be champion. Because FOMO requires the availability to be known to be limited before it goes on sale. Not after it’s already sold out, as was the case with Cursed City.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/18 10:23:47


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Pfizer vaccine administered 13:40pm 18 Feb 21. Still no second head. Second jab 13:35pm 6 May 2021. At the Masonic Hall. 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




I dont get why people cant grasp this; GW dont need to say something is limited to create a FOMO... their CONSISTENT failure to produce stock to meet demand creates it with each ensuing release. Just like this one will for the next one.

If GW have supply ongoing chain issues (and covid and brexit might be bad, but not so bad that they’ve effected things in the past surely?) then they could slow down their release schedule... but they wont as there is a vast body of people in a frenzy to preorder another batch of models for their shame pile every single week, not to mention the foul scalpers.

The situation is crazy.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stonecold Gimster






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:

So....what is going on? Nobody knows outside of GW. But given this flies in the face of FOMO, if you could stop claiming it, that’d be champion. Because FOMO requires the availability to be known to be limited before it goes on sale. Not after it’s already sold out, as was the case with Cursed City.


Having 'regular' items sell out, helps fomo. How can you argue against it? It doesn't matter if the item is limited or not.

It's now become a standard thing that to get the latest GW pre-order, you need to be online at release time, spamming refresh till it appears in the store, add to basket and buy asap. If you don't, you either won't get it, or will wait several months for the reprint. This means people are buying items from a few photos only. You don't get to see it physically and make a rational decision, you have to buy it the second it's on the webpage. As prices are not announced in advance, they're often higher than you expect, but you have to grab it quick or not get it without thinking.

Whether the scarcity is planned by GW, or a combo of Brexit/Covid problems, it certainly helps GW with the fomo purchases. However, by having this scarcity, it has made scalping far worse. All of which is bad for gamers.

My Painting Blog: http://gimgamgoo.com/
Currently most played: Kill Team, Kings of War, Silent Death, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Dracula's America, Bolt Action (& K47) and X-Wing 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




That is the problem when you turn fans into fanatics- they will buy everything you toss at them, but at the price of buying everything you toss at them. The hype train cannot stop, or there is backlash.
And yes, whoever is responsible for sales projections at GW clearly bought into their own hype, because their big-ticket products (2-player/one-time boxes) always either sell out in an instant or linger forever like the awful Lumineth box. Complete failure to estimate demand every damn time.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Yeah, the scarcity helps day 1 sales, people know if they don't pre-order (and increasingly, if they don't pre-order direct from GW) they risk missing out, whether it's explicitly advertised as being a limited run product or not. I think it's pretty clear GW have struggled to up their production capacity (and, yeah, it's a boring refrain but Covid definitely won't have helped with that) and that's what we're seeing - they're just trying to balance demand vs their production capacity and in some cases, getting that balance wrong. They won't commit to a reprint likely because their production capacity is already fully committed to the Next Thing anyway (or, more realistically, the next several things), and that's before any supply chain issues with printed components are taken into account.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Luke82 wrote:
I dont get why people cant grasp this; GW dont need to say something is limited to create a FOMO... their CONSISTENT failure to produce stock to meet demand creates it with each ensuing release. Just like this one will for the next one.

If GW have supply ongoing chain issues (and covid and brexit might be bad, but not so bad that they’ve effected things in the past surely?) then they could slow down their release schedule... but they wont as there is a vast body of people in a frenzy to preorder another batch of models for their shame pile every single week, not to mention the foul scalpers.

The situation is crazy.


But that's not the case consistently with everything GW release is it? It's this, Piety and Pain and Indomitus. 99% of everything they release (other than the upfront limited edition novels) stays available for months if not years. There's a low level, it could go at any point and won't come back fear, for sure, and they capitalise on that. But nothing in the WHQ line has ever sold out quicker than 6 months, so for fans of that line, there was no FOMO.

Likewise the Underworlds Vampires have gone but those will definitely come back because they have to for the game to function (if there are important universal cards in that pack). It'll get reprinted as they keep them in stock for two years and no-one is worrying about that.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I can't help but feel that people are so hooked on the Fear of Missing Out theory that its all they can see now and is the only marketing strategy that they keep ascribing to all of GW's marketing and actions.


I'm not denying that its there, but I think its something people are really getting hooked on as the base line for everything GW does. Even to the point where people are now saying that regular stock moving in and out of stock is FOMO.

From what i've seen that would really only apply to Forgeworld where falling out of stock can mean a product gets removed because it fell otu of stock because the mould broke and they've either lost the capacity to make a new one or can't secure funding to make a new one etc..


Otherwise most GW boxes are long term product lines. Even the short term discount boxes are just that, a short term discount. Piety and Pain is similar to GW just doing weekend sale on a selection of boxes. We all know that the new models inside will be sold on their own in the semi-near future; most of us online know that many of them will be fairly easily accessible in the first weeks in split boxes online. In the end you just miss out on a sale, which is the same for any sale on any website or store. The actual product itself will come around again.

   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Piety and Pain is similar to GW just doing weekend sale on a selection of boxes

significant difference is that the stock of Piety and Pain is going to be much more limited than stock of individual boxes of SoBs and DE. It's less akin to "weekend sale" and more to the stupid black friday "we have 50 tv's at -70%, good luck" promos that should die in fire along with the manager that approves them.

And yes, they will be released eventually, but GW once took over a year to release the individual hero units from their battleboxes, so people have been trained to fear how long it'll take.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





FOMO is a real underpants gnome level theory for explaining GW's sales tactics. Though perhaps that explains some of the more interesting mental stretches I've seen around the forums concerning the 'absolutely insane costs of holding an item in a warehouse' and 'the genius business strategy of producing small amounts of a product to make sure you sell it all.' The problem with all this is the people are GW aren't guys on internet forums pretending to know what they're talking about, they'd never come up with any of this stuff themselves.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Cronch wrote:
Piety and Pain is similar to GW just doing weekend sale on a selection of boxes

significant difference is that the stock of Piety and Pain is going to be much more limited than stock of individual boxes of SoBs and DE. It's less akin to "weekend sale" and more to the stupid black friday "we have 50 tv's at -70%, good luck" promos that should die in fire along with the manager that approves them.

And yes, they will be released eventually, but GW once took over a year to release the individual hero units from their battleboxes, so people have been trained to fear how long it'll take.


Aye I'll agree with both those points.
That said in practical terms GW has never really been in a position where they could do a major sale and not run out of stock unless its on very popular but exhausted product lines or on very unpopular stuff. Ergo things that will still sell, but which are just not the new-hotness of the month. Eg Indomitus will continue to sell really well even now, its tapered off a bit because the market got a huge glut all at once; but there's always new customers coming in and others returning and others trying things out.

GW has one big safety net in that their products don't devalue over time. Unlike films and music and quite honestly a LOT of other product lines; GW's don't go down and often only go up in value. Their only risks are long term storage costs and if they had too many products not fast sell and were left sitting on a mountain of stock - which honestly is far from likely to happen right now.

   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





I stopped by my local GW to politely hassle the owner about Cursed CIty but they were closed. There is a CC box on the wall so I know they have at least one box. They usually keep doubles of the big stuff in the stock room.

Initially I was jazzed to use some of the models for Warcry. The more I think about it all I want are the zombies and sleletons so I can run hordes of Death in the solo AI scenarios. The rest of the models are really nice, but I have no use for them. Now I see that the zombies and skeletons are supposed to be released as individual sets so CC is pretty much a waste for me.

Crisis averted.
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




 frankelee wrote:
FOMO is a real underpants gnome level theory for explaining GW's sales tactics. Though perhaps that explains some of the more interesting mental stretches I've seen around the forums concerning the 'absolutely insane costs of holding an item in a warehouse' and 'the genius business strategy of producing small amounts of a product to make sure you sell it all.' The problem with all this is the people are GW aren't guys on internet forums pretending to know what they're talking about, they'd never come up with any of this stuff themselves.


It takes but a few seconds to google how luxury brands (which GW sees itself as) use artificial scarcity to drive up their perceived value and prices, you could have done that instead of typing this dog turd post man, use your time better!

I get its hard to admit you’ve been duped many, many times, but c’mon dudes this product, and many like it, sold out within hours of its preorder... how incompetent do people think this highly successful company is? So much more comforting to think some tragedy has befallen GW’s supply chain then to accept participation in a con job i guess.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





And here we go...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/04/18/our-pre-order-schedules-changing-a-bit-heres-how/

...it is indeed a difficult time for GW.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/18 17:17:37


Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in de
Steady Dwarf Warrior




Hamburg

Luke82 wrote:
 frankelee wrote:
FOMO is a real underpants gnome level theory for explaining GW's sales tactics. Though perhaps that explains some of the more interesting mental stretches I've seen around the forums concerning the 'absolutely insane costs of holding an item in a warehouse' and 'the genius business strategy of producing small amounts of a product to make sure you sell it all.' The problem with all this is the people are GW aren't guys on internet forums pretending to know what they're talking about, they'd never come up with any of this stuff themselves.


It takes but a few seconds to google how luxury brands (which GW sees itself as) use artificial scarcity to drive up their perceived value and prices, you could have done that instead of typing this dog turd post man, use your time better!

I get its hard to admit you’ve been duped many, many times, but c’mon dudes this product, and many like it, sold out within hours of its preorder... how incompetent do people think this highly successful company is? So much more comforting to think some tragedy has befallen GW’s supply chain then to accept participation in a con job i guess.

GW want to become mainstream. They will not achieve this without spreading their products as far and wide as possible. Especially something like Cursed City which with its generic fantasy/horror setting and boardgame character is designed to have an appeal to people way beyond their usual audience.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And they know this.

A limited box for the FOMO crowd would not have push fit minis. Those are for the beginner/gateway products (easy to build, underworlds, blood bowl etc)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/18 17:33:45


 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




My thoughts and prayers go to the shareholders [*]
   
Made in gb
Crushing Black Templar Crusader Pilot






London

So the pertinent point is:

"over the next couple of weeks, there will be a short pause where we’ll have no new pre-orders. Have no fear, though – new releases will be coming your way before you know it."

Where this fits in with Cursed City getting a reprint (or not) is unclear.

But I will be interested to see the response from the 'FOMO Brigade' who think that underselling a product which clearly has tens of thousands of customers who would have paid full price (or perhaps a premium) as some sort of 4-D chess.

As someone in a top-end provider service provider (albeit as a lawyer I don't have experience of manufacturing), I can tell you that if you have the opportunity to sell your good/service at full price, and the capacity, you do it. There is no advantage to GW for hobbyists with £££ and nothing GW to spend on it going to buy a product from GW's rivals.

If GW wanted this to be limited, they could have charged double the price, and been upfront about it being highly limited. Or, the much easier proposition, they could have made it a smaller undertaking to design/produce/market. Why not make it an exclusive Underworlds Warband?

How would the business genius class of Dakka explain FOMO for CC in a shareholder's meeting as leading to either long-term value or short-term cashflow? Would the announcement the next day that CC was coming back have harmed GW and if so, how?



Relapse wrote:
Baron, don't forget to talk about the SEALs and Marines you habitually beat up on 2 and 3 at a time, as you PM'd me about.
nareik wrote:
Perhaps it is a lube issue, seems obvious now.
 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: