Switch Theme:

Codex Tyranids Tactica: The Shadow Falls, The Hive Fleets Gather. Worlds Devoured  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in no
Powerful Ushbati





Bergen

The narrative of unit X is bad does not really lend much to the discussion. I think having a different focus would be better.

But I do not think the Mawlock is that bad. It is the cheapest soruce of T6 3+ wounds. They are mobile. It does have the pop up attack. Combine it with other units that are though to kill and you can have a really good meaty list that is hard to kill. Focus on survival and it can become hard to kill all the nids.

I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon





NJ

The maleceptor is also surprisingly competitive. Cheap synapse with two casts and a 4++ on a tough platform. It needs to be Kraken of course but it also hits decently hard (even though WS 4+ with 3 attacks is nothing to really write home about).

In a vacuum it looks bad, but when you combine it with prepared positions and the fact that first turn Tyranids are almost certainly charging something, probably tying something else up, and generally greatly reducing enemy firepower plus making them deal with a giant blob of genestealers in their back line....well let’s just say that the maleceptor is going to be just fine for the time being. Additionally he likely will be -1 to hit from your friendly local malanthrope/venomthropes. Anyone want to shoot at a T7 -1 to hit 2+/4++?

Are there more efficient things to do with the points? Surely. But you could do a lot worse. I wouldn’t take it if I were trying to win a GT, but saying that I can’t win casual games with one or two in my list is categorically untrue.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/12/30 23:41:25


 
   
Made in us
Utilizing Careful Highlighting





Augusta GA

I win local tournaments with a Maleceptor in my list. I’m not gonna say it’s bleeding edge ultra competitive in my scene, but anything that wins me thirty bucks is okay in my book.
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




I also like the walkrant (mrc and venom canon) for my current Levi lists. He is is very durable with the Levi trait (reroll one roll per round, I usually reroll an invul save on a high dmg wound). He babysits the warrior spam lists (3*9 warriors) for when 1 big thing crashes into them
   
Made in ca
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine





Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hi Folks!

Fledgling Tyranid player here. A few of my local stores had some boxing day sales so I'm putting together (literally) a Nidzilla list to start out with. So far, here's what I've got for my Spearhead Detachment:

1x Flyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon
1x Tyrannofex - Acid Spray
1x Tyrannofex - Acid Spray
1x Trygon

If my math is correct, that's about 750 points exactly. A few questions for the Tyranid veterans out there ...

1) Would Kraken or Leviathan suit that list better?
2) Acid Spray or Rupture Cannon for the Tyrannofexes?
3) Recommendations for 250 points to fill out to 1000? The Swarmlord seems like the quickest option, but I'm wondering if there are more effective alternatives.

Thanks!

(Behemoth - 2,000 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 10-8-1 ~ ~8th Ed. Tournament Games: 2-4~

(Alpha Legion - 2,500 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 10-7-2 ~ ~ 8th Ed. Tournament Games: 3-5-2 ~
- Favourite Opponent - Local RTT Dec. 2018

(Vior'la Sept - 1,000 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 4-5-1 ~
- Medusa V Veterans, Konor Veterans
 
   
Made in no
Powerful Ushbati





Bergen

I would not recomend leviathan. You need more synaose for that.

Kronos i bad because the acid sprayvdoes not roll to hit.

At 1000 points the kraken item is quite good. As you increase the points of the games, less so.

I am a dyslectic, so bear with me.

Dyslectics in a text based environment? Dakka is aware of you and sympathises with any troubles you have: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/505863.page

Kronos biovore box fresh sporemines. Denying psykick powers since 2017.

 
   
Made in ca
Dusty Skeleton




Canada

 orchewer wrote:
Hi Folks!

Fledgling Tyranid player here. A few of my local stores had some boxing day sales so I'm putting together (literally) a Nidzilla list to start out with. So far, here's what I've got for my Spearhead Detachment:

1x Flyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon
1x Tyrannofex - Acid Spray
1x Tyrannofex - Acid Spray
1x Trygon

If my math is correct, that's about 750 points exactly. A few questions for the Tyranid veterans out there ...

1) Would Kraken or Leviathan suit that list better?
2) Acid Spray or Rupture Cannon for the Tyrannofexes?
3) Recommendations for 250 points to fill out to 1000? The Swarmlord seems like the quickest option, but I'm wondering if there are more effective alternatives.

Thanks!


I replied to you other post, but here it goes:

Swarmlord would be a good choice here I think. It could slingshot himse4lf into combat quickly and wreck things without getting shot too much. The Acid Spray Fexes could try to clear any screen in front of targets.

I would go for Leviathan here myself. Very few models, but all the army will benefit from it and would be harder to take down. And if you elect the Flyrant as the Warlord, Levi trait cold be nice and possibly the Miasma Cannon for him too!

Tomb Kings army - Over 10,000pts
Vampire Counts army - About 8,000pts
Tyranids army - Under construction, but around 5,000pts already. 
   
Made in mx
Rampaging Carnifex



Mexico

You can never go wrong with some gants to cover your monsters from charges. If you want more monsters then I would say Carnifexes.

The weapons depends on the meta. The Acid Spray is an amazing defensive weapon, but the Rupture Cannon is better if your have to deal with enemy T8.
   
Made in us
Utilizing Careful Highlighting





Augusta GA

I’d honestly say go Jormungandr instead. The 2+ cover save on those tyrannofexes will prevent more damage than the 6+ FNP, and you can bring in a ton of units with the Trygon to alpha strike something.

I’m thinking of trying out two Tyrannocytes full of Pyrovores. They’re 10” flamers so they can reach out and touch what they want to, and crowding them around the tyrannocyte means you have to charge both units which is a ton of str 5 overwatch.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/31 20:23:14


 
   
Made in mx
Rampaging Carnifex



Mexico

Tyrannocites are too expensive for 3 Pyrovores.

One of the biggest problems of the unit is it low model count. GW should increase to at least 6 max (plus they would get to sell even more Pyrovores).

We have similar problems with Lictors and Biovores.
   
Made in ca
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine





Vancouver, BC, Canada

Niiai wrote:I would not recomend leviathan. You need more synaose for that.

Kronos i bad because the acid sprayvdoes not roll to hit.

At 1000 points the kraken item is quite good. As you increase the points of the games, less so.


Skywave wrote:
I replied to you other post, but here it goes:

Swarmlord would be a good choice here I think. It could slingshot himse4lf into combat quickly and wreck things without getting shot too much. The Acid Spray Fexes could try to clear any screen in front of targets.

I would go for Leviathan here myself. Very few models, but all the army will benefit from it and would be harder to take down. And if you elect the Flyrant as the Warlord, Levi trait cold be nice and possibly the Miasma Cannon for him too!


Tyran wrote:You can never go wrong with some gants to cover your monsters from charges. If you want more monsters then I would say Carnifexes.

The weapons depends on the meta. The Acid Spray is an amazing defensive weapon, but the Rupture Cannon is better if your have to deal with enemy T8.


Badablack wrote:I’d honestly say go Jormungandr instead. The 2+ cover save on those tyrannofexes will prevent more damage than the 6+ FNP, and you can bring in a ton of units with the Trygon to alpha strike something.


Thanks for all the advice! I played a team game yesterday where I had the Swarmlord to fill in and Jormungandr Hive Fleet. I'm kind of eyeing Leviathan or Kraken for my next one just to see how much I miss the 2+ cover save. A few follow-up questions:

1) Should I even bother aiming the Acid Spray at T7 or T8 vehicles or reserve them solely for infantry? I was able to fire a few potshots at an enemy Falcon, but the results were a little underwhelming. It's looking to me like the Acid Spray is mainly for taking out chaff while my other stuff go for the harder targets ...

2) On that note, what are the ideal targets for my Swarmlord to be aiming at? He absorbed a metric ton of fire before finally falling, but it felt like I under-used him by not aiming him at the harder targets and getting bogged down in the screens.

(Behemoth - 2,000 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 10-8-1 ~ ~8th Ed. Tournament Games: 2-4~

(Alpha Legion - 2,500 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 10-7-2 ~ ~ 8th Ed. Tournament Games: 3-5-2 ~
- Favourite Opponent - Local RTT Dec. 2018

(Vior'la Sept - 1,000 Points Painted) ~ 8th Ed. Casual Games: 4-5-1 ~
- Medusa V Veterans, Konor Veterans
 
   
Made in mx
Rampaging Carnifex



Mexico

The Acid Spray can do wonders against T7, but it will be mediocre against T8. But you want it to double fire, which is tricky with the poor range.
   
Made in us
Scuttling Genestealer



Minnesota

Is there a google doc/excel thats sortable with all our stats?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Arkengate wrote:
Is there a google doc/excel thats sortable with all our stats?


Not that i know of, but i bet you can make your own in 20min

15k+
:harlequin: 4k
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Scuttling Genestealer



Minnesota

Has anyone here used Movement trays? How were they? did they work at all for you and nids?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Arkengate wrote:
Has anyone here used Movement trays? How were they? did they work at all for you and nids?


Yep, they work fine, i use the 5 man ones that are staggered, i also have beastmen and goblins so another reason why i got them. The 10man ones are not very good for 40k, but great for AoS.

15k+
:harlequin: 4k
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Utilizing Careful Highlighting





Augusta GA

I tried out a Jormungandr gunline this weekend with some pretty great results. No real deepstrike to speak of, just tyrannofexes and dakkafexes with lots of shooty chaff and malanthrope support. -1 hit 2+ save monster mash is tough to dislodge, though there were some tough decisions in having short range guns and only a few ways to move it up the board quickly.

One big star was a tyrannofex with the fleshborer hive as an antivehicle/anti elite clearer. Popping the scorch bugs and pathogenic slime strats let it do some nasty damage to enemy knights, obelisks, and other stuff that could shrug off bigger hits but we’re vulnerable to mass small stuff. Wounding on a 2+ on infantry and 4+ on knights is what raised it above acid spray for me, though the acid would still be superior in many instances.
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






 Badablack wrote:
One big star was a tyrannofex with the fleshborer hive as an antivehicle/anti elite clearer. Popping the scorch bugs and pathogenic slime strats let it do some nasty damage to enemy knights, obelisks, and other stuff that could shrug off bigger hits but we’re vulnerable to mass small stuff. Wounding on a 2+ on infantry and 4+ on knights is what raised it above acid spray for me, though the acid would still be superior in many instances.


Nice! I've been wondering about the Fleshborer Hive's viability with the cost drops. Good to see it got some work done. I might have to reconfigure my own T-fexes to do a few test runs...



   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard






Even with scorch bugs, acid spray averages more damage vs a knight. And both of those are better than the rupture (assuming a 3++ of a castellan, at 4 or 5++ it's #2, and 6++ #1). If we had some way to get the Tyranno +1 to hit, the fleshborer hive may be a real competitive choice, but as it stands, I don't think Tyrannos are remotely competitive for anti-tank.

Being good anti-infantry is a role that the codex has no issues filling, so at the end of the day the Tyrannofex remains shelfed for me.

Bring back the stock 2+ on the Tyranno and suddenly it fills an interesting role where it can threaten all targets a little less efficiently than a Carnifex, but is far more durable with T8 and 2+.
   
Made in au
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





I think their versatility (of Acid Spray / Fleshborer Fex) can't be ignored. They don't just hunt tanks they can put the hurt on whatever. They are just real bruisers. I don't think they can solely handle AT duties on their own though.

I personally don't like the Close range TFexes in this edition of piling in to other units


In the case of the Rupture Fex... 48" and 2+ save in Jorm is just a gotdamn brick, and I think they are perfectly viable AT, though I'd still take Hive Guard next to them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/08 01:06:37


P.S.A. I won't read your posts if you break it into a million separate quotes and make an eyesore of it. 
   
Made in us
Utilizing Careful Highlighting





Augusta GA

Hive Guard definitely put more of a hurt on targets, but they are far squishier than a tyrannofex. Also their main defense, shooting from out of LOS, isn’t always available or can be negated. And once they start getting shot at they crumple fast.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Badablack wrote:
Hive Guard definitely put more of a hurt on targets, but they are far squishier than a tyrannofex. Also their main defense, shooting from out of LOS, isn’t always available or can be negated. And once they start getting shot at they crumple fast.


With 36" shooting, if you cant get LoS then you need to add more terrain on the table.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/08 02:33:31


15k+
:harlequin: 4k
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in fr
Automated Rubric Marine of Tzeentch



Netherlands

Post Chapter approved, how good an army base of 3x9 Kronos warriors with deathspitters/venom cannons + tyranid prime for the buff would be?

On paper that's 9 venom cannons plus 25 deathspitters, hitting at 3+ with reroll 1's. Or, 9d3 missile launchers and 25 heavy bolters with added mobility for 850ish pts. Then supplement the rest of the list as needed.

You can also pay the rending claws and now your gunline can protect itself as well.

Do you think something like that could work?

14000
4000
2500 
   
Made in mx
Rampaging Carnifex



Mexico

Why take rending claws when the boneswords are much better? And Kronos is the wrong fleet, Warriors want to be moving so they can use their deathspitters and their melee.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/08 14:13:53


 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle




In My Lab

Tyran wrote:
Why take rending claws when the boneswords are much better? And Kronos is the wrong fleet, Warriors want to be moving so they can use their deathspitters and their melee.


Rending Claws are, correct me if I'm wrong, cheaper.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in dk
Automated Rubric Marine of Tzeentch



Netherlands

Tyran wrote:
Why take rending claws when the boneswords are much better? And Kronos is the wrong fleet, Warriors want to be moving so they can use their deathspitters and their melee.


With the huge volume of attacks from 28 warriors and Ws 2+, I prefer to have the occational -4 ap to rend through a 2+ armor rather than the static +1 ap. Maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes I need to be able to open some metal cans.

14000
4000
2500 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle




In My Lab

The main source of 2+ you'd be looking at are Custodes, who are 2+/4++.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in fr
Automated Rubric Marine of Tzeentch



Netherlands

 JNAProductions wrote:
The main source of 2+ you'd be looking at are Custodes, who are 2+/4++.


At any rate, that's secondary. The main question is, how would sinking 800+ pts into warriors fare as a backbone shooting base to keep your part of the table intact? Then I could fill the board with an extra 80-100 gants for forward objective capping and the remaining points with synapse and utility.

Are 9 venom cannons enough as AV shooting or will I need hive guard support? Will 20 deathspitters be enough anti-infantry shooting or will I need more?

14000
4000
2500 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Boneswords are far better.

For 1 extra point you gain another attack and -1ap all the time.

I'd almost rather scything talons that the rending claws on warriors if I was trying to save points.


Venom cannons are not bad with the points reduction, but they don't put out much more damage than deathspitters on average actually. They pull ahead againgst primaris equivalent and armor, but loose out againgst most anything else for the points.

JOIN MY CRUSADE and gain 4000 RT points!
http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-PLCIKYCABW8PG 
   
Made in gb
Automated Rubric Marine of Tzeentch



Netherlands

 Eihnlazer wrote:
Boneswords are far better.

For 1 extra point you gain another attack and -1ap all the time.

I'd almost rather scything talons that the rending claws on warriors if I was trying to save points.


Venom cannons are not bad with the points reduction, but they don't put out much more damage than deathspitters on average actually. They pull ahead againgst primaris equivalent and armor, but loose out againgst most anything else for the points.


How do you get an extra attack with boneswords over rending claws?

14000
4000
2500 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: