Switch Theme:

"Heads-up: Price Adjustment, New Releases!" - GW  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kanluwen wrote:
SamusDrake wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:

This is a shortsighted thing for you to have done, unless you're going to take the time to walk your coworker through the basics of building, painting, and playing. And "focusing on eBay" isn't a good way to introduce someone to any miniatures game as the prices range from stupidly low to stupidly high.


If he can get stuff for stupidly low...?

I like how you ignore the first part(because spoiler, I doubt he'll be willing to sit down and take the time to walk the coworker through the basics) and the other part("stupidly high").
Why not as he would be saving money.

Because it leads to the nonsense of people expecting stuff to be rockbottom prices, to the point where even independents are considered "overpriced".


I ignored them because they have no relevance on where he obtains his miniatures - he still has the same problem of learning the craft whether he purchases the items from ebay, GW or an independent.

If he purchases them for stupidly low then its no longer a question of stupidly high - and just isn't a problem. In that case he gets his item cheap. Full stop.

Lastly, there is no expectation if hes using EBay as people naturally use it to see if they can either obtain an item thats rare or discontinued or if they can get it cheaper. Just because hes new to Warhammer doesn't mean he is new to EBay. Its no big secret EBay is full of cheap, 2nd hand stuff. Unless its another independent trader on EBay selling cheaper, then its obvious to everyone using EBay for the last two decades that its going to cost more - first hand, should they buy it from a retailer - indie or big chain.


Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

You would think that would be evident, but it's not. The number of times I've heard people in hobby shops complaining that they can't get stuff for the same as some eBay or Amazon seller is higher than it should be.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






BOHICA.

Time to stop buying and push away from the table. Were back to 2007 again.



At Games Workshop, we believe that how you behave does matter. We believe this so strongly that we have written it down in the Games Workshop Book. There is a section in the book where we talk about the values we expect all staff to demonstrate in their working lives. These values are Lawyers, Guns and Money. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kanluwen wrote:
You would think that would be evident, but it's not. The number of times I've heard people in hobby shops complaining that they can't get stuff for the same as some eBay or Amazon seller is higher than it should be.


Well I'm still at odds with the logic, but I do have a respect for experience. Fair play to you, Kanluwen.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

SamusDrake wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
You would think that would be evident, but it's not. The number of times I've heard people in hobby shops complaining that they can't get stuff for the same as some eBay or Amazon seller is higher than it should be.


Well I'm still at odds with the logic, but I do have a respect for experience. Fair play to you, Kanluwen.

It might be a US thing, but it's...not great. The argument usually goes from eBay/Amazon to recasters pretty quick when the 'new hotness' is Forge World related.

Regarding the whole walking a person through the basics thing? It's one thing for someone being able to talk up their hobby--it's another to be able to teach someone the basics. A lot of us are advanced enough to have built up tricks or ways of easing the workload for ourselves that might work for us but not for someone else. I had been starting to teach a few people airbrushing before this whole nonsense and it was hard to differentiate my way of doing things from the basic way to do things.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kanluwen wrote:


Regarding the whole walking a person through the basics thing? It's one thing for someone being able to talk up their hobby--it's another to be able to teach someone the basics. A lot of us are advanced enough to have built up tricks or ways of easing the workload for ourselves that might work for us but not for someone else. I had been starting to teach a few people airbrushing before this whole nonsense and it was hard to differentiate my way of doing things from the basic way to do things.


I think its good you took others under your wing. I notice modern GW stores(here in the UK) making an effort to teach the young'uns but its usually a self-taught thing. An art student would most likely have a head start, but most of us would see an amazing model in White Dwarf, buy it, slap it together and paint it...hmmm. Never quite 'Eavy Metal standard, sadly. And thats the point when we either resigned ourselves or just solidered on until we improved.

All I can say is that Youtube is an absolute godsend.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Well armed with the new price bloat, larger than a great unclean one, I look forward to tomorrow announcements just to be utterly floored by how outrageous the costs will be. I can't wait to sleep in, and pick up the information second hand as even if it rocks my world It'll be shamefully over costed and hyped to heck and back.

I really miss the days I had genuine excitement for a new release. That I planned how many new boxes I'd get Now ? Not a chance I'd think that anymore as even a box of standard guard will be pushing ever upwards till they cost as much as space marines.

How a company can so completely talk out of their own rear end is quite the feet. I wonder if their talking heads ever feel bad to try and act like one of us peddling such a companies lies and bull crap. I mean I get we all got to make a living and maybe I'm just not cut out for the world as it is but I'd feel bad. Telling someone what an awesome value 10 ancient Cadian Guard models are, before they remake the kit for 60$ " NEW" horde infantry.
   
Made in us
Leader of the Sept






Yknow, not that bad, mostly big kits that where a whole paycheck or hobby budget anyway, a few weird things, but alot of is either incredibly expensive it liekly wont matter. and os in expensive that a buck or 2 wont matter.

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





GOD forbid they do traitor guard a faction Designed and described as more hordy then hordes more often.

Could you imagine that? I allready can See 50 £ for 10 models that equate to 40 pts at Max Equipment.
;

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/22 21:17:42


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I already see it coming. When they ever re do the Guard, my god those prices will soar through the heavens. It'll be a new kind of madness for chaff infantry.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm curious how many people here play more than one Games Workshop game, because it seems like maybe the people most okay with this price increase only play one game, or even just one army in one game.

I used to engage with almost every GW game line, and it became impossible to do so - and it wasn't just the price. The number of releases you needed for each game system increased. Like, now, every game system seems to get an annual. AoS has faction terrain and endless spells. KT and Warcry have killzones/ravaged lands. Underworlds spreads out cards among different warband packs. Warcry also has card sets to play legacy factions. Some of these games have specialized dice that are sold separately (or included in starter sets which disappear after two months). The Necromunda tactics cards are pretty cool, but they don't even last one week. Not to mention that you now have to have a subscription to White Dwarf to get all the content (like fyreslayers for Warcry).

The idea that the core experience of a GW game is just a rulebook, codex, and models is kind of out of date. And that would be troublesome, but not deal breaking if you only played one game system - but if you play multiple systems, it can be an overwhelming burden (made worse by the constant, unrelenting onslaught of price increases).

It's obvious that GW doesn't expect people to play every game they make - it is financially impossible at this point - but if you keep up with two or three, this isn't another $5 for a single model. This is probably an extra $100-$200 a year per game system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/22 21:49:27


 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I already see it coming. When they ever re do the Guard, my god those prices will soar through the heavens. It'll be a new kind of madness for chaff infantry.

It's already high if you don't have bits for heavy weapons teams or special weapons.
$35(Cadian/Catachan Squad)+$35(Command Squad)+$40(Heavy Weapon Squad) unless you go for bits sellers.

You'd be looking at $44 or $50 for all the options with any new Guard kit, assuming they keep it at 10 models(which isn't guaranteed).
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Stonecold Gimster






 Kanluwen wrote:
Shame they can't troll their way to producing better miniatures.


Ah.. white knight to the rescue.
GW is safe again.

Sheesh.

My Painting Blog: http://gimgamgoo.com/
Currently most played: Silent Death, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Dracula's America, Bolt Action, X-Wing 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Gimgamgoo wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
Shame they can't troll their way to producing better miniatures.


Ah.. white knight to the rescue.
GW is safe again.

Sheesh.

Yeah after that comment I decided to browse the selection real quick and they really aren't bad.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper




Austria

we are at the point were costum 3rd party resin models are cheaper than GW plastic

once you bought 3rd party Guard models because GW only offered 2 sets with no variation
now you can buy them because they are cheaper

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in us
Rogue Daemonhunter fueled by Chaos






Macon, GA

I have multiple painted Mantic armies, and I gotta agree: the quality of the kits simply isn’t as high. They dont build as easily, the detail is often soft, the poses can be goofy, and the design aesthetic is all over the map.

Mantic has a niche, but it’s a cheaper product in every way.

My Painted Armies
: Co. B, 37th Praetorian IG: 21,000pts
KOW Ogres: 4500 points
Loyalist Emperor's Children: 2500 points 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Polonius wrote:
I have multiple painted Mantic armies, and I gotta agree: the quality of the kits simply isn’t as high. They dont build as easily, the detail is often soft, the poses can be goofy, and the design aesthetic is all over the map.

Mantic has a niche, but it’s a cheaper product in every way.

They also aren't like GW, which isn't at THAT higher a quality to be charging as much as they do, so your defense is bad.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Calm Celestian





Kansas

 Sqorgar wrote:
I
I used to engage with almost every GW game line, and it became impossible to do so - and it wasn't just the price. The number of releases you needed for each game system increased.


I used be that way as well. Besides large 40K armies, I had multiple armies for Warmaster, every Battlefleet Gothic fleet with every option, Mordheim bands, several Necromunda gangs, you name it. I think I have just as much build and paint time now, and percentage wise more disposable income- but I simply can't keep up anymore. The cost for a character model is crazy high and there's just too many releases, too often.

   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





I don't think you would have that problem if you didn't play space marines

   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept





 Red Corsair wrote:
So GW offered gift vouchers providing a 5-10% discount as a way to continue sales while production was down, only to re-open and within a couple of weeks increase prices 5-10% and also before any of the new or interesting things are out?

Yet there are people questioning why folks are upset, citing past outrage as if it even remotely applies to the largest global economic downtrend in a lifetime?

Oh but guys, a thread back in 2006 had some peeps complaining about prices, so you guys must be wrong despite the fact there wasn't mass unemployment then. Geeze.


That’s something I forgot about. The value proposition those vouchers presented will no longer be the same come June so anyone that actually purchased any should definitely cash them out before then.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Dentry wrote:
That’s something I forgot about. The value proposition those vouchers presented will no longer be the same come June so anyone that actually purchased any should definitely cash them out before then.
Unless you bought Forge World vouchers that is... but then again I've not bought a thing from FW since they fethed over the rest of the world by making our products more expensive for no reason.

Not Online!!! wrote:
Could you imagine that? I allready can See 50 £ for 10 models that equate to 40 pts at Max Equipment.
The worst part being that said new Guard would probably end up looking like the Warriors from this set. "That means they'll look awesome. What's the problem with that?" Sure, 10 of them do look pretty damned awesome. But when you've got 60+ on the table and you realise it's the same 10 poses repeated over and over again it suddenly won't be so awesome...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/23 02:49:57


   
Made in ca
Experienced Saurus Scar-Veteran





California the Southern

Honestly Mantic's latest plastics have been a serious step up in improvement. Not GW level yet, but leaps and bounds beyond their early offerings. Go check out the Abyssal Dwarf or Northkin sprues.

It's crazy to think it's cheaper to get boutique resins in some cases than an actual plastic squad now.

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

I paid less for my Kingdom Death Dragon King (with additional human form, slaves and armor survivor set) than GW wants for one goblin character. It’s nuts when you think about it.


And yes, Kingdom Death plastics are GW-tier quality.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Hell, I got a 15mm scales Dreamforge Leviathan, a plastic kit of superior quality, for about the price of a Space Marine terminator librarian.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 05:03:37


   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
I paid less for my Kingdom Death Dragon King (with additional human form, slaves and armor survivor set) than GW wants for one goblin character. It’s nuts when you think about it.


And yes, Kingdom Death plastics are GW-tier quality.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Hell, I got a 15mm scales Dreamforge Leviathan, a plastic kit of superior quality, for about the price of a Space Marine terminator librarian.


Well, the Dragon King is what, $150 from the store? It’s huge, and very good quality, not saying anything negative about it, I’m just confused as to which goblin character is more expensive than that?
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Oh man, that’s crazy. I’m pretty sure I got him for like $25 during the Kickstarter. I thought maybe he’d been bumped up to $75, which would still be a great deal...but $150 is almost as much as the core set. Never mind then.

   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Oh man, that’s crazy. I’m pretty sure I got him for like $25 during the Kickstarter. I thought maybe he’d been bumped up to $75, which would still be a great deal...but $150 is almost as much as the core set. Never mind then.


Well, the core set is $400 at full price haha. The first Kickstarter prices were insane for what the product actually ended up being.
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Alright, I withdraw the Kingdom Death comparison. My bad.

   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

Whelp, GW just lost another sale. Picked up some Mantic vehicles for my marines & IG for about 1/2 what it would cost me from GW. That taps me out from any consideration of buying the forthcoming AdMech cavalry or flopter.

This seems such a reversal from the Apocalypse sets they were dropping last year. Glad I finished bulking out some of my armies with those before a price hike.

I was hoping some day we'd see the (beautiful) Black Coach in a Start Collecting set so it would be a "reasonable" enough price to grab, but instead they're raising it's price? No thanks, GW.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
Incorporating Wet-Blending





UK

GW pricing is okay for skirmish games, but with the mass battle games, it's mostly older players with established collections + sunk cost fallacy + "no-one will play anything else" fallacy that keeps it going. So many other choices nowadays, and that's before you look at 3d printing nibbling away at the margins.

They've made some good decisions over the last few years ( specialist games, contrast paints), but overall the business model keeps getting more capitalistic, loads of limited release minis at £35 a pop to get those FOMO buyers wallets open, heck there's even loot crates with ultra-rares and a game system with CCG-style blocks to cycle in the new set every 18 months. I do wonder when they'll start offering "GW premium" where you subscribe to get exclusive digital content and minis only sold to paid-up members.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/23 12:26:25


 
   
Made in fr
Fresh-Faced New User





Goodbye GW. You gave me hope at the release of V8 and the start collecting (before they went in price) but again you go too far.

I guess if you play the game a lot in tournament etc you can't go proxy but I barely play nowadays.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: