Switch Theme:

Warhammer The Old World : Cathay trailer, page 128  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

 Grimskul wrote:
chaos0xomega wrote:
We've already had that dialogue. Theres plenty of it online, search around for "Sum Ting Wong", "Ho Lee Fuk", "Cream of Sum Yung Gai", "Ching Chong"/"Ching Chang Chong", etc. and you can find plenty of discussion and discourse about how and why its offensive, some of it pretty well researched and going back into history like 100+ years discussing how these sorts of phrases and similar were used to alienate, initmidate, and oppress asian immigrants, etc (especially that last one - ching chong has a long history of problems behind it, going back to early 20th century at least where it was used in a literal nursery rhyme : "Ching Chong, Chinaman, Sitting on a wall. Along came a white man, and chopped off his tail" other variants with "And chopped his head off", etc.). You can read plenty of thoughts from other Chinese (as well as other asian ethnicities that were mislabeled as Chinese) about why its a problem or how they are personally hurt by it.

Drop the virtue signaling nonsense. Its not the "I win" button that you seem to think it is. As someone who is latino I've taken my fair share of verbal abuse about my ethnicity, heritage, and culture. I don't suffer it to be done to myself or my people, I'm not going to suffer it be done to others either, even if there are individuals who don't mind it. While I'm not Mexican (or for that matter, mesoamerican), I am of Taino (carribean native) heritage and I can say it would be incredibly insulting to see my own heritage - which was basically driven to extinction by Europeans - treated in such a manner. Likewise, I know quite a few people who are of mesoamerican descent (primarily Mayan, but I know a few Nahua as well), and this is the kind of gak that would absolutely hurt and/or piss off most of them if they came across it. They have a long and proud history which was basically obliterated by white dudes who felt entitled to do whatever they wanted with their land and culture, and now all thats left of it is are ruins and gakky "jokes" made by butchering their ancestral language? Puh-lease.

Likewise, "YoU cHoOsE tO bE oFfEnDeD" is a load of bs that people use to absolve themselves of accountability, ownership, and and responsibility for their own gakky actions and behaviors. You cannot control your emotions (unless you're a sociopath), you do not choose to be hurt or decide what your emotional response to what someone else says to you is. If something is going to hurt or offend you, its going to hurt or offend you - there is no choice to be made there. What you do have a choice in is what you do with that hurt. The whole "you choose to be offended" meme comes from a speech given by Elder David Bednar of the Church of Jesis Christ and Latter Day Saints (i.e. Mormons) - the point he was making wasn't "make a choice not to have hurt feelings", it was "make a chocie about how you respond when your feelings are hurt" - in this context "being offended" is not referring to a state of being or an emotional response, its referring to the actions you take when you suffer that emotional response. The main point of "choosing not to be offended" was to not allow the hurt that others caused you to continue to harm you after the fact, with the specific example being people who were offended by the words or actions of other parishioners and choosing not to go to church in order to avoid encountering them again. Choosing not to be offended meant meant going to church anyway so you could enjoy the gospel or whatever in community with your loved ones, even in spite of being hurt by others present with you. As it stands, the chocie being made when people speak out against something they find offensive is the choice to fight back against an attacker rather than being a victim.

Even if you could choose to control your emotions - that would be a value judgement that needs to be made by an inidvidual, not something you get to dictate to them and dismiss as over-sensitivity, etc. If they chose to be offended by something, then that would be a valid choice which you would have to respect and take responsibility for.

Sure hope people won't mind me calling doom divers World Trade Fliers from now on, after all it's just a funny name.


I said/did something along those lines to someone who was once a very good friend last year to prove a point (no longer on speaking terms as a result). He's basically the poster boy for "feth your feelings" and "YoU cHoOsE tO bE oFfEnDeD". Believe me when I tell you that he could not have touched the proverbial pearls any tighter if he tried. I have never seen *anyone* get (or maybe it would be better to say "choose to be") that offended and riled up so quickly, nor had I ever seen him attempt to resort to physical violence against someone - and the two of us had seen quite a bit of gak together. The great irony in all this is that I had a front row seat to the events of 9/11 from my 7th grade classroom window and lost family and friends in the attacks. He was on the other side of the country and watched it on tv.

Just goes to show you the people who blow off about choosing to be offended are full of hot air.


And there it is. It's not really about the people you claim to care about, its you projecting your own victim mentality onto the game and how it could be somehow construed as an attack on Mexican people. You assume some bizarre position of moral superiority and self-imposed defender position


lolwut? swing and a miss on that victim mentality moral superiority crap. Its not the 1990s anymore, having the emotional intelligence of a peanut doesn't make you cool or edgy or more enlightened than the normies. Theres nothing "victim mentality" about saying this - quite literally saying "this doesn't harm me at all but I recognize how it can harm others" is by definition *not* victim mentality, which is very specifically centered about perceiving *yourself* as a victim of other peoples actions. In reality, its called empathy - try it some time.

for something no one has even really raised as a problem besides yourself. You're not some kind of martyr for getting upset on other people's behalf and honestly its even more belittling when you're not even part of the group that's supposed to be offended.


Here, have a gander at all the no ones that haven't raised a problem:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/14/330769890/how-ching-chong-became-the-go-to-slur-for-mocking-east-asians
https://www.gq.com/story/korean-fathers-lessons-self-defense
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2013/07/asiana-ktvu-lawsuit-airline-to-sue-network-for-sum-ting-wong-wi-tu-lo-ho-lee-fuk-and-bang-ding-ow-report.html
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/21/senator-removes-racial-joke-instagram-month-later/83332736/

and thats from just 15 seconds on google.

Has anyone before actually had an issue with the TikTaq,To name until you brought it up?


To be clear, I'm *not* the one who brought up the Tiktaq'to thing, so yeah clearly other people have an issue with it, I only piled on after a number of others brought it up.

The name has been in print since when WFB was still being supported back in 7th edition. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then or now.


"The Golliwog was a popular childrens character in toys, books, comics, and artwork at the turn of the 20th century and entire generations grew up with it. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then."
"Racial segregation used to be widespread public policy with lots of public support. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then."
"Blackface used to be a popular form of comedic entertainment. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then."
"Lynching black people used to be a family affair that would bring together an entire community. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then."
"Keeping people as slaves used to be a sign of wealth and status. I don't remember there being any moral outrage back then."

Just because you weren't aware of the moral outrage doesn't mean it didn't exist, likewise just because something was accepted at the time doesn't mean that it can't be re-evaluated and recognized as being unacceptable at a later date. Speaking candidly I used to think gak like Tiktaq'to, Itzi-Bitzi, and Tehenhauin (pronounced along the lines of teeny weenie) was hilarious. Then I grew up and began to recognize how indirect and unintentional insensitivity feeds into a wider and farther reaching system of injustice and oppression which devalues the worth of individuals, artwork, culture, and history of out-groups to the benefit of in-groups.

The self-righteousness that comes from fighting the perceived injustices from non-existent problems shows that the idea of the "white-man's burden" has managed to transmit over to other races fairly well.


Why don't you try having this discussion without relying on tired and predictable rightwing cudgels like "self-righteousness", "moral superiority", "victim mentality", "virtue signaling", etc. Try having an original thought and building an argument that doesn't rely on trying to slander the mindset of the person you're speaking to for cheap points.

that's kind of the whole charm and character for when they were written


I don't think that word means what you think it means.

 Albino Squirrel wrote:
Yeah, with those kinds of people I find it usually is projection. Somehow a joke name is offensive to a culture, but generalizing a culture as being insensitive is just fine. This is why I put the "virtue signaling" or "SJW" people on ignore. By and large they are really just bad people.


Thats rich coming from one of the most intolerant, thin-skinned, and generally insufferable posters on dakka.

 Grimskul wrote:
 CMLR wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 CMLR wrote:
As a third world country, playing Warhammer is like eating lobster.
More proof that these kind of "problems" are entirely the provenance of people who simply aren't affected by them, or don't have enough real struggles in their life so find ways to be offended on the behalf of people who either don't know, don't care, or both!



Basically.

We only know about it if it is stupid mainstream for first world.

Warhammer is pretty much unknown here and if we are not native speakers, the jokes will fly over our heads as much as our jokes will fly over yours.

People losing it for us is not flattering, is stupid.

Yet again, we have free health care and we never got into racial problems for some reason, so you win some and lose some.


Thanks for sharing this. Some people in this thread need to read this and see that their moral grandstanding isn't something that's looked well upon by the people they're supposedly representing/fighting for.

Though inb4 someone says you're a minority of your own people and that your opinion is invalid for not following their narrative.


Wow. Moral grandstanding huh?



FYI - "Mexican" is not synonymous with "Aztec" or for that matter, Mayan, Nahua, Zapotec, etc. Saying "hey look the Mexican dude is cool with it, so we're in the clear" is erasure. Its like if you said "redskin isn't a slur because the white dude from Montana said so" or "the term 'Maori job' isn't offensive because a white New Zealander said so, etc. We aren't talking about the spanish language or Mexican people, we're talking about a specific population of people, the majority of which happen to exist in Mexico and Central America but still make up less than 1% of the population of those regions (in large part because of their displacement and destruction by Spanish and European colonists) and continue to suffer from discrimination and disadvantage. As CMLR said, playing Warhammer in Mexico is like eating lobster - if you're indigenous in Mexico then its more like eating literal gold given the huge disparity in socio-economic status between the indigenous and spanish-speaking populations. I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but given the Zapatistas (perhaps the largest and most influential organization of indigenous peoples within Mexico) stances on social justice and indigenous rights, etc. I would be inclined to think ththose made aware of warhammer and the treatment of their culture might take a position more similar to mine than yours.

So much for that free healthcare never getting into racial problems - half of an entire Mexican state has essentially be in rebellion against the Mexican government for the past 25 years and is governed as an autonomous region precisely because of race issues. We can also talk about that recent string of assassinations of indigenous rights activists, like Tomás Rojo Valencia and Simón Pedro Pérez López - seems like something that would be pretty racially motivated to me.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in au
Grizzled Space Wolves Great Wolf





I miss the days when this thread was talking about 10mm scale.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

AllSeeingSkink wrote:
I miss the days when this thread was talking about 10mm scale.


Flying mountains are stupid and I hate AoS

Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in us
Cold-Blooded Saurus Warrior




Xalapa, Veracruz

chaos0xomega wrote:


FYI - "Mexican" is not synonymous with "Aztec" or for that matter, Mayan, Nahua, Zapotec, etc. Saying "hey look the Mexican dude is cool with it, so we're in the clear" is erasure. Its like if you said "redskin isn't a slur because the white dude from Montana said so" or "the term 'Maori job' isn't offensive because a white New Zealander said so, etc. We aren't talking about the spanish language or Mexican people, we're talking about a specific population of people, the majority of which happen to exist in Mexico and Central America but still make up less than 1% of the population of those regions (in large part because of their displacement and destruction by Spanish and European colonists) and continue to suffer from discrimination and disadvantage. As CMLR said, playing Warhammer in Mexico is like eating lobster - if you're indigenous in Mexico then its more like eating literal gold given the huge disparity in socio-economic status between the indigenous and spanish-speaking populations. I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but given the Zapatistas (perhaps the largest and most influential organization of indigenous peoples within Mexico) stances on social justice and indigenous rights, etc. I would be inclined to think ththose made aware of warhammer and the treatment of their culture might take a position more similar to mine than yours.

So much for that free healthcare never getting into racial problems - half of an entire Mexican state has essentially be in rebellion against the Mexican government for the past 25 years and is governed as an autonomous region precisely because of race issues. We can also talk about that recent string of assassinations of indigenous rights activists, like Tomás Rojo Valencia and Simón Pedro Pérez López - seems like something that would be pretty racially motivated to me.


Do you even México, gringüito?

While there have been lots of unique cultures and civilizations all across territorio mexicano, we all tend to like to refer ourselves as "aztecas", no matter how far from Valle de México we actually are; it is a badge of pride, and then we add additional badges of pride by adding what other cultures our states and regions harboured, even including european colonists. In fact, legacy is a far more common value for us, provincianos, rather than chilangos/capitalinos, this increasing each generation.

Mayans are peninsular and central american, yet again Lizardmen are mayaincatec, because 'muhrica like to teach their citizen that their country actual name is "America", despite technically being "states that happen to be on the continent of America". We hispanos take a huge kappa against that. Also, México, Cuba and few central american and caribean countries are technically part of North America because there is such thing as tectonic plates.

Náhuatl people still exist, but Mexicas (aka "Aztecs") are quite the opposite, because caste systems from Spain diluted the entire civilization, and that resulted on our version of races (28 races, not just black and white), from which all of them got a gak life unless you were born in Spain, which is the reason why today we only talk gak about our skin colours as just that, gak talk, rather than actual racism.

The displaced people you are talking about are dropouts from the little help our goverment that ourselves voted for on free democracy for nearly 80 non-stop years that happen to live in the southernmost part of the country, right in the middle of a mountain chain of hard access in the middle of dense forests, precisely where los Zapatistas are kicking around.

We voted for this right wing party (btw, you, gringos, have a hard time with only two parties? we have at the very least 5 major parties per electoral cycle) because we had an open secret of "we steal you, but we let you steal too", making a country that is actually extremely rich but that has an absurd ratio of distribution of goods. Plenty of times some of the Top 10 richest men in Earth have been Mexicans.

Wanna know who invented colour TV? Can't remember the name, but he is Mexican.

Then we've got our drugs war, U.S. help with certain O. president that lend weapons to cartels and ended in gak and more.

I said that here Warhammer is like eating lobster, because it is quite expensive, but plenty of international brands are stupidly expensive too, so we rely heavily on piracy, getting stuff for us at fair prices that for you is dirt cheap. That why there were so many immigrants from our country decades ago: our money became gak thanks to one president making it drop harder than a Casandora Comet, because there was a time were Peso Mexicano was even stronger than U.S. Dollar, but then it all went to gak, and now we have to pay each year to own one single car, got in debt with plenty of countries and the money got worst, the dollar stayed the same, so we went to El Gabacho, picked the poorman jobs they didn't wanted to take, and send the money to México. Yankees ask us why don't we stay on México "because it is so cheap", then we tell them that it is cheap for them with their salary, but for our salary (currently, $14 U.S. min. per month) is barely enough.

Now? México has grown at an alarming rate; Ciudad de México is bigger than many of U.S. cities, is top 6 in I don't remember if overrall area, population density or sheer habitants, and really are not that different than 'merica with just having good, bad and ugly places. In fact, we can be pretty racist too, because we are your filter when it comes to central americans that try to go and live the long dead "The American Dream", and we are the ones who start to treat the immigrants like gak, and we are also starting to have an emergence of SJWs, #MeToo and other liberal stuff. People nowadays are far more worried about people screaming "puto" at soccer games (people's too stupid to realize that's an acronym for "prostitute", not synonym with "gay"), abortion, inclusive language and women been watched wrong on the streets, rather than narcos. I'm not gaking you.

México is not in sepia filter, nor is governed by capos. There sure are some states with major issues with narcos, and yes, tragically there are entire towns overrun by them and Grupos de Autodefensas, rebels because our goverment is gak, but we are not a Telemundo telenovela.

Happy Actual México Day too.

AllSeeingSkink wrote:
I miss the days when this thread was talking about 10mm scale.


I miss when yo could point out the silliness of the people for calling out AoS for being too fantastic and Fantasy better because it was grittier and better.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/16 04:07:37


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.



That's now my fav post in this thread.

Goose LeChance wrote:
Flying mountains are stupid and I hate AoS
I lied. This is now my fav post in the thread. Thanks for the laugh. I think we all needed that.



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/16 04:19:15


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
I mean, they have a Tzar, Streltsi, Boyars, Chekists, Druzhinas, Oblasts, Kreml etc. which are all Russian terms. Although they also have a dash of Cossacks, with "Ataman" being a Cossack term, and Ungols, who make up a significant chunk of Kislev, and who look very much like stereotypical Cossacks, with "Kossar", aka their foot soldiers, even being a butchery of "Cossack". The name "Kislev" itself is a play on the world "Kiev", which refrences the Kievan Rus, which in turn was named for the city of Kiev, modern Ukraine.

So not really, they're Russia-Cossacks with a dash of Poland, mostly in their cavalry.


That makes total sense; though I am a little disappointed as the Polish-Lithuanian common wealth doesn't get nearly as much love as it ought to given how interesting and powerful it was.

   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 Albino Squirrel wrote:
Yeah, with those kinds of people I find it usually is projection. Somehow a joke name is offensive to a culture, but generalizing a culture as being insensitive is just fine. This is why I put the "virtue signaling" or "SJW" people on ignore. By and large they are really just bad people.


Lol. You really don’t see the irony in what you just said?

Also, I’m British. And right now, I would say that the UK is definitely not a place known for its sensitivity and tact.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Carlovonsexron wrote:
That makes total sense; though I am a little disappointed as the Polish-Lithuanian common wealth doesn't get nearly as much love as it ought to given how interesting and powerful it was.
At the same time Warhammer Italy and Spain kinda of get pushed into irrelevance. And then there are the Border Princes which are European groups that don't even warrant a fake pseudo-country.

Ultimately it's probably not worth it to do a 1:1 translation of our world, so they pick the big notes and go from there.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in ru
Regular Dakkanaut




Cathay looks ok in the trailer. I like the flying units they have. The terracotta giant moves like he is of human scale. Infantry looks ok, but I’ll have trouble remembering any distinct features the next day.
All in all, I had hoped for something more gritty and evil. It’d be cool to have an evil human race in warhammer, that doesn’t pray to chaos gods. Dragon horses, terracotta warriors with daemon like faces, slave/serf infantry, Grail reliquae with a corpse of a small dragon instead of a knight, Lion jade golems. They could battle chaos just as well, while being evil… dark elves do it.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

SnotlingPimpWagon wrote:
The terracotta giant moves like he is of human scale.
I noticed this as well, but I think this is intentional. All the other big things in the game move like big things should (except the Jabberslythe... that thing is entirely unnatural!). Now it could obviously just be a cinematic and not representative of the final product, but I think it's interesting that they've chosen to represent them as being really fast.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in fi
Charging Wild Rider





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
That makes total sense; though I am a little disappointed as the Polish-Lithuanian common wealth doesn't get nearly as much love as it ought to given how interesting and powerful it was.
At the same time Warhammer Italy and Spain kinda of get pushed into irrelevance. And then there are the Border Princes which are European groups that don't even warrant a fake pseudo-country.
Speaking of, the only real disappointment for me with Cathay in the games (Total War/ToW) is that it will feature before we see more Tilea. The Empire clones in the Total War game that inhabit Tilea, Estalia and the Border Princes are a bore, and I'd love to see the proper Dogs of War and Regiments of Renown feature in the video game, and return to the table top. I can see the commercial reasons for GW not to merely bring back the old setting/ranges as they were and explore new realms instead, but I can't imagine too many people owned full DoW armies back in the day. While Cathay stretches the map further east, factions right in the heart of the known world being swept under the carpet is a shame. Especially when they have the terrific aesthetics of Italian armies around the year 1500 (pikes! pavises! fancy knights!), with weird mercenaries from nearly any other fantasy race thrown in for good measure, because why not. Cathay looks pretty good, and I have nothing against it, but it still leaves me cold for now. Dogs of War though, ooooh, yes please.

(Of course, CA did add Ogre mercenaries to the game recently. Perhaps that was not just a test for Ogres, but also for a Mercenary system that could be expanded to other dogs of war one day. Who knows what's in the pipeline...)
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I'm of the same mind as you when it comes to ignoring the factions that are right there, only in my case the one I want is Araby.

They're right smack bang in the middle of everything, yet they get nothing. Even more galling is that they actually had a Warmaster army, with miniature support, yet CA won't put them in the game.

It's a real shame because some of their background concepts are really cool, like the idea that the area is low on magic, so they have to capture Djinn to give them parity of power. Plus the Djinn themselves are very cool. Dreadfleet was a bad game, but that Arabyan ship whith the Wind Djinn blowing the sales, and the Fire Djinn (Ifrit, I guess) moving to attack was very cool.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Cronch wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:
Why is it the same damn people who spam politics in this thread every time it gets unlocked from the last damn time they pulled the same stunt?

IKR? Cancel culture this, cancel culture that, it's like you can't just name a cat in peace these days.

"In Peace" will always be an odd name for a cat.

 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
As for your analogy, there’s a big difference in context you are ignoring. If England had the same prior relationship with soccer hooligans that it did with China, you probably would see calls not to portray them so much as dumb, aggressive primitives.

When football hooligans - not fans as a whole, just the ruffians - stop behaving that way, we'll consider changing the portrayal. I imagine we'll meet back to discuss this around the year 3,000...

+++

Seeing an area we've had named on a map for many years get some attention is cool - sure, there are other areas you could point to and say "Why not these?", but seeing something new and different get developed is a good thing.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Inquisitor Gideon wrote:
Cronch wrote:
 Overread wrote:
I don't know where people are going with the names - so I'm just going to go read Asterix until the next big release of new info

Someone brought up that the Lizardmen names are almost all joke names and GW being british company, and british not being known for sensitivity or tact, might choose to go with the same naming convention for the chinese-inspired faction. I personally don't think it'll be the case, but the mere suggestion riled up the people that think anyone who doesn't find blackface or verbal equivalent funny is basically a marxist out to murder Western Civilization.

For people who love to go "facts not feelings" their feelings bruise surprisingly quickly.


> and british not being known for sensitivity or tact

Excuse you? Sweeping generalisations much?

Hey, I'm just telling how it is, snowflake. Don't get triggered, need some safe space to stare at all the stolen goods in the British Loot Museum?

It's hilarious how easy their fee-fees get hurt, but I guess they just can't take a joke these days. Don't forget to write the mods to cancel me. Literal 1984!
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

It looks like your program is malfunctioning

Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

"Aztec culture should be respected, despite the fact they're all dead and were bastards when alive. feth the British though, they have a museum."

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
"Aztec culture should be respected, despite the fact they're all dead and were bastards when alive. feth the British though, they have a museum."

Come on, it's all innocent fun, don't have such a thin skin.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






I miss when "be polite" and "stay on topic" were rules on instead of suggestions. Like, if they aren't going to be rules anymore I get that; I don't run the forum, their house their rules. But stop calling them rules when they clearly aren't, ya know?

Anyways, I will definitely be keen to see how these units are animated in game. The cut scenes may use the in-game engine but the units still have customized animations for the given cinematic (as well they should) that are far more intricate than how they move during gameplay. There is also how different things can look from the top-down zoomed-out viewpoint we take as players, and any further animation work that happens between now and release. Without seeing those things first-hand I don't feel justified passing judgement for good or ill.

Road to Renown! It's like classic Path to Glory, but repaired, remastered, expanded! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778170.page

I chose an avatar I feel best represents the quality of my post history.
ERJAK wrote:
...probably has a some amount of Nazi memorabilia, has many concerning opinions about racial and cultural minorities, and/or likely refers to women as 'females'.
--Saying this about another member does not violate Dakka's Rule #1, apparently. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

Cronch wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
"Aztec culture should be respected, despite the fact they're all dead and were bastards when alive. feth the British though, they have a museum."

Come on, it's all innocent fun, don't have such a thin skin.


My skin's thick as Lady Dimetrescu, I'm merely pointing out your double standards, for it is amusing.

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Cronch wrote:
 Inquisitor Gideon wrote:
Cronch wrote:
 Overread wrote:
I don't know where people are going with the names - so I'm just going to go read Asterix until the next big release of new info

Someone brought up that the Lizardmen names are almost all joke names and GW being british company, and british not being known for sensitivity or tact, might choose to go with the same naming convention for the chinese-inspired faction. I personally don't think it'll be the case, but the mere suggestion riled up the people that think anyone who doesn't find blackface or verbal equivalent funny is basically a marxist out to murder Western Civilization.

For people who love to go "facts not feelings" their feelings bruise surprisingly quickly.


> and british not being known for sensitivity or tact

Excuse you? Sweeping generalisations much?

Hey, I'm just telling how it is, snowflake. Don't get triggered, need some safe space to stare at all the stolen goods in the British Loot Museum?

It's hilarious how easy their fee-fees get hurt, but I guess they just can't take a joke these days. Don't forget to write the mods to cancel me. Literal 1984!


Oh I see. Now you've been called out, it's straight into defensive mode. Don't be so pathetic.
   
Made in gb
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





Scotland, but nowhere near my rulebook

Cronch wrote:
 Graphite wrote:

Also think that a big bit of Warhammer should be that while the Floating Bleeding Skull battles definitely happen, they shouldn't be so common that everyone just regards that as "Tuesday". Empire soldiers should be looking around muttering "Sigmar almighty, this is a bit crazy, isn't it?"

Empire soldiers, absolutely. Lizardmen? For them it IS just another tuesday. Empire soldier may see a magic sword from half a battlefield away, once in a lifetime. A bretonnian knight may know someone whose uncle has one. High Elf peasant? His plow is made from discarded Elven Doomed Hero Swords of Destiny.


Yes! And this comes back to the point made above about different areas of the world having different levels of technology/magic as standard.

(Though I actually think that Tuesday for the average Saurus is going to be Rat Patrol in the jungle for 7 hours, followed by a brief skirmish with a few Plague Monks)

The Empire, and to a lesser extent other human nations, have always been our "viewpoint" faction. Stuff that seems mindboggling us should seem mindboggling to them. Equally if you're a Cathayan peasant, 400 miles south of the Great Bastion, the most interesting thing you see that week might be a water buffalo. If you're a guard on the bastion itself, it may well be a case of "Bloody Tuesdays, here come the disc riding daemon maniacs again".

A good thing about magic etc. in Warhammer is that it ISN'T evenly distributed. Room for Mud Stabbing Goblins.
   
Made in us
Hurr! Ogryn Bone 'Ead!






Spoiler:
Cronch wrote:
 Inquisitor Gideon wrote:
Cronch wrote:
 Overread wrote:
I don't know where people are going with the names - so I'm just going to go read Asterix until the next big release of new info

Someone brought up that the Lizardmen names are almost all joke names and GW being british company, and british not being known for sensitivity or tact, might choose to go with the same naming convention for the chinese-inspired faction. I personally don't think it'll be the case, but the mere suggestion riled up the people that think anyone who doesn't find blackface or verbal equivalent funny is basically a marxist out to murder Western Civilization.

For people who love to go "facts not feelings" their feelings bruise surprisingly quickly.


> and british not being known for sensitivity or tact

Excuse you? Sweeping generalisations much?

Hey, I'm just telling how it is, snowflake. Don't get triggered, need some safe space to stare at all the stolen goods in the British Loot Museum?

It's hilarious how easy their fee-fees get hurt, but I guess they just can't take a joke these days. Don't forget to write the mods to cancel me. Literal 1984!


Cronch wrote:
 Wha-Mu-077 wrote:
"Aztec culture should be respected, despite the fact they're all dead and were bastards when alive. feth the British though, they have a museum."

Come on, it's all innocent fun, don't have such a thin skin.


Spoiler:
I hate to ruin the fun by explaining the joke, but it seems nobody has gotten it. Cronch here is just using some of the exact same arguments and logic leaps that people earlier in the thread have used to defend culturally insensitive naming schemes / scoff at fears of future culturally insensitive naming schemes. Its actually kind of amusing how some of the exact same people who were yelling that "tic tac toe" and "something wrong" are the peak of class and humor immediately had a visceral reaction to the exact same line of logic.


Graphite wrote:
Cronch wrote:
 Graphite wrote:

Also think that a big bit of Warhammer should be that while the Floating Bleeding Skull battles definitely happen, they shouldn't be so common that everyone just regards that as "Tuesday". Empire soldiers should be looking around muttering "Sigmar almighty, this is a bit crazy, isn't it?"

Empire soldiers, absolutely. Lizardmen? For them it IS just another tuesday. Empire soldier may see a magic sword from half a battlefield away, once in a lifetime. A bretonnian knight may know someone whose uncle has one. High Elf peasant? His plow is made from discarded Elven Doomed Hero Swords of Destiny.


Yes! And this comes back to the point made above about different areas of the world having different levels of technology/magic as standard.

(Though I actually think that Tuesday for the average Saurus is going to be Rat Patrol in the jungle for 7 hours, followed by a brief skirmish with a few Plague Monks)

The Empire, and to a lesser extent other human nations, have always been our "viewpoint" faction. Stuff that seems mindboggling us should seem mindboggling to them. Equally if you're a Cathayan peasant, 400 miles south of the Great Bastion, the most interesting thing you see that week might be a water buffalo. If you're a guard on the bastion itself, it may well be a case of "Bloody Tuesdays, here come the disc riding daemon maniacs again".

A good thing about magic etc. in Warhammer is that it ISN'T evenly distributed. Room for Mud Stabbing Goblins.


Yeah that is always the image I had of it - on average Warhammer is maybe a 7/10 on the high fantasy scale, but that is due to some areas/battlefields/factions having extremely high levels of magic/fantasy that are balanced out by large areas of land and peoples growing wheat and potatoes whose only experience with magic is some hedge wizard who comes by every harvest festival to do a magic show. There is room for both High and Low fantasy in Warhammer, and even some of the more fantastical stuff gets grounded in reality by the more baseline troops they bring with them.
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





H.B.M.C. wrote:
Cronch wrote:
... and british not being known for sensitivity or tact...
The hell???
Inquisitor Gideon wrote:
Cronch wrote:
> and british not being known for sensitivity or tact


Excuse you? Sweeping generalisations much?
It's true - we historically *are*. And because I'm a Brit, that's got to be accurate, right? Isn't this how this thing works?

Albino Squirrel wrote:Yeah, with those kinds of people I find it usually is projection. Somehow a joke name is offensive to a culture, but generalizing a culture as being insensitive is just fine. This is why I put the "virtue signaling" or "SJW" people on ignore. By and large they are really just bad people.
Oof, sounds like a generalisation to me...
Also, blocking and ignoring - sheesh, that sounds like CENSORSHIP!

Grimskul wrote:Some people in this thread need to read this and see that their moral grandstanding isn't something that's looked well upon by the people they're supposedly representing/fighting for.

Though inb4 someone says you're a minority of your own people and that your opinion is invalid for not following their narrative.
So the same works for me calling out the British, right? No point in non-Brits getting offended when I point out that we're pretty insensitive and tactless.

NinthMusketeer wrote:I miss when "be polite" and "stay on topic" were rules on instead of suggestions. Like, if they aren't going to be rules anymore I get that; I don't run the forum, their house their rules. But stop calling them rules when they clearly aren't, ya know?
Very much agreed - especially when we have comments from users outright stating "the more offensive, the better" - I mean, really, how on earth is that permitted to fly here?

Anyway, glad they're doing more cool stuff with the old world concept, and not just rehashing their old ideas again - if I'd want them to do anything with TOW property, it'd be this.

As for magic, WHFB was never "low fantasy", only that it has low fantasy elements, and uneven dispersal of those magical fantastical elements. The Empire, as the "human" faction probably led to a lot of "but it's low fantasy!", but even they had knights riding on fantastical beasts and battle mages. Compare and contrast to the High Elves, Skaven, or Lizardmen or Daemons, for who magic (or magical substances) were part and parcel of their daily lives.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/16 10:16:33



They/them

 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







There's no point arguing logic with reactionaries, cognitive dissonance is a requirement to be a reactionary in the fist place.

Posters on ignore list: 34

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

You guys are so strange, I don't think your making the points you think you are.

It seems a lot of Brits enjoy hating on themselves. It's really odd, but keep up the good work.

As a Canadian I think my fellow Canadians are quite awesome and we're lucky to live in such a Country

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/09/16 10:49:34


Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
SnotlingPimpWagon wrote:
The terracotta giant moves like he is of human scale.
I noticed this as well, but I think this is intentional. All the other big things in the game move like big things should (except the Jabberslythe... that thing is entirely unnatural!). Now it could obviously just be a cinematic and not representative of the final product, but I think it's interesting that they've chosen to represent them as being really fast.


Thats because they are reusing lu bu animations from Total War Three Kingdoms.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Goose LeChance wrote:
It seems a lot of Brits enjoy hating on themselves. It's really odd, but keep up the good work.
Ah, what was that bit about not getting offended on others' behalfs?


They/them

 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

?

I don't remember saying that, and I'm not offended by British people making fun of themselves.

Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





I know - I'm just re-iterating what others users have stated.


They/them

 
   
Made in se
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Galas wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
SnotlingPimpWagon wrote:
The terracotta giant moves like he is of human scale.
I noticed this as well, but I think this is intentional. All the other big things in the game move like big things should (except the Jabberslythe... that thing is entirely unnatural!). Now it could obviously just be a cinematic and not representative of the final product, but I think it's interesting that they've chosen to represent them as being really fast.


Thats because they are reusing lu bu animations from Total War Three Kingdoms.


economical reuse of existing assets, and it gets to imply a higher degree of refinement to their megagolems. truly two birds with one stone.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: