Switch Theme:

Warcry (AoS) News & Rumours - Warcry Catacombs preorder 24th October, 4 Grand Alliances books pg77  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







I don't know why it would be absurd, but it's definitely a gakky phoned in faction.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/18 22:34:56


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in pl
Been Around the Block




Germany

Huh, so it seems that flintlock rumor engine won't be for a Cities of Sigmar warband.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut







Had to google it myself. Latin for absurd.
   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





The faction in this WD is actually Cities of Sigmar: Hammerhal.

So apparently, it's meant to be a typical warband for Hammerhal. Makes sense it's so focused on freeguild supported by a few aelves and duardins.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Sarouan wrote:
The faction in this WD is actually Cities of Sigmar: Hammerhal.

So apparently, it's meant to be a typical warband for Hammerhal. Makes sense it's so focused on freeguild supported by a few aelves and duardins.
Indeed. Though for people wishing to do other cities I would note that the race/culture of the figure does not matter in a rules sense; using a phoenix guard instead of a black guard works fine, a sister of the watch could stand in for a crossbowman, and so on. Not ideal but it's something.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 lord_blackfang wrote:
I don't know why it would be absurd, but it's definitely a gakky phoned in faction.
Having looked through the rules, I disagree. There is a good balance between the different options and what they can do on the battlefield, while the abilities are useful without being overpowered. There was definitely some thought that went into this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/09/19 10:31:36


 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

Im kind of glad they are doing rules for cities of sigmar. More options are generally a good thing.

With just about every other fantasy faction out of the way, we can see resources dedicated to new factions, in the same vein as khainite shadowstalkers.

The article in wd 355 about giving you explicit permission to tweak the rules a bit and even show you how to make your own rules for a certain model are very welcome.

I see far too many people get in the trap of only using rules as outlined by "official" sources. So being "officially" allowed to be creative is something i shall be pointing other towards in a gam3 that, in the same article, they admit was built for narrative purposes, first and foremost.

This is a good very good skirmish engine, and the simplicity should encourage others to tweak things to suit their collection.

This cities of sigmar article is a very good example of such. Because there are going to be a lot of people dissapointed that x unit wasnt included. Well, use the handy dandy unit card generator and have fun man.

   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






 Hellfury wrote:
The article in wd 355 about giving you explicit permission to tweak the rules a bit and even show you how to make your own rules for a certain model are very welcome.

I see far too many people get in the trap of only using rules as outlined by "official" sources. So being "officially" allowed to be creative is something i shall be pointing other towards in a gam3 that, in the same article, they admit was built for narrative purposes, first and foremost.


I hear what you're saying, but I think it's reasonable to expect that the game would provide you with what you need to play. Not a disagreement or attack, just starting a conversation. Also, my sense is that there is an abundance of options for Warcry warbands; I have two or three builds for my Splintered Fang warband, getting a lot of variation out of only about twelve or fifteen models. I think, for this specific game, GW has done a good job of providing a lot of options to make interesting lists. I don't think we really need official unofficial rules. I think that's for a very specific group of players; when I started gaming as a kid (about 9 or 10 I think) we made up rules all the time, that's just part of how we had fun. Today, my regular gaming group freely uses house rules when we find them appropriate, although only when the game as it is doesn't work (ask me about how we play EVO: Second Edition, because I'm sure everyone's dying for that bit of information).

I agree with what you're saying about it being a narrative game; in 85% of the missions, more mobile warbands win, in 15% off missions, more durable warbands win. And it goes quickly, so it's always felt like a beer and pretzels game. I don't think I'd be looking for more work on my end to make new rules and models; for me personally, I want to be able to grab a couple models of my shelf, and say "let's see how these guys do together." I'd rather spend time crafting rules for an upcoming RPG session or similar.

6681 points of
My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here! 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

Don Qui Hotep 773413 wrote:I don't think we really need official unofficial rules. I think that's for a very specific group of players; when I started gaming as a kid (about 9 or 10 I think) we made up rules all the time, that's just part of how we had fun. Today, my regular gaming group freely uses house rules when we find them appropriate, although only when the game as it is doesn't work...


I agree that its not for everyone one. But sometimes when you play a game a lot, you reach a wall in being able to explore the game as set out in the original design.

And its stupid that we as a gaming community need it, but this same community largely eschews the mere concept of diverging from the official writ, as has been bestowed by the numinous ivory tower. And for creative hobbies like this, thats a rather large shame. But thats more of a societal psychology rathet than any issues with the game itself.

And luckily, with the exception of some random combinations of missions/deployment/twist cards that make for not very good games, it largely does work.

Its just nice to have such creativity acknowledged, and allowed to occur, because it makes it easier to suggest such creative changes for the sake of engaging narrative to other players.

Do you want to have some dwarves become the random monsters encountered in the ancient duardin city your skirmish takes place on? "Sure buddy, and here's a rough template to use to make that work. Have fun, kid!"

Want a couple of endless spells to stand in as proxies for some random encounters? Not a problem, in fact thats a good idea, please do it and let us know how it works.

It actually nurtures community. A term we use often but seem to have forgotten the definition of what a healthy, functioning community is and does.

Again, its more of an endictment against how insular and curmudgeonly many gaming communities are, but ots little things like this that are needed for games such as Warcry. It also helps the players not take themselves so darn seriously too, which is another trap that is easy to fall into when you drop serious money and your own precious time into the models in order to play.

Really play, and not just lip service to the word 'play'.



   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior






 Hellfury wrote:
Want a couple of endless spells to stand in as proxies for some random encounters? Not a problem, in fact thats a good idea, please do it and let us know how it works.

It actually nurtures community. A term we use often but seem to have forgotten the definition of what a healthy, functioning community is and does.

Again, its more of an endictment against how insular and curmudgeonly many gaming communities are, but ots little things like this that are needed for games such as Warcry. It also helps the players not take themselves so darn seriously too, which is another trap that is easy to fall into when you drop serious money and your own precious time into the models in order to play.

Really play, and not just lip service to the word 'play'.


That's a really good point; I underestimated how important it is to set the tone. I've mostly been playing smaller scale games lately, so I haven't felt plugged into a particular gaming "community" for a while. A healthy community will take its cues from the creative intent of the game (if it's well designed etc. etc.).

6681 points of
My painting log is full of snakes
Have any retro, vintage, or out of print models? Show them off here! 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

Lore for Scions of the Flame and Khainite Shadowstalkers

Khainite Shadowstalkers

Hand-picked agents of Morathi, Khainite Shadowstalkers are each branded with the shademark, a sorcerous pact that grants its bearer supernatural abilities while binding their souls to the Shadow Queen’s eternal servitude. Able to dart from shadow to shadow and land a killing stroke in the blink of an eye, Shadowstalkers are master assassins all.

Khainite Shadowstalkers can utilise the arcane pathways of the Umbral Web to travel vast distances in an instant, making it possible to hunt their prey regardless of where they might seek to hide. To be marked for death by the Shadowstalkers is to be doomed to die without warning, for few of their quarries ever see the danger coming before it’s too late.

The boldest of the Shadowstalkers even forge pacts with shadow daemons, becoming one with the darkness and bleeding nought but abyssal nothingness when cut. These deadly hybrids can even command the shadows of their prey to do their bidding, throttling their owner or stabbing them in the back with blades formed from their own twilight reflection.

First mention of the Umbral Web. And dang is it a good one!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





More hints and teases about shadow daemons as well. I could be wrong, but I think we see one on the art of one of the Beastgrave cards.
Edit: Beastgrave has quite a few Shadow-y daemons.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/15 15:39:41


 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

They don't fit thematically at all I don't think, think it's similar to the situation in AoS where it's an attempt to shoe-horn in a medley of miniatures from WHFB. You've got all of this absolutely nuts, psychedelic high-fantasy of lizard dream-people and fish elves, fighting on the nexus points of chaos, suddenly along comes Herman the trusty Lansraad Halberdier?

It might be for people who have them in their miniature range already and just want a chance to play Warcry, but I don't know why anyone else would want to play them.


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Every high fantasy setting I can think of still has regular troops with swords and such. Heck Malazan Book of the Fallen features large armies of regular troops. Heck look at 40K the average guardsman has a laser pointer to go to battle with and they use WW1 style tanks.



Also the more we see of the Shadow realm and Shadow armies (Morathi and hints at Malarion's) the more it seems that the Shadow Realm is the Realms "Demonic" realm. Allowing for demonic creatures of a realm that isn't from Chaos itself. Which is an itneresting take, but does fit as there's a realm of Light with angelic creatures and a realm of Death etc..

   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Overread wrote:
Every high fantasy setting I can think of still has regular troops with swords and such. Heck Malazan Book of the Fallen features large armies of regular troops. Heck look at 40K the average guardsman has a laser pointer to go to battle with and they use WW1 style tanks.

Also the more we see of the Shadow realm and Shadow armies (Morathi and hints at Malarion's) the more it seems that the Shadow Realm is the Realms "Demonic" realm. Allowing for demonic creatures of a realm that isn't from Chaos itself. Which is an itneresting take, but does fit as there's a realm of Light with angelic creatures and a realm of Death etc..


Agreed - its the same way the Warhammer Old World had both people desperatly fighting off a few skaven in a sewer but also god like figures or even actual gods- sometimes even in the same book (see Gotrek and Felix)

Be cool if they actually have the Shadow Deamons (that apparently Morathi disports herself with) - either as manifestiations of the Realm of Ulgu or something else.

I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

I think the idea of shadow deamons is pretty cool. For dark elves, i think they fit quite well thematically. For funky aos dark elves from Ulgu, the literal realm of shadow, even more so.

Even if they never make models for them, im definitely making a counts as model to sub in as needed.

Thats one of the beautiful things about warcry. Putting a counts as models for a merc or monster or whatever works really well, especially when you use the custom fighter profile creator.

Probably the easiest and laziest model in the history of gw to paint. Take any model you like, and give it some Rattlecan black. Bam!

   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






Chaos or non chaos I am very excited to read more about these shadow daemons. Both options offer some juicy narrative.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in ie
Fixture of Dakka






Catacombs confirmed for preorder on 23rd October

4 new books coming 1 for each Grand Alliance - Looks like Cities of Sigmar is getting expanded as there is a Demigryph Knight, Wild Rider, Dreadspear and Sister of the Watch in the video.







This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2020/10/17 13:54:30


 
   
Made in be
Longtime Dakkanaut





Let's face it : most of the content of these books will be recycled content. Sure, there may be a few more additions, but the core we already know from previous card packs and Tomes of Champion will be making most of the space of them.

And that's the preview for Warcry, guys !

Ah, am I glad to have dropped that joke of a game, really. I will laugh even harder if the profiles for the non-AoS warbands aren't inside the Chaos great alliance book.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/17 14:09:26


 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

I don’t really like the direction Warcry is going. I much preferred the game when it was entirely distinct warbands rather than just porting in AoS stuff.
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 ImAGeek wrote:
I don’t really like the direction Warcry is going. I much preferred the game when it was entirely distinct warbands rather than just porting in AoS stuff.

The 'porting in AoS stuff' happened at the outset. We launched with several factions that weren't Chaos in there.

This is just a super weird comment in my opinion.
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 Kanluwen wrote:
 ImAGeek wrote:
I don’t really like the direction Warcry is going. I much preferred the game when it was entirely distinct warbands rather than just porting in AoS stuff.

The 'porting in AoS stuff' happened at the outset. We launched with several factions that weren't Chaos in there.

This is just a super weird comment in my opinion.


Okay, I preferred the idea of it when we were finding out about it, and it seemed to just be Chaos. Pardon me for my super weird comment. The fact that the game has continued down that path so much is disappointing to me.

I’m pretty sure the cards for other armies came a bit after release, but I could be wrong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/17 14:20:50


 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







Besides being an asinine way to charge twice for the same content, the books defeat the whole purpose of the card format. If they're going full books, they should dispense with the cards, icons and all that jazz and give normal profiles that can be written out on a roster. Having to flip through a book for a page of "cards" and a different page with your damn icon key is presidential-debate-level-dumb.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/17 14:34:34


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 ImAGeek wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
 ImAGeek wrote:
I don’t really like the direction Warcry is going. I much preferred the game when it was entirely distinct warbands rather than just porting in AoS stuff.

The 'porting in AoS stuff' happened at the outset. We launched with several factions that weren't Chaos in there.

This is just a super weird comment in my opinion.


Okay, I preferred the idea of it when we were finding out about it, and it seemed to just be Chaos. Pardon me for my super weird comment. The fact that the game has continued down that path so much is disappointing to me.

I’m pretty sure the cards for other armies came a bit after release, but I could be wrong.

At launch, we had 9 non-Chaos warbands.

The disconnect is that there was a sizeable second wave of releases...which also tied with the big beasties(mindstealer, fomoroid, myrmidon) for Chaos plus the arena themed folks, but since that one was smaller for Chaos it felt more heavily 'other'.
   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Central Cimmeria

 ImAGeek wrote:
I don’t really like the direction Warcry is going. I much preferred the game when it was entirely distinct warbands rather than just porting in AoS stuff.


I agree with you. I preferred Warcry as a chaos specific game. The other stuff always did and still did just feel bolted on.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Warcry was clearly going to be Chaos Only and then got hijacked into "Kilteam for AoS" and I don't mind that one bit.

Because think on it, if it was just Slaves to Darkness then unless they went full Necromunda style with it; then we'd already have everything for Warcry in 6 or 9 or so warbands. It would fizzle out fairly fast.


Instead its drawn in other armies and tomorrow it seems we'll see the first of a core army getting a core warband of its own - Daughters of Khaine.

   
Made in us
Lead-Footed Trukkboy Driver



Olympia, WA

Those are a very, very easy pass for me. They couldn't even manage to balance the original non-chaos warbands, so the chance of there not being a bunch of game breaking mistakes in these books is near zero.
I'll stick to the base game, which is one of GW's best efforts in years.

If I Had a Rocket Launcher, I'd Make Somebody Pay 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Interested to see whats in them - but concerned its going to be little more than reprints.

Hopefully more than just Nighthaunts in the Nagash book.

I AM A MARINE PLAYER

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 Mr Morden wrote:
Interested to see whats in them - but concerned its going to be little more than reprints.

Hopefully more than just Nighthaunts in the Nagash book.

They're called "Grand Alliance" books. They've said for a long time they were looking for a way to make it so that those who missed out on cards could get rules for the non-Chaos factions(which have theirs in their boxed sets).

This seems to be how. Also would not be shocked if we see the Grand Alliance books accompanied by discount boxes for some of the other factions with mixed sprues and cards in them, ala the SC Vanguard, Nighthaunt, Gloomspite, etc ones we saw.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Warcry news is lame. Hard to gauge where they are taking the game at this point.
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

Dread Master wrote:
Warcry news is lame. Hard to gauge where they are taking the game at this point.

To Catacombs.

Which we get more information on tomorrow.
And it goes up for preorder next Saturday(October 24).
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: