Switch Theme:

Necron and Space Marine Codex and upcoming releases discussion  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You meant to say 3 years, right?

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I wish they'd get it over with.

I'm even more convinced now that we're not going to see Flayed Ones/Assault Intercessors until the new KT box is out.

   
Made in us
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps




 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


A bit. I was thinking more along the lines of with SW and DW next month. They front-loaded the necrons and the marine ETB kits, and with 6 multipart kits and a character still to come*, it would make sense to release some along with the first two supplements.

*(assault ints, heavy ints, eradicators, bladeguard, tanks, skimmers plus the heavy rifle gravis captain) and also probably ETB outrider bikes in a separate box, like the skorpekhs. Jamming all that into October would have been difficult- its at least two weeks of releases yet. With supplements at least keeps them on point.


But stopping just short of finishing the necron range is dumb. 2 characters and what's probably a 5-model box of flayed ones. Just do it. Finish the range.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/18 21:59:59


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Nothing has said GW has stopped - they just did 3 weeks of solid necron releases. A break is not bad and even if you had an extensive necron force before there's ample new things to pick up and fill the time.

Yes I want it all done and out too, but at the same time I'm happy for other lines to get their share in the light as well.

Heck we've still got one more pre-order window for October to go so that could easily be more Necron/Marine content, esp when you consider that most of what we know coming out now is AoS stuff that's set for November and likely just 1 week of November (Morathi book; new duel army pack).

   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

BrianDavion wrote:
Spoiler:
 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines

From Rogue Trader on to 5th edition or so releases for an army were quite spread out, much more than anything in the last decade. There was also the real possibility that you would have models that were never released.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

 Ghaz wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Spoiler:
 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines

From Rogue Trader on to 5th edition or so releases for an army were quite spread out, much more than anything in the last decade. There was also the real possibility that you would have models that were never released.


Yeah before Chapterhouse GW kept adding things that never got models; both full models and things like weapon upgrades that weren't in kits. I recall Tyranids getting quite a few really cool unique model rule sets that never got a model. Every release event you'd be crossing your fingers and you'd get disappointed. You'd get a new codex and there was the model again and yet still no model appeared. For those happy to convert it was fine; but for those who were waiting/couldn't or didn't want too it was an annoying time. Whilst Chapterhouse lost us those concepts unless they got reinvented or added as models; I think it also cleaned house and stopped GW going down the path of "rules no models". Which to be fair was something almost only they were doing (most other companies have models for their rules unless they hit hard times and can't keep up production). GW was abnormal in having all the resources, but still adding things as concepts only.

Much as some dislike it, I welcome "no models no rules" as a standard practice. Plus GW has already shown that they are willing to add new model rules outside of the Codex for things released between codex editions.

   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






BrianDavion wrote:
 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines


You say perception.. I say reality lol
Theres been a constant release of marines since i started playing again in 8th 2 years ago. Like every month has at least 1 marine thing.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Overread wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Spoiler:
 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines

From Rogue Trader on to 5th edition or so releases for an army were quite spread out, much more than anything in the last decade. There was also the real possibility that you would have models that were never released.


Yeah before Chapterhouse GW kept adding things that never got models; both full models and things like weapon upgrades that weren't in kits. I recall Tyranids getting quite a few really cool unique model rule sets that never got a model. Every release event you'd be crossing your fingers and you'd get disappointed. You'd get a new codex and there was the model again and yet still no model appeared. For those happy to convert it was fine; but for those who were waiting/couldn't or didn't want too it was an annoying time. Whilst Chapterhouse lost us those concepts unless they got reinvented or added as models; I think it also cleaned house and stopped GW going down the path of "rules no models". Which to be fair was something almost only they were doing (most other companies have models for their rules unless they hit hard times and can't keep up production). GW was abnormal in having all the resources, but still adding things as concepts only.

Much as some dislike it, I welcome "no models no rules" as a standard practice. Plus GW has already shown that they are willing to add new model rules outside of the Codex for things released between codex editions.


That really stifles any kind of creative rules imo. We now have relics and traits which do exactly the same thing.. do why cant genestealers take sxything talons anymore?

Even most die hard try hards will turn blind eye on Wysiwyg if its something that makes sense and is minor thing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/18 22:39:01


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Argive wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Argive wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Voss wrote:
Ok then. I was hoping they'd finish out the necron release this month. But I guess the crypteks and flayed ones will wait until... later.

But it better not wait until the kill team release next year!
The dumb preview video is making me wonder...

The pile of SM kits can be parceled out with the various supplements.
The Marine release being spread over 3+ months is absurd.


You must be new to 40k...


this is a relatively nerw development, one that first popped up with codex 8.5 and no one was partiucularly happy with it eaither. Casval isd 100% right that the result last time was to heighten the perception of GW releasing nothing but Marines


You say perception.. I say reality lol
Theres been a constant release of marines since i started playing again in 8th 2 years ago. Like every month has at least 1 marine thing.



not true at all. Primaris Marines came out with the start of 8th edition, dark Imperium hit in June 2017 with codex space marines and the first primaris kits out in July. Death Guard came out in september, followed by blood angels and dark angels in december, each getting a single primaris Leuitenant. that was the last marine release until augest 2018 saw tooth and claw give us the space wolves Leuintenat. we didn't see any other marine releases until 2019 when shadowspear hit.
So no we have not been getting "marine releases every month" I won't lie we've gotten a LOT of them, a lot are, as has been noted, big releases stretched out, but try and refrain from the hyperbole.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Overread wrote:
Much as some dislike it, I welcome "no models no rules" as a standard practice. Plus GW has already shown that they are willing to add new model rules outside of the Codex for things released between codex editions.
The problem is GW have taken that concept to an absurd degree, changing the very way their models are designed (lack of options) and writing wargear sections in Codices that are just insane, from the smallest example (a Necron Overlord cannot have a Hyperphase Glaive and a Res Orb, as the model with the Res Orb has a Warscythe), to the utterly bonkers (the fact that there is a Codex entry entitled "Captain with Master-Crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle").

I've said it before: GW didn't lose the CHS case, we did.

   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Lack of options isn't really anything to do with "no models no rules" that's a design ethos choice that's totally separate. GW can give models options in the box or not; just as we've seen with mono-option models we've also seen kits like Necromunda with a vast array of options and optional weapon packs.

The two are not directly related save in the initial period where we lots options because they weren't weapons in the box. Though many would argue they didn't lose much as unless you converted you didn't have those weapons to model anyway.



I agree not everything after Chapterhouse was good - we got random name changes and other things that weren't great for us; but I'd say at its core no-model-no-rules was a net gain for us. If GW chooses to abandon optional parts then that's on them; but I tihnk that's more "easy build" pushing in a bit


(even though I find easy build a bit silly as a concept since most GW models are darn easy builds anyway and some of the easy builds are harder to build )

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Overread wrote:
Lack of options isn't really anything to do with "no models no rules" that's a design ethos choice that's totally separate.
I completely reject that on every level. One only has to look at the new Outrider kit to see how no model/no rule affects options. Their aim is to stifle third parties. That's why Marines went from being designed like this, to being designed like this. How we went from this, to this or this. Why rules like this existed, and why entries like this persist. And there are far more examples in the two latest Codices.

They design their kits to be as unfriendly to third parties as possible. They limit options within kits so that there's no reason to go elsewhere for parts. They even limit the way kits go together.

The two are directly related. They are inherent to one another. Intrinsic.

   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Not really, "No models no rules" is just a policy to not have rules in the book that GW doesn't make a model for. They can make a billion options or no options, all that matters is if the parts are within the kit that is sold. Or in the case of several specialist games - parts sold in expansion kits by GW.


What you're looking at is the greater impact of Chapterhouse which wasn't just GW stopping putting stuff in codex that they didn't make, but also now perhaps taking a design choice to make designs less easily converted/added too with 3rd party parts.

That said in this day and age if that were their intent it would be wasted effort since those wanting 3rd party parts would just start getting whole 3rd party models. Instead of buying a GW model (GW gets money) and then buying after market parts (costs the gamer more).

Instead I think some of their parting designs are because of CAD. Instead of someone having to manually cut parts off a master model, they instead have a computer program. It allows them to create angles and shapes within plastic casting that previously were near impossible or very hard to design. Undercuts and the like in shape and form which just would not work with plastic injection moulding. Some of the creative shapes are because GW is shifting toward far more dynamic model sculptures, which are generally proving popular at making models look really fancy.

Models have gone from that blocky "one cast sculpt" of metal to dynamic dancing/cavorting poses. Of course that comes with downsides (thin connection points; odd casting parting designs; less modularity etc....); but it has the upside that you get impressive models quicker.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/18 23:44:24


   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Overread wrote:
What you're looking at is the greater impact of Chapterhouse which wasn't just GW stopping putting stuff in codex that they didn't make, but also now perhaps taking a design choice to make designs less easily converted/added too with 3rd party parts.
That's part of no model = no rule. You cannot separate them, no matter how much you try.

   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






"No models, no rules" would be fine if they just had stopped making anymore datasheets with no models to match or with options that require you to buy third party bits or require decent modelling skills to create.

What it did though was delete dozens of things which have been around for years, some clearly intended and even advertised kit-bashes, some had official upgrade sprues or models in the past which simply aren't sold anymore, up to the point of crippling entire armies without providing replacements for the entries lost.

And the worst part of it all is that their pet armies got exceptions from the rule, while others were losing options that actually do have models, even to this day.

No matter what the concept could have been, there is nothing good to say about how GW implemented it.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in fi
Dakka Veteran






To bring this back to Necrons - I see that process very much in what happened to Crypteks - where we has all these awesome Cryptek varieties - and all they had to do was make a nice plastic kit like the old Warhammer Empire Wizard kit. They didn't - they made just one flavor of Cryptek in "Fine"cast - and the next codex all the crypteks were gone. They're only now coming back out.

Ironically they resin cryptek was a Cryptek of Destrcution back in the day - somewhat analogous to a Plasmancer. Then for 2 editions he was a generic Technomancer essentially. But now he's technically a Chronomancer because he's carrying a Chronomotron.
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

GW went from one extreme, were the best units of book got no model at all and there was no chance to buy something from the GW line up to convert it (looking at Thunderwolves in 5th were the only possible GW model was the Fantasy Metal Khorne General on Juggernaut, also a reason why Khorne Berserker armies using the SW rules was a thing as "Red" Wolves was a much easier conversion)

to the other extreme were everything gets a model but if the weapon option is not present there are no rules for it (or there are options that make no sense because an old model ist still around)

GW cannot even find a balance for their model design.....

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 Jidmah wrote:
"No models, no rules" would be fine if they just had stopped making anymore datasheets with no models to match or with options that require you to buy third party bits or require decent modelling skills to create.

What it did though was delete dozens of things which have been around for years, some clearly intended and even advertised kit-bashes, some had official upgrade sprues or models in the past which simply aren't sold anymore, up to the point of crippling entire armies without providing replacements for the entries lost.

And the worst part of it all is that their pet armies got exceptions from the rule, while others were losing options that actually do have models, even to this day.

No matter what the concept could have been, there is nothing good to say about how GW implemented it.


Nothing to add to that except , that GW also used it as an club for internal polticking on top of it.
In essence the only ones really hurt from it, Monetarily and in the freedom of adaptability is the playerbase.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Not Online!!! wrote:
 Jidmah wrote:
"No models, no rules" would be fine if they just had stopped making anymore datasheets with no models to match or with options that require you to buy third party bits or require decent modelling skills to create.

What it did though was delete dozens of things which have been around for years, some clearly intended and even advertised kit-bashes, some had official upgrade sprues or models in the past which simply aren't sold anymore, up to the point of crippling entire armies without providing replacements for the entries lost.

And the worst part of it all is that their pet armies got exceptions from the rule, while others were losing options that actually do have models, even to this day.

No matter what the concept could have been, there is nothing good to say about how GW implemented it.


Nothing to add to that except , that GW also used it as an club for internal polticking on top of it.
In essence the only ones really hurt from it, Monetarily and in the freedom of adaptability is the playerbase.


internal politicking? please explain more.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





top down interventions in favour of sales f.e. (wraithknight debacle...)

Certainly the constant bickering between FW and GW.

The fact that over the whole edition FW units handled by the gw rulesteam got blatantly ignored in regards to FAQ or CA...

That is either politicking or incompetence of a massive magnitutde. and even though i don't think highly of GW's rules department that incompetent they are not.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/19 09:40:12


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Not Online!!! wrote:
top down interventions in favour of sales f.e. (wraithknight debacle...)

Certainly the constant bickering between FW and GW.

The fact that over the whole edition FW units handled by the gw rulesteam got blatantly ignored in regards to FAQ or CA...

That is either politicking or incompetence of a massive magnitutde. and even though i don't think highly of GW's rules department that incompetent they are not.



dude, what's going on with forgeworld has absolutely nothing to do with the chapter house Fiasco. if you wanna pin the blame on anything there, blame the sucess of the Horus Heresy leading GW to refocus Forgeworld on specialist games, instead of "botique minis" truthfully I expect them to slowly phase out any 40k and AOS mini's they currently sell as the molds age, unless the minis are in use for HH or another specialist game.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






When Primaris were near their beginning and different chapter’s Intercessor Sergeants got different melee weapon options depending on what was in that particular chapter’s upgrade bits pack.

I hate stuff like the Captains though where there’s not a list of options, there’s a list of load outs. Want a plasma pistol? You have to take a power fist, because that’s what was on the one model they sold. Ect.

I don’t mind “No model no rules” for like a entry in its entirety. I just hate the finagled weapon options.

 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 AduroT wrote:
When Primaris were near their beginning and different chapter’s Intercessor Sergeants got different melee weapon options depending on what was in that particular chapter’s upgrade bits pack.
Near the beginning? It's still happening.

The Primaris Captain has a host of "loadouts" as so you accurately put them, but one of them is, and I quote:

"If this model is from the Dark Angel Chapter (or one of its successor Chapters), its master-crafted auto bolt rifle can be replaced with 1 special issue bolt carbine."

And that's because of this guy. No other reason.

Same applies to the Necron Overlord. You want an Overlord with a Resurrection Orb and a Hyperphase Glaive? Too bad! The model with the Hypherphase Glaive has a Tachyon Arrow, and the model with the Resurrection Orb has a Warscythe.

Because we, as 40k players, lack the brainpower and the imagination to ever enter a world where an Overlord can wield a Hyperphase Glaive a Res Orb at the same time without confusing himself, or a land where a non-Dark Angel Captain might have a special issue bolt carbine... whatever the feth that is!

It. Is. So. Damned. Asinine.

And there are people here trying to separate this from no model = no rule. I've got so many bridges to sell y'all. Get in line!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/19 13:40:40


   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 AduroT wrote:
When Primaris were near their beginning and different chapter’s Intercessor Sergeants got different melee weapon options depending on what was in that particular chapter’s upgrade bits pack.
Near the beginning? It's still happening.

The Primaris Captain has a host of "loadouts" as so you accurately put them, but one of them is, and I quote:

"If this model is from the Dark Angel Chapter (or one of its successor Chapters), its master-crafted auto bolt rifle can be replaced with 1 special issue bolt carbine."

And that's because of this guy. No other reason.

Same applies to the Necron Overlord. You want an Overlord with a Resurrection Orb and a Hyperphase Glaive? Too bad! The model with the Hypherphase Glaive has a Tachyon Arrow, and the model with the Resurrection Orb has a Warscythe.

Because we, as 40k players, lack the brainpower and the imagination to ever enter a world where an Overlord can wield a Hyperphase Glaive a Res Orb at the same time without confusing himself, or a land where a non-Dark Angel Captain might have a special issue bolt carbine... whatever the feth that is!

It. Is. So. Damned. Asinine.

And there are people here trying to separate this from no model = no rule. I've got so many bridges to sell y'all. Get in line!



Yeah, I remember in earlier editions where you can kit out your model how you want, not this arbitrary cookie cutter crap.
They are even doing it to Orks, an army is that supposed to be all about customization due to how anarchic they are, and its bs.

If GW was smart they would have all of the options in the kit and allow the player to do what he wants, but apparently that's beyond their competence.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/19 13:46:54


What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
They are even doing it to Orks, an army is that supposed to be all about customization due to how anarchic they are, and its bs.
Orks are the gold standard for this nonsense actually.

They released six - count 'em - six different buggies. No options. No alternate builds. Nothing. The Orks received 6 different buggy kits, rather than a buggy (or two) with lots of mix'n'match. The same people who designed kits like the Battlewagon, Flash Gitz, and even the basic Trukk or Mek Gunz are not the same people who gave the Orks 6 monopose option-less vehicles. The Orks, FFS.


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/19 13:52:01


   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
They are even doing it to Orks, an army is that supposed to be all about customization due to how anarchic they are, and its bs.
Orks are the gold standard for this nonsense actually.

They released six - count 'em - six different buggies. No options. No alternate builds. Nothing. The Orks received 6 different buggy kits, rather than a buggy (or two) with lots of mix'n'match. The same people who designed kits like the Battlewagon, Flash Gitz, and even the basic Trukk or Mek Gunz are not the same people who gave the Orks 6 monopose option-less vehicles. The Orks, FFS.




i miss those kits.
I remember when the GW ork planes came out, such nice models. so many options to customize...

Nowadays you have to be happy if you even get the full barebones loadout for customizable squads ...

i also miss anarchic factions in general, ...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
They are even doing it to Orks, an army is that supposed to be all about customization due to how anarchic they are, and its bs.
Orks are the gold standard for this nonsense actually.

They released six - count 'em - six different buggies. No options. No alternate builds. Nothing. The Orks received 6 different buggy kits, rather than a buggy (or two) with lots of mix'n'match. The same people who designed kits like the Battlewagon, Flash Gitz, and even the basic Trukk or Mek Gunz are not the same people who gave the Orks 6 monopose option-less vehicles. The Orks, FFS.




I agree with you in general, and I know this is a popular example, but it's just wrong.
I have build and painted every single one of the ork buggies. I'd even wager that most of them were made by the same guy who originally designed the trukk because the way the motor, the drivers, the wheels and the rollcages are made is extremely similar in style. The megatrakk scrapjet is comparable in style to the jets and just as pose-able as them. The squig buggy actually allows you to put some of the passengers, a pile of squigs and the only snotling model currently available in 40k anywhere you wish. The SJD can be modified by removing or replacing parts of it.
What options does the trukk have? A wrekkin' ball and the now defunct boarding planks, otherwise it's just as posable as the kustom boosta blasta.
If you really want to build your own ramshackle fleet of buggies, they seem to be made with just that in mind. Wheels can be freely switched across them, the tubes for rollcages can be partially assembled and fit into pieces of other buggies and motors are separate bits with detail all around so you can put them in exposed places without looking at blank plastic.
Death Guard vehicles don't have that luxury, every single piece has to be in the right place or they look like gak.

On top of that, if you had only one or two different kits with options, an army of nine buggies+wartrike would definitely look less diverse than it does now. Just look at any army running 4-5 battlewgons, 6+ trukks, 9 kanz or 12-18 mek guns how much difference options and posable crew makes.

I do understand and agree with your gripe for the modern infantry models with one leg attached to a weapon (fethin' plague marines), but ork buggies are by far the worst example to pick. They are perfectly fine models that can easily compare with classics like trukks or battlewagons.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Jidmah wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
They are even doing it to Orks, an army is that supposed to be all about customization due to how anarchic they are, and its bs.
Orks are the gold standard for this nonsense actually.

They released six - count 'em - six different buggies. No options. No alternate builds. Nothing. The Orks received 6 different buggy kits, rather than a buggy (or two) with lots of mix'n'match. The same people who designed kits like the Battlewagon, Flash Gitz, and even the basic Trukk or Mek Gunz are not the same people who gave the Orks 6 monopose option-less vehicles. The Orks, FFS.




I agree with you in general, and I know this is a popular example, but it's just wrong.
I have build and painted every single one of the ork buggies. I'd even wager that most of them were made by the same guy who originally designed the trukk because the way the motor, the drivers, the wheels and the rollcages are made is extremely similar in style. The megatrakk scrapjet is comparable in style to the jets and just as pose-able as them. The squig buggy actually allows you to put some of the passengers, a pile of squigs and the only snotling model currently available in 40k anywhere you wish. The SJD can be modified by removing or replacing parts of it.
What options does the trukk have? A wrekkin' ball and the now defunct boarding planks, otherwise it's just as posable as the kustom boosta blasta.
If you really want to build your own ramshackle fleet of buggies, they seem to be made with just that in mind. Wheels can be freely switched across them, the tubes for rollcages can be partially assembled and fit into pieces of other buggies and motors are separate bits with detail all around so you can put them in exposed places without looking at blank plastic.
Death Guard vehicles don't have that luxury, every single piece has to be in the right place or they look like gak.

On top of that, if you had only one or two different kits with options, an army of nine buggies+wartrike would definitely look less diverse than it does now. Just look at any army running 4-5 battlewgons, 6+ trukks, 9 kanz or 12-18 mek guns how much difference options and posable crew makes.

I do understand and agree with your gripe for the modern infantry models with one leg attached to a weapon (fethin' plague marines), but ork buggies are by far the worst example to pick. They are perfectly fine models that can easily compare with classics like trukks or battlewagons.


I was not aware that the wheels were interchangeable between kits. Interesting.
The Dethkilla Wartrike is still kind of dull though, and the whole nonsense in the 8th ed book where you don't have a Mega Armored Warboss and no generic mek option because there isn't a current model for it is still a load of crap. Of course, in true GW fashion they give you back the mek option, but only if you buy a campaign book for it

GW just isn't friendly to proper kitbashing that goes beyond a simple headswap anymore. Which means they aren't friendly towards how Orks are supposed to be. Its why for the longest time Orks were missing some of their options, because you were expected to make your own (see: Looted Wagon, which is still Open Play only for some stupid reason), and the new policy punishes them for it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/19 15:20:27


What I have
~4100
~1660

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike






 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
(see: Looted Wagon, which is still Open Play only for some stupid reason), and the new policy punishes them for it.


I doubt this is the reason. Every additional orks rule is open play only, even if the model is currently sold by GW(Grukk Face-Rippa) and all other factions do get to use the models from the same source in matched play (BSF).

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in gb
Sneaky Lictor



UK

Did anyone heard anything about digital enchanted edition Codex? There are only physical book only with datasheet code for w40k app so far.

My W40K armys 6000+ 2000 4000+ 2500 3000+ 1500 500 5 Imperial Knight 200+ 500+ 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: